Michigan State c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMG I'm in!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 17 users
Got the email acceptance a little while ago! Good luck to the rest of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still haven't received an email.. I'm assuming that means I'm rejected?

Rejected!! So that means I am off to Tufts for my Plan B! Maybe reapply next year!

I am waitlisted at one other school but am probably going to turn it down since Tufts is a better option. And waiting on another school. But after visiting, it was not a fit. I had really hoped for MSU. I did my undergrad there. Loved it there and really looked forward to going back.

For all of you OOS going, It is a fantastic school. East Lansing is a fun place! Being a Spartan is an honor! GO TO A FOOTBALL GAME! I attended the Cotton Bowl this as I live in Dallas. Nothing like Big 10 football.

Good luck to all!

Reactions: 1 user
Not necessarily.. A friend of mine called earlier this week and was told they were still making decisions. If you have not heard by Friday, just call them. Based on the rejection letter I was sent, they are much nicer than some of the other schools I have dealt with.

OMG I'm in!!!!!! It still doesn't feel real!

Reactions: 4 users
OMG I'm in!!!!!! It still doesn't feel real!
Yup! It's been 3 hours and I still have the email in front of me thinking I'm hallucinating or something. Congrats!!!

Congrats future classmates!! We're going to be vets!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone started/found a facebook page yet?

I think the administration made ours last year. They had a link posted on the website under admitted student info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else OOS not heard anything? I'm thinking it's not good news at this point but I'm headed elsewhere anyway for cheaper tuition.

Anyone know if they made a FB page yet? I keep looking but I'm thinking it wouldn't be made until after April 15th?

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm going to be sending in my deposit tomorrow! Yay! I think they are sending out accepted student packets after April 1st.

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm going to be sending in my deposit tomorrow! Yay! I think they are sending out accepted student packets after April 1st.
I'm sending in my deposit tomorrow as well. :D

Does anyone have a good idea on if I will qualify for in-state status? After I was accepted I realized it might be possible for me to get IS tuition because my dad moved to Michigan and started working there last November. My parents are divorced, so I split my time between staying at his house and staying at my mom's in Indiana. I've talked to the registrar's office a couple of times and looked at the website about it, and they said if I can prove he works there, lives there, pays MI taxes, etc. then I would qualify, but I was wondering if I could get a second opinion from anyone who's familiar with their policies on what my odds are?
I can only afford to go there if I get in-state, so I'd like to have a pretty solid idea that I'll get it before I send in my enrollment deposit, which will still be OOS because I haven't been able to gather all the documents for the change status application. I'd also like to be pretty sure that I'll get it because I would have NO idea what to do if I found out I didn't get IS tuition in the middle of the summer!

Does anyone have a good idea on if I will qualify for in-state status? After I was accepted I realized it might be possible for me to get IS tuition because my dad moved to Michigan and started working there last November. My parents are divorced, so I split my time between staying at his house and staying at my mom's in Indiana. I've talked to the registrar's office a couple of times and looked at the website about it, and they said if I can prove he works there, lives there, pays MI taxes, etc. then I would qualify, but I was wondering if I could get a second opinion from anyone who's familiar with their policies on what my odds are?
I can only afford to go there if I get in-state, so I'd like to have a pretty solid idea that I'll get it before I send in my enrollment deposit, which will still be OOS because I haven't been able to gather all the documents for the change status application. I'd also like to be pretty sure that I'll get it because I would have NO idea what to do if I found out I didn't get IS tuition in the middle of the summer!
Talking to the registrar's office and the vet school's office of admissions should be your best bet. Getting your info from the source on an issue like this is the best way to get the most correct answers.

If you have multiple acceptances you could always send in deposits to two places, and decline your seat at a different school if you end up qualifying for IS tuition. If you don't, you can decline your seat at MSU and go where it is cheaper. You lose a little bit of money on one of the deposits, but if you're saving money in the long run I would say it's worth it. That's not really an ideal situation, but it's something you could do if you are uncertain.

If you have multiple acceptances you could always send in deposits to two places, and decline your seat at a different school if you end up qualifying for IS tuition. If you don't, you can decline your seat at MSU and go where it is cheaper. You lose a little bit of money on one of the deposits, but if you're saving money in the long run I would say it's worth it. That's not really an ideal situation, but it's something you could do if you are uncertain.
I wouldn't do that...it is generally considered unethical to send a deposit to more than one school.

Like Gwen said, your best bet is to talk to the people who would be making that decision, and try to get the documentation together as soon as you can. They're going to be the experts on it.

Yay! My deposit was received. Now I just have to find out if my nutrition courses meet the requirement, and I'll be ready to go!

Yay! My deposit was received. Now I just have to find out if my nutrition courses meet the requirement, and I'll be ready to go!
Same here! I hope they take your nutrition course, but if they don't I recommend Oklahoma State's self-paced one. I'm currently taking it and it's not bad at all.

I want this information package to come that's supposed to arrive in April. Then again, I think it should arrive around the 15th or after most likely. Who knows!

