MHA Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@justin22, of course, the cosmic irony of a bruin helping a trojan. haha. can't wait to watch this year's game.

Thanks a ton for the information, though. It's really very helpful, especially because I'm also considering going into consulting after I finish up my MHA program. You make a lot of great points for aiming for Columbia - especially that part-time consulting gig. Congrats! Though I do have one more question, and I may be jumping the gun, since application season has just started, but how did financial aid work? Cost of living in NYC is high and I'd imagine tuition ain't cheap, so how've you been managing money throughout all of this?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Not to detract from what the Columbia guy is saying (Columbia is a great program) but consulting shops recruit at all well regarded programs. All respected programs also have great career service offices (some are better than others, so ask about this). Just wanted to point this out if you balk at the price tag for private school tuition, because Columbia is really expensive.

Also just wanted to agree that a brand name is very important. It's not a death knell for your career if you go somewhere lesser known, but it's easier to not have to be selling your school in addition to yourself.

One final point - if you're interested in being in a clinical setting, choose a school that has an academic medical center attached, and make sure the school has a good relationship with it. This will afford you a lot of opportunities that you may not otherwise have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @Chillbro Swaggins

Those are really great pieces of advice. In fact, I remember reading your posts in last year's application cycle - very helpful for when I started applying this year. You're both a wealth of information. Definitely appreciate the guidance.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread, all!

Good luck on your interviews, @tarheel15 !

Undergrad School: Georgia Southern University
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Political Science/Health Education & Promotion
GRE: Q-145, V-162, AW-5
Internships with Congressman in DC focusing on healthcare legislation, and as an administrative intern in a hospital this past summer

Applied: VCU, UMN, USC (California and Carolina), Tulane
Interview: UMN (11/21)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Have you heard back from vcu yet??

Not to detract from what the Columbia guy is saying (Columbia is a great program) but consulting shops recruit at all well regarded programs. All respected programs also have great career service offices (some are better than others, so ask about this). Just wanted to point this out if you balk at the price tag for private school tuition, because Columbia is really expensive.

Also just wanted to agree that a brand name is very important. It's not a death knell for your career if you go somewhere lesser known, but it's easier to not have to be selling your school in addition to yourself.

One final point - if you're interested in being in a clinical setting, choose a school that has an academic medical center attached, and make sure the school has a good relationship with it. This will afford you a lot of opportunities that you may not otherwise have.
Completely agree. Do your research and be sure to ask the schools about job placement statistics when you meet with them.

Undergrad: Pepperdine University
GPA: 3.8
Major: Economics
GRE: V-165 Q-151 W-4.5

I've been working in the strategic development branch of a top 50 hospital in the NYC metro area since July.
Very involved on campus in leadership positions, volunteer experience, etc.

Applying to: UNC Chapel Hill, USC Price, Minnesota, SLU, GW, Florida

Edit*
Interviews: UNC (2/23), Minn (2/2), SLU (1/30), GW (1/23)
Waiting to hear from USC and UF

What are my chances of getting into these schools? Where else should I be looking? Not sure how my application stacks up against other applicants...

Last edited:
Undergrad: South Dakota State University
GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Business Economics/ French
GRE: V-165 Q-156, W-5.0

I have six years' experience working as a CNA in a long term care facility, and I feel I did a good job expressing my passion for LTC in my statement of purpose. I've also been involved in numerous health-specific business plan competitions. One thing I worry about with some of the bigger programs is that I am pursuing my MHA directly after my undergrad. This semester, I'm studying abroad in France so I have to wait until I get home to interview. It's killing me!!!

Applied: UMN, Michigan (applied 11/5/14)
Interview: Dates? UMN (1/9)

Should I have heard from Michigan by now? I did get an email that confirmed their reception of my application. I'm also applying to UNC, just need to gather letters of recommendation (WHY can't they let me use SOPHAS?!)

How do you guys feel your interviews at UMN went? I really don't think that I did very well, I feel that way after every interview, but I'm not just not confident in how I did. What did the rest of you think about it?

Also, if anyone knows a good contact at Tulane, I'd appreciate their email address. I have sent multiple messages over there but have either gotten no reply or an automated error message.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: MBBS graduate from India
Undergrad GPA: 3.04(evaluated by wes)
Major/Minor: Medicine
GMAT: 640(72 %ile) V-32(66%) Q-45(63%) W- 4.5

applying only to the hopkins MHA, straight out of undergrad

WORK EX- 2 years volunteered at a local NGO as a healthcare provider during medschool
1 year clinical experience as a medical intern in the district hospital (will be complete at the time of matriculation)
1 year at the same NGO as an administrative intern

have explained my passion to follow management studies in my personal statement and explained what seems to be an average unedrgrad GPA( i was in the 80th percentile of our class)

Applied: Johns Hopkins (22/10)
application forwarded to department on 27th november

Yet to hear back, please put forward your opinion as to my chances of acceptance.

