Michigan State c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where does one go to buy CVM apparel?? I know there is a website, but since I actually live in E. Lansing I wanted to pick some up!
You can go to the medical bookstore in the basement of Fee.

Members don't see this ad.

Where does one go to buy CVM apparel?? I know there is a website, but since I actually live in E. Lansing I wanted to pick some up!
You can go to the medical book store in fee hall, but they did a merchandise clearance last semester and last I heard they still haven't restocked most of the stuff (we bought out every single CVM item because they were all 90% off!). Wouldn't hurt to check it out or at least call them. Additionally, there's a few clubs that are selling polos and other CVM stuff right now. If the store doesn't have anything yet, PM me and I'll get you in contact with someone that can email you a catalog of what they're selling. Also, whenever they start adding upperclassmen to the 2020 FB group, the class of 2018 and 2019 will post order forms for merchandise that you can buy (scrubs, clipboards, t-shirts, sweatpants, sweatshirts, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
Do we get a confirmation of enrollment once they receive all our papers/payments? I sent out my envelope last week and haven't heard back, but I emailed DG today to ask if they got it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we get a confirmation of enrollment once they receive all our papers/payments? I sent out my envelope last week and haven't heard back, but I emailed DG today to ask if they got it.
I got a confirmation that they received my things a couple of weeks ago, and an email about what prereqs i was missing. (I was not missing anything but still got an email). But it has been ~2 weeks and my checks haven't been cashed yet. I wish theyd hurry up because still seeing the money in my bank account is throwing me off

But it has been ~2 weeks and my checks haven't been cashed yet. I wish theyd hurry up because still seeing the money in my bank account is throwing me off
Oh no, that'll be a pain budgeting and knowing there's more in my account than there should be/will be whenever they deposit.

Oh no, that'll be a pain budgeting and knowing there's more in my account than there should be/will be whenever they deposit.
Mine just came out of my bank account this week and I sent it in about three weeks ago.

I got a confirmation that they received my things a couple of weeks ago, and an email about what prereqs i was missing. (I was not missing anything but still got an email). But it has been ~2 weeks and my checks haven't been cashed yet. I wish theyd hurry up because still seeing the money in my bank account is throwing me off
Just today I received confirmation that they did have my deposit and app fee, but its still in my bank acct.

I know orientation is Aug 25th-26th. Can anyone shed light on what to expect during these days?

I know orientation is Aug 25th-26th. Can anyone shed light on what to expect during these days?
This last year, the first day was tours of different facilities (dairy research barn, DCPAH, etc.) and was 100% optional. I would recommend the DPAH tour! Second day was the white coat ceremony in the morning, then luncheon with speeches from some admins and current students. After the lunch, you can take long, very detailed tours that show you and your family aspects of the school and hospital that you couldn't see during the interview tours (large animal MRI room, radiation lab in the oncology center, etc.). Third day was a team building day where you get introduced to your anatomy groups and go through a series of team-building exercises, meet the course moderators (main professors) for your first semester, and a few other exercises. Last day is for students only - no parents or other guests allowed.

That's the first year they've done it like this so they might change it again or keep it like that if the committee liked it. They'll send you a schedule in the middle of summer.

Reactions: 1 users
I declined my IS seat today, so hopefully one you SDNers on the IS waitlist will get notification soon! :)

This last year, the first day was tours of different facilities (dairy research barn, DCPAH, etc.) and was 100% optional. I would recommend the DPAH tour! Second day was the white coat ceremony in the morning, then luncheon with speeches from some admins and current students. After the lunch, you can take long, very detailed tours that show you and your family aspects of the school and hospital that you couldn't see during the interview tours (large animal MRI room, radiation lab in the oncology center, etc.). Third day was a team building day where you get introduced to your anatomy groups and go through a series of team-building exercises, meet the course moderators (main professors) for your first semester, and a few other exercises. Last day is for students only - no parents or other guests allowed.

