Michigan Oncologist Wrongfully Diagnosed Patients for Profit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoblast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.inquisitr.com/1485160/pr...lty-i-knew-that-it-was-medically-unnecessary/

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but what a sick individual. I wonder how he got away with it for so long. Why wouldn't any of the patients go to a different doctor to get a second opinion and find out that they were being lied to?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it noteworthy that both these physicians were IMGs. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me it is at least one benefit of the rigorous Admissions process here in the US to prevent such sick people, potential murderers who are in it just for the money etc, from becoming physicians. Or maybe its just a coincidence.

Reactions: 3 users
I find it noteworthy that both these physicians were IMGs. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me it is at least one benefit of the rigorous Admissions process here in the US to prevent such sick people, potential murderers who are in it just for the money etc, from becoming physicians. Or maybe its just a coincidence.
I was going to say the same thing, as well, but didn't want rokshana accusing me of racism.

Reactions: 1 user

:rolleyes:

There was also a oncology pharmacist a few years back who dispensed heavily diluted chemo to patients to make more money (he was a millionaire which is simply not possible as a pharmacist which should of raised red flags). I don't think it has anything to do with him being a IMG. Some people suck, and since people go into the healthcare field some healthcare professionals will also suck. Its just unavoidable some crazies will slip through.

Google Guy Turcotte.

Google Guy Turcotte.

Well, this guy is clearly mentally sick, but is not accused of medical fraud and endangering patients - as opposed to the two physicians who willfully and consistently endangered patients, to the point of murder, to pad their bottom lines. I don't see how this is relevant to my comment.

Well, this guy is clearly mentally sick, but is not accused of medical fraud and endangering patients - as opposed to the two physicians who willfully and consistently endangered patients, to the point of murder, to pad their bottom lines. I don't see how this is relevant to my comment.

You must be naive to assume that no one gets into a North American med school for the money. Some people may be scum, but at the same time, they may be professional liars.

The board may not like to mess up with billionaires.
The board's job is to protect the public period. Unless they were getting kickbacks, which might be the case there. It is Detroit.

Members don't see this ad :)
You must be naive to assume that no one gets into a North American med school for the money. Some people may be scum, but at the same time, they may be professional liars.
In general, getting into medical school in the United States, can't be bought as it's usually done by committee. Maybe in Quebec.

In general, getting into medical school in the United States, can't be bought as it's usually done by committee. Maybe in Quebec.

I am not saying buy the committee (lol), I said hiding the bad part of you. Some people lie during the interview and get don't get caught.

Lol you're assuming that medical school admissions are a breeze in other countries and that US schools are somehow able to screen people who are going into medicine for the money all because you heard that two IMG physicians committed horrible crimes. You also disregarded thousands of amazing, honest IMG physicians and the many American graduate physician that have committed fraud. You should apply for a job at Fox News.

Reactions: 3 users
I got chills just reading that. I hope he gets the max penalty.

Lol you're assuming that medical school admissions are a breeze in other countries and that US schools are somehow able to screen people who are going into medicine for the money all because you heard that two IMG physicians committed horrible crimes. You also disregarded thousands of amazing, honest IMG physicians and the many American graduate physician that have committed fraud. You should apply for a job at Fox News.

Well, in India, you can enter a medical school if you have enough money to pay for it. (I would know since several of my family members are practicing physicins in India, the UK, and the US). Similarly, I have been recruited hard by Caribbean schools with a sub 3.0 GPA. So, yes, I am assuming that there are part of the world entering medical schools is a breeze. Of course some parts of the world are more difficult, like Britain, but in many parts, all you need is the money and you can get an MD or equivalent.

I have not disregarded anyone; you are reading too much into my post in order to paint me as some racist or something. I said it was noteworthy, and it is noteworthy. If you have any news stories to AMGs committing fraud in the same scope of those links posted here (killing patients due to years of willful criminal malpractice), I'd be happy to hear them. Otherwise, you're just speculating in your zeal to defend IMGs (to which I have done no insult).

In summary, you both read too much into my post, are making up facts about AMGs to which you have no proof, and are trying to equivocate IMGs as having undergone equally rigorous screening to enter medical schools as the US, which is just false.

Gross misreading of the facts? Presenting speculation as fact? False equivocation? Well one of us is certainly ready for a job at Fox News...

Reactions: 1 users

I never said no one gets into NA schools who are scum, just that one benefit of the rigorous admissions process is to prevent such people. If all you cared about was money, going through 4 years of premed, MCAT, research, volunteering, clinical exposure, etc, is a pretty stupid way to get a high-paying career. Further, having gone through the US system with its emphasis on professionalism, legal culpability, and ethics, it is less likely you would stoop to the level of the mass, homicidal fraud exhibited by the physicians linked in this thread. As I said, it was noteworthy and is a theory; I said it could also just be a coincidence. Again, the quebec doctor whose link you shared is not relevant to my initial comment, but, sure, I'm super naive.

