Michigan State c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you guys!...this is really helpful info as I'm trying to figure out all of the logistics of this trip. Roostergirl, that sounds great, is this hotel in Lansing? If so, then this shuttle went from Lansing airport to the hotel and also to the university correct? My interview is early in the morning so I want to make sure this shuttle will be running well in advance. I'm also curious.....which airline did you use to get there?

Jxm5523, I had the interview session at nine...I think the shuttle starts at eight. It was a courtesy shuttle so I just had to schedule it in advance but I got the impression they would take you anywhere in the area. The hotel is in East Lansing, on Grand River avenue. We used Delta airline.
Hope your interview and trip goes smoothly!

Members don't see this ad.

Another student stayed at the Marriott which also had a shuttle to the university.

The CATA buses will take you anywhere in the area as well. I know those can be a bit scary, particularly if you are unfamiliar with the area, but I know the routes like the back of my hand and can tell you how to get to the vet school from almost everywhere in East Lansing haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I picked an interview date a week or so ago, but didn't fill out my profile yet or upload a photo at that time. Went back into the portal today and it says my deadline is tomorrow. Thank goodness I went back in to check my date, not sure if they would have held my interview date otherwise.

The CATA buses will take you anywhere in the area as well. I know those can be a bit scary, particularly if you are unfamiliar with the area, but I know the routes like the back of my hand and can tell you how to get to the vet school from almost everywhere in East Lansing haha

Thanks Pinkpuppy and Roostergirl...you guys are very helpful!....I'm still trying to figure out a flight and a hotel and whether I should fly into Lansing or Detroit. And, whether I should rent a car from either airport. I checked with a few of the hotels and they have shuttles but they only run on the weekdays and I will need it most on the weekend to go from the airport to the hotel to the college.
I will keep checking and see how prices fluctuate I guess.

I don't think this ever got answered....is lunch provided on interview day?

I just got my agenda. I'm glad to see the interview lasts approximately an hour....less long and grueling than I thought it would be! Starting to get pretty nervous!

I don't think this ever got answered....is lunch provided on interview day?

I just got my agenda. I'm glad to see the interview lasts approximately an hour....less long and grueling than I thought it would be! Starting to get pretty nervous!

Yes! they give you sandwiches

Just wondering for those that have interviewed, around what time did the interview day end? Just considering if I should spend the night or catch a late flight home, your input is much appreciated

Just wondering for those that have interviewed, around what time did the interview day end? Just considering if I should spend the night or catch a late flight home, your input is much appreciated

If you're in the AM group, I believe it ends around 3. For the PM group, it ended around 5:30-6pm.

^but not necessarily, I was in the PM group and they structured our day differently than the other PM group, we had the info sessions/tour before the interviews so we had to check in at 10am and we were completely finished by 3pm

Members don't see this ad :)
Well my group was the last one so I'd say the latest you'd be there is 5-6pm.

Here's the general times for each day so far (may change later depending weather and such)

Blue Group: 7:45AM - 1:00PM
Green Group: 9:00AM - 2:30PM
Yellow Group: 10:15AM - 3:10PM
Red Group: 12:00PM - 4:50PM

With that said, I'd still make sure to give yourself an ample amount of time to ask questions, explore, eat, w/e...
before catching your flight out. I'd rather have to spend an extra hour at the airport on my kindle than rushing through the gate trying to catch the last boarding call. (been there, it sucks)

Also, you'll get your packets from the admissions team with the exact times, so I'd only use these for a basic reference when looking for flights.

So MSU requires that we take the Animal Nutrition course by the end of the spring semester. I want to wait until February to see if I'll get in or not so I don't waste the money, but I don't know if I can complete the course in 1.5 months. Has anyone taken it yet (online)?

