Michigan State c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing like narrowly avoiding a potentially bad accident while driving to your interview to calm your nerves.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That was one of the most engaging interview experiences I've ever had -- ever. Absolutely loved it.

Reactions: 2 users
That was one of the most engaging interview experiences I've ever had -- ever. Absolutely loved it.
If only they were all like that! It was my first interview last year and it kinda set me up for failure. I thought the ones at other schools would be that laid back and fun....>.<! I'm glad it went well and you had fun. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was hoping that one of the current students could answer a quick question. How much hands on experience do we get before we end up in clinicals? I know we have the clinical competencies classes, but what do we actually do in that class (practice exams, learn how to place iv/cath, practice on real animals)?

So I was hoping that one of the current students could answer a quick question. How much hands on experience do we get before we end up in clinicals? I know we have the clinical competencies classes, but what do we actually do in that class (practice exams, learn how to place iv/cath, practice on real animals)?

I can only speak for the first semester clin comp. We learned restraint techniques for cows, horses, goats, birds, some reptiles, dogs, rats, and mice (might be forgetting a few). For most of the labs, there was usually one restraint-focused session and one physical exam session. We also practiced blood draws and injections on equine and rat models. For the wildlife lab, we practiced using dart guns. There was a lab session where we practiced performing a neuro exam on dogs and then another where we practiced doing ophthalmology exams on dogs. The research animal lab session also allowed us to practice blood draws on the actual animals. We also had a zoo lab where we got to restrain a variety of small zoo animals.

They also recently set up a skills lab that is available 3-4 times per semester. It usually involves having a bunch of dummies for you to practice things like IM and subQ injections, blood draws, suturing, anesthesia, drug calculations, etc. The skills lab is tailored for the second years that are taking junior surgery, but it's available to all CVM and tech students.

The amount of hands on experience you get through classes at any school is not going to be enough (in my opinion) to make you comfortable when you graduate. It's up to each student to shadow, work, volunteer, etc. during breaks and gaps in exams to make up for that. The hospital is always open to you and most clinicians/techs are happy to let you get your hands dirty.

Reactions: 2 users
So Felixor covered first semester. You'll also have opportunities in first and second semester anatomy to palpate animals and explore a cow's rumen, among other things. In your fourth semester, which is where I am now, you have a large animal clin comp class. It's basically half lecture, half hands-on. We haven't gotten to the hands-on part yet, but we'll be going out to the dairy barn and working with horses too. You also have your principles of surgery and anesthesia class where you practice all the other goodies like placing IV catheters, suturing, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard when MSU will be making in-state decisions from the February 19th interview batch? Or when we should hear something?

Has anyone heard when MSU will be making in-state decisions from the February 19th interview batch? Or when we should hear something?
I interviewed last week and I think they said they had two more rounds of acceptances to go out. One in about the 1st week of March and the last about the 3rd week. They also said that more people were getting put on waitlist this year vs accepted outright because they over accepted last year and got a larger than anticipated class because alot of OOSers accepted their offers.

Just woke up, hope that was clear enough.

Good luck everyone that's interviewing tomorrow! It's a whole lot more fun than it is scary.

Getting antsy!! Anyone hear any updates about acceptances being sent this week? When the admissions committee is meeting? Or when they plan to send acceptances out?

Reactions: 1 users
Getting antsy!! Anyone hear any updates about acceptances being sent this week? When the admissions committee is meeting? Or when they plan to send acceptances out?

I wasn't able to go to the meet and greet on the 25th, did they say when we should be hearing back for OOS acceptance?

I believe they said we'll receive news on decisions around mid-march

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like that's so late :/
Trust me, it's for your own benefit that they take so long. They look at applicants holistically instead of just basing final decisions on a set of numbers. They also try to get input from the admissions committee instead of just having one person do all the deciding. Would you rather they give you a decision right away solely based on where you sit numerically (GPA, experience hours, etc.) or give you a decision later on based on how well you "match" with the school? Their admissions methods take a bit longer, but it's worth the wait.

Trust me, I know how horrible the wait is (I was literally going crazy this time last year), but the decision will be in your hands before you know it. :)

Trust me, it's for your own benefit that they take so long. They look at applicants holistically instead of just basing final decisions on a set of numbers. They also try to get input from the admissions committee instead of just having one person do all the deciding. Would you rather they give you a decision right away solely based on where you sit numerically (GPA, experience hours, etc.) or give you a decision later on based on how well you "match" with the school? Their admissions methods take a bit longer, but it's worth the wait.

Trust me, I know how horrible the wait is (I was literally going crazy this time last year), but the decision will be in your hands before you know it. :)

I know, but we have to make our final decisions by April 15 so I just don't want things to be rushed in the long run, but I'm glad they take a good amount of time to decide.

I emailed Donna on Monday and she said this:

"Our faculty is still reviewing files and will have some complete this week and the majority complete the third week in March. There will be some offer and alternate letters that go out this week and then the remainder the third week in March."

Woah, just got an email. I'm IN!!

Reactions: 6 users
OOS accepted!!! I thought I did TERRIBLY on the interviews, so this is kind of surprising. But still exciting!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Wow--OOS accepted! I felt like a fool in the interviews!

Reactions: 7 users
OOS accepted!

Time to start working on my papers to get converted to IS now that it's official. So surreal right now.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to all that were accepted already! If you have any questions while deciding between MSU and another OOS school, send me a message.

For those that haven't gotten an acceptance yet, don't get discouraged. This is only the first wave and it's much smaller than the next one. Stay positive!

