MHA admissions Fall '14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the new PAYE program (that caps compounding interest), on a (very realistic) 10 year repayment plan I'd feel comfortable taking up to (but no more than) 100K or so. Debt free by 35-40 for most of us with tons of future earning power.

Hi ...am from India .. I received rejects from university of michigan , JHU , SLU and am on the waiting list at Columbia . USC and USF have offered me admits . I received an additional mail from USC stating internship opportunities for international applicants are slim and I might be forced to consider residency programs back home . Now I am confused as to whether I should accept USC....also any views on the program at USF ???

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys really think it's realistically worth it to spend $70k for a MHA program? Anyone know any really really cheap programs? I am doing my research and pretty much open to everywhere around the US. My cousin who graduated from JHU said she wouldnt go past $50k when it comes to tuition.

Nope I do not think it's worth it unless you plan on going into consulting/bio/pharma which has a high salary that you can pay off debt . I personally think the research/teaching assistant with the tuition waiver is the way to go. My roommate got her MHSA at Michigan while being a TA and only had to pay for her living. I will be doing the same (except RA) at Berkeley this fall. I would never spend $70k+ on a degree when I can find a program that will waive it! All large public universities have the RA/TA tuition waiver option.

With the new PAYE program (that caps compounding interest), on a (very realistic) 10 year repayment plan I'd feel comfortable taking up to (but no more than) 100K or so. Debt free by 35-40 for most of us with tons of future earning power.

Yikes, I would never do that. I plan on buying a house/getting married/having kids all before that so being in that much debt is just not an option for me.

Yikes, I would never do that. I plan on buying a house/getting married/having kids all before that so being in that much debt is just not an option for me.

It sucks, but for people that aren't wealthy and have dead end undergrad degrees (or a degree with a relatively low ceiling), you are basically faced with the choice of mortgage your future for better earning power or stay debt free with a low ceiling.

Thankfully I won't have that much, but I think anything up to about 100K (at a top tier program) is justifiable. But paying full freight at schools like say, Tulane isn't a good investment.

Last edited:

Just FYI....paying for school is a way better investment than buying a house. Average ROI on a house is 0.6%/yr over the last 30 years

I'm getting married in June; she is a chiropractor with 100k of debt from school, locked in at a great interest rate, I'll take on 100k tops from UNC. We'll pay it off over time because it's considered good debt at a decent rate.

As for salary, I plan on making big bucks as a hospital admin. Personally, I would be more worried that Berkeley isn't CAHME accredited.

Just FYI....paying for school is a way better investment than buying a house. Average ROI on a house is 0.6%/yr over the last 30 years

I'm getting married in June; she is a chiropractor with 100k of debt from school, locked in at a great interest rate, I'll take on 100k tops from UNC. We'll pay it off over time because it's considered good debt at a decent rate.

As for salary, I plan on making big bucks as a hospital admin. Personally, I would be more worried that Berkeley isn't CAHME accredited.

Right..and neither is Harvard, Hopkins, Yale's MPHs. Actually none of the top MPH programs are CAHME accredited besides Michigan. I'm not getting an MHA so this accreditation is basically meaningless to me. I'm just saying that if there is an option to get the same degree WITHOUT taking out a ton of loans (which there is at all the top public universities) I don't think it's practical to be in that much debt. Then you don't have to make a choice between school vs mortgage, you can do both!

Right..and neither is Harvard, Hopkins, Yale's MPHs. Actually none of the top MPH programs are CAHME accredited besides Michigan. I'm not getting an MHA so this accreditation is basically meaningless to me. I'm just saying that if there is an option to get the same degree WITHOUT taking out a ton of loans (which there is at all the top public universities) I don't think it's practical to be in that much debt. Then you don't have to make a choice between school vs mortgage, you can do both!

Again, it's great that you have that option available to you. For those of us who were slow starters in college, we don't all have that option. From a cost/benefit standpoint, it's still justifiable and a good investment in the long run.

Reactions: 1 user
AM RE-POSTING !! HELP !!!

Hi ...am from India .. I received rejects from university of michigan , JHU , SLU and am on the waiting list at Columbia . USC and USF have offered me admits . I received an additional mail from USC stating internship opportunities for international applicants are slim and I might be forced to consider residency programs back home . Now I am confused as to whether I should accept USC....also any views on the program at USF ???

I might be able to pay the huge tuition fee and I might also be able to bear the living expenses ... what worries me most is the prospect of me finding an internship/residency placement through USC and also the prospect of an international applicant when it comes to the job -market

Also I only keep hearing that the global health program at USF is good ... what about the MHA/MPH program ?? where does it stand ?? I only know its CAHME accredited ...Is it a safe bet ??

and after graduating I am looking at working for a private company which will be ready to take care of my VISA

Members don't see this ad :)
AM RE-POSTING !! HELP !!!