So MSU requires that we take the Animal Nutrition course by the end of the spring semester. I want to wait until February to see if I'll get in or not so I don't waste the money, but I don't know if I can complete the course in 1.5 months. Has anyone taken it yet (online)?
I took one from Kansas State online and LOVED it. I highly recommend it. That can absolutely be done in a couple weeks if you devote quite a bit of time to it. Just make sure there isn't a registration deadline or late fees. It might be good to take even if you end up at a different school that doesn't require it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd also suggest you take it, regardless of admission status! Most students enjoy nutrition classes and you really do learn quite a lot. I found myself a potential back-up in nutrition I loved it that much.

Hi!
I didn't apply to MSU, but have done various internships at the school. For those traveling Delta is the best option. If you travel to DTW (Detroit), The Michigan Flyer will take you round trip to East Lansing for 60.00 (book in advance).
If you are staying in Grand River (anywhere along the school borders with the avenue) CATA is the best way to go and it is reliable. Also you could walk (20 Tops) to the Vet School (recommended if you want to see a little of the campus)
For CATA, check the website, but if memory serves me right Bus 26 leaves you in the middle of east campus and the vet school is 6 minutes away.
Any other doubts, I'll gladly answer.
Congrats to everyone who got an interview.

Hey everyone, sorry for being away for a bit. Felix has the right of it about the MMI's. Don't stress! Just be yourself and have fun with it and everything will be great. The FAQ and various videos online are more than enough to prepare for them.
As far as clothing, it is an interview so it's better to overdress then under, but the best advice is to dress comfortably and wear shoes you can handle walking in. The only time you will be outside will be coming from the Wharton parking ramp (if you drive) to registration and to get on / off the buses. Lansing normally doesn't get tons of snow (compared to Traverse City or the UP) so just make sure to dress warm.
If your're renting a car, try and find something front wheel drive since they tend to handle better in snow and ice. Trucks / SUV's with 4 wheel tend to be rented out quickly and honestly won't help more than a front wheel if you're not used to snow. Drive slow, brake early, and don't be distracted / stressed and you'll be ok.
DTW and Lansing Regional are your best bet for airports, but Lansing does use smaller planes which may make nervous flyers a little leery.
Side note: Yes, there are old steam tunnels under campus, but no, we cant use them (wish we could!)

Hey Havoc, Where do I find these FAQs and videos you are mentioning to prepare??....My interview is coming up soon and I'm getting very nervous so I'd like to feel as ready and prepared as I can be. Thanks!

Hi!
I didn't apply to MSU, but have done various internships at the school. For those traveling Delta is the best option. If you travel to DTW (Detroit), The Michigan Flyer will take you round trip to East Lansing for 60.00 (book in advance).
If you are staying in Grand River (anywhere along the school borders with the avenue) CATA is the best way to go and it is reliable. Also you could walk (20 Tops) to the Vet School (recommended if you want to see a little of the campus)
For CATA, check the website, but if memory serves me right Bus 26 leaves you in the middle of east campus and the vet school is 6 minutes away.
Any other doubts, I'll gladly answer.
Congrats to everyone who got an interview.
Yep, the 26 :) And you could further transfer to the 'East Neighborhood' route if you wanted to avoid the cold.
Hey Havoc, Where do I find these FAQs and videos you are mentioning to prepare??....My interview is coming up soon and I'm getting very nervous so I'd like to feel as ready and prepared as I can be. Thanks!
The MSU CVM website has a page on the interviews if you hadn't found it already. http://cvm.msu.edu/student-information/dvm-program-admissions/multiple-mini-interviews

Previous interviewers: Did the interviewers interact with you during your minutes in front of them? Did they prod for more information, or stare at you if you ended your spiel?

Here some of the links:
CVM MMI FAQ
Sample MMI Questions
AAMC FAQ (Human med, but basically the same thing)
Example MMI video

With that said, use these to give yourself a basic idea of how it works, but don't worry about the specifics and try not to worry about what's being asked. As odd as it sounds being an interview, the whole event can be pretty fun and light hearted (plus tasty sandwiches) and being nervous is ok and expected.

Previous interviewers: Did the interviewers interact with you during your minutes in front of them? Did they prod for more information, or stare at you if you ended your spiel?

