MHA Fall 2016: Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill for me

Members don't see this ad.

Attending OSU! If anyone else is going there, contact me!

Hello all, I had a question for those accepted into Cornell's MHA program. When you received your acceptance decisions, how did you receive them? There is a letter on my graduate school application that says "Congratulations on your acceptance to Cornell Graduate School" and a field to designate whether I would like to accept or decline the offer. However there is no indication of my application to the MHA program, and I have not received a phone call, email, or regular mail letter. Should I take this with a grain of salt?
hey! i was wondering if you could tell me about the interview? i have my interview coming up and I'm not sure what to expect/what kind of questions will be asked. would appreciate any sort of advice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! i was wondering if you could tell me about the interview? i have my interview coming up and I'm not sure what to expect/what kind of questions will be asked. would appreciate any sort of advice! Thanks!

First and foremost, be sure to have a clear story of why you want to purse the MHA degree (vs. any other professional degree, ie. what makes the MHA unique). Make sure you have an idea of how your undergraduate studies, past work, and personal experiences tie together to bring you towards a career in Health Administration. Know also what you would specifically like to do in health administration (consulting, work in provider or payer systems etc. and how you seek to innovate or make an impact). Second, know the curriculum. Be sure to know the courses offered and which stand out to you, what questions you may have about the classes, colloquium, guest speaker panels etc. I spent hours looking over the courses, faculty, and pieces of the program. Third, recollect a few instances of leadership, and how you led the charge or brought efficiency to a team setting. Be ready to bring up challenges you faced in these settings and how you facilitated a solution. Clearly outline in your mind the process a team should use when put in a group and given a task, and what your role tends to be in this process. Last, be ready to address any inconsistencies or weaknesses you might have in your application. If this last part isn't brought up, and the interviewer asks if there is anything else you wish to discuss at the end of the interview, be sure to ask if they had any concerns when looking over your application. It helped me to write all this stuff down and organize it on paper. All of these things came up when I interviewed. Read over your essay carefully as well! Your story is the most important thing. Good luck on your interview. If you've made it to this stage you will probably be accepted! And the conclusion I came to after all the research I did is that the program is awesome.

I am a first year MHA student at the University of Florida if anyone has any questions about that specific program.

Some typical questions and answers:

1. Do rankings matter? : No they do not. The USNews rankings is based off a subjective 5 point scale done by professors. Nothing else. No other data like job attainment rates, knowledge, specific classes taken, average salary, gpa, etc. Again I will state again, they mean literally nothing. Refer to #3

2. Does going do a higher ranked school make any difference?: No. So if you are deciding between UAB and UMich or USC vs VCU, my answer would be attend whats cheaper, and if they are the same price, go with which has better weather. Refer to #3

3. What is most important thing you should look for in a school?: My answer would be job placement lists, as in where did the last years class get jobs? This list is usually easily found on the programs website. If the program says they do not track this data, thats is a red flag and typically means the school has no network/weak alumni base, do not attend any program that does not track recent graduates and where they end up. The whole point of attending a "good" program is that old and recent alumni will hire people straight out of the program.

4. Will I get in to X program with "insert gpa, gre, extra curricular"?: I honestly cannot tell you with any certainty. Apply broadly, and do not be afraid to apply to out of state, you never know they may offer you in state tuition or a waiver of some sort. I applied to 7 schools, got into half. I think it is a gamble applying to only 1-3 programs. Applying to more then 10 is kind of overkill.

5. Last year my inbox was flooded with Indian and Chinese nationals about rankings: "Should I attend UMichigan over UMinnesota"??. Again it wont make any difference, attend the cheaper program. No one will care what school you went to after a few years of work experience, and if the school has a good network (which a ton of schools have, not just highly ranked ones) then you will have no problem getting a fellowship or entry level job at a good system. Refer to #3

6. What should I put the most effort regarding my application: I would say personal statement, spend a lot of time going over, and having different people read it. This will be the only thing in most applications to make you stand out from the pack. Everyone already has a good gpa and good gre, how are you different? etc.

