MHA Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone interviewed at Texas A&M?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been stalking this forum for the past 9 months hoping that I could post my own good news one day. Well, I just got my acceptance letter this morning. :) Two years in the making! I doubted this day would even come! (Starting to cry again.)

Undergraduate: USC 2013
GPA Cumulative: 2.17
Major: Psychology
GRE: 316: 157 Quant, 159 Verbal, and Analytical Writing 5.0
Applied: CSULB and USC
Rejected: CSULB
CSULB does not allow UCLA Extension courses to count toward the GPA minimum for the overall graduate program. Only CSULB courses are considered. My undergraduate GPA of 2.17 did not meet the 2.5 requirement to be accepted to CSULB overall, and my application was subsequently not forwarded to the MSHCA department.
Accepted: USC (6/15/15)
Attending: USC

THAT GPA. I know. It's terrible. For several years in college, I struggled with severe depression that began when my two-year-old sister was diagnosed with leukemia. During my undergrad, I was put on academic probation four times; I even failed out of a handful of classes. My senior year, with my sister's remission, I bounced back and graduated with Dean's List honors. Since then, I've been working tirelessly toward applying to USC's MHA program. I took two courses through UCLA extension (stats and econ) and received A's, and currently work in a healthcare-related field through USC.

I guess I'm offering this information for anyone reading this forum who worries that their low GPA makes applying to grad school pointless. I worked extremely hard the past two years to ensure my other qualifications were strong enough to balance out my poor academic history. I am so incredibly happy and proud of myself, and I can't wait to be a double Trojan!!!

Anyway - all the posts on this forum inspired me to apply and to be patient while I waited for the decision (8 weeks!). You guys are awesome - and I can't wait to meet those of you attending USC in August!

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations and good luck in the fall!!
So I've been stalking this forum for the past 9 months hoping that I could post my own good news one day. Well, I just got my acceptance letter this morning. :) Two years in the making! I doubted this day would even come! (Starting to cry again.)

Undergraduate: USC 2013
GPA Cumulative: 2.17
Major: Psychology
GRE: 316: 157 Quant, 159 Verbal, and Analytical Writing 5.0
Applied: CSULB and USC
Rejected: CSULB
CSULB does not allow UCLA Extension courses to count toward the GPA minimum for the overall graduate program. Only CSULB courses are considered. My undergraduate GPA of 2.17 did not meet the 2.5 requirement to be accepted to CSULB overall, and my application was subsequently not forwarded to the MSHCA department.
Accepted: USC (6/15/15)
Attending: USC

THAT GPA. I know. It's terrible. For several years in college, I struggled with severe depression that began when my two-year-old sister was diagnosed with leukemia. During my undergrad, I was put on academic probation four times; I even failed out of a handful of classes. My senior year, with my sister's remission, I bounced back and graduated with Dean's List honors. Since then, I've been working tirelessly toward applying to USC's MHA program. I took two courses through UCLA extension (stats and econ) and received A's, and currently work in a healthcare-related field through USC.

I guess I'm offering this information for anyone reading this forum who worries that their low GPA makes applying to grad school pointless. I worked extremely hard the past two years to ensure my other qualifications were strong enough to balance out my poor academic history. I am so incredibly happy and proud of myself, and I can't wait to be a double Trojan!!!

Anyway - all the posts on this forum inspired me to apply and to be patient while I waited for the decision (8 weeks!). You guys are awesome - and I can't wait to meet those of you attending USC in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I had known about this forum when I was in grad school!

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Speech Language, and Hearing Sciences
GRE: not the best scores
Applied: UNT, UCF, USF, TxState, TX A&M, UIC
Accepted: UCF (12/19), TxState(4/28), TX A&M(6/1)
Rejected:
UNT, USF

School: Big Public State University
GPA: 3.6 Cumulative, 3.6 Major (Took microecon, accounting, and stats, got an A in all 3)
GRE: 299 Total, 155 Verbal (67%), 144 Quantitative (18%), 4.0 Writing (56%)
Major: Health Science Major (Not Pre Med)
Applied: (All CAHME Residential MHA) UNF, UF, UNC Chapel, JHU, UAB
Interview: UF (1/26), UAB (1/16)
Waitlist: UF (2/4), UF (4/10) 2nd Interview to get off wait-list
Rejected: UAB (1/30), JHU (12/29), UNC Chapel (2/18)
Accepted: UNF (10/16), UF (4/14)
Attending: UF - University of Florida (4/14)

Had 2-3 years of decent work experience that was non hospital, but somewhat clinical in nature
hello mha 1234,
I have completed my MBBS in India, and I want to settle in California,USA. I have no plans of writing USMLE. I just want to do MHA. So, I would like to know about the course. Job opportunities, work timings, because I will try for acting auditions as parttime, this is the reason why I want to do MHA.

Hi guys,
So I'm about to graduate from UCI and I was wondering how likely you think it would be that I get into a grad school with my stats? I'm taking a year off to build my resume, but I also have no idea what to do. please help! I really want to get my MPH

Undergrad school: UCI
undergrad cumulative GPA: 3.1 (had a rough year with Ochem/life and transferred out of bio to public health)
major/minor: public health and film and media studies
involved in: public health brigades, medical brigades, global health research, your basic sorority stuff, water polo club (vice president), recreation summer swim program instructor, lifeguard and first aid certified, studied abroad for public health in Bali, interned with the number one NGO in all of Bali for a summer, have 5 certificates from the Bali Institute for global Renewal
----still need to take the GRE, may also do peace corps or americorps

Hi guys,
So I'm about to graduate from UCI and I was wondering how likely you think it would be that I get into a grad school with my stats? I'm taking a year off to build my resume, but I also have no idea what to do. please help! I really want to get my MPH

Undergrad school: UCI
undergrad cumulative GPA: 3.1 (had a rough year with Ochem/life and transferred out of bio to public health)
major/minor: public health and film and media studies
involved in: public health brigades, medical brigades, global health research, your basic sorority stuff, water polo club (vice president), recreation summer swim program instructor, lifeguard and first aid certified, studied abroad for public health in Bali, interned with the number one NGO in all of Bali for a summer, have 5 certificates from the Bali Institute for global Renewal
----still need to take the GRE, may also do peace corps or americorps

Posting in an MHA thread probably isn't going to get you much help with MPH programs. Neither is bumping up two year old program related threads that consist of people who probably no longer post on this forum. If you really want help this season I suggest either posting in the Fall 2016 thread, or if you're applying next year to the WAMC sticky. You are more likely to get more views and/or help from those threads.

Hi All,

I am a current students at UW. I'm originally from CA, so if anyone has questions either about the program or moving, I'm happy to oblige.

This is a year too late, but I was accepted into the MHA program and will be coming from out of state. Can we chat about your experience thus far?

Hi . I am new to this forum and I want to apply for MHA. I havent taken my GRE or have applied to any college yet.

I would like to know how easy is to get financial aid or a graduate assistant job during MHA. Could you please let me know how I could get more information about this from colleges.. Thank you