What a despicable human being.

Reactions: 2 users

Trying to extrapolate this as a problem with IMGs is as absurd as the people trying to say the ipad-thieving third year is a sign of US admissions failure.

The US system doesn't prevent such "sick people" from getting in.

Reactions: 4 users
Trying to extrapolate this as a problem with IMGs is as absurd as the people trying to say the ipad-thieving third year is a sign of US admissions failure.

The US system doesn't prevent such "sick people" from getting in.
I think the assertion being made is that IMGs are more likely to participate in this type of behavior, maybe bc in their home countries, things like corruption are much more overlooked, than here in the United States. If you're charged with a crime here you can't just pay someone off and the case disappears. Too many checks in the system.
I don't know of ANY AMG oncologist that would give chemo to a patient that doesn't have cancer as he/she has been in the system long enough to realize that there are checks on the system and this little thing called peer review.

Maybe it's just me but in reading the article I really feel like the guy deserves the death penalty.

They recruit everyone with their emails.

I've gotten many many phone calls from SGU and AUC over the past year or so. Perhaps everyone gets these phone calls as well...

Maybe it's just me but in reading the article I really feel like the guy deserves the death penalty.

I'm conflicted about the death penalty. I feel like people who are of sound mind and committ heinous acts like extremely violent rape, attempted murder/aggravated assault, continued drunk driving resulting in vehicular homicide -- I feel like these people deserve the death penalty. Mentally sick individual who kills his own children after catching wife in affair who then threatens to take kids away from him --- I feel like life in prison/psych ward is more appropriate. Getting out after only 46 months though is unjustifiable, IMO.

I'm conflicted about the death penalty. I feel like people who are of sound mind and committ heinous acts like extremely violent rape, attempted murder/aggravated assault, continued drunk driving resulting in vehicular homicide -- I feel like these people deserve the death penalty. Mentally sick individual who kills his own children after catching wife in affair who then threatens to take kids away from him --- I feel like life in prison/psych ward is more appropriate. Getting out after only 46 months though is unjustifiable, IMO.
Yes, but this guy maimed and killed people FULLY KNOWING they did not have cancer. It takes a REALLY sick individual to consciously know that the person doesn't have cancer and then willingly and convincing the patient that getting chemotherapy is in their best interests.

---Dave Kroff was also put through years of unnecessary chemotherapy by Fata. Kroff says that the chemo suppressed his immune system so badly that he lost both of his legs.

---“I don’t think there’s any justice. I lost my sister and her children lost a mother,” said Cindy Burt. “There’s just no justice for that.”

---Donna’s father never had the cancer, a review of Donald’s medical files showed. Yet, the prestigious cancer doctor ordered two years of chemo. The civil suit alleges that Donald developed a blood-related cancer as an effect of the chemotherapy treatments. Donald later died.

I've gotten many many phone calls from SGU and AUC over the past year or so. Perhaps everyone gets these phone calls as well...

I couldn't kill them myself, even if it were my family, so I can't in good conscience support asking others to do so essentially FOR me, with my tacit consent.

The board's job is to protect the public period. Unless they were getting kickbacks, which might be the case there. It is Detroit.

That's like saying that the Fed doesn't have a conflict of interest.

Our regulatory boards are awful in general as of late.

I am not sure about the death penalty, but I think murder and attempted murder charges should have been brought in this case. For once, I was hoping that a med malpractice case would turn out like an episode of Law & Order. The victims family should have more justice than a civil suit.

I'm not sure about *everyone* but they are well known to make those calls to lots of people. They are not very selective in their recruiting so I wouldn't use the example of phone calls as meaningful.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the assertion being made is that IMGs are more likely to participate in this type of behavior, maybe bc in their home countries, things like corruption are much more overlooked, than here in the United States. If you're charged with a crime here you can't just pay someone off and the case disappears. Too many checks in the system.
I don't know of ANY AMG oncologist that would give chemo to a patient that doesn't have cancer as he/she has been in the system long enough to realize that there are checks on the system and this little thing called peer review.

Color me biased, but unnecessary treatments and sneaky ways to take money from patients is not unfamiliar to family back in my third-world motherland.

Color me biased, but unnecessary treatments and sneaky ways to take money from patients is not unfamiliar to family back in my third-world motherland.
They just don't have as many chances to do it there, bc it's a relatively govt. controlled system that effectively rations care. Go to a third world country, and see whether the govt. will pay for chemo for someone elderly.

Death penalty, by way of many, many rounds of chemotherapy?

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, he deserves it. Unfortunately he pled guilty and cannot receive it.

If he were in certain middle eastern countries, his sentence could've been to receive chemotherapy until it killed him. That seems kind of fair.

Reactions: 2 users
I live near this guy and have seen his clinics all over metro-Detroit. This is very disturbing.