7. Does doing a dual degree have any effect/or is it worth it to get (MBA/MHA) or (MHA/MPH) or any similar combo? I will say no. Programs will try to sell you on having balanced education, but these dual degrees are a cash cow for schools. They are not worth it, especially when you factor in the extra year of tuition, rent, bills, and lost opportunity cost from not working after year 2, In fact I will say if you can attend a MBA program with a good network (top 25 ranked), do not waste your time getting an MHA or MPH, the MBA will have more value on its own, and will give you the option to switch sectors later if you get tired of healthcare. For 95% of people in this thread, just get the MHA.

Thats about all I can think of for right now. PM me or ask away. Again #3 is key here, nothing else really matters.

Hey how was the interview process. I am also applying to UF?

School: University of the Incarnate Word
GPA: 3.10
GRE: Still to take
Major:BA Biology
Applied: University of the Incarnate Word, Trinity University
Interview: UIW
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:UIW
Attending: ?

I wanted to see if I can get some input. I applied to UIW and had the interview. Within one hour from my interview being done they sent me an email saying they wanted me in the program. I also got help to pay half of the tuition. My concern is: Trinity is ranked top 10 programs in the nation. I haven't taken the GRE yet so, should I? Or should I just go with UIW? If anyone has gone through something similar or has anything to say please let me know!!

School: University of the Incarnate Word
GPA: 3.10
GRE: Still to take
Major:BA Biology
Applied: University of the Incarnate Word, Trinity University
Interview: UIW
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:UIW
Attending: ?

I wanted to see if I can get some input. I applied to UIW and had the interview. Within one hour from my interview being done they sent me an email saying they wanted me in the program. I also got help to pay half of the tuition. My concern is: Trinity is ranked top 10 programs in the nation. I haven't taken the GRE yet so, should I? Or should I just go with UIW? If anyone has gone through something similar or has anything to say please let me know!!
Hi, local texan here. I am going to yale in the fall but Trinity was my second choice. If you can get into Trinity, go there. It is a much better program. Trinity will feed you into a better hospital and has a better class of students. I would pay full price for Trinity before doing the half from Incarnate. Trinity MHA would pay off. It might be too late, but Baylor MBA with health care focus is a good choice too. Trinity is the best though. Go there if you can. If you get an interview message me back and I can give you the interview run down. Incarnate just doesnt have much of an alumni base. Best of luck!

Hi! My name is Lana and I've been accepted to Cornell MHA and I am looking for a roommate. Message me if interested!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is it worth considering getting a MBA and or another advanced degree after completing a MHA? Also what certifications do people get after completing an MHA?

Hi ! So your GRE score looks great ! I had volunteered in many medical check up camps organized by Lions Club( a famous club for community services in India) and Being a dentist I did volunteer in Free Dental Services camps organized by my college. I worked for a year part time in a private dental practice. I worked on a research project based on Edutainment in my final year, I uploaded the documents of this project. Along with this I guess a good SOP would do the deal. Let me know if you get admitted to USC :)

Hi I am new to this forum. I am planning on applying for MHA. Still haven't taken my GRE yet. Is it ok to without the GRE scores.

I am a first year MHA student at the University of Florida if anyone has any questions about that specific program.

Some typical questions and answers:

1. Do rankings matter? : No they do not. The USNews rankings is based off a subjective 5 point scale done by professors. Nothing else. No other data like job attainment rates, knowledge, specific classes taken, average salary, gpa, etc. Again I will state again, they mean literally nothing. Refer to #3

2. Does going do a higher ranked school make any difference?: No. So if you are deciding between UAB and UMich or USC vs VCU, my answer would be attend whats cheaper, and if they are the same price, go with which has better weather. Refer to #3

3. What is most important thing you should look for in a school?: My answer would be job placement lists, as in where did the last years class get jobs? This list is usually easily found on the programs website. If the program says they do not track this data, thats is a red flag and typically means the school has no network/weak alumni base, do not attend any program that does not track recent graduates and where they end up. The whole point of attending a "good" program is that old and recent alumni will hire people straight out of the program.

4. Will I get in to X program with "insert gpa, gre, extra curricular"?: I honestly cannot tell you with any certainty. Apply broadly, and do not be afraid to apply to out of state, you never know they may offer you in state tuition or a waiver of some sort. I applied to 7 schools, got into half. I think it is a gamble applying to only 1-3 programs. Applying to more then 10 is kind of overkill.

5. Last year my inbox was flooded with Indian and Chinese nationals about rankings: "Should I attend UMichigan over UMinnesota"??. Again it wont make any difference, attend the cheaper program. No one will care what school you went to after a few years of work experience, and if the school has a good network (which a ton of schools have, not just highly ranked ones) then you will have no problem getting a fellowship or entry level job at a good system. Refer to #3

6. What should I put the most effort regarding my application: I would say personal statement, spend a lot of time going over, and having different people read it. This will be the only thing in most applications to make you stand out from the pack. Everyone already has a good gpa and good gre, how are you different? etc.

7. Does doing a dual degree have any effect/or is it worth it to get (MBA/MHA) or (MHA/MPH) or any similar combo? I will say no. Programs will try to sell you on having balanced education, but these dual degrees are a cash cow for schools. They are not worth it, especially when you factor in the extra year of tuition, rent, bills, and lost opportunity cost from not working after year 2, In fact I will say if you can attend a MBA program with a good network (top 25 ranked), do not waste your time getting an MHA or MPH, the MBA will have more value on its own, and will give you the option to switch sectors later if you get tired of healthcare. For 95% of people in this thread, just get the MHA.

Thats about all I can think of for right now. PM me or ask away. Again #3 is key here, nothing else really matters.

Hi Congratulations. I am new to this forum and I want to apply for MHA. I havent taken my GRE or have applied to any college yet. I would like to know how easy is to get financial aid or a graduate assistant job in UF. Could you please let me know. Thank you

Hi . I am new to this forum and I want to apply for MHA. I havent taken my GRE or have applied to any college yet.

I would like to know how easy is to get financial aid or a graduate assistant job during MHA. Could you please let me know how I could get more information about this from colleges.. Thank you

Hello!

I am applying to the Rush program this cycle and have just found out that I am on the waitlist. I was wondering if anyone from last year had experience with the waitlist (how long you had to wait to find out) specifically at Rush or could give me any info on how long they give people to make a decision once accepted.

Any info would be helpful! Thanks

Hey everyone, I just decided to switch from clinical medicine to the business side. I want to apply for an MHA for the Fall of 2017 and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I haven't taken the GMAT yet but I saw a couple schools who accept the MCAT instead but was wondering if there were any others. Also, what is the average GPA for MHA programs and anyones opinions on applying this late.

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I just decided to switch from clinical medicine to the business side. I want to apply for an MHA for the Fall of 2017 and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I haven't taken the GMAT yet but I saw a couple schools who accept the MCAT instead but was wondering if there were any others. Also, what is the average GPA for MHA programs and anyones opinions on applying this late.

Thanks!

While some programs do accept the MCAT and GMAT, all of them accept the GRE. The GRE is also easier than the other two, so you could score better with less time/effort. I'm not sure how long it would take for your application to become complete since you haven't taken any exams yet; so I don't know how late you'll apply. Go ahead and check the application deadlines for the schools you want to apply to - as long as you apply within those dates you'll probably have a good shot at getting in! Most schools require a minimum GPA of 3.0. Some might even accept a lower GPA if the rest of your application is strong.

I'd suggest reading through this thread and older threads to get a sense of how late people applied and whether they got admits. And go through the 2017 thread too - you can see where people are in the 2017 cycle.

All the best!

Second year UNC MHA'er here, feel free to reach out with questions.
Hi any idea how can I improve my profile to get scholarship my gre is 324 Gpa 3 1 yr work experience in a dental clinic and various other experience too