That's the first year they've done it like this so they might change it again or keep it like that if the committee liked it. They'll send you a schedule in the middle of summer.
Thanks so much for your insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
Declined my OOS seat today--good luck SDNers!

I was 6 on the IS waitlist and got an acceptance today. I'll be turning it down--just an FYI that the list is moving. Good luck to everyone!

Agggh I'm going to be anxious all day. Number 38 for OOS I want to go here so bad! I hope the list really moves this year.

Just out of curiosity, why are you in-staters declining offers? I just find it so weird that there's been so much movement when there was practically none last year for IS.

And can I take your IS tuition? Lol

Just out of curiosity, why are you in-staters declining offers? I just find it so weird that there's been so much movement when there was practically none last year for IS.

There's a couple of reasons for me. I did my undergrad here and I just don't feel like I'm happy with the program anymore. There's nothing necessarily wrong with it, and I have a lot of friends that have had great experiences at the vet school, but it's not for me. Partly I think I've just lived in Michigan my whole life (and I do love this state) but I needed a change. I don't have a great home life and it's been extra terrible lately so I'm really looking forward to getting far away from here. I decided on Minnesota for school and I just absolutely loved it. Loved the atmosphere. Loved the study abroad and extracurricular opportunities. There were also a TON of classes related to my specific interests, far more than any other school I applied to. The interview was probably the least stressful professional experience of my life and I actually enjoyed the whole process. I just left my interview wishing more than anything that I could go there, so once I got it it was no contest. Even at the interview I felt like I already belonged there. I honestly have been really unhappy with my whole application process to MSU and I just got tired of it. I felt like I was just a number in a system, whereas when I went to Minnesota I felt like I was already part of their school. Yeah the OOS tuition is awful, but the thought of spending another 4 years here was honestly worse.

I don't want to discourage anyone from MSU. It's really a great program and I'm going to miss a lot about it. I think I was just unfortunate to have a fair number of poor experiences in my application process/undergrad career so when I found a school that had everything I was looking for I just lost all interest in going here.

I know!! @pinkpuppy9 was saying that the other day. But it's great that the IS list is actually moving too!

Give me your seatttttttttt pleaaaaase!

ISers for UIUC have been turning down seats as well to go elsewhere. I'm not going to pretend to understand, unless you can get IS tuition elsewhere.

ISers for UIUC have been turning down seats as well to go elsewhere. I'm not going to pretend to understand, unless you can get IS tuition elsewhere.
It's one of those things that you can only fully understand once you're in the program and reality starts to set in. I can understand wanting to get out of where you've been for such a long time, but oh boy is that sticker shock gonna hurt in a year or two. Either way, we all end up where we're supposed to. :)

I know it can be really hard to understand from financial perspective. I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but for me I knew I really wouldn't be happy here, and that's what mattered to me. My situation is probably unique compared to others, but I thought really hard about the fact that I'd be spending 4 years wherever I chose to go and the thought of being here didn't sit well. I don't want to hate vet school. It's going to be hard enough without disliking the institution I've chosen. Sometimes I wish I could just ignore that and pick the cheap school because I'd love to be able to save all that money for IS tuition! Maybe it would've been different if I'd gotten accepted right away instead of wait listed, but I just don't have a desire to go here. And who knows? Maybe I'd end up being really happy here, I just don't think that's likely after being here for 4.5 years and already desperately wanting to leave. Yeah it's a lot of extra debt, but I didn't want to pick a school just because it was cheaper. I can only assume there are others that feel the same way.

Just trying to help others understand ;) Money may be the deciding factor for most people, but for others of us it's much more complicated. I promise we're not crazy (or crazy rich), we just have some different priorities!