I was under the impression if you're in the program they help facilitate a summer internship over the summer that they require you to do. I'd be shocked if they couldn't find you a place to intern at. They even have their own hospitals where you can intern at. Im not sure im following..

I was under the impression if you're in the program they help facilitate a summer internship over the summer that they require you to do. I'd be shocked if they couldn't find you a place to intern at. They even have their own hospitals where you can intern at. Im not sure im following..

I am pasting the content of the mail I received .

Due to the nature of U.S. healthcare organizations and hospitals, it is difficult to find residency placements for international students. The 1,000 hour residency is a requirement of the program, and if you are able to find placement in your home country in the summer or after coursework is completed, the degree can be completed. However, the degree cannot be conferred until the requirement has been fulfilled.

Now do I make sense ?

What are people's opinions on here about USC? I wanted to get some insight on the program. Also congrats to everybody on their decision good luck to everyone!

I just got back from a visit to USC. I met with the program director and he was very enthusiastic about the program. From what I gathered, he became director relatively recently, maybe within 5-6 years? And from his tenure so far, the program has improving based on the stats I found and compared online. Also, I sense USC focuses more on experience with virtually everyone having an internship or related job right from the start. However, the issue is with class size. The cohort is between 60-70 people. And comparing to other programs, that is really large, granted your class size will be mid 20s (except accounting). Another thing to consider is network, the students and faculty harked on the "trojan" network a lot. Take that for what its worth I guess.

I am mostly considering USC or Tulane's. And further feedback between the two would be appreciated and I can answer any USC related questions from my visit.

I am pasting the content of the mail I received .

Due to the nature of U.S. healthcare organizations and hospitals, it is difficult to find residency placements for international students. The 1,000 hour residency is a requirement of the program, and if you are able to find placement in your home country in the summer or after coursework is completed, the degree can be completed. However, the degree cannot be conferred until the requirement has been fulfilled.

Now do I make sense ?

Hmm, I was always under the impression that International students can do their internships or fellowships through Cirricular Practical Training (CPT) or OPT

Again, it's great that you have that option available to you. For those of us who were slow starters in college, we don't all have that option. From a cost/benefit standpoint, it's still justifiable and a good investment in the long run.[/QUOTE

Yea, not everyone has the option of a full tuition waiver. I'm an international student attending GW this fall & I will have a debt of around $30k. I've had a couple of people telling me I'm making a bad decision. I don't have a scholarship or an assistantship in hand. There's really not much I can do apart from work my ass off and hope it reaps benefits.

Again, it's great that you have that option available to you. For those of us who were slow starters in college, we don't all have that option. From a cost/benefit standpoint, it's still justifiable and a good investment in the long run.

Yea, not everyone has the option of a full tuition waiver. I'm an international student attending GW this fall & I will have a debt of around $30k. I've had a couple of people telling me I'm making a bad decision. I don't have a scholarship or an assistantship in hand. There's really not much I can do apart from work my ass off and hope it reaps benefits.

Oh man, where to start on the value of a full price healthcare management program.

Firstly, getting a degree that is mostly to fully funded is a privilege. Whether the money is from parents, relatives, an employer or a school, count your lucky stars if this is a reality for you. Assistantships and TAships are few and far between. Yes, they are available, but there aren't enough to go around. In this scarcity, I don't believe it's fair to say to others that getting the same degree without these resources is the wrong decision.

Now, without the degree if you either lack the network, experience, or skills to a) land an entry level job or b) eventually get promoted to the job you want the degree becomes valuable even without substantial tuition assistance. The question is very personal, though- how valuable is this career to your life (personal and professional goals) and can you realistically make the same amount of money doing something else?

Living with loans for many middle class professionals is indeed very common. You can finance your education, have a family, AND purchase a house. This is an OK practice and you are not alone if you end up doing this.

For the record, there are top programs that are CAHME accredited, including UCLA's MPH and Hopkins' MHA. If I were to make an educated guess I would say that the Hopkins MPH isn't accredited because they have an MHA that is. The MPH in this case is not a management degree but a research and policy degree. CAHME accreditation would be irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi !

I have been accepted into the program and I am looking to connect with the admitted students as well. I couldn't find a fb page so maybe you could take the lead and set one up?

Hi! I just sent in my acceptance two weeks ago. I am looking to connect with students for the class of 2016. Has anyone set up a facebook page already?

Is there currently a MHA Class of 2016 facebook page for those individuals that have committed to Cornell?
Hi! I sent in my decision about two weeks ago for the sloan program class of 2016. Any updates on whether or not someone has set up a facebook page for class of 2016?

