MHA Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Got into Hopkins! Yay!

After interviewing with Teresa last month, it seems like a rigorous (but great!) program. Does anyone have any thoughts on the accelerated nature of the program and its subsequent residency? Curious to see what people's opinions are.

Thanks!

Congrats on acceptance at JHU...!!!:)

Looking forward to my application...still in nascent stage at JHU...!!!:xf:

Congrats @jdtrojan ! I was accepted to Hopkins as well! It will definitely be a difficult decision between a traditional 2 year program or their accelerated program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, @MHA1234 for the guidance. It's always good to have this forum (and its posters) as a sounding board for stuff like this. And congrats @tarheel15 ! I'm feeling the same way - trying to weigh the costs and benefits of being in a traditional program vs Hopkins' accelerated one. Glad to know I'm not the only one! :)

Hey @Bcmdnc , great question.

I considered the same program and had similar thoughts. Yale HCM grads do get great internships, fellowships and post-graduate full-time jobs. Speak with as many current students as you can and, better yet, connect with alum in your area that would be willing to meet up with you for coffee to talk about their experiences and where their classmates went post-graduation. I did hear from a student who decided to go there that they are working for their CAHME accreditation. I would also consider talking to faculty and asking them about the accreditation and how it affects students. As far as the MPH goes, that generally doesn't seem to make a difference for internships and jobs so I wouldn't worry about that.

@Emma1600 thanks for info! I am talking to some current students and some people in the program! Everyone seems to love the program!

Question:

Since USC Sol Price and Cornell have late application deadlines, Mid July and April, respectively, when would be a good time to submit the application? I originally planned on taking the GRE in early March. Would it be foolish to wait this long?

Question:

Since USC Sol Price and Cornell have late application deadlines, Mid July and April, respectively, when would be a good time to submit the application? I originally planned on taking the GRE in early March. Would it be foolish to wait this long?

I don't think it hurts to get them in as soon as possible. I sent mine to USC the first week in October, and have only heard that they have received everything. Take from that what you will.

Hello all,

I have an interview w/ OSU's MHA program next week and was wondering if anyone interviewed for OSU recently? If so, can someone provide information on the interview day process and common questions that were asked?

thank you!

Thanks, @MHA1234 for the guidance. It's always good to have this forum (and its posters) as a sounding board for stuff like this. And congrats @tarheel15 ! I'm feeling the same way - trying to weigh the costs and benefits of being in a traditional program vs Hopkins' accelerated one. Glad to know I'm not the only one! :)

Congrats, jdtrojan! Maybe I'll see you later this year... Yes, its ~$49k for the first year but you are eligible to receive 75% off that for the second plus a full-time paid gig w/ benefits for the remaining 11 months. By the time you factor that in, you are about breaking even and coming away with a healthcare education from JH, no less. The best thing goin' IMHO. Come join me and let's kick some ass! :soexcited:

Congrats, jdtrojan! Maybe I'll see you later this year... Yes, its ~$49k for the first year but you are eligible to receive 75% off that for the second plus a full-time paid gig w/ benefits for the remaining 11 months. By the time you factor that in, you are about breaking even and coming away with a healthcare education from JH, no less. The best thing goin' IMHO. Come join me and let's kick some ass! :soexcited:
Haha! I'm digging the enthusiasm! I'm also definitely going to go to one of their admit days (when they open those up for sign-ups). Last time I visited Hopkins was 7 years ago, so I'm due for another look at the campus! Congrats buddy!

Members don't see this ad :)
jdtrojan, sent you a PM with my contact/LinkedIn info. For anyone else who is visiting JHU and would like some working knowledge of the place and the area, meet up for a beer, whatever... let me know and I'll send you a PM also.

Good luck to everyone here. Healthcare is a relationship-driven industry - more so than any other I've ever been in. Collaboration amongst one another is pivotal to our individual successes as well as the industry as a whole. Please feel free to contact me or connect with me on LinkedIn if only to keep a door open if in case one day in the future we can be of value to one another.

Take care.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all!

It's my first time posting after much lurking! I just got an e-mail from Ohio State inviting me for an interview with other candidates for the end of the month. Have any of you tried to get a phone interview instead of the on campus one before? I live in california without a job right now...

Hello all!

It's my first time posting after much lurking! I just got an e-mail from Ohio State inviting me for an interview with other candidates for the end of the month. Have any of you tried to get a phone interview instead of the on campus one before? I live in california without a job right now...

I live in California too and I totally feel you. I got an interview at GWU next week, and I chose onsite because I think I'll do so much better than thru Skype, although I was a little reluctant at first because of the expense and weather...
So I think it's whichever way you think you'll do better at, I know some people prefer phone because they feel more relaxed.

If you don't mind, when did you get your email saying that your application has been processed for reviewing?
I just got that email yesterday and wondering how long it takes to hear from them again?
Thanks

On campus is always better especially if it's your #1 choice. You will seem not serious, Unless you have a really good reason why you can't come, a Skype interview may put u off as not that interested. If it's not a top choice for you then do Skype. But if it's a school you really want to attend go in person. Many schools do use phone and Skype for a a lot of their interviews. If you are in a dire financial situation, I would contact the admissions coordinator and see what she says about it after you explain your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you for the reply! I appreciate your input. I e-mailed the school and asked them a general question if they even consider phone/skype instead of on-campus (since they did not indicate it as an option whatsoever in the e-mail). My financial situation is not the best, but I will see how they respond to my question.

I live in California too and I totally feel you. I got an interview at GWU next week, and I chose onsite because I think I'll do so much better than thru Skype, although I was a little reluctant at first because of the expense and weather...
So I think it's whichever way you think you'll do better at, I know some people prefer phone because they feel more relaxed.

If you don't mind, when did you get your email saying that your application has been processed for reviewing?
I just got that email yesterday and wondering how long it takes to hear from them again?
Thanks
Good luck! I dont mind the phone vs in person. I even have the time to go for a week if I want to! but it's purely the money. I don't have a job right now and I even had the school waive my application fee. So spending around 500-600 bucks to travel is a bit much if I can just do it over Skype. But again, its my future (as many people will say) and whats 500 bucks for a position in a great school. as you can tell, I'm still on the fence. I am looking into airbnb options to make the trip cheaper.
I got my e-mail inviting me to an interview earlier today (jan 6th). But I never got an e-mail my application is processed. It just invited me for an interview even though my application is pending approval for a fee waiver! weird, i know. I submitted SOPHAS a few weeks ago and just submitted the supplemental a day ago.

Any one else receive this email from Columbia's HPM department?

"Thank you for your application to the Department of Health Policy & Management (HPM) at Columbia University. We have enjoyed reviewing your submissions, and we are looking forward to putting together a dynamic cohort of students. As a part of the admission process HPM is conducting informal interviews to learn more about you and also answer any questions you may have about the program. Over the next few weeks a current student in the department will be contacting you via email to schedule a phone call. They will ask you to talk a bit about your background and interest in healthcare policy and management, and specifically our MHA program at the Mailman School of Public Health

We look forward to talking with you!"

If so, does anyone know what to expect and if there is an actual formal in person interview?

thank you!

Just an FYI: JHSPH phone interviewed me after they had already met me at the open house. It is just part of their process... they'd prefer it as opposed to dealing with the logistics of in person interviews - even when I work at the same institute across the street, lol. I wouldn't sweat the phone interview vs. in-person, personally. Your time would be much better spent preparing for the types of questions you may receive than on planning a trip, IMO.

I was accepted into Yale's MPH in health management today, and I realized they lost their CAHME accreditation since the last reports came out for rankings (they are currently ranked 14). Aside from not being CAHME accredited they offer MPH, not a MHA. Obviously Yale carries a lot of prestige, but are these factors (CAHME and MPH) detrimental to getting into healthcare administration and a fellowship?

I mean even an admin. fellowship at Yale health strongly prefers a CAHME accreditation.... http://www.healthcaresource.com/ynh...details.cfm&cJobId=617016&iFacilityId=3023078

Thoughts?

@Bcmdnc, if I may ask, when did you submit/verify your SOPHAS application to Yale's MPH in health management program?

Thanks!

Hi everyone- I'm supposed to be interviewing with GWU next week. I wanted to know if anyone has interviewed with them and what to expect. Specifically, how long will the interview process take in terms of hours, and how long until I get an answer back from them? Thanks

I know some people prefer phone because they feel more relaxed.

If a trip to conduct a face-to-face interview can't be done due to finances, that is one thing. But opting for a phone interview in lieu of a live interview simply because it makes the applicant feel more comfortable is not a good idea.

Let's face it, as applicants, we have zero leverage in this process. The respective admissions departments hold all the cards, so what's the point of making one's self more comfortable if it might possibly undermine your efforts to get into the program?

I have been on the other side of desk in several interview/selection processes, and there are many, many things these people take from live meetings. Remember, it's estimated that over 90 percent of all communication is non-verbal. Most of how you present yourself and relate to other people can be ascertained only through a face-to-face meeting.

It begs the question: If the idea of a phone interview seems preferable merely because it gets you out of having to meet someone face-to-face, then how honestly can you sell yourself as a legitimate leader or motivator? And is leadership potential not 'the' key trait all the best programs are looking for?

Bottom line: Skype and phone interviews are merely acceptable - but not good - alternatives if you absolutely can't afford to make the trip. But if there's any way you can make the trip - especially for the programs you most covet - do so. Your goals and ambitions are worth it, not to mention it would be wise to assume most of the competition will opt for a personal visit.

In short, invest in and bet on yourself! Good luck everyone...

Last edited:
Anyone had news from Tulane? Also waiting on Southern Cal and South Carolina, but as of now Tulane is my top school.

Any one else receive this email from Columbia's HPM department?

"Thank you for your application to the Department of Health Policy & Management (HPM) at Columbia University. We have enjoyed reviewing your submissions, and we are looking forward to putting together a dynamic cohort of students. As a part of the admission process HPM is conducting informal interviews to learn more about you and also answer any questions you may have about the program. Over the next few weeks a current student in the department will be contacting you via email to schedule a phone call. They will ask you to talk a bit about your background and interest in healthcare policy and management, and specifically our MHA program at the Mailman School of Public Health

We look forward to talking with you!"

If so, does anyone know what to expect and if there is an actual formal in person interview?

thank you!

I got one from Columbia as well. I doubt that there is in-person interview. The Mailman school gets so many applicants from all around the world, but the admission is not as competitive as that of the business school.

Speaking of interviews, last Thursday I sat for a live interview with two members of the faculty at the University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou). I have applied to their residential MHA program. For what it's worth, here's a summary of my experience:

Timeline-wise, their admissions department acknowledged receiving my application on November 2nd. Around the 11th of December, I was invited to interview. My schedule for the following week was booked, then the holidays kicked in, so that pushed my interview to the 8th of January. That worked in my favor, as it gave me time to prepare.

Most of it consisted of reading up on the health care industry and multiple run-throughs of a list of about 25 interview questions. My wife read them to me and it provided an enormous benefit in that it allowed me to formulate my responses.

The improvement from one practice run to the next was significant. I highly recommend doing this as crafting your response is not something you want to have to think about when the time comes. This will free your mind to concentrate on your visual presentation, maintaining eye contact, etc.

I met with the first individual for about 30 minutes; the second one took an hour (both were scheduled for half an hour). Neither one felt like an interview. Both had the feel of an orientation or informational discussion, with the premise being that I was already "in" and that my enrollment was a foregone conclusion. That is not the case, but both discussions had lots of things like "You will find... your classmates will... local alumni and professionals are very supportive of our program... you'll have the opportunity to..."

The only question I was asked by either one of them was whether I had any questions.

Based on how these conversations went, I feel cautiously optimistic. However, nothing is official until it's official.

UPDATE: On January 23rd, I received a call from the recruiting/admissions coordinator telling me that I have been accepted and will soon be receiving an offer letter via e-mail.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of interviews, last Thursday I sat for a live interview with two members of the faculty at the University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou). I have applied to their residential MHA program. For what it's worth, here's a summary of my experience.

Timeline-wise, their admissions department acknowledged receiving my application on November 2nd. Around the 11th of December, I was invited to interview. My schedule for the following week was booked, then the holidays kicked in, so that pushed my interview to the 8th of January. That worked in my favor, as it gave me time to prepare.

Most of it consisted of reading up on the health care industry and multiple run-throughs of a list of about 25 interview questions. My wife read them to me and it provided an enormous benefit in that it allowed me to formulate my responses. The improvement from one practice run to the next was significant. I highly recommend doing that as crafting your response is not something you want to have to think about when the time comes. This will free your mind to concentrate on your visual presentation, maintaining eye contact, etc.

I met with the first individual for about 30 minutes; the second one took an hour (both were scheduled for half an hour). Neither one felt like an interview. Both had the feel of an orientation or informational discussion, with the premise being that I was already "in" and that my enrollment was a foregone conclusion. That is not the case, but both discussions had lots of things like "You will find... your classmates will... local alumni and professionals are very supportive of our program... you'll have the opportunity to..."

The only question I was asked by either one of them was whether I had any questions.

Based on how these conversations went, I feel cautiously optimistic. However, nothing is official until it's official.

Viejo- what resource did you use for practicing questions? I have an interview this week and would like some sort of sample question set so that I can practice.

Viejo- what resource did you use for practicing questions? I have an interview this week and would like some sort of sample question set so that I can practice.
Here's what my wife and I used (attached). During each practice session we went through every question on Page 5.

There's lots of good guidance in the rest of it as well. The idea of sending a thank you e-mail after the interview is a great tip I took advantage of; I sent one to both professors the night of my interview as well as to the admissions lady who scheduled the interviews. Best of luck...

Attachments

• Interview prep.pdf
    30.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Here's what my wife and I used (attached). During each practice session we went through every question on Page 5.

There's lots of good guidance in the rest of it as well. The idea of sending a thank you e-mail after the interview is a great tip I took advantage of; I sent one to both professors the night of my interview as well as to the admissions lady who scheduled the interviews. Best of luck...

Thank you, this is a great resource! I appreciate it.

congrats on mich, everyone please update your interview dates, acceptance dates, rejection dates, and attending!

Last edited:
Got into UMich MHSA!!!!! Yay!!!!!
Congratulations. From what I can see, you're the first one to get admitted to UMich's MHSA program.

You list India as your location. Did you go to Ann Arbor for a visit/interview or did you interview via phone/Skype?

And assuming you did interview, would you mind giving us an overview of the experience? Thanks...

Last edited:
Outstanding Artemis - thank you for sharing that with us. And again, congratulations on your acceptance.

I just had an interview at Rush on Friday (applied in mid December). Thought it went really well and the interview itself was not too stressful, they just basically want to know why healthcare and why their program. Was extremely impressed and hoping to hear back in the next few weeks.

Anyone had news from Tulane? Also waiting on Southern Cal and South Carolina, but as of now Tulane is my top school.
Hey, got accepted into Tulane yesterday...not my first choice...but happy for now...:) good luck wid ur application...:thumbup:

Last edited:
@Artemis181...it is may be because many people applying to UMich and other schools as well are not posting here....what I can see from the last year's same forum is that people are less active on this front...!!!

Last edited:
Hey, got accepted into Tulane yesterday...not my first choice...but happy for now...:) good luck wid ur application...:thumbup:
Hii..Congrats on your acceptance. I got interview mail from Tulane today. Can u tell me about your interview experience with them and wat they ask.

I just received an e-mail from UMich's HMP department inviting me for a visit day and interview. I submitted to SOPHAS on October 4th and UMich called my application complete on October 22nd. I plan to attend and will report back.

Last edited:
Congrats Phoenix and Artemis on your acceptances.
I just heard back from UMich as well today. My application was deemed complete mid-dec, though I submitted it end of November, and I just heard back today.
I'm planning on attending the visit day in February.
GWU interview tomorrow :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hii..Congrats on your acceptance. I got interview mail from Tulane today. Can u tell me about your interview experience with them and wat they ask.

I was interviewed by Dr. Steinberg...She was very friendly and considerate about the whole process [there were some internet and skype account issues during this process]...many basic questions were asked and they were related to my SoP and Resume but in a roundabout way ..."Why MHA...Why Tulane...My work experience in a management role...My greatest challenge in my working environment...My future goals...Which subject interests me in the MHA program..If I knew any of their professors or not...etc" Lastly, I was asked if I had any questions to them...n that's all I can remember right now...Hope that helps...Good luck with ur interview...:thumbup::)

I was interviewed by Dr. Steinberg...She was very friendly and considerate about the whole process [there were some internet and skype account issues during this process]...many basic questions were asked and they were related to my SoP and Resume but in a roundabout way ..."Why MHA...Why Tulane...My work experience in a management role...My greatest challenge in my working environment...My future goals...Which subject interests me in the MHA program..If I knew any of their professors or not...etc" Lastly, I was asked if I had any questions to them...n that's all I can remember right now...Hope that helps...Good luck with ur interview...:thumbup::)
My interview is also scheduled with Dr. Steinberg. Thanks for the info