Michigan State c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckySpartan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Curious who else is applying to Michigan State this cycle?

I'm a Michigan resident and this is my first time applying. I worked as a marketing executive (in colour merchandising and automotive) for the past six years until I realized if you are going to work the rest of your life you might want to enjoy what you do :)

So here I am... Look forward to hearing from other applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Same here, I am not interested in going elsewhere. Did you do your undergrad at MSU?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering when this was going to get started :)

Agreed! I thought for a minute I was the only one applying to MSU ;) I prefer those odds but it would get rather lonely. How are classes going? Any advice on this darn personal statement??

Agreed! I thought for a minute I was the only one applying to MSU ;) I prefer those odds but it would get rather lonely. How are classes going? Any advice on this darn personal statement??
Classes were how you'd expect them to be :p There wasn't anything too terrible! I learned more this year than I thought possible. For your personal statement, my advice is to do your best to stand out. If you have really unique experiences, definitely go into that. Start with an anecdote that's going to draw the reader in. Don't go with the typical "I've always wanted to be a vet since I was five" introduction. Just sell yourself :)

Same here, I am not interested in going elsewhere. Did you do your undergrad at MSU?

Nope. I did my undergrad at Eastern.

I might have been interested in going elsewhere if it weren't for the cost difference with OOS tuition and the costs of living in some other state. I just don't think I could afford that or justify paying for it when I have a perfectly awesome in state school.

Haha, I was also watching for it.
I just finished up with my summer classes and am waiting on the final grades to come in. I should have a nice improvement on my Last 3 semester GPA. Personal Statement is still in its first draft but I had a couple readers on SDN look it over and now that my classes ended I'll be going back to work on it. I definitely recommend finding some readers with the time to take a look.

I have been working on it for months (doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist).... I never thought it would be so hard to tell your OWN story lol. I have a couple editors lined up but I haven't been ready to let them read it yet. I am also taking summer classes (physics) but I intend to have my first draft done this weekend. I keep seeing people talk about 5000 characters but on the application it says 4500?

What about your evaluations? Im using a veterinarian, an ortho surgeon (which is where my interest lies), previous employer, founder of the rescue I was on the board of, my orgo professor and I'm not sure who else... Wondering if it would be better to have another vet, possibly a vet tech that I worked with or a professor? (I know you don't have to have 6 but why not ;) )

Last edited:
I have been working on it for months (doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist).... I never thought it would be so hard to tell your OWN story lol. I have a couple editors lined up but I haven't been ready to let them read it yet. I am also taking summer classes (physics) but I intend to have my first draft done this weekend. I keep seeing people talk about 5000 characters but on the application it says 4500?

What about your evaluations? Im using a veterinarian, an ortho surgeon (which is where my interest lies), previous employer, founder of the rescue I was on the board of, my orgo professor and I'm not sure who else... Wondering if it would be better to have another vet, possibly a vet tech that I worked with or a professor? (I know you don't have to have 6 but why not ;) )

It's 4500 characters. Probably used to be 5000 but whatever is on the app is what we have to work with.

Right now I have one eLOR already submitted from my histology professor and I have confirmed that my veterinarian will write one but need to get her email. I'm stuck on the last one to be honest. My most significant employer is my mother so of course I can't use her and then I run into trouble because while there are plenty of people I could technically ask, I'm not confident that they can write me a kick ass letter. The people I've worked most closely with are breeders so I'm debating asking one of them but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. Blah. I'm not sure MSU will even read more than 3. I know some schools won't so I'm only doing the 3.

I'm also applying to Michigan. It is my in state too. I worked as a vet assistant for a few years and went to community college. I transferred to MSU last year and am excited to work on the application this summer. I have not taken the GRE yet though so I need to do that this summer too.

I'm also applying to Michigan. It is my in state too. I worked as a vet assistant for a few years and went to community college. I transferred to MSU last year and am excited to work on the application this summer. I have not taken the GRE yet though so I need to do that this summer too.

Assuming you have started the application right??? My friends in vet school told me how time consuming it was but I had no idea how serious they were!! The day it opened I started working on it yet I am still not done! I am also taking the GRE this summer ( in a few weeks). Its incredibly hard to study for it when you are taking classes at the same time. Im a bit worried about it :shrug: But not as worried as I am about this personal statement....

Assuming you have started the application right??? My friends in vet school told me how time consuming it was but I had no idea how serious they were!! The day it opened I started working on it yet I am still not done! I am also taking the GRE this summer ( in a few weeks). Its incredibly hard to study for it when you are taking classes at the same time. Im a bit worried about it :shrug: But not as worried as I am about this personal statement....

Yup! Started the application... The personal statement is rough! I have worked on mine so much, but I cannot seem to make it flow well... I'm planning on taking the GRE later in the summer so hopefully I will have the majority of the application done by then and will have time to study a bunch.

I'm taking the GRE next Tuesday... eep! I wanted to leave myself time to retake if necessary, plus I want to make sure my SIS is up to par and I really won't know for sure until I have the scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying here! one of my top choices

I'm taking the GRE next Tuesday... eep! I wanted to leave myself time to retake if necessary, plus I want to make sure my SIS is up to par and I really won't know for sure until I have the scores.

Good Luck!!! What have you been using to study or did you take the GRE Prep Course? I think I bought every book amazon had to offer ( ok not really, only 4) including those flashcards which I really hate studying those! I have no idea what to expect for the GRE.. I am hoping for a solid 160 for both areas and then Ill be pretty competitive with my SIS.

I'm applying here! one of my top choices

Are you a MI resident? Where else are you applying?

Good Luck!!! What have you been using to study or did you take the GRE Prep Course? I think I bought every book amazon had to offer ( ok not really, only 4) including those flashcards which I really hate studying those! I have no idea what to expect for the GRE.. I am hoping for a solid 160 for both areas and then Ill be pretty competitive with my SIS.

I've exclusively used free material. The powerprep stuff from the ets website along with the math review are pretty usefyl... there are some other free practice tests out there are decent. Plenty of websites with short quizzes and such that aren't quite as helpful but still probably do some good.

My GPAs aren't too hot so I'm really hoping for good GRE scores. If I can get a 155 on each section my SIS will come in above the 790 minimum (according to the estimate on the calculator anyways), but of course I'd like to be more competitive than that so I'm hoping for a higher score. My practice tests so far (I've only taken 2) gave me scores in the mid-high 150s. We shall see how the actual test goes.

Are you a MI resident? Where else are you applying?

No I'm CA actually! I know the number of OOS students are usually pretty small for MSU.....also applying to UCD, UPenn, and UMN. I'll probably be adding more as I go along because my grades aren't the best haha

My GPAs aren't too hot so I'm really hoping for good GRE scores. If I can get a 155 on each section my SIS will come in above the 790 minimum (according to the estimate on the calculator anyways), but of course I'd like to be more competitive than that so I'm hoping for a higher score. My practice tests so far (I've only taken 2) gave me scores in the mid-high 150s. We shall see how the actual test goes.

What did you use to calculate your GPA's online? I have such a hard time doing it because I attended multiple schools and one school does theirs like 4.0, 3.7,3.4 and my other does the norm 4, 3.5, 3...

My Science GPA is about 3.6 and my last 36 is about 3.79 (but like I said Im struggling with the calculations)

No I'm CA actually! I know the number of OOS students are usually pretty small for MSU.....also applying to UCD, UPenn, and UMN. I'll probably be adding more as I go along because my grades aren't the best haha

I was thinking on adding a few more but I've been so busy I haven't had time to look and see who has the same pre-reqs as MSU.... does UPenn?

What did you use to calculate your GPA's online? I have such a hard time doing it because I attended multiple schools and one school does theirs like 4.0, 3.7,3.4 and my other does the norm 4, 3.5, 3...

My Science GPA is about 3.6 and my last 36 is about 3.79 (but like I said Im struggling with the calculations)

I just calculated them myself. Quality points divided by credit hours for the relevant courses.

I was thinking on adding a few more but I've been so busy I haven't had time to look and see who has the same pre-reqs as MSU.... does UPenn?

I don't remember exactly but UPenn had pretty general prereqs, if you finished MSU's you probably finished UPenn's :)

It's freaky thinking I'll have completed my first year by the time you guys matriculate!

It's freaky thinking I'll have completed my first year by the time you guys matriculate!

Haha Congrats to you!!! Are you super excited to start? Where are you coming from, whats your story? I can't wait to be in your shoes!

First time applicant! MSU is my IS school. Will possibly be applying to Ohio State this cycle as well. I've been reading SDN for years (non-traditional student here) and can't believe this is finally the year I will be submitting my application. A bit nerve-wracking!

First time applicant! MSU is my IS school. Will possibly be applying to Ohio State this cycle as well. I've been reading SDN for years (non-traditional student here) and can't believe this is finally the year I will be submitting my application. A bit nerve-wracking!

Non traditional as well :) Its so crazy to think it all comes down to this, all the hard work... Seems like just yesterday it was a dream! What was your undergrad degree/ school?