Since the other interviewers can't go into specifics about their interviews (you sign a NDA when you get there), the best I can say is to try and use your own time management when you're going through. The interviewers understand that you may be nervous and many are very welcoming, so just read your scenario, think about it, then just go along how you think is best. Again, just try to be calm, stay positive, and try and have fun!

Heads up to everyone flying in this weekend-IT. IS. COLD.

I'm sure you can all check the weather, but really. Cold.

:nailbiting:

Heads up to everyone flying in this weekend-IT. IS. COLD.

I'm sure you can all check the weather, but really. Cold.

:nailbiting:

Right now its looking like tomorrow will be around 12 degrees, but with 20mph winds, meaning it'll feel like negative temps. On top of that Wilson Rd (where MSU CVM is) is a giant wind tunnel, so bundle up! There will be buses to get around in which will help some, but I'd still try to bring hats and gloves. There's a room where you can put your coats and such, so don't worry about trying to manage all of your stuff.

When did those who have already interviewed get their itinerary or group? My interview is 2/13 and I still haven't gotten anything so I'm still trying to decide if I need to stay overnight. I live about 3 hours away so I could always just drive home but if I'm going to be there late I might just stay the night. Thanks for any info.

I believe they will be sending out the itineraries sometime next week for Feb 7th, 13th, and 14th. If you're in the second PM group (tours before interviews), you should be done around 5pm. Assuming US-127 and I-96 are clear, you should be able to make it home the same day if that's you goal

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Yea I'm going to try to get home that night as I'll probably have to work the next day since it's a Saturday.

We're supposed to get hit with 3-6" of snow tonight, drive safe everyone! Regretting the fact that I don't have a pair of nice dress boots right about now....

Looking at the weather up there right now, I am so glad I chose the December interview date. Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend. :)

Looking at the weather up there right now, I am so glad I chose the December interview date. Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend. :)
Lol I JUST MOVED BACK FROM FLORIDA. Just in time for the cold front. :cryi:

Except if I actually did cry, my tears would freeze.

Yea, they're saying 3-5 by midnight, then another 1-3 by 4pm tomorrow here in East Lansing, on top of being 10 below..

If this hits as hard as they're saying, make sure to give yourselves a lot of extra time tomorrow if you are driving at all. If you're in the AM section and taking US-127, there's a very good chance it will be backed up from I-96 to I-69 around 7am and it's notorious for being slippery. Be careful and if you run into problems, email [email protected] or call 517-353-9793 after 7am.

Lol I JUST MOVED BACK FROM FLORIDA. Just in time for the cold front. :cryi:

Except if I actually did cry, my tears would freeze.

Damn that sucks! I'm enjoying the wonderful 70 degree "chilly" weather we're having here in Miami right now. :p

Decent amount of snow on the ground, so take extra time getting everywhere. Hope to see some of you during the tours today!

Today went well! I actually made it perfectly on time, mostly because the accident that must have happened 30 seconds before me didn't have time to cause a major back-up yet. I'm hoping all of you were able to arrive safely as well.

PS: If you were in the blue group and we talked about chatting zoo/wildlife prior to our interviews, message me!

Today went well! I actually made it perfectly on time, mostly because the accident that must have happened 30 seconds before me didn't have time to cause a major back-up yet. I'm hoping all of you were able to arrive safely as well.

PS: If you were in the blue group and we talked about chatting zoo/wildlife prior to our interviews, message me!
Glad you made it ok! That accident got pretty out of hand, so I was starting to wonder how many people were going to get caught up in it.

So I noticed that OOS tuition is EXTREMELY high (70K+ per year). How do most people finance their education? They mention scholarships on their website but do people realistically have time for that? At this point, I'm not sure if I should even bother going to the interview.

So I noticed that OOS tuition is EXTREMELY high (70K+ per year). How do most people finance their education? They mention scholarships on their website but do people realistically have time for that? At this point, I'm not sure if I should even bother going to the interview.

