MI Resident, Really Need Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSB72993

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Currently I am a MI Human Biology major finishing up the first semester of my junior year in a couple of weeks. For the first two years of college, I actually didn't do too bad, getting a 3.8, 3.7, 3.85, and a 3.5 the first four semesters of college, along with getting A's in all of my summer courses that I took at the university, not through a community college. As of right now, going into finals, my cummulative GPAs are cGPA 3.75 and sGPA 3.58. I came very close to As in a lot of my basic sciences but honestly missed a lot of them by a couple of points and ended up with a 3.5 in many of them. This has mostly been to immaturity and partying way too much when I knew that I should have been studying.

This semester is going to be a rough one, and I honestly don't think I'm going to get any As in any of my courses. I won't end up with any Cs, but its looking like multiple 3.0s and 3.5s, and is going to really hurt both my cGPA and sGPA (might be an overall of 3.2-3.3). That being said, I am extremely worried about especially my sGPA as it may fall under even a 3.5, and I'm devastated. I take the MCATs next June and plan on trying to do as best as I can, and hopefully by the end of the next spring semester I will have a cGPA of 3.7+ and a sGPA of ~3.5. Should I even apply to medical schools? These are the list of schools I would be applying to (I really don't want to do DO):

University of Michigan (very doubtful about here)
Wayne State University (my #1 choice, have a father and grandfather that went there, not sure if it helps)
Michigan State College of Human Medicine
Oakland University
Western University
Central University

Not sure if I should apply to any OOS schools because of the cost of them, but I would be looking for something in the midwest at the very farthest, with stats around that of the MSU College of Human Medicine.

Sorry for the long post guys, but I was thinking about just holding off applying for a year, getting my GPA up higher senior year and even taking a gap year to take some post-bac classes to raise it even more and maybe even retake the MCAT for a higher score. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Currently I am a MI Human Biology major finishing up the first semester of my junior year in a couple of weeks. For the first two years of college, I actually didn't do too bad, getting a 3.8, 3.7, 3.85, and a 3.5 the first four semesters of college, along with getting A's in all of my summer courses that I took at the university, not through a community college. As of right now, going into finals, my cummulative GPAs are cGPA 3.75 and sGPA 3.58. I came very close to As in a lot of my basic sciences but honestly missed a lot of them by a couple of points and ended up with a 3.5 in many of them. This has mostly been to immaturity and partying way too much when I knew that I should have been studying.

This semester is going to be a rough one, and I honestly don't think I'm going to get any As in any of my courses. I won't end up with any Cs, but its looking like multiple 3.0s and 3.5s, and is going to really hurt both my cGPA and sGPA (might be an overall of 3.2-3.3). That being said, I am extremely worried about especially my sGPA as it may fall under even a 3.5, and I'm devastated. I take the MCATs next June and plan on trying to do as best as I can, and hopefully by the end of the next spring semester I will have a cGPA of 3.7+ and a sGPA of ~3.5. Should I even apply to medical schools? These are the list of schools I would be applying to (I really don't want to do DO):

Wayne State University (my #1 choice, have a father and grandfather that went there, not sure if it helps)
Oakland University
Western University
Central University

Not sure if I should apply to any OOS schools because of the cost of them, but I would be looking for something in the midwest at the very farthest, with stats around that of the MSU College of Human Medicine.

Sorry for the long post guys, but I was thinking about just holding off applying for a year, getting my GPA up higher senior year and even taking a gap year to take some post-bac classes to raise it even more and maybe even retake the MCAT for a higher score. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
I think you will fare better in the application process if you show an upward grade trend after such a mediocre term. A "trend" consists of more than one data point, which means, waiting to apply until after your senior year, at a minimum, as you want to have your transcript demonstrate convincing evidence that you you are capable of academic consistency.

One semester won't sink you. Think cGPA, not semester GPA.

You're just going to have to ace the following semesters. Stop partying so hard and study effectively.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

Oakland University
Western University
Central University

Ohio Schools usually allow OOS to qualify as instate after 1 year. I would consider adding those to the list (U of Toledo, Wright STate, U of Cincinnati). Oakland is private, about $45K/year. Best of luck.

Do well next semester. On AMCAS, your grades are averaged out by year, not semester! Keep your head up, home stretch!

A 3.7 cGPA and a 3.5 sGPA (your projections) are good enough for most MD schools. Score well on the MCAT and make sure you have solid ECs.

I see little reason for you to be concerned at all.