Non traditional as well :) Its so crazy to think it all comes down to this, all the hard work... Seems like just yesterday it was a dream! What was your undergrad degree/ school?

Awesome about non traditional! :)

I have just finished an A.S. degree from LCC and will be finishing my B.S. at Zoology starting in the fall at junior standing. (Yes, applying PRIOR to completing my degree -- I know!). I do think I have some potential as a strong candidate and have accumulated 8,000 hours of veterinary experience and 2,400 of animal experience. I have an auto-immune disease (diagnosed on the recent side of things) that has helped me to understand why it has taken me so very long to complete my undergraduate education. With a diagnosis and treatment, life is turning around before my eyes. :)

Anywho, the majority of my pre-reqs are completed so I thought I would give this year a try! I assume you completed your undergrad at MSU? What did you study?

Actually... I did not complete my undergrad at MSU, I went to Northwoood University (its a private business college) and my BBA is Fashion Marketing/ Business Management. Quite the change isn't is :) Add to the oddness of it all, I did a stint at New York University in their acting program.

Last year I actually attended LCC for some of my pre-reqs! I had some great professors and loved my time there! You do have a lot of hours at the clinic! Where did you shadow? When I was living in Lansing I shadowed at Haslett Animal Hospital and loved it there.

I am sorry to hear about your medical condition but I know first hand, although these things are challenging, it has probably made you a stronger more determined person! I hope things are going well for you and you continue to stay healthy! And by the way, no reason you can't apply before completing your degree if you meet all the requirements!

Awesome about non traditional! :)

I have just finished an A.S. degree from LCC and will be finishing my B.S. at Zoology starting in the fall at junior standing. (Yes, applying PRIOR to completing my degree -- I know!). I do think I have some potential as a strong candidate and have accumulated 8,000 hours of veterinary experience and 2,400 of animal experience. I have an auto-immune disease (diagnosed on the recent side of things) that has helped me to understand why it has taken me so very long to complete my undergraduate education. With a diagnosis and treatment, life is turning around before my eyes. :)

Anywho, the majority of my pre-reqs are completed so I thought I would give this year a try! I assume you completed your undergrad at MSU? What did you study?

I wish I had that many hours of vet experience.
I've got plenty of animal experience but not so much on the vet hours. I have "enough" but nothing super impressive like that.

I know way too much about the MSU application process (I basically had them on speed dial last year) so if anyone has any questions, let me know. Go green!

Reactions: 1 users
I know way too much about the MSU application process (I basically had them on speed dial last year) so if anyone has any questions, let me know. Go green!

Thank you Felixor!

Actually... I did not complete my undergrad at MSU, I went to Northwoood University (its a private business college) and my BBA is Fashion Marketing/ Business Management. Quite the change isn't is :) Add to the oddness of it all, I did a stint at New York University in their acting program.

Last year I actually attended LCC for some of my pre-reqs! I had some great professors and loved my time there! You do have a lot of hours at the clinic! Where did you shadow? When I was living in Lansing I shadowed at Haslett Animal Hospital and loved it there.

I am sorry to hear about your medical condition but I know first hand, although these things are challenging, it has probably made you a stronger more determined person! I hope things are going well for you and you continue to stay healthy! And by the way, no reason you can't apply before completing your degree if you meet all the requirements!

Wow... awesome background! You are totally following your dreams... I love it. :) I wish you all the best during this process and look forward to staying in touch throughout it.

I'm glad you had that experience at LCC! For a community college, it was very good to me! I received an excellent education and I was able to complete the majority of my pre-reqs and my A.S. without taking out any loans. Won't be the same at MSU this fall. ;-)

I haven't shadowed much. I have worked in a small animal practice since August of 2008 and still currently work there as a technician. Along the way, I have met many awesome doctors in the area to shadow and gain other experience and have been extremely supported by my staff making it challenging to leave. My other veterinary hours come from being a surgical assistant for local rescues and working at a 24hr emergency clinic. I do have a shadowing opportunity this summer. I have worked closely over many years with a surgeon from MSU who is now at Ohio State and his boarded in surgery (specializing in ortho -- my interest) and will be shadowing him for a 3 week "externship" that we've aligned for this summer. I also might (hopefully -- this one isn't finalized) begin to assist in research with a DVM completing her PhD at MSU and studying ducks :)-)) and their role in the spread of disease during migration.

I DO need to gain more large animal veterinary experience. Currently, I only a large amount of equine animal experience. So much to do and the time is running out! However, I am fully prepared to be denied this year and re-apply when my B.S. is complete.

I wish I had that many hours of vet experience.
I've got plenty of animal experience but not so much on the vet hours. I have "enough" but nothing super impressive like that.

I wouldn't be concerned finnickthedog. Again, I'm more non-traditional. I've spent years working in veterinary medicine while paying for and slowly completely an A.S. degree. In ways, I wish I could be in your shoes. Less experience, but with my degree finished! Try to fill your summer with as much as you can! Good luck to you.

I have worked closely over many years with a surgeon from MSU who is now at Ohio State and his boarded in surgery (specializing in ortho -- my interest) and will be shadowing him for a 3 week "externship" that we've aligned for this summer.

Holy cats!! Ok I think I know who you are talking about (the ortho guy) but I can't think of how to spell his name off hand. Anyways, my interest is ortho surgery as well!! My mentor is an Orthopedic Surgeon at MSU and I believe your guy worked very closely with him... Dr. Dejardin. I've gotten to know Dr. Dejardin very well over the past six years as I have a golden with multiple issues. Dr. Dejardin did a hip replacement 3 years ago on him and right now (pending a liver biopsy) we are looking at a total elbow replacement. Small world!! We definitely need to keep in touch as it seems we are following the same course :)

Last edited:
Haha Congrats to you!!! Are you super excited to start? Where are you coming from, whats your story? I can't wait to be in your shoes!
There isn't much to tell! I'm pretty much your average applicant, this was my IS though, it came down to a tough choice between OSU and MSU but I do bleed green! I can try to answer questions too, I did my undergrad at MSU as well.

Oh my!! I just got goosebumps, the good kind. :) You are correct, Dr Guiot worked very close with Dejardin and he has been an incredible mentor to me. He first performed a pantarsal arthrodesis on my English Setter in 2011 at MSU. She developed an MRSS infection and required 7 additional surgeries before her limb was stable. Every step of the way, I was involved in her surgeries (including scrubbing in) and decision making and cultivated an insane love for all things ortho. He was so extremely dedicated to getting my girl going again and I strive to provide that kind of medicine. He has since repaired two fractured toes on my Setter and a TPLO on my Shar Pei mix, all at OSU (my dogs are terribly prone to ortho issues).

We MUST stay in touch!!! We could even be colleagues in the future! :)

In my opinion, it was a sad day when MSU lost Dr. Guiot. I hear you with the prone to ortho issues! Ive been at MSU every other week as of late... Like I said, Lucky is being looked at as a candidate for the TATE elbow replacement but we found some underlying abnormalities on his liver during an ultrasound with Dr. Langlois. July 1st we will be going back for a liver biopsy with Dr. Stanley and hopefully its nothing so we can move forward and get this boy a new elbow!

I am contemplating applying to MSU!! I honestly didn't think I'd have a shot at this school until I messed around with the SIS calculator and saw that my SIS was 890, which appears to be decently competitive (I think?). That OOS tuition, though... ouch.

EDIT: Welp, never mind! I didn't realize that nutrition was a pre-req, and that class isn't offered here. Darn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am contemplating applying to MSU!! I honestly didn't think I'd have a shot at this school until I messed around with the SIS calculator and saw that my SIS was 890, which appears to be decently competitive (I think?). That OOS tuition, though... ouch.

EDIT: Welp, never mind! I didn't realize that nutrition was a pre-req, and that class isn't offered here. Darn.

It's so frustrating when a school you're interested in has different pre-reqs than what you've completed. If you are totally smitten with MSU, there are online nutrition courses. I took human nutrition at my community college that satisfied the pre-req for MSU.

Yes you can take human nutrition (which is found at almost all community colleges) online! I took it and it was SUPER easy! I wouldn't even think twice about letting that slow you down if you really want to go to MSU.

MSU doesn't require that you have all pre-reqs done before applying and there are many cheap online/long distance learning courses that fulfill the requirement. What I did is that I waited to take the nutrition course until I knew for sure I would be attending MSU in the fall. As soon as I got my acceptance letter, I signed up for Oklahoma State's animal nutrition course and was able to complete it with time to spare. MSU gives you until June 15th (they send most acceptances by March) and it's a self paced course so you can finish it in a month if you want. Also, I didn't know that they accepted human nutrition as an alternative, so if your school offers it, you can just take that.

MSU doesn't require that you have all pre-reqs done before applying and there are many cheap online/long distance learning courses that fulfill the requirement. What I did is that I waited to take the nutrition course until I knew for sure I would be attending MSU in the fall. As soon as I got my acceptance letter, I signed up for Oklahoma State's animal nutrition course and was able to complete it with time to spare. MSU gives you until June 15th (they send most acceptances by March) and it's a self paced course so you can finish it in a month if you want. Also, I didn't know that they accepted human nutrition as an alternative, so if your school offers it, you can just take that.

