Michigan MPH Tuition Waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VV2RB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a GSA, GSRA, or GSSA position at Michigan? The percentage of MPH students who apply that get these positions? How difficult for 1st year vs 2nd year students?

http://www.finance.umich.edu/finops/student/gsa

The website is here but I'm hoping to get a better idea of its reality. Any current students or alums or anyone, really, have any info on this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this question to this and other schools and each time I'm given the generic "it varies year-to-year" answer and no percentages can be given at the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea I know, they never want to back themselves into a corner...but is it even possible for 1st years? Cuz if I can get a position, then I am guaranteed the tuition waiver right? Don't know how else I'll be able to afford Michigan...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I know, they never want to back themselves into a corner...but is it even possible for 1st years? Cuz if I can get a position, then I am guaranteed the tuition waiver right? Don't know how else I'll be able to afford Michigan...

It is possible. My friend was a GSI during her MHSA for 2 years and got both years tuition waived. it was for an intro-level undergrad bio class, I believe!

It is possible. My friend was a GSI during her MHSA for 2 years and got both years tuition waived. it was for an intro-level undergrad bio class, I believe!

Call me neurotic, but how common is your friend's experience? Does anyone have any statistics on the likelihood of 1st years vs 2nd years receiving these positions? Not sure I want to gamble on Michigan for a long shot...

Call me neurotic, but how common is your friend's experience? Does anyone have any statistics on the likelihood of 1st years vs 2nd years receiving these positions? Not sure I want to gamble on Michigan for a long shot...
I am not sure about that. We both did our undergrad at michigan and she took that class in her undergrad before she was a GSI for it, so I'm sure that helped her get the position. You're right, you shouldn't "bank" on it.

I will be a first year MPH student in the fall at UMich and I interviewed for a GSI position last week (undergrad biology) so it's definitely a possibility.
To be honest though, everything I have heard/read is that these positions are not all that likely because there is no undergrad public health program, so you have to make connections outside the SPH.
If you are really serious about applying I suggest you do it ASAP.

Last edited:
I will be a first year MPH student in the fall at UMich and I interviewed for a GSI position last week, so it's definitely a possibility.
If you are really serious about applying I suggest you do it ASAP.
What was the application process been like? How many positions have you applied to?

Thanks!

Here is the application for the Biology dept: http://www.lsa.umich.edu/biology/careers/graduatestudentinstructorgsipositioninformation_ci
The application makes you select 3-7 courses to teach, I believe I chose 4.
The application was not so bad. I uploaded two letters of recommendation that I believe were very helpful because they were referenced during my interview.
The interview was a little sporadic, I got an email in the evening from the professor of the course that she wanted to meet with me the next day. Thankfully I only live a couple hours from Ann Arbor so I was able to make it happen.
If you are interested in teaching in another department just google search: UMich GSI "department", psychology, sociology and communications all had a few posted.

What was the application process been like? How many positions have you applied to?

Thanks!
Here is the application for the Biology dept: http://www.lsa.umich.edu/biology/careers/graduatestudentinstructorgsipositioninformation_ci
The application was not so bad. I uploaded two letters of recommendation that I believe were very helpful because they were referenced during my interview.
The interview was a little sporadic, I got an email in the evening from the professor of the course that she wanted to meet with me the next day. Thankfully I only live a couple hours from Ann Arbor so I was able to make it happen.
If you are interested in teaching in another department just google search: UMich GSI "department", psychology, sociology and communications all had a few posted.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for the information!