MHA Fall 2016: Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Second year UNC MHA'er here, feel free to reach out with questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Had my OSU interview last Friday, and just confirmed for Missouri and SLU next week. Pitt emailed me last week as well, to let me know I had been accepted! I thought all MHA programs did interviews though.

Had my OSU interview last Friday, and just confirmed for Missouri and SLU next week. Pitt emailed me last week as well, to let me know I had been accepted! I thought all MHA programs did interviews though.

I'll be at SLU the same day!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when part-time MHA applicants for Columbia find out about decisions? The deadline isn't until mid-April so I can't help but feel that the decisions are released a little later than those of the full-time program. I applied on January 9th :) Any help would be appreciated!

School: Middle of the pack U
GPA: 3.7/3.6 Health Education
GRE:154/154/4.0
Major:H.E
Applied:OSU, Rush, Indiana, UIC, VCU
Interview: Rush, OSU, UIC
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:Rush, OSU, UIC
Attending:Rush

Last edited:

Congrats on the acceptance!

From what I've read most do like to conduct interviews but it isn't a necessity

How long did it take for you to hear from OSU

Accepted to OSU! Didn't expect to hear back from them so quickly after I interviewed with them last Friday.

I'll be at SLU the same day!

Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you! Hope we both do well

Congrats on the acceptance!

From what I've read most do like to conduct interviews but it isn't a necessity

How long did it take for you to hear from OSU

Thanks! OSU actually got back to me about the interview a week or so after I submitted my application. I don't know if that's typical, though.

Just got invited to interview at Michigan. Excited to be done with this process soon!
Hello. Congrats on ur interview. U r just 1 step away from the admission decision :thumbup:. I was invited for onsite campus visit (U of M). Since I am an international student, I am going for Skype. How did your interview go? How many candidates showed up on that day?

Doctor from india graduated this year, currently working at a hospital
have been doing volunteer work since past 3 years, applying only to MHA programs and MPH in health administration
GPA: 3.04 as calculated my WES, modest GPA as MBBS in my university was pretty hard to pass
GMAT: 640 V32(66%ile) Q45(63%ile) AWA 4.5
Applied:applying to JHU MHA, Columbia MHA, Yale MPH healthcare administration conc, BU MPH in HPM, and USC MHA
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:
Hello
I am also an international student. Did you hear back from any of those colleges?

Hello
I am also an international student. Did you hear back from any of those colleges?
hi akki99, i got rejected from jhsph, accepted to BU, still to hear back from others

Hii
Thank you for the info. It was really informative. Unfortunately, I am an international student so I will not be able to attend the onsite tour. I scheduled a skype interview. So, do u have any idea on the % of international students per cohort? Any one more thing will my admission decision be affected for choosing skype over onsite?

Hi, sorry for the super late reply! Unfortunately, I do not know about how many international students are in each cohort. That could be a question you ask though!

School: small liberal arts college
GPA: 3.8
GRE: 158 V, 154 Q, 4.5 W
Major: Psychology and Philosophy double major
Applied: Columbia
Interview: Columbia
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Columbia!!
Attending:

Did anyone else get an interview at Columbia? Not sure what so expect since the interview is with a current student as far as I understood. Any advice/suggestions? Generally, do most applicants get interviewed or does that mean I'm somewhat shortlisted?

Update: was accepted recently - over the moon! Waiting for financial aid package though...

Last edited:
School: Large, Private School in FL
GPA: 3.3 (Major was lower, but I don't remember what it is)
GRE: 160V/152Q/5W
Major: Neuroscience, Classics, Minor in Chemistry
Applied: SLU, JHU, GW, Tulane, USouth Carolina, University of MD, Mt. Sinai (MPH with specialty track)
Interview: GW (skype), SLU (On-site), Tulane (skype), USouth Carolina (Phone--I canceled the interview)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: GW, SLU, Tulane, Mt. Sinai
Attending: SLU :)

I graduated 2 years ago and since graduation I have been working in administration, but not in the healthcare field. Just to note, I applied to Hopkins in November -- I have yet to hear back. At this point I don't care since I found the school for me, but I think it's extremely unprofessional to not reply to phone calls or return messages (I called at different times in the day over a 3 week period). Anyways good luck everyone! If anyone has questions about interviews, feel free to ask me :)
Hello RPSJ1111
I attended interview with SLU(Skype) 2 days back. I haven't heard from them yet. What is the wait time for SLU? I received a mail from the admissions office before scheduling the interview that the final decision would be made on the same day of the interview. But, I haven't received any update. Does that mean I am rejected?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello RPSJ1111
I attended interview with SLU(Skype) 2 days back. I haven't heard from them yet. What is the wait time for SLU? I received a mail from the admissions office before scheduling the interview that the final decision would be made on the same day of the interview. But, I haven't received any update. Does that mean I am rejected?
Thanks in advance!

I did my interview in person so I do not know if the protocol for admission is the same for a Skype interview.

Is there anyone interviewing at UMich tomorrow? I haven't gotten any additional info since their confirmation email and was wondering if I should be concerned.