You're looking at tuition + living expenses. Tuition is around 55k. Yes they're on the expensive side (I believe they're the most expensive in the US), and you will have to take out loans to pay for everything. They'll have a financial aid info session the day of the interview, but if you don't think you'd attend due to the high tuition costs, please call to cancel your interview ASAP so that hopefully another applicant will get your spot. Honestly though, you should have checked the tuition of the schools you were applying to before paying the application fees. :/

You're looking at tuition + living expenses. Tuition is around 55k. Yes they're on the expensive side (I believe they're the most expensive in the US), and you will have to take out loans to pay for everything. They'll have a financial aid info session the day of the interview, but if you don't think you'd attend due to the high tuition costs, please call to cancel your interview ASAP so that hopefully another applicant will get your spot. Honestly though, you should have checked the tuition of the schools you were applying to before paying the application fees. :/
I was aware of the tuition costs. Thank you very much. I applied "smart" by playing to my strengths and applying to schools with reasonable OOS acceptance rates. Turns out it worked in my favor and I received a lot of interviews. So at this point, I am trying to decide if I should go to ALL of them or cut some out. I have not received any acceptances yet so I'm not sure if I should gamble and not go to this interview.

I was aware of the tuition costs. Thank you very much. I applied "smart" by playing to my strengths and applying to schools with reasonable OOS acceptance rates. Turns out it worked in my favor and I received a lot of interviews. So at this point, I am trying to decide if I should go to ALL of them or cut some out. I have not received any acceptances yet so I'm not sure if I should gamble and not go to this interview.

That's great and congrats on all the interview invites, but you still need to decide right away and cancel your interview if you decide it's not worth going. Somewhere out there is a student that's dying for just one interview and you might be holding that spot. The school was great and I enjoyed interviewing there, but I do have to agree that it's really expensive. They have a ton of scholarships you can apply to and we were told that there have been students that applied to every single one, but yes that's time consuming. However, free money is free money and if I had to, I'd be all up on those. :p

They also return 30k worth of tuition if you stay in Michigan after you graduate for x amount of years. You have to show them a job contract in order for them to do this. Again, if you go to the interview they'll give you a ~20 minute presentation on how to pay for schooling but you have to decide if you're gonna go or not and let them know ASAP.

As with any scholarships, some require essays, others do not. Some might even require letters or rec. Should I get in, I was planning on applying to as many a possible while not blowing off study time. But think about it....if you are going to click past a scholarship because it requires a bit more effort, so will your classmates. Meaning statistically, the odds might be better for you.

If you are willing to let tuition be your decision to turn down a potential offer, I'd say don't bother spending the money on the interview. I can agree with that mindset, for sure. I also understand not wanting to risk losing an acceptance. However, you're looking at a decision that can have detrimental effects on you for the next 20-40 years. If you really do not want to pay the tuition, you don't have to. Plain and simple! I didn't realize OOS tuition was that crazy. I'm IS.

Is there any other biological science course that they would take in place for animal nutrition because I already registered for classes and my school does not offer the class

Is there any other biological science course that they would take in place for animal nutrition because I already registered for classes and my school does not offer the class
I doubt it. You can take it online through a bunch of schools. Do note that you have to take it by the end of the spring semester so I'd do that asap

I am applying for next cycle and they said general nutrition or human nutrition is okay. I am taking it this spring

It doesn't have to be animal nutrition. I took a human nutrition course (my original major was nursing) and MSU accepts it. If you contact them, they should be able tot ell you what you need to take that fulfills their requirements, they have "match" sheets for most universities.

Yes to human nutrition being acceptable. No to any other course replacing that. The only course they have budged on is the Eukaryotic Cell Bio course they have required for the longest time, but just loosened up on for this cycle. I think only a handful of schools in the country actually have that course, which is why they allowed alternatives this year. They weren't getting "enough quality OOS applicants" or something like that.

My interview is scheduled for 2/13. When I completed registration, it said to watch my email for updates. Has anyone else in my cycle received any updates or additional information?

My interview is scheduled for 2/13. When I completed registration, it said to watch my email for updates. Has anyone else in my cycle received any updates or additional information?
Don't expect to get anything until a few weeks before your interview.