Michigan State c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I went with the January 8 because I have exams the week of the 14th and none of the other schools I applied to appear to have interviews that early in January. I also could use the extra time to prepare! The MMI format makes me incredibly nervous. :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How should I format my answers for the "Getting to Know You" section? Specifically the current pets, family, and professional goals. Do I have to answer everything?
Also, if I'm going to have a degree before the interview date but don't have one now, should I just leave that out?
I mean, I know this isn't all that critical but I'm just wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who received invites: when did you submit your supplemental?

How should I format my answers for the "Getting to Know You" section? Specifically the current pets, family, and professional goals. Do I have to answer everything?
Also, if I'm going to have a degree before the interview date but don't have one now, should I just leave that out?
I mean, I know this isn't all that critical but I'm just wondering.
Nope, you don't have to answer everything. Just the top 2 I believe. As for format, they said that it doesn't really matter. The Getting to Know You page is more to build a book for your potential class so fellow classmates can learn a little about each other. Makes it easier to find other that have similar interests like equine or exotics.

Edit: Also! While the profile page is part of the application and needs to be completed, it's not worth points or anything. It's all about getting to know people once your accepted.

Does anyone know if it's a closed file interview?

The MMI format makes me incredibly nervous. :nailbiting:
Don't stress about it too much. I know that difficult to do, but it really comes down to being yourself during the MMI and staying positive. They know that you're going to be nervous and I'm sure that's taken into account, so as long as your not flipping tables or anything, you should be fine. There's several videos and articles out there to help give you an idea of what to expect and ways you can prepare. The biggest thing I've heard people say helped was just to work on your communication. Think about what you're going to say, have eye contact, and present yourself with confidence.

Everything I've read about MMI's say that the format makes things easier for both applicants and the reviewers, since you're doing multiple things every X number of minutes instead of staring at the same person for an hour talking about why kittens are fluffy. Plus, if you think you didn't do so hot in one scenario, there's always the others where you can do better. One bad round isn't going to decide your fate.

Also, the reviewers don't know anything about you besides your name, so there's no bias (unless of course they personally know you). They come from within the school and out in practice.

Edit: Here's some of the info I found last year about MMI. It should still be relevant even if it's related to human med:

Here some of the links:
CVM MMI FAQ
Sample MMI Questions
Example MMI video

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Funny that you question it, because @pinkpuppy9 said the exact same thing last year, but yes they really do mean it. If your SIS is above 790, you get an interview. Remember that last year was their first time doing interviews so I'm guessing they wanted to get a large pool to be the guinea pigs. They might increase the minimum this year or they might want a second round of guinea pigs. I called last year and they were pretty up front with how they select for interviews, so you shouldn't have a hard time getting a precise answer from them on whether the minimum has changed.

The original number we heard was 420, but when we asked during the interview debriefing, they said the final number was somewhere around 460, but I can't remember the exact number. And I agree that they handled it perfectly. Everything was scheduled well and I didn't feel lost in the crowd like with some other schools.

So.. am I reading this right?

Last year, the final number of interviews was around 460. Their total number of applicants was 901. They interviewed a little over half of their entire applicant pool and, using the interview and the supplemental as an additional indicator, came up with 119 matriculating students.

Am I right?

So.. am I reading this right?

Last year, the final number of interviews was around 460. Their total number of applicants was 901. They interviewed a little over half of their entire applicant pool and, using the interview and the supplemental as an additional indicator, came up with 119 matriculating students.

Am I right?
Yep, that sounds about right. Also to add to Felix's comment: remember that this year they did the file review first before sending the invites (per http://cvm.msu.edu/future-students/dvm) so the number of interviews will most likely be smaller. They've also changed how how the day(s) work, so the tours are the night before the actual MMI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, that sounds about right. Also to add to Felix's comment: remember that this year they did the file review first before sending the invites (per http://cvm.msu.edu/future-students/dvm) so the number of interviews will most likely be smaller. They've also changed how how the day(s) work, so the tours are the night before the actual MMI.

Ah, I see. So if your supplemental and VMCAS application meets their criteria for interview during their file review, you may receive an invite?

Ah, I see. So if your supplemental and VMCAS application meets their criteria for interview during their file review, you may receive an invite?
Yeah, I'm guessing that the supplemental most likely filters out some (whoever doesn't finish it maybe?), then the file review does whatever it does to filter, rank, whatever before invites are sent out. Since last year was their first year doing the MMI's I'm sure they have something in place now to make things easier all around and more enjoyable (as much as interviews can be ;) )

Nope, you don't have to answer everything. Just the top 2 I believe. As for format, they said that it doesn't really matter. The Getting to Know You page is more to build a book for your potential class so fellow classmates can learn a little about each other. Makes it easier to find other that have similar interests like equine or exotics.

Edit: Also! While the profile page is part of the application and needs to be completed, it's not worth points or anything. It's all about getting to know people once your accepted.

Yeah, I just want it to make sense so I wondered if there was a particular way other people usually formatted their answers.
Like, I'm not sure for my pets if I should list their names or their species. Haha.

Yeah, I just want it to make sense so I wondered if there was a particular way other people usually formatted their answers.
Like, I'm not sure for my pets if I should list their names or their species. Haha.
Hmm I would think their name would be fine, but making a list wouldn't hurt. Something like

• Sky (Siamese)
  • Rascal (Maine Coon)
  • Kiki (Australian Shepard)

Hi all! I just joined this thread and am so excited to finally have people to chat with about all this! Wish I'd have found this during the application process! Better late than never, I guess!

I just received the mmi invite this morning and am super excited but also quite nervous! I want this so badly! (And I'm sure you can all relate!) Anywhoo! I'm pleased to "meet" you all and look forward to chatting with it all over the coming weeks/months.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I'm guessing that the supplemental most likely filters out some (whoever doesn't finish it maybe?), then the file review does whatever it does to filter, rank, whatever before invites are sent out. Since last year was their first year doing the MMI's I'm sure they have something in place now to make things easier all around and more enjoyable (as much as interviews can be ;) )

I spoke with one of my advisors who was on the ad com last year about the interview process. It was a few weeks ago, but from what I can remember, they basically have a cutoff point for GPA/stats (your SIS score). Few people get extra points on the supplemental (only if you have a lot of experience - like thousands of hours or have published research), and the MMI is scored.

But don't worry about the MMI - I am such a nervous interviewer but it was so fast paced I barely had time to think about being nervous. You have such a short amount of time between reading the question/prompt/scenario and actually going into the room and talking to the interviewer that you focus more on what to say instead of thinking about how nervous you are. If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me about anything!

The MMI format does worry me as well. Do we have to speak about the prompt for the whole 8 minutes or is it more interactive between the student and interviewers?

I will be interviewing Dec 12th in the AM! I submitted my supplemental 10/27 and am technically OOS, but have been living IS since March.
EEk! So nervous, but extremely excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys!
I'll be flying from Seattle for my interview. Anyone know the best airport to fly into/areas to stay? I'm not at all familiar with Michigan and I couldn't find recommendations on MSU's website...

The MMI format does worry me as well. Do we have to speak about the prompt for the whole 8 minutes or is it more interactive between the student and interviewers?
No you can speak however much you want. If you get stuck on words just take a break and laugh it out if you need to, they understand. Better to take a few moments and collect yourself than rush and say something you don't mean to. I spoke anywhere from 3 minutes to running out of time at some of the stations, all depends on how much I wanted to say. They'll usually just take the extra time to write down your answers and such.

No you can speak however much you want. If you get stuck on words just take a break and laugh it out if you need to, they understand. Better to take a few moments and collect yourself than rush and say something you don't mean to. I spoke anywhere from 3 minutes to running out of time at some of the stations, all depends on how much I wanted to say. They'll usually just take the extra time to write down your answers and such.
So, if our answer only takes 3 minutes, do they respond back? What do we do with the rest of the time?

Hi guys!
I'll be flying from Seattle for my interview. Anyone know the best airport to fly into/areas to stay? I'm not at all familiar with Michigan and I couldn't find recommendations on MSU's website...
I would say either metro airport or there is one located here in Lansing too

Hi guys!
You can fly into Lansing. You'll probably have a connecting flight into Detroit since Lansing's airport is super small. Your other option, which is probably cheaper, is to fly into Detroit. They have a bus that takes students from the Detroit airport into East Lansing. As far as areas to stay, check out hotels in East Lansing or Okemos. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi guys, a few questions:
Does anyone know if the the "Meet and Greet" can help/hurt you? Do they keep track of who comes and are members of the adcom in attendance? I'm pretty busy with work and planned on just driving to EL for the PM interview on the 12th instead of coming the night before and having to find somewhere to stay.
And do the people interviewing in December get reviewed and/or accepted/rejected sooner than the later dates? Because for the supplemental app. and interview invites, it looks like they reviewed/ranked the applicants all at once (for the most part).
Thanks!

Does anyone know if the the "Meet and Greet" can help/hurt you? Do they keep track of who comes and are members of the adcom in attendance? I'm pretty busy with work and planned on just driving to EL for the PM interview on the 12th instead of coming the night before and having to find somewhere to stay.
And do the people interviewing in December get reviewed and/or accepted/rejected sooner than the later dates? Because for the supplemental app. and interview invites, it looks like they reviewed/ranked the applicants all at once (for the most part).
Thanks!

I think if you can go to the meet and greet you should. It is an extra opportunity to let yourself shine and introduce you self to some potentially important people. However, I am sure they are aware that people (especially instate) all have jobs/school that keep them busy. I don't necessarily think people will get accepted or rejected sooner. As far as I can tell, last year a few exceptional people got acceptances, but the CVM waited until most of the people interviewed through February. Also keep in mind that there are some people who have yet to receive the supplemental due to the VMCAS transcript verification delay. So there are still several people out there who have yet to go through file review. - For those of you in that position, stay strong!

Hope that helps!

For those of you freaking out about the MMI-style interviews, don't! If you read last year's thread, you'll see that most people (including myself) had a blast! They're very good about making you feel relaxed. They just want to get to know you and see how you handle certain situations. Just be yourself and you'll be fine! Aside from looking up a video or two to understand how MMI's usually run, I actually would not recommend doing any preparation for this particular set of interviews. They won't ask you anything you don't already know the answer to. Good luck and see you guys there!

Reactions: 4 users
For those of you freaking out about the MMI-style interviews, don't! If you read last year's thread, you'll see that most people (including myself) had a blast! They're very good about making you feel relaxed. They just want to get to know you and see how you handle certain situations. Just be yourself and you'll be fine! Aside from looking up a video or two to understand how MMI's usually run, I actually would not recommend doing any preparation for this particular set of interviews. They won't ask you anything you don't already know the answer to. Good luck and see you guys there!
Thank you Félix!! That eases my mind. :)

Felixor90, did you say you were giving tours on Dec. 11th? I take it you will be at the meet and greet? What do you think we should wear to that? I was going to save my suit for the interview.

If you received an interview invitation, do you mind posting you SIS score?

Does anyone know how many are being interviewed?

If you received an interview invitation, do you mind posting you SIS score?

Does anyone know how many are being interviewed?

If I get accepted I'll let everyone know what my SIS score was... but mine is significantly lower than what I've seen some other people post so I kinda don't want to share it. Of course none of us know whether we got bonus SIS.

I'd also be interested in knowing how many are being interviewed.
Questions for anyone who might know:
Are there more than just the two dates that us "first wave" people got to pick from? What was the number of slots available for each session?
We can probably get an estimate if we know how many dates/how many slots.

I'm assuming there are definitely more than just those two dates, because interviews go into Feb. I am curious to know how many people will be interviewing as well!

Thanks!
Hi everyone, was away from my PC most of the weekend, so I'll try to answer what I know and catch up. From what I was told, the Meet and Greet does NOT affect your chances (unless you start flipping tables or something). It's more of a way to get to know everyone, take tours, and meet with some of the faculty, staff, and students. Plus, it breaks things up so the next day you only have to worry about MMI's.

I believe flights were already answered, but either LAN (Lansing) or DTW (Detroit) are your best bets. If you fly in to DTW, make sure you check the Michigan Flyer times. It's a bit of a ride since it goes from Detroit to Ann Arbor, then to Lansing, but it may be worth it so you're not paying more to fly into LAN.

I'm sure there's more days (there were a bunch last year), so I'm guessing there will be 2 or 3 more. They did say that they're interviewing less since they did the review first, so they most likely don't need as many days. The days that are posted right now are the only ones the first "wave" gets to choose from. The number of slots available on the schedule page are the total amount allowed for each session.

woohoo, finally got the supplemental!!! oh, look at that, everyone else is already signed up for an interview... :lame:

woohoo, finally got the supplemental!!! oh, look at that, everyone else is already signed up for an interview... :lame:

Not quite signed up yet if it makes you feel better ;)
I've still got to find time to take a stupid picture of myself before I can submit the interview application.

Good luck with supplemental. It's a pain in the rear. Haha.

I'm sure there's more days (there were a bunch last year), so I'm guessing there will be 2 or 3 more. They did say that they're interviewing less since they did the review first, so they most likely don't need as many days. The days that are posted right now are the only ones the first "wave" gets to choose from. The number of slots available on the schedule page are the total amount allowed for each session.

How many did they interview last year? I keep forgetting.
I think the highest number of slots that I saw for an individual time was 35 but some of the numbers had already gone down some so I wasn't sure how many slots were actually available to begin with.

I want to say 37 slots were open when I was signing up and that was right after I received the email

I also saw ~41 spots in each time frame.

Do you think there is any advantage to going in Dec versus Jan? I'm looking at flights and Jan is way cheaper!
I don't think so, they won't make any decisions until all interviews are done anyways

I know this is kind of a silly question... But how much information are you all putting in the getting to know you section for the interview?