Undergrad School: Northeastern University
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Health Science, Minor in Business Admin, Honors Program
GRE: Verbal 159, Quant 158, Writing 4.0

Applied (12/1): Columbia, Yale, NYU, Cornell, Georgetown, GW
Interview: GW (1/20), Cornell (1/22), Columbia (2/9)
Accepted: GW (1/27), Cornell (2/9), Georgetown (2/10), Columbia (2/10)
Rejected: Yale (1/30)
Attending: Columbia

Last edited:
Didn't get in to UMN. Low quant on GRE and lack of finance classes got me. Honestly, I was surprised to even get asked to interview. On to the next school!

Undergrad GPA: 3.79
Major: English
Minor: Philosophy
GRE Scores: V: 161, Q: 159

School by itself doesn't indicate why an MHA, but I have worked in various healthcare positions over the last 10 years

Applied: University of Minnesota and University of Washington (+ 3 other MPH programs)
Interview: UMN (11/14) and UW (11/21)
Accepted: UMN (11/25) and UW (12/15)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: M.D. from abroad
Undergrad GPA: 3.96 as calculated by WES
GRE: V 158, Q 160, AW 5.5
Applied: 11/24 to U of Michigan, GW, VCU, Hopkins. Planning on also applying to George Mason University in the next few days.

I've been volunteering in medical research for a little over a year and have one publication under my belt. I also have substantial volunteer experience at a free clinic. I'm currently taking a non-degree Master's class which will be over next week. The professor of the class said he'll submit my LoR once he has calculated the final grade. Currently waiting on that and for all transcripts to be sent and matched to the application! I think it should be done in the next week or so. I hope I'm not too late in the application cycle :-/

Undergrad School: Dental School from India
Undergrad GPA: 3.24 WES
Major/Minor: Bachelor of Dental Surgery
GRE: 313 [Q-160,V-153, AWA-4]
TOEFL : 102/120 [R-28, L-28, S-19, W-27]

Experience/Research: 1 yr rotatory clinical internship, more than 2 yrs of professional work experience as a dentist/dental clinic administrator and public health professional [have organised and took part in several community dental check-up camps]

Applied: UMich, UM, UNC-CH, JHU, Tulane, Rush, OSU, SLU
Interview: Tulane, UM, OSU, SLU, UNC-CH
Accepted: Tulane, SLU, UNC-CH
Rejected: UMich, UM, JHU, OSU
Waitlisted:
Attending: UNC-CH

Last edited:
For all of you who have had interviews, did you have onsite interviews for all of them or skype interviews?

For all of you who have had interviews, did you have onsite interviews for all of them or skype interviews?

I've had 3 Skype and 1 onsite so far. Skype hasn't been nearly as awkward as I thought it would be, so don't worry about it if they request one.

I received notice this morning that my SOPHAS app has been verified. One my LoR's still hasn't uploaded the letter but I expect it will be done this week. I used SOPHAS to apply to U of Michigan and GW. How long after verification did you guys start hearing back from programs?

waiting anxiously on JHU, they say it takes around 8 to 10 weeks to reach a decision, will probably wait another 2 3 weeks before calling them up, although it doesn't look like they give out many decisions before jan/feb in any case

waiting anxiously on JHU, they say it takes around 8 to 10 weeks to reach a decision, will probably wait another 2 3 weeks before calling them up, although it doesn't look like they give out many decisions before jan/feb in any case

I applied to JHU late October/early November and didn't hear back until like, April.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back anything from Rush? Also congrats to everyone on your acceptances so far!

anybody with questions specifically about Columbia's MHA program, feel free to shoot me a message. I was accepted last year and started this past Fall 2014.
Do you know if Columbia's MHA program is accredited? I know their MPH program is, but I an interested more in the administrative side. Columbia obviously has a great name and resources, but I'd like to keep my options for a fellowship open, so I'm only applying to accredited programs.

Do you know if Columbia's MHA program is accredited? I know their MPH program is, but I an interested more in the administrative side. Columbia obviously has a great name and resources, but I'd like to keep my options for a fellowship open, so I'm only applying to accredited programs.

Columbia's MHA is not CAHME accredited:

https://www.cahme.org/dbapp2/program_search.php

Has anyone heard back anything from Rush? Also congrats to everyone on your acceptances so far!

No, not yet...I submitted my application around mid-November...after that, I've mailed them thrice regarding my application status...but, no response from their side...!!!

@jdtrojan

Honestly for consulting, I can't imagine a better school. Every major consulting company will have their headquarters in NYC and there are a ton of boutique pharma consulting companies due to the numerous pharma companies across the river in NJ. Our career fairs and networking events consists of literally 40-50% individuals from consulting companies or those who have previously worked in consulting.

In fact, two of my classmate have already received summer practicum offers from Deloitte. Grant Thornton and Oliver Wyman were also here recently. I expect a couple more who will go into smaller companies (including myself) and PwC will be coming back in December to recruit as well. For those interested in hospital admin, I know Mailman students have a great track record at obtaining summer practicum positions at NYP, CUMC, and NYU, which are great programs.