This might be a really dumb question to be asking this late. But for graduate school, do programs expect you to pay the entire tuition up front or could you pay in installments? I am trying hard not to take out loans, but I dont think I can come up with 30 grand before fall semester....paying month to month would be a lot more easier to facilitate. Anyone?

Congrats to everyone on their decisions! Does anyone on here have any good health care blogs to keep up with the news.

Congrats to everyone on their decisions! Does anyone on here have any good health care blogs to keep up with the news.

If you're interested in the healthcare IT side, histalk.com is a good one to follow.

Otherwise, I just read reddit.com/r/publichealth for news.

Just wondering. Have any of you started reading before class starts? List of textbooks isn't out yet & I have plenty of time so I'm wondering if I can prepare in some way for my first semester classes. Any suggestions?

Just starting the application process now and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on where I should apply with my respective numbers.

GPA: 3.32 Health Science major from school in a large city
GRE: 145V 151Q, waiting on Writing; may take again
Work experience: interned with AMA Foundation for one semester and a pharmaceutical company for a summer; very involved around campus.

I was leaning toward Oh. State, Iowa, Xavier, Rush, S. Carolina. Thanks ahead of time!
I have appled for the MHA program..am eagerly waiting for a decision to decide between yale and columbia..

P.s. : Sorry for the late reply.
Can u suggest me good universities for MHA in USA with affordable tution??

anyone please suggest me good schools with affordable tution for MHA in usa

Hey guys, I will be attending Cornell this upcoming fall. Does anyone know if they offer GA/TA positions, and how I would go about obtaining a position? Even if you don't have experience with Cornell's program, generally speaking, what's the best way to get a GA position and what is that position like?

Loan Question:

I was offered the unsubsidized loan. Fortunately I have some savings + some financial backing from my family, but will still need to take out a loan and pay month by month. I also enrolled in my schools (ohio state) payment plan, but thats still very tough. The payments are 3 times a semester. So the installments are pretty high. I am trying very hard to be able to graduate without debt. Does anyone know if I am to pay my unsubsidized loan payments WHILE still in school, will I still be responsible for the interest? So by the time I graduate, my principle of whatever I take out will be paid. I read something about a 6 month grace period after you graduate. Does the interest clock start ticking only after you graduate?

Texas resident here applying in the next cycle to a large list of schools. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with schools like UNT HSC. It looks like they recently revamped the program and got themselves accredited with a residency. I am trying to decide between Trinity, A&M, Tech and a few other more local schools to save money. UNT HSC's tuition is extremely low and would be optimal if the program is solid. Thanks in advance!

So, my GRE is over with. I got 161 (87%) in verbal, 145 (21) in quantitative, and 5 (93%) in writing. I know, my math is low. But do you think these scores would really disqualify me from a good program, even though I am going to have a pretty decent application overall? I'm a political science major, so I think that explains some of the disconnect in my scores.

Did you guys fill out sections of the SOPHAS application? I've got all of the required sections done, but there are just the optional parts left like volunteer/work experience, and most of that is mentioned in either my SOP or resume.

Hello everyone,
I have been trying to look for forums with low gpa/gre but I cannot seem to find some:
GPA: 3.03
GRE: 154Q, 145V, 4 Writing.
I was a pre-med major for 3 years then recently switched to MHA. I have a lot of work experience in a hospital as a rehabilitation technician as well as worked two years as a affiliate marketer overviewing 200 customers and affiliates and working hand in hand with top income earners. I am applying to:
Virginia Commonwealth
Ohio State
Columbia
Saint Louis
University of Pittsburgh
Penn State
Rush
George Washington
Johns Hopkins
Medical University of South Carolina.
I was wondering if there is any hope at all for me in this application process because I have not yet be able to submit my application due to my references not responding to my emails. If you guys have any advice at all whatsoever for me please help because I am in desperate need of it and do not know who to turn to. Thank you again.

Hello everyone,
I have been trying to look for forums with low gpa/gre but I cannot seem to find some:
GPA: 3.03
GRE: 154Q, 145V, 4 Writing.
I was a pre-med major for 3 years then recently switched to MHA. I have a lot of work experience in a hospital as a rehabilitation technician as well as worked two years as a affiliate marketer overviewing 200 customers and affiliates and working hand in hand with top income earners. I am applying to:
Virginia Commonwealth
Ohio State
Columbia
Saint Louis
University of Pittsburgh
Penn State
Rush
George Washington
Johns Hopkins
Medical University of South Carolina.
I was wondering if there is any hope at all for me in this application process because I have not yet be able to submit my application due to my references not responding to my emails. If you guys have any advice at all whatsoever for me please help because I am in desperate need of it and do not know who to turn to. Thank you again.
Your experience alone will definately get you far and is a lot more than the average applicant. My gpa was a 3.0 and ig already gotten into 2 out of 7 programs I applied to so far. So I think ur fine. Plus my gre was NOT that great either.