MHA MHA vs MSHA vs MHCA vs MPA vs .....??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHA Pursuit USA. YAY/NAY

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Colleagues,

Which of these is more reputed for MHA? I'm yet to start applying, so even multiple suggestions would help me.

1. Georgia State Uni

2. Missouri

3. Tulane

4. National Louis

5. St. Louis

6. Florida Atlantic Uni

7. Texas A & M

8. Hofstra

9. Georgetown Uni

Also, is there any major difference in the following: Or are they just the same as Master of Health Administration (MHA)

Master of Healthcare Admin

Master of Health Services Admin

Master of Health Systems Admin

Master of Health Management

Master of Science in Health Administration

I'd be really grateful if you gave me a response.

Thank you so much,

Kris

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Kris,

Consider how much school debt you currently have (if any) in addition to the total cost of the MHA program. I saw that you're in dentistry. Do you plan on utilizing the MHA within the dental sector or are you thinking about transitioning into a major hospital? Also, will you be working during the course of your studies? If so, I would recommend an online, hybrid, or weekend program. Many esteemed schools now offer their entire curriculum online, so this is worth considering.

Even though an MHA is a masters degree, I see it as more of a "credential", thus it makes little sense to spend a ton of money to obtain the same degree that you could have obtained instate. For instance: If you're an unemployed MD/DO, you're still a physician. If you're an unemployed RN, you're still a nurse. If you're an unemployed MHA, you're not an administrator (the job must be obtained in order to fulfill the title). As with any credential, the MHA will be a component of your qualifications, or in many instances, a mere prerequisite that is needed to apply for a given position. Thus, it is a small portion of you're comprehensive professional package.

As far as the degree titles are considered, they are essentially the same thing. If you look at many healthcare administration job postings, they will typically state, " Master's of Health Care Administration or Business Administration is required and ____ years of supervisor/managerial experience". In other words, they do expect you to have an understanding of finance/risk management/accounting, but they are more interested in your achievements. Lastly, all the schools that you listed seem solid, so I would go with the one that is least expensive and CAHME accredited. Hope this helps.

-Cory

Last edited:
Hi Kris,

Consider how much school debt you currently have (if any) in addition to the total cost of the MHA program. I saw that you're in dentistry. Do you plan on utilizing the MHA within the dental sector or are you thinking about transitioning into a major hospital? Also, will you be working during the course of your studies? If so, I would recommend an online, hybrid, or weekend program. Many esteemed schools now offer their entire curriculum online, so this is worth considering.

Even though an MHA is a masters degree, I see it as more of a "credential", thus it makes little sense to spend a ton of money to obtain the same degree that you could have obtained instate. For instance: If you're an unemployed MD/DO, you're still a physician. If you're an unemployed RN, you're still a nurse. If you're an unemployed MHA, you're not an administrator (the job must be obtained in order to fulfill the title). As with any credential, the MHA will be a component of your qualifications, or in many instances, a mere prerequisite that is needed to apply for a given position. Thus, it is a small portion of you're comprehensive professional package.

As far as the degree titles are considered, they are essentially the same thing. If you look at many healthcare administration job postings, they will typically state, " Master's of Health Care Administration or Business Administration is required and ____ years of supervisor/managerial experience". In other words, they do expect you to have an understanding of finance/risk management/accounting, but they are more interested in your achievements. Lastly, all the schools that you listed seem solid, so I would go with the one that is least expensive and CAHME accredited. Hope this helps.

-Cory

Hi Cory,

First up, thanks a ton for your detailed reply. I'm a dentist with a master's degree.

"Do you plan on utilizing the MHA within the dental sector or are you thinking about transitioning into a major hospital?"

Either opportunity would suit me just fine.

"Even though an MHA is a masters degree, I see it as more of a "credential", thus it makes little sense to spend a ton of money to obtain the same degree that you could have obtained instate".

This makes so much sense and its a very valid point to consider. And thanks so much for your suggestion regarding the schools.

But here's the thing. I'm a Dentist based in India trying apply to a reputed MHA program there. I do not have any academic debt. However, for doing my MHA in the USA, I'd have to shell out something to the tune of $50K or more. At the same time, I'd like to pick up a few years of experience in the US after I graduate (atleast till the time I clear off the loan I may take) and then get back to India.

Here's where my doubts creep in: would a recruiter consider employing an International Graduate? Why wouldn't they, you may ask:

Well, 1. Obtaining a work visa for me is an expensive affair for the hospital/company

2. I know there's raging debates about this but I still like to believe there's a certain stigma attached to online programs, and I'm certain it (unofficially or psychologically, whatever) takes a tiny bite off your recruitment chances.

So (TL: DR) - Even if I enroll in the 100% on-campus program, I don't want to empty my bank account only to see that I may not find employment in the USA after the program. I'm trying my best to find some first-hand information about this. Do you happen to know anyone in such a stance?

Thanks once again Cory.

Cheers, Kris.