As for financials, yes it's not cheap. A downside about Columbia is that I wouldn't expect a ton of financial aid from them either unless you are near the top this year's application class. I used my offers from other schools (specifically Yale's) to leverage my position with Columbia, who eventually matched my financial aid offer from Yale. They have stated outright they cannot match in-state tuition, but they will do everything they can to help you out. The Director of Admissions/Financial Aid (yes it's the same person) is a great guy and will try to do everything he can to help you out.

I'm paying for everything through a 20k scholarship and the rest through loans. Luckily my part time job has been subsidizing my nightlife and weekends. I'm hopeful a consulting position post graduation will help me pay off these loans quickly!

As an undergrad at an ivy league school, I agree with your rationale on why it is truly the brand name that matters. This is why Cornell and Columbia are my top 2 options for MHA. Would you say that it's significantly easier to land a healthcare consulting position coming out of the Mailman MHA program than any other MHA program simply due to the sheer number of consulting firms who recruit there and its connection with a top MBA program? Also do investment banks recruit Columbia MHA students for their healthcare groups?

I was accepted into Yale's MPH in health management today, and I realized they lost their CAHME accreditation since the last reports came out for rankings (they are currently ranked 14). Aside from not being CAHME accredited they offer MPH, not a MHA. Obviously Yale carries a lot of prestige, but are these factors (CAHME and MPH) detrimental to getting into healthcare administration and a fellowship?

I mean even an admin. fellowship at Yale health strongly prefers a CAHME accreditation.... http://www.healthcaresource.com/ynh...details.cfm&cJobId=617016&iFacilityId=3023078

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Undergrad School: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA: 3.76 (Cumulative) and 4.00 (Major)
Major: Health Policy and Management, Minor: Chemistry
GRE: V-159 (81%), Q-164 (88%), W-5 (93%)

Hospital administrative internship at a major academic medical center this past summer, Research internship in major children's hospital, 4 years of hospital volunteering, currently interning doing health reform research and acting as a student consultant for an international NGO

Applied: Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Cornell, Georgetown, George Washington, UAB, VCU, and Rush - all officially completed 11/10
Interview: Johns Hopkins (12/1), Cornell (12/1), GWU (12/4), VCU (12/5)
Accepted: GWU (12/4), VCU (12/5), Cornell (12/5)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Did you apply to MPH programs?

I was accepted into Yale's MPH in health management today, and I realized they lost their CAHME accreditation since the last reports came out for rankings (they are currently ranked 14). Aside from not being CAHME accredited they offer MPH, not a MHA. Obviously Yale carries a lot of prestige, but are these factors (CAHME and MPH) detrimental to getting into healthcare administration and a fellowship?

I mean even an admin. fellowship at Yale health strongly prefers a CAHME accreditation.... http://www.healthcaresource.com/ynh...details.cfm&cJobId=617016&iFacilityId=3023078

Thoughts?
If you want a fellowship, get an MHA from a CAHME accredited school. If you want to consult it doesn't matter and Yale is an excellent choice.

Nope, only MHA programs. Congrats to everyone starting to hear back!

Yeah sorry, I guess I accidentally clicked on this thread and got REALLY confused as to why everyone was doing interviews all of a sudden (I'm an MPH applicant).

Thoughts?
Congrats on your acceptance! Quick question, I'm still waiting to hear from them, but I'm curious to see if they informed you via e-mail or snail mail?

As an undergrad at an ivy league school, I agree with your rationale on why it is truly the brand name that matters. This is why Cornell and Columbia are my top 2 options for MHA. Would you say that it's significantly easier to land a healthcare consulting position coming out of the Mailman MHA program than any other MHA program simply due to the sheer number of consulting firms who recruit there and its connection with a top MBA program? Also do investment banks recruit Columbia MHA students for their healthcare groups?

Last edited:
Anyone heard much from Tulane, Southern Cal, or South Carolina?

Congrats on your acceptance! Quick question, I'm still waiting to hear from them, but I'm curious to see if they informed you via e-mail or snail mail?
Got an email last Friday.

Thoughts?

Hey @Bcmdnc , great question.

I considered the same program and had similar thoughts. Yale HCM grads do get great internships, fellowships and post-graduate full-time jobs. Speak with as many current students as you can and, better yet, connect with alum in your area that would be willing to meet up with you for coffee to talk about their experiences and where their classmates went post-graduation. I did hear from a student who decided to go there that they are working for their CAHME accreditation. I would also consider talking to faculty and asking them about the accreditation and how it affects students. As far as the MPH goes, that generally doesn't seem to make a difference for internships and jobs so I wouldn't worry about that.

Got into Hopkins! Yay!

After interviewing with Teresa last month, it seems like a rigorous (but great!) program. Does anyone have any thoughts on the accelerated nature of the program and its subsequent residency? Curious to see what people's opinions are.

Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users