I know it can be really hard to understand from financial perspective. I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but for me I knew I really wouldn't be happy here, and that's what mattered to me. My situation is probably unique compared to others, but I thought really hard about the fact that I'd be spending 4 years wherever I chose to go and the thought of being here didn't sit well. I don't want to hate vet school. It's going to be hard enough without disliking the institution I've chosen. Sometimes I wish I could just ignore that and pick the cheap school because I'd love to be able to save all that money for IS tuition! Maybe it would've been different if I'd gotten accepted right away instead of wait listed, but I just don't have a desire to go here. And who knows? Maybe I'd end up being really happy here, I just don't think that's likely after being here for 4.5 years and already desperately wanting to leave. Yeah it's a lot of extra debt, but I didn't want to pick a school just because it was cheaper. I can only assume there are others that feel the same way.

Just trying to help others understand ;) Money may be the deciding factor for most people, but for others of us it's much more complicated. I promise we're not crazy (or crazy rich), we just have some different priorities!
What's the difference in cost?

Because is it worth that difference plus interest to you? Sure, you are right about mental well being being important, but what about your mental well being when you can't afford a car or a decent place to live for many years after because of the increased debt? just something to ponder.

It's only 4 years. Then you can move anywhere else you want

Reactions: 3 users

I think for most people, 4 years of "unhappiness" would be worth not being in debt for 40 years or until they died. Have you looked at the "would you do this over again thread" that was posted a year or so ago? There are people who can't even get over the interest hump in their loans because it is gaining speed that quickly (and that was with IS tuition). It's a scary reality that we all have to accept, which is why just about everyone one here begs pre-vets to choose the cheaper option.

That being said, you are right that everyone's priorities are different, and for your personal situation it might just be worth it. I do have a request though. In 3-4 years or so, you should check back in on SDN and let us know how things are, and let us know what you think of your decision, because I'm genuinely curious to see if students that choose OOS over IS would do it over again.

According to VIN it's around a $100,000 difference.....

Quite frankly I couldn't justify going OOS when the tuition cost difference was 30K. In the end, you can easily add another 50% of interest on top of that, sometimes 80% when you get around to paying it. Naaah not worth it, not when it comes to that sort of money. For me, at least, the deciding factor was and always would be cost.

Quite frankly I couldn't justify going OOS when the tuition cost difference was 30K. In the end, you can easily add another 50% of interest on top of that, sometimes 80% when you get around to paying it. Naaah not worth it, not when it comes to that sort of money. For me, at least, the deciding factor was and always would be cost.
Exactly. I think interest is something really easy to overlook when you are looking at loans (I know I did when I was applying). Just a quick plug and chug into the VIN site (http://www.vinfoundation.org/AppUti...357&objecttypeid=10&redirectFromMiscDefault=1) makes it seem that you could easily be looking at a $200,000 difference or more when it's all said and done depending on what route you take.

Again, for a few people, it could be worth it. For me personally, I want to buy a house and have kids and maybe buy a clinic one day, which really wouldn't be very possible for me if I made the decision to go OOS.

No, I get that. That's thinking about the next 4 years instead of the next 40.

Trust me, I wouldn't have applied to MSU if it wasn't my IS. If you are attending a school where you can qualify for IS tuition, that's one thing. To go to a school where you think you'll be happier is another entirely, especially since you have no guarantee that it will actually play out that way.
It's one of those things that you can only fully understand once you're in the program and reality starts to set in. I can understand wanting to get out of where you've been for such a long time, but oh boy is that sticker shock gonna hurt in a year or two. Either way, we all end up where we're supposed to. :)
I can guarantee you I wouldn't have liked attending MSU for several reasons. Would I have gone if offered a seat? Yes.

Because is it worth that difference plus interest to you? Sure, you are right about mental well being being important, but what about your mental well being when you can't afford a car or a decent place to live for many years after because of the increased debt? just something to ponder.

It's only 4 years. Then you can move anywhere else you want

It is worth it to me. This isn't a decision that I made lightly either. I've done my research and talked to a financial advisor and yes it is a huge difference in cost, but it's not going to be impossible. I get that you're all trying to help and are looking at the facts, but it really isn't so black and white for my situation. I'm sorry if I'm not making my reasons clear or if they seem trivial, but for me they really are not. It may just be too hard to convey all the reasons in one small text post :shrug:I really don't want to start a whole argument of cost vs. school benefits--I just wanted to give my honest opinion on why I chose to give up my IS spot and to let others who were struggling with the decision (as I was) know that there are other options out there. Looking over some of the decisions threads I just felt like some people were being pushed into choosing a school they really didn't want to go to just based on cost.

I know everyone is looking out for each other and making sure all pre-vet/new vet students understand what they're getting themselves into, and that's great! I just also hope everyone remembers that each person's situation is different and what makes perfect sense for you may be totally wrong for someone else. I'm very aware of the massive load of debt I will have (although I'm still planning on trying to get residency of course) after thorough research and a very long thought process it is DEFINITELY worth it to me. I wasn't even totally sure if MSU would be a valid option before today, I just got contacted off the wait list! But I really really don't want to argue about this with you guys, I never meant to start trouble! Again, I just wanted to convey that there are valid reasons for not picking your IS :)

Ashgirl if I remember in 3-4 years I will post something on SDN to tell others how I feel about my decision. I think that would be a great story to tell! That may be a big if though haha I don't even remember what I had for breakfast :p

As a life long disliker of my home state, I would have (and still would) served the dean of admissions lunch on a silver platter everyday until my death to get off the waitlist at LSU. I was enamored with leaving to--still am bc I have no choice. But now I'm dreading the 200k (before interest!) of debt that is my future. My dislike of LA has nothing to do with the vet school.

It is worth it to me. This isn't a decision that I made lightly either. I've done my research and talked to a financial advisor and yes it is a huge difference in cost, but it's not going to be impossible. I get that you're all trying to help and are looking at the facts, but it really isn't so black and white for my situation. I'm sorry if I'm not making my reasons clear or if they seem trivial, but for me they really are not. It may just be too hard to convey all the reasons in one small text post :shrug:I really don't want to start a whole argument of cost vs. school benefits--I just wanted to give my honest opinion on why I chose to give up my IS spot and to let others who were struggling with the decision (as I was) know that there are other options out there. Looking over some of the decisions threads I just felt like some people were being pushed into choosing a school they really didn't want to go to just based on cost.

I know everyone is looking out for each other and making sure all pre-vet/new vet students understand what they're getting themselves into, and that's great! I just also hope everyone remembers that each person's situation is different and what makes perfect sense for you may be totally wrong for someone else. I'm very aware of the massive load of debt I will have (although I'm still planning on trying to get residency of course) after thorough research and a very long thought process it is DEFINITELY worth it to me. I wasn't even totally sure if MSU would be a valid option before today, I just got contacted off the wait list! But I really really don't want to argue about this with you guys, I never meant to start trouble! Again, I just wanted to convey that there are valid reasons for not picking your IS :)

Ashgirl if I remember in 3-4 years I will post something on SDN to tell others how I feel about my decision. I think that would be a great story to tell! That may be a big if though haha I don't even remember what I had for breakfast :p
Think about it this way. It's a difference of like 100k in tuition costs over that time. That's enough to buy a small house. 3-5 cars. That's enough in the future that you may *never* get out of debt.

It's entirely up to you. But you need to really put it in perspective.

MN is like the most expensive OOS school.

Personally, I think it's naive to think that's worth it because future you probably won't be very happy with past you. But again, your choice.

Think about it this way. It's a difference of like 100k in tuition costs over that time. That's enough to buy a small house. 3-5 cars. That's enough in the future that you may *never* get out of debt.

It's entirely up to you. But you need to really put it in perspective.

MN is like the most expensive OOS school.

Personally, I think it's naive to think that's worth it because future you probably won't be very happy with past you. But again, your choice.