Is there anyone interviewing at UMich tomorrow? I haven't gotten any additional info since their confirmation email and was wondering if I should be concerned.
Let me know How it went! Hope it goes well!

I'm interviewing in two weeks, and I also have not heard anything since registering!

I did my informal interview for Columbia, and my interviewer said I should expect to hear back in about 3-4 weeks. Is that about the timeline people have been hearing/expecting?

I'm interviewing in two weeks, and I also have not heard anything since registering!
Turns out the interview portion is actually via Skype after the visit day, so stay tuned. Also, I ended up getting info the day before my visit day.

Turns out the interview portion is actually via Skype after the visit day, so stay tuned. Also, I ended up getting info the day before my visit day.

wait what...!? really? lol this is the first I'm hearing of it being that way. All the threads I've been reading said the interview portion was at some time during the visit day.

Accepted at OSU on Thursday, and SLU yesterday!

I interviewed in person on Friday. They told me I was accepted at the end of the visit day.
Ohh. Thats wonderful. Congratulations. I interviewed via Skype. Haven't heard from them yet.

Hello everyone! I took my GRE today and have a low score :(
146 quant and 145 verbal
can anyone tell me what schools (if any) can I apply to? I do not think my score is likely to improve at this time.

So, that's about 25th percentile for both...

What are your other stats? GPA? Your description says dental student- is that the case? If so (or for your other schooling), where (don't need exact name of school, but a general idea of its level is fine)? Do you have experience in public health?

Hey there! GPA is a solid 3.89
And yes, I finished my BDS from India about a year ago - small private college
I have a 6 month internship with a US based dentist as a Chair side assistant (so not exactly Public Health)
In India, I work full time at the local dispensary and have organized multiple dental camps etc, which I think should qualify as public health experience.

I did not recieve any call from DDS programs that I applied to, hence MHA became the next logical step for (albeit a little late in the game). At this time I am at a disadvantage for Fall 2016 because deadlines for so many schools are over. Of course the GRE test score and school minimums of at least 300 are not helping. Trying to figure out what my options are from here - without having to sit out the whole year..

So I got invited to UICs "open house" today... Does anyone know anything about this program? I know it's fairly new. Not sure if it would be worth it to go considering I've already been accepted to SLU and OSU.. Any thoughts?

Accepted to Minnesota yesterday! Now just gotta hear back from Michigan and I'm done

Where are you thinking about attending at this point?
TBD! I gave myself the very arbitrary date of March 15th in terms of making a decision. Really want to live in Seattle, was very impressed by UNC, might get in-state tuition at Michigan (I am technically considered to be OOS because I left for school, but I'm from Michigan + my parents still live there, so I applied for residency).

Hi everyone--just received a confirmation for my interview at UNC on campus. Does anyone know the format of the interview? Is it formal or informal? Example interview questions? Thanks!

I am a first year MHA student at the University of Florida if anyone has any questions about that specific program.

Some typical questions and answers:

1. Do rankings matter? : No they do not. The USNews rankings is based off a subjective 5 point scale done by professors. Nothing else. No other data like job attainment rates, knowledge, specific classes taken, average salary, gpa, etc. Again I will state again, they mean literally nothing. Refer to #3

2. Does going do a higher ranked school make any difference?: No. So if you are deciding between UAB and UMich or USC vs VCU, my answer would be attend whats cheaper, and if they are the same price, go with which has better weather. Refer to #3

3. What is most important thing you should look for in a school?: My answer would be job placement lists, as in where did the last years class get jobs? This list is usually easily found on the programs website. If the program says they do not track this data, thats is a red flag and typically means the school has no network/weak alumni base, do not attend any program that does not track recent graduates and where they end up. The whole point of attending a "good" program is that old and recent alumni will hire people straight out of the program.

4. Will I get in to X program with "insert gpa, gre, extra curricular"?: I honestly cannot tell you with any certainty. Apply broadly, and do not be afraid to apply to out of state, you never know they may offer you in state tuition or a waiver of some sort. I applied to 7 schools, got into half. I think it is a gamble applying to only 1-3 programs. Applying to more then 10 is kind of overkill.

5. Last year my inbox was flooded with Indian and Chinese nationals about rankings: "Should I attend UMichigan over UMinnesota"??. Again it wont make any difference, attend the cheaper program. No one will care what school you went to after a few years of work experience, and if the school has a good network (which a ton of schools have, not just highly ranked ones) then you will have no problem getting a fellowship or entry level job at a good system. Refer to #3

6. What should I put the most effort regarding my application: I would say personal statement, spend a lot of time going over, and having different people read it. This will be the only thing in most applications to make you stand out from the pack. Everyone already has a good gpa and good gre, how are you different? etc.

7. Does doing a dual degree have any effect/or is it worth it to get (MBA/MHA) or (MHA/MPH) or any similar combo? I will say no. Programs will try to sell you on having balanced education, but these dual degrees are a cash cow for schools. They are not worth it, especially when you factor in the extra year of tuition, rent, bills, and lost opportunity cost from not working after year 2, In fact I will say if you can attend a MBA program with a good network (top 25 ranked), do not waste your time getting an MHA or MPH, the MBA will have more value on its own, and will give you the option to switch sectors later if you get tired of healthcare. For 95% of people in this thread, just get the MHA.

Thats about all I can think of for right now. PM me or ask away. Again #3 is key here, nothing else really matters.
Hello MHA1234
Firstly, u did provide a lot of info in one page. :claps:
Thanks to u.
Secondly, Could you help me wid d admission process for UF. Do u think my application wud b considered if I apply at this point. I am on wait list for SLU and UW. So, I thought it wud be btr if I had a backup plan. Coming to my profile. GRE- V-157, Q-164, Undergrad- Pharmaceutical sciences. Masters- Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2yrs exp in Pharmaceutical industry.
Are there an prerequisites for UF MHA prgrm. Wat are my chances of being accepted?

Curious as to what everyone is thinking at this point? I think I am leaning toward SLU.

Curious as to what everyone is thinking at this point? I think I am leaning toward SLU.

I was just offered a GRA at Missouri that will cover full tuition and give me a stipend. So I'm currently leaning that way. I was deciding between SLU and OSU before (haven't interviewed at Minnesota yet). SLU offered me a GRA but it would still leave me paying roughly 30k there, and I haven't heard back from OSU about assistantships yet. Anyone have any thoughts on whether going to Mizzou would be worth saving the extra 30k I would be spending at SLU or OSU?

So it seems like people who applied to the MPH-HPM program have started receiving their acceptances. Looks like the MHA-HPM program is on a different time table of acceptance releases from the MPH ones. Don't really know if I can wait another 2-3 weeks...!!!

I personally think 30k in the grand scheme of things won't really matter. Im personally basing my decision on the program alone and not tuition.

I was just offered a GRA at Missouri that will cover full tuition and give me a stipend. So I'm currently leaning that way. I was deciding between SLU and OSU before (haven't interviewed at Minnesota yet). SLU offered me a GRA but it would still leave me paying roughly 30k there, and I haven't heard back from OSU about assistantships yet. Anyone have any thoughts on whether going to Mizzou would be worth saving the extra 30k I would be spending at SLU or OSU?

School: separate undergraduate degrees from New York University and DePaul University
GPA: 3.52 combined, per HAMPCAS
GRE: 162V, 154Q, 3.5 AW
Major: economics/dental hygiene I've been working as a clinical dental hygienist for 10 years
Applied: Rush, UIC (I have to stay in Chicago)
Interview: Rush (scheduled in a few weeks), UIC (no interview required but invited to the same "info session" mentioned above)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Two things. Can anyone tell me more about their experience with the Rush interview?

The other thing, regarding the "rankings don't matter at all" post. Can you honestly tell me there's no difference between Rush (#5) and UIC (#38)??? I only saw a couple others who even applied to that program. It's half the price..

Last edited:
So it seems like people who applied to the MPH-HPM program have started receiving their acceptances. Looks like the MHA-HPM program is on a different time table of acceptance releases from the MPH ones. Don't really know if I can wait another 2-3 weeks...!!!

If you're talking about Columbia, I got my acceptance email from Columbia's MHA-HPM program on 2/12, verified on 12/3, submitted 11/30

How long after your visit day did you have your Michigan Skype interview?

Still haven't had it, even though they told me I would be contacted no later than the 11th. Extremely unimpressed, tbh.

Hello MHA1234
Firstly, u did provide a lot of info in one page. :claps:
Thanks to u.
Secondly, Could you help me wid d admission process for UF. Do u think my application wud b considered if I apply at this point. I am on wait list for SLU and UW. So, I thought it wud be btr if I had a backup plan. Coming to my profile. GRE- V-157, Q-164, Undergrad- Pharmaceutical sciences. Masters- Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2yrs exp in Pharmaceutical industry.
Are there an prerequisites for UF MHA prgrm. Wat are my chances of being accepted?

Its pretty standard admission process, just apply, you have nothing to loose, like i said before I have no idea of chances, but I think you would be a good applicant

Currently about to finish my second year in the MHA program at OSU. If anyone has specific questions about the program, ask away!

If you're talking about Columbia, I got my acceptance email from Columbia's MHA-HPM program on 2/12, verified on 12/3, submitted 11/30

Oops! Yeah I forgot to put that my post was in relation to Columbia.

Congrats!! That's an accomplishment! When did you have your interview? I applied on Jan 15, and only had my interview a week ago, so I'm curious as to what their turnaround time is.

I just got an admit from USC ! I am so elated ! Anyone here planning to join the MHA program at USC!

Oops! Yeah I forgot to put that my post was in relation to Columbia.

Congrats!! That's an accomplishment! When did you have your interview? I applied on Jan 15, and only had my interview a week ago, so I'm curious as to what their turnaround time is.

Thank you! I had my interview on 1/11. Good luck!!