Miami versus Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTbull

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Both good schools. Don't have any other info other than warmth and sun is always good!:)

Very true- but I've been raised in Florida my whole life. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I picked Temple over my other acceptances because the faculty was absolutely stellar and I really identified with how dedicated they are about creating top notch health professionals.

The students I met seemed like the kind of group I would want to be with - very focused, driven and not sheltered. I liked the diversity and the real world environment of the campus.

I also like the program schedule. I think a summer session will help everyone get up to speed and find a rhythm as a class before we start anatomy. I also appreciate a three year program that gives you the time needed to really learn the information.

I know that they have made several changes in the past couple of years and I appreciate that they have taken such a critical look at their program to make changes that they believe will enhance the student's success and experience.

I can't wait to get started!

I'm just having a REALLY hard time deciding. I also got wait listed at MGH- so I'm trying to at least narrow it down between Miami and Temple right now. I've lived in FL since I was 3 and have wanted to leave so going to Miami would put a temporary stop on that. But Miami is better ranked AND cheaper tution. Neither area is the best as far as cost of living and safety. I also have a fiance and will be getting married during the first winter break so it's not just me I am deciding for.

I had a great interview at Temple and was 100% set on going there mainly because I didn't think I would get in to Miami. I got some bad vibes from my interviewer in Miami but he is a new professor and it was the first interview of the year they offered so it could have been nerves.

Both are three year programs. Miami starts sooner than Temple.

Does anyone know about both schools?

I'm just having a REALLY hard time deciding. I also got wait listed at MGH- so I'm trying to at least narrow it down between Miami and Temple right now. I've lived in FL since I was 3 and have wanted to leave so going to Miami would put a temporary stop on that. But Miami is better ranked AND cheaper tution. Neither area is the best as far as cost of living and safety. I also have a fiance and will be getting married during the first winter break so it's not just me I am deciding for.

I had a great interview at Temple and was 100% set on going there mainly because I didn't think I would get in to Miami. I got some bad vibes from my interviewer in Miami but he is a new professor and it was the first interview of the year they offered so it could have been nerves.

Both are three year programs. Miami starts sooner than Temple.

Does anyone know about both schools?
when does miami start? temple starts in july.

im not sure about the cost of living in miami, but being a philadelphia native i can tell you that philly is pretty inexpensive when compared to other major cities....nowhere close to cities like nyc, boston or DC.

Miami starts in May. I've compared rent and to live in a good neighborhood in each city it's pretty much the same cost of living.

When I was having trouble deciding I sought out folks on the message board that are currently students at the school I was considering. I talked with a first year and a third year at one of the schools. I just found old posts of theirs and private messaged them. I got a better sense of the schedule and faculty then I would have otherwise. It was especially helpful to hear from a third year who was entering their final clinical rotation because the could reflect on the full experience. Of course these were just a couple of opinions but they were honest and they helped shed light on a few specific things I had questions about allowing me to move toward a decision.

Good Luck - this is the toughest part!

Thanks for the advice. I have 95% decided on Miami- just cheaper, better location, and all around good school. I would have loved to get out of Florida but just because I go to school here doesn't mean we're stuck here! Now hopefully I don't get in to MGH (I'm waitlisted) otherwise it's going to be a VERY hard decision!

I wrote to Dr. Carp and let him know. It was hard- I loved Temple!

Last edited:
Greyhound, when is your interview at Temple. When I went it was amazing. The area not so much. But coral gables isn't the best either. You think it's hard now, wait til you get to checkout temple's faculty and facilities then your head will start spinning.

What did you mean by seeing the faculty and facilities? Is it that amazing? Also, do you have any idea when you should be hearing back from Temple following your interview?

I interviewed at Temple as well. The facilities are state of the art since the anatomy lab building is only two years old. The faculty seemed very caring and I think the curriculum shows its potential students that they are aware of the difficulty of the program.

Dr. Carp told us we should hear back after 3 weeks. So, the Nov. 12 cycle will prob hear back sometime after Thanksgiving.

I'll be interviewing at Temple when they bring in the next cycle of applicants. I believe that won't be until after the holidays. My interview at Miami is 12/3. Bizzle, have you visited both schools? It sounds like you've been to Coral Gables. I'm from Allentown, PA so I know the Philly area very well an agree the area around the school can turn you off. What did you mean by seeing the faculty and facilities? Is it that amazing? Also, do you have any idea when you should be hearing back from Temple following your interview?

Hey greyhound,

I know better to apply to Miami with my stats. Did you check out the other threads. Someone with a 3.6 said that the people she/he interviewed with had even better stats. So I sure as hell wasn't going to apply, just doesn't make sense. I'm from Florida and have been to Miami, not the campus though. Just like Philly, Miami has it's good parts (south beach) and the bad parts. I'm pretty sure Miami has nice facilities also. I was just saying that coral gables area is not that far off from the area where tample's DPT is at. Have you seen bad boys or bad boys 2 lol.

Anyway, I was up at the interview with BBrocc. Temples faculty was so impressive, caring, supportive. The facilities are top notch. You get your very own cadaver, but you only work on one side because the Med students get the left side (I think) but you guys have the lab at different times. At the other school I interviewed with, there would be 4-5 people sharing one cadaver all at the same time. At temple you get your own. The library is amazing, the adcom does a great job of finding students that support each other. The faculty really is supportive, and just reading all our experiences from temple is not enough. When you go to interview with them you will see for yourself. This is all my opinion btw. The area sucks though, but the students tell me it's actually not bad. Just go to class and when you wanna hang out and relax from school you don't go to that part of town lol, I don't have to tell you, your from up there so you know how it is.

Miami is fun though.

To mention their clinicals. They have international affiliations which are not competitive. Anyone can choose one according to one of their current students. However, Miami may also have this. Basically, you have two top schools that you are interested in so that's good. I'm just saying that you may have a hard time deciding if you don't already have your mid set on just one program.

Jbizzle - I'm a first year at SBU. It's a great program! When is your interview?

Jbizzle - I'm a first year at SBU. It's a great program! When is your interview?

SBU as in Southwest Baptist University, not Stony Brook. Just edited my signature

Last edited: