Miami - Anesthesia Residency and Department

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This just posted today... (Brand new interview with Dr. David Lubarsky, Chairman of Anesthesia Dept. at Univ. Miami). I am curious to hear everyone's opinions of the residency and training program at U. Miami -- and especially his views on the future of Anesthesia...

http://anesthesiology.med.miami.edu/x122.xml

Enjoy.

D712

Members don't see this ad.

This just posted today... (Brand new interview with Dr. David Lubarsky, Chairman of Anesthesia Dept. at Univ. Miami). I am curious to hear everyone's opinions of the residency and training program at U. Miami -- and especially his views on the future of Anesthesia...

Enjoy.

D712

Average to slightly above average.

The program trains CRNAs. That is a big black mark on the institution, and I'm sure it plays a role into his view of the future.

As long as we have sellouts training CRNAs in an academic setting like U of Miami, we're done as a specialty. Pie in the sky academics love to talk about "
perioperative medicine", or every anesthesiologist as a practicing intensivist, but we have to be realistic about the future of both inpatient hospitalist and ICUs. Do they think that internal med hospitalists or the med/surg/pulm/neph CCM guys will take it lying down? They've got no reality with regards to reimbursement models, where even our esteemed MilitaryMD, an ICU doc who hates "stool sitters", sticks to the OR for the $$

Average to slightly above average.

Is that in regards to the training? It seems like they have tons of clinical opportunities?

I hear you loud and clear re: the CRNA training issues. I found it interesting that they have senior residents supervise rooms of CRNAs as would seem to happen in private practice...

D712

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that in regards to the training? It seems like they have tons of clinical opportunities?

I hear you loud and clear re: the CRNA training issues. I found it interesting that they have senior residents supervise rooms of CRNAs as would seem to happen in private practice...

D712

Having residents supervise CRNAs is pretty common. Most places it starts late CA-2 year.

Sure, the program sounds average to slightly above average. What makes a really excellent program, anyway? People have been having this discussion for years. Jackson is such a craphole hospital, and that plays to lower the quality of the program relative to others.

Will you come out well-trained? Probably, but most places offer that. The telemedicine sounds cool, but I don't think that really elevates it to "top tier" status. I thought CCF was the biggest anesthesia program in the country...and the 128 bed NICU sounds fancy, but you'll get that sort of training at any big kids hospital.

There is alot of "fluff" in the article, and usually places don't need to have an "interview with the chair" on their dept website to prove how cool they are to interviewees. Seems a bit gauche. Given what I've heard about the program, it's not really surprising.

Thanks for replies Coastie!

D712

D712, I did a cardiac anesthesia rotation as a medical student at UofM. This is what I can tell you:

• You will get adequately trained, especially trauma and the critically ill.
  • You will work hard.
  • Jackson is a huge place and the program has many residents. Consequently you may feel like a number, which is good if you want to remain in the background.
  • Residents are put on probation if they don't perform on their ITE, etc. Pressure to do well is always pervasive.
  • While I was at Mount Sinai (peripheral CT rotation), I saw 2 residents per CT room. :scared: Not ideal, but that may be how they start their CT rotations... I don't know. The residents were not happy about it. That never happened at my program.

I've had a couple of locums from UofM step into our OR's and they all have been competent.

I interviewed with Dr. Ghallagher (Board Stiff) while I was down there. Cool guy. I don't think he is still there, but it shows that it attracts at least some quality staff.

Lubarsky can sell ice to an eskimo. He is a great speaker and a business man.

Miami, South Beach and the Keys are great to have while you decompress from a long week. It is expensive and if you live far from work the commute can be aggravating, but it's the price you pay to be at a resort city year around. While I was there I became pretty good friends with a CT surgeon. Took us out to the Keys on his boat 3 times during my 6 week stay. So if you like the ocean... it's there for the taking most of the year and it's fantastic. The music scene is excellent. A lot of cuban jazz around... but really any taste is easy to find.

I'm not going to go into details, but my wife and I were offered a spot outside the match. We turned it down. I think the day to day grind was a bit more than we wanted. Not necessarily the work... but once you take into account the drive and the expense of having a a rental home in Miami, it ultimately didn't meet our needs. That being said, I know a lot of people who lived in those high rise resort condos right off of Ocean Drive. They were very happy residents. :D

All this needs to be taken with a grain of salt as I interviewed there about 7 years ago.

Good luck.

Thanks, Sevo. I should say, and I thought I mentioned this at some time on this site and on my MD Apps prior, that I do have a tangential connection to the department (some work here and there), and yes, I do love living near Miami.

Dr. Gallagher is now the PD of Anesthesia at Stony Brook. Dr. Michael Lewis has been at UM for a while now, and is a well known Anesthesiologist with a focus on Geriatric Anesthesia.

Reading these opinions from folks around the country is very interesting!!!

D712

Enjoy.

D712

I recently spent a month rotating through the program. The residents work like dogs. The trauma cases are often taken by the Army. On the bright side, I did feel that the education was still superior to most programs because of the never ending supply of really sick patients. You see everything at Jackson. Also, the attendings I interacted with seemed interested in teaching and were good overall. I would have gladly gone to the program if I hadn't switched from anesthesia.

regional (most of us do less than 5 peripheral blocks before our one month of it during CA3 year),

That is hard to fathom. How do you get through 2 years of anesthesia doing only 5 blocks? At a trauma center with all those fractures? There are many DAYS when I'll do 5 blocks. They are missing opportunities to provide better care and to learn.

Last edited:
That is hard to fathom. How do you get through 2 years of anesthesia doing only 5 blocks? At a trauma center with all those fractures? There are many DAYS when I'll do 5 blocks. They are missing opportunities to provide better care and to learn.
It's not. There are a number of otherwise good programs which suck at regional. They are great at other things.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, we do our regional rotation as CA-3s however we do on average 6-8 weeks of it, covering most regional blocks in 2 hospitals during that time. Plenty of residents go on to private practice performing blocks in their practices without fellowship.

Yes, we do our regional rotation as CA-3s however we do on average 6-8 weeks of it, covering most regional blocks in 2 hospitals during that time. Plenty of residents go on to private practice performing blocks in their practices without fellowship.

Showing up early in the morning and helping to block team get consent and starting ivs is a great way to get some blocks in when you aren't on blocks rotation. It will optimize your actual rotation if you show up having already done 15-20.