Again, I appreciate the concern but you are right--it is my choice. I want to emphasize once more that this was not a decision I made lightly, but I really shouldn't have to give my reasons for making the choice I did. The only reason I posted at all was to give an honest answer. I really don't mean to be rude, so I am sorry if this is coming off a little snotty but I don't know how else to say it. I'm just tired of trying to justify myself to strangers. This is the last I'm going to say on the matter here. I'd be happy to discuss this over private message with anyone that feels strongly on the matter or is in a similar situation but I don't want to bog this thread down anymore.

Last edited:
@pinkpuppy9 Are ya gonna be coming back to Michigan when you're done? I know you're a zooie so!
It depends on a lot of factors. My boyfriend's career could stay in Michigan until he retires. However, if I do a residency, MSU doesn't have a stable zoo medicine program. If I start out in GP, we get married/start a family, I would at least start out in MI and go from there. Things are up in the air for all of that, which makes him understandably hesitant to buy a home. If I do end up successfully pursuing zoo med, I'll end up wherever I'm hired I assume.

Again, I appreciate the concern but you are right--it is my choice. I want to emphasize once more that this was not a decision I made lightly, but I really shouldn't have to give my reasons for making the choice I did. The only reason I posted at all was to give an honest answer. I really don't mean to be rude, so I am sorry if this is coming off a little snotty but I don't know how else to say it. I'm just tired of trying to justify myself to strangers. This is the last I'm going to say on the matter here. I'd be happy to discuss this over private message with anyone that feels strongly on the matter or is in a similar situation but I don't want to bog this thread down anymore.
You know, I'm just reiterating for those that haven't considered it, too. You certainly don't have to justify yourself. I'd personally be surprised if your financial advisor didn't strongly urge you to consider dealing with being unhappier for 4 years instead of 40. But again, your decision. I really don't care what your personal reasons are.

You may have your reasons but it comes across as naive to anyone in the business for good reason. The salaries we make as veterinarians are hard enough to pay on loans without increasing the cost by going to a school that is $100k more.

Of COURSE it's your choice.

That doesn't automatically make it a good one, and you shouldn't pretend that just because it's your choice it's automatically the right one.

I even went to UMN - and LOVED it - and I still think that paying what amounts to up to almost twice the cost (depending on if/when you get residency) for vet school is foolish. If I didn't have a house and kids in a local school district I would have looked long and hard at somewhere else (like Wisconsin, which would at that point have been cheaper for me OOS than MN IS).

You don't have to justify yourself to strangers. But you also shouldn't be surprised when you post your thoughts about it and people post back with a different opinion. Especially when they have a solid rational reason and your reason is vague and more 'touchy feely' than anything.

Doesn't make it any less your choice. And no matter what you pick, I hope you're happy with your choice. I *really* hope that future you is happy with your choice, but I very strongly suspect you'll look backwards and say "man... I wish I had considered what they were saying without just reacting emotionally."

I hope not. Because I do wish you the best. But that's my suspicion about what will happen.

Either way, best of luck. UMN is an awesome school with great staff and a very busy hospital. And some new updates that are nice. You should be coming in at a time when the GP part of the hospital is newly built out, and the floor plans look fantastic.

I know the "beat the dead horse" has been posted, but I am going to have something different to say actually...

I am normally 1000% on the "go the cheapest route" bandwagon. I really, really do think that there are only a few, rare circumstances in which paying OOS tuition is a better option than paying IS tuition. Now maybe it is because I read @Cometbt 's post in the "rant here" thread and had very vivid flashbacks to being locked in my bedroom with my older sister banging on the door yelling threatening things at me, cursing at me, threatening to come after me and I can kind of relate a bit. Granted I was very lucky in that my family would back ME up every time we sent went ape **** crazy like that and if I was ever home alone with her and needed to call the cops, my parents backed that up too. I can't imagine how much different it would have been had my parents not been willing to back me up like that. Granted all of this happened back as I was leaving for/in undergrad and moving 2 hours away was far enough away to be out of the drama. I don't know how far away from home @Cometbt 's IS vet school is, but if it is anywhere close where the drama can land in her "doorstep"... giving away your left arm would be worth it to not have to deal with it.. I'd have found a way to come up with a billion dollars if it meant I could be rid of that situation. You don't realize how much of an impact that has on a person and how incredibly terrifying it is to be in the middle of that. I am seriously in tears at the moment thinking back on how horrible life was during that time with my sister around and that was around 8-10 years ago, yet I can recall it and the pain as if it were yesterday. That type of thing can leave you with anxiety/depression that you can't even imagine. And if it means having to pay an additional $100K to be away from that type of living situation (especially when in a professional program like vet school that is already stressful enough), I would say it is worth it. And I don't normally say leaving your IS for OOS is worth it.

I don't know if @Cometbt 's IS was far enough away that she could have been ok going to her IS and not having the chance of having that family drama land on her doorstep or not. If it were, I would have probably said to stick with the IS. However, I can easily see how having that kind of living situation would make it well worth the extra OOS fees. There is no guarantee that the family drama will disappear with her being OOS, but the chance of it literally being on her doorstep vs over the phone is greatly decreased.

I know my opinion on this is probably not going to be the popular one and some may disagree, but having a somewhat similar experience to what Cometbt is currently dealing with, I don't see her picking OOS as "holy hell what were you thinking??" as I would normally think for those who are just "not feeling" their IS.

Reactions: 4 users
I know the "beat the dead horse" has been posted, but I am going to have something different to say actually...

I am normally 1000% on the "go the cheapest route" bandwagon. I really, really do think that there are only a few, rare circumstances in which paying OOS tuition is a better option than paying IS tuition. Now maybe it is because I read @Cometbt 's post in the "rant here" thread and had very vivid flashbacks to being locked in my bedroom with my older sister banging on the door yelling threatening things at me, cursing at me, threatening to come after me and I can kind of relate a bit. Granted I was very lucky in that my family would back ME up every time we sent went ape **** crazy like that and if I was ever home alone with her and needed to call the cops, my parents backed that up too. I can't imagine how much different it would have been had my parents not been willing to back me up like that. Granted all of this happened back as I was leaving for/in undergrad and moving 2 hours away was far enough away to be out of the drama. I don't know how far away from home @Cometbt 's IS vet school is, but if it is anywhere close where the drama can land in her "doorstep"... giving away your left arm would be worth it to not have to deal with it.. I'd have found a way to come up with a billion dollars if it meant I could be rid of that situation. You don't realize how much of an impact that has on a person and how incredibly terrifying it is to be in the middle of that. I am seriously in tears at the moment thinking back on how horrible life was during that time with my sister around and that was around 8-10 years ago, yet I can recall it and the pain as if it were yesterday. That type of thing can leave you with anxiety/depression that you can't even imagine. And if it means having to pay an additional $100K to be away from that type of living situation (especially when in a professional program like vet school that is already stressful enough), I would say it is worth it. And I don't normally say leaving your IS for OOS is worth it.

I don't know if @Cometbt 's IS was far enough away that she could have been ok going to her IS and not having the chance of having that family drama land on her doorstep or not. If it were, I would have probably said to stick with the IS. However, I can easily see how having that kind of living situation would make it well worth the extra OOS fees. There is no guarantee that the family drama will disappear with her being OOS, but the chance of it literally being on her doorstep vs over the phone is greatly decreased.

I know my opinion on this is probably not going to be the popular one and some may disagree, but having a somewhat similar experience to what Cometbt is currently dealing with, I don't see her picking OOS as "holy hell what were you thinking??" as I would normally think for those who are just "not feeling" their IS.
I can agree to a certain extent. I absolutely think the things she posted in rant thread are frightening and abusive. I also think that simply moving to another state doesn't necessarily address the problem and there are many things that can happen while she's in the same state to protect herself.
so while I understand not wanting to be around family drama, I also think you aren't forced to interact with family just by being in the same state.

I can agree to a certain extent. I absolutely think the things she posted in rant thread are frightening and abusive. I also think that