Congratulations everyone who was accepted (and everyone who will be)! We're gonna be VETERINARIANS!! (that still sounds so weird coming out of my mouth, I can barely contain my excitement!) I'm really excited to meet all of you!

So... Other accepted applicants-- anyone looking for a roommate? :)
Vet students already at MSU-- any specific suggestions for best places to live?

For anyone wondering, there's been no movement on the IS waiting list.

For anyone wondering, there's been no movement on the IS waiting list.
I don't think there will be any movement before April 15th. My understanding from DG is that they wait until the deadline, then see how many spots they have and then start going down the wait list.

Unless your Intel is different?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I don't think there will be any movement before April 15th. My understanding from DG is that they wait until the deadline, then see how many spots they have and then start going down the wait list.

Unless your Intel is different?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I didn't know that! I asked my position and was told, "You are still x on the list." If this is true, that's a bit more comforting. Thanks.

I have decided to decline my OOS seat. I REALLY hope it helps someone on here get off the waitlist!!! Good luck to everyone!

I have decided to decline my OOS seat. I REALLY hope it helps someone on here get off the waitlist!!! Good luck to everyone!
Thanks lilylilac, best of luck at Ohio!

Meanwhile still waiting for a final decision/OOS offer... Anyone know any more specifics, or just that we should hear sometime this week? I have to make my decision by April 1 (international schools don't have to abide by the US Apr 15 deadline!), so I'm just hoping I hear before Mar 30, which would be just my luck...

Thanks lilylilac, best of luck at Ohio!

Meanwhile still waiting for a final decision/OOS offer... Anyone know any more specifics, or just that we should hear sometime this week? I have to make my decision by April 1 (international schools don't have to abide by the US Apr 15 deadline!), so I'm just hoping I hear before Mar 30, which would be just my luck...
I think I remember hearing that the final wave would be released in the 3rd week of March

If it was like last year, you should be hearing by the end of this week or early in the next one. March 18th was the day they sent out the major wave of OOS offers last year. Could be totally different this time, though, so don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
If it was like last year, you should be hearing by the end of this week or early in the next one. March 18th was the day they sent out the major wave of OOS offers. Could be totally different this week, though, so don't quote me on that.

Okay, thanks for the reassurance everyone! Fingers crossed they come out soon, and I can find positive distractions in the meanwhile. Patience requires practice, right? Lol

Hello,
does anyone know details about the curriculum and schedule for the surgery prelim year at MSU- Lansing?
Thank you so much

Just got the email. I'm in the alternate list (OOS).

OOS admitted! The email came to my spam folder, so check yours carefully!

Do we have to wait until after April 15 to find out if the alternate list has moved?

Do we have to wait until after April 15 to find out if the alternate list has moved?

Unfortunately yes. From my correspondences with them, they will wait until after April 15th and then the committee will meet to determine how many spots they have to offer and start going down the alternate lists. Are you IS or OOS?

Unfortunately yes. From my correspondences with them, they will wait until after April 15th and then the committee will meet to determine how many spots they have to offer and start going down the alternate lists. Are you IS or OOS?
OOS, but I'm really high on the alternate list! So I'm really hoping someone chooses another school lol ;)

Do we need to call in order to find out our position on the OOS alternate list?

Got the email yesterday, OOS alternate list. Does anyone know on average how many people every year get off the alternate list and get in?

I will be accepting my IS, so hopefully that helps one of you guys on the alternate list move up! :)

Can any current students explain why they chose MSU over other schools (besides it being your IS)? Or maybe their experience at MSU thus far. I'm trying to make a decision within the next week and my mind is scrambling.

Last edited:
Can any current students explain why they chose MSU over other schools (besides it being your IS)? Or maybe their experience at MSU thus far. I'm trying to make a decision within the next week and my mind is scrambling.
Go to your instate (if it is cheaper). Save your money. You will get the same education wherever you go. I got a great education at MSU. A lot of employers outside of Michigan told me that they like MSU grads for various reasons. The school definitely has a great reputation. So, go to your instate.

Last edited:
Also, when do we have to have vaccinations done by? Specifically the rabies vaccine, since I know this isn't a cheap vaccine. Does the school provide discounts for this at all?

Also, when do we have to have vaccinations done by? Specifically the rabies vaccine, since I know this isn't a cheap vaccine. Does the school provide discounts for this at all?
The school orders the vaccines in bulk, so it is discounted (don't know how much though). The vaccines are done during the first few weeks of school.

You should check with your health insurance. I got my vaccines at my county's board of health, and my insurance covered all of it. I had them done during the summer so I didn't have to worry about it later on. I think getting it done through the school is like $600-800. I don't remember the exact amount, but it definitely wasn't cheap.

It was $250 per dose for us this year, so $750 in total. They also offer TB testing during the first few weeks and it was like $10 or $15 (I think).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey guys! I am currently an undergrad at MSU this year and I've committed to an out of state vet school. That means I'll have to transfer my lease. At MSU the housing goes FAST. There are three other awesome girls on the lease who are looking for a 3rd female roommate. They are fun but not nosey/rowdy at all. You would have your own room and there are 2 bathrooms for 4 people total. It is located on louis street which is only one block from campus and a parking spot can be negotiated! Rent is $580 utilities included, which is a great deal considering the average for the area. If you're interested just let me know and I would be happy to send you pictures of the apartment.

Where does one go to buy CVM apparel?? I know there is a website, but since I actually live in E. Lansing I wanted to pick some up!