Felix0r90 did you by any change take any other self paced classes online? I was told through the MSU CVM (Donna Grooms) that some students take biochem online.... That kinda scares me. Curious your thoughts on that? Also, any personal statement advice?!

Felix0r90 did you by any change take any other self paced classes online? I was told through the MSU CVM (Donna Grooms) that some students take biochem online.... That kinda scares me. Curious your thoughts on that? Also, any personal statement advice?!
I also took Physics II online. I don't think Biochem online would be any more nightmarish than it is with a live lecture. The material should be the same and there are dozens of youtube videos that explain the material better than most college professors. As for the personal statement, I just recommend you have as many people read it as possible, including some vets and professors. Write it way before it's due so you have time to set it aside, let it marinate, and then make any changes a week or 2 later. Feel free to PM it to me when you have a good draft and I'll give you my opinion as well. :)

I also took Physics II online. I don't think Biochem online would be any more nightmarish than it is with a live lecture. The material should be the same and there are dozens of youtube videos that explain the material better than most college professors. As for the personal statement, I just recommend you have as many people read it as possible, including some vets and professors. Write it way before it's due so you have time to set it aside, let it marinate, and then make any changes a week or 2 later. Feel free to PM it to me when you have a good draft and I'll give you my opinion as well. :)

Ohhhh Physics II online might not be so bad!! Im going to look into that! And I very much appreciate you offering to read my personal statement. Currently I am still placing the correct ingredients into the pot ;) Im hoping that it will be ready to marinate VERY soon.

I actually went to MSU for my undergrad and took Biochem there online. I'm not going to say it was easy at all, but with appropriate time and effort into the course, you'll do just fine! I actually took it in the summer as well just to get it over with!

I think I am worried for no reason, but is there a supplemental for MSU? Applying this year as well, OOS applicant but I'm originally from MI.

**EDIT- Well I guess I can actually be classified as instate. I'd do that cool line through text thing above, but I have no idea how to work it.

Last edited:
I think I am worried for no reason, but is there a supplemental for MSU? Applying this year as well, OOS applicant but I'm originally from MI.

**EDIT- Well I guess I can actually be classified as instate. I'd do that cool line through text thing above, but I have no idea how to work it.

Yes, MSU has a supplemental application.

Waiting for official scores... but the unofficial ones looked good and I know those are supposed to be pretty accurate. My SIS comes out okay with them.

But I don't really understand what a good SIS is. I know the minimum is 790 but that's all I know.
Because if you plug in the average stats from 2018 you get a SIS of like 890 but apparently for that year an 820+ was considered competitive? I don't even know.

Waiting for official scores... but the unofficial ones looked good and I know those are supposed to be pretty accurate. My SIS comes out okay with them.

But I don't really understand what a good SIS is. I know the minimum is 790 but that's all I know.
Because if you plug in the average stats from 2018 you get a SIS of like 890 but apparently for that year an 820+ was considered competitive? I don't even know.

I'm happy to here the unofficial scores looked good! Congrats :)

I know MSU states that 790 is competitive on their website, however, my friend that was accepted last cycle applied twice and was in close touch with CVM advisors. She said that 820 seemed to be considered truly competitive. You can also gain 100 extra SIS points during file review which we learned at the MSU Pre-Vet presentation (if you haven't gone to one, I highly suggest it!). I've read on here that a SIS score of 900 was average for one class' profile but I'm not sure which year.

Any input from anyone else would be awesome!!

I'm happy to here the unofficial scores looked good! Congrats :)

I know MSU states that 790 is competitive on their website, however, my friend that was accepted last cycle applied twice and was in close touch with CVM advisors. She said that 820 seemed to be considered truly competitive. You can also gain 100 extra SIS points during file review which we learned at the MSU Pre-Vet presentation (if you haven't gone to one, I highly suggest it!). I've read on here that a SIS score of 900 was average for one class' profile but I'm not sure which year.

Any input from anyone else would be awesome!!

790 is just the bare minimum you need for them to even look at you further is my understanding.

A competitive SIS varies depending on the other applicants but the website states that competitive for the class of 2017 was 800+ and competitive for class of 2018 was 820+. Nothing on the class of 2019 yet.

The average stats from the class of 2018 on the other hand... if you plug them all in it spits out a SIS of 890. Big difference.

At any rate I'm over 820 but I'm no 890 so I'm not sure how that's going to compare. Maybe I'm just stressing it too much.