I want this information package to come that's supposed to arrive in April. Then again, I think it should arrive around the 15th or after most likely. Who knows!

The email from Pat said we will hear more about enrollment after April 15. Only one more week!

The combination of my two nutrition courses meets their requirement! I was really dreading having to spend more money on a nutrition course. Also booked a flight to Detroit to check out apartments at the end of May! This is getting more real!

Does anyone know who to email/contact about declining admission? I tried calling but no one is answering.

I called admissions and they told me to email them--they like to have in writing. I emailed [email protected] and heard back that they got it.

@Roostergirl Thank you! I'm declining my seat so good luck to people on the wait-list!

Has anyone on the waitlist has any news yet?

A friend of mine is on the IS waitlist and she called this morning to find out her spot. They told her that those that received an acceptance have until midnight tonight to answer back so they won't have the final list ready until tomorrow or later. Not sure if that's the case for the OOS list, though.

Good luck to everyone the waitlist!

So I sent my deposit in but I don't think they got it yet. Should I email to make sure they know it's in the mail?

So I sent my deposit in but I don't think they got it yet. Should I email to make sure they know it's in the mail?

They will email you notifying they received your deposit, but it will take a while for the money to actually be withdrawn from your account.

Gah! I'm starting the housing search and it's not easy. I don't know why I thought rent would be cheaper than it is but I'm definitely experiencing sticker shock haha. That and I have 2 pit mixes and I guess I didn't realize breed specific bans were such a thing in Michigan. Anyone have any advice on where to live or how to find a roommate. I'm already on the MSU housing site place and haven't found anything yet.

Gah! I'm starting the housing search and it's not easy. I don't know why I thought rent would be cheaper than it is but I'm definitely experiencing sticker shock haha. That and I have 2 pit mixes and I guess I didn't realize breed specific bans were such a thing in Michigan. Anyone have any advice on where to live or how to find a roommate. I'm already on the MSU housing site place and haven't found anything yet.
Look up The Village at Chandler crossings. And yes, East Lansing has some of the highest rent prices ever!

I've been searching for a few weeks and I gotta warn you about that MSU site. A lot of those places have the pricing set as "per person" even in one bed/one bath apartments so the price ends up being double or more. Also, most of the listings on there right now are for sublets for the summer. I recommend apartments.com for your search. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices for me, but yes finding a place in EL has been a pain and I'm not even bringing pets.

I've been looking in surrounding neighborhoods where it seems to be a little less expensive because I don't mind driving to get to school and I drive an economy car so I never pay much in gas. Rent.com has been my friend. I'm bringing my pug, so finding dog friendly apartments hasn't been too hard since she weighs under the 25 lb limit. I'll have more info when I go out and actually look around at a couple of places.

Washington Apartments is pet friendly. I'm in the process of securing a studio apartment there and would love to have some of you as neighbors! :D

Thanks everyone! I've looked at a lot of the places mentioned already and my big problem seems to be that my dogs are pit mixes. Even places that say they have no weight restrictions for pets have breed restrictions so at this point I think finding a roommate and renting a house are going to be my best options.

Whenever the Facebook group gets started, current students will be posting if they need roommates. I think rent in East Lansing is pretty normal. It was very similar where I went to undergrad.

Thanks everyone! I've looked at a lot of the places mentioned already and my big problem seems to be that my dogs are pit mixes. Even places that say they have no weight restrictions for pets have breed restrictions so at this point I think finding a roommate and renting a house are going to be my best options.
Have you mentioned that you'll be a vet student? A lot of places are more lenient with their pet rules when you tell them that for some reason.

Anyone who has questions about finding housing, message me or something. I have three pets of my own so I've done a lot of research about pet friendly housing in the area. I can attempt to help you out!

Also, sometimes you can get away with having pit mixes if you have the vet change the breed on the paperwork to "lab mix" or something. Breed discrimination is so dumb!

I agree on the breed discrimination. One of my pits looks like she could be a mix but the other one is definitely a pit bull lol. I'm fortunate that I don't live too terribly far away from the school so I have time to drive up there and look. I think I'm just so used to being stressed out about the process that I'm now stressing about things that are relatively inconsequential haha. And again, thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate it!

Just as a heads up, I was sent an email to get my ID and register for classes, but it went into my spam folder so I didn't read it until now. Check your spam folders if you haven't received yours.

Just as a heads up, I was sent an email to get my ID and register for classes, but it went into my spam folder so I didn't read it until now. Check your spam folders if you haven't received yours.

THANK YOU. I never check my spam folder, and voila there was an email from Pat. Have you called her yet? I won't have a chance until I get my lunch break from work.

THANK YOU. I never check my spam folder, and voila there was an email from Pat. Have you called her yet? I won't have a chance until I get my lunch break from work.
Yeah I just spoke to her and she gave me my PID and PAN and info on how to continue with registration. By the way, they won't actually send you the orientation and enrollment package/info until they see you're registered.

I'm enrolling in classes now and love how I don't have to figure out my schedule. :D