This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bear21

not premed, 4th year w/o time to change status
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need some advice from people who know more than I. This thread is really more about program styles than these schools specifically. I interviewed at both and REALLY like both programs, people were great at both programs. I'm going to rank these as my top 2 but I can't put one in front of the other so here's my question:

Which program style would you choose and why (let's say you plan on going on to a fellowship)? Also, are my descriptions of each (below) accurate?

Mayo is more tertiary, "House" style. It seems to be fewer patients and more time to sink your teeth into the cases which is really cool. Lots of money, more private than public.

Miami is nitty-gritty downtown Miami-Dade County, huge variety, tons of cases of all flavors. The trade off seems like you're exposed to more maybe, but have less time to "digest" so-to-speak. More public than private.

I know both would prepare me well as a neurologist. Are my observations from the interviews correct? Anyone who's been to either would be great to hear from.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Roughly true. I know attendings who trained at each of them and they're great. Miami would give you a leg up if you're interested in epidemiology research. Mayo has a very prominent neuro faculty, not to slight Miami's, which is also very good. You can't really go wrong unless you don't fit in stylistically.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a PGY-3 at Mayo. If you have any questions PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Roughly true. I know attendings who trained at each of them and they're great. Miami would give you a leg up if you're interested in epidemiology research. Mayo has a very prominent neuro faculty, not to slight Miami's, which is also very good. You can't really go wrong unless you don't fit in stylistically.

BIG thanks for all of your input helping us out with these tough decisions Typhoon. Could you elaborate on what you mean by stylistically? What type seems to fit in/do well at these respective program types?

I have no idea, people like and respond to different things. That's why you visit, to get a feel for the style and culture at each particular program. You can like a program for all the right reasons, but if it doesn't click for you, you won't be happy.

I have no idea, people like and respond to different things. That's why you visit, to get a feel for the style and culture at each particular program. You can like a program for all the right reasons, but if it doesn't click for you, you won't be happy.

What do you mean by "click," and how can an applicant authentically gauge that in a few hour (highly curated) visit, especially when the cohort of co-residents one will eventually work with is still nebulous?

Last edited:
You can't. Just guess. Some places feel good for you, some don't. Sometimes you have to make big decisions on very limited information. Some day you'll decide (if you haven't already) to make a six-digit offer on a home you spent 20 minutes in during a highly curated open-house. You make the call and move on. It's not like you're guaranteed your top choice anyway.

Hi, piggy backing off his topic, how does Miami compare to UTSW at the moment?

I know that the chair at Miami Dr. Sacco is president elect of the AAN, and they appear to have more impressive fellowship matches. But UTSW has a great medical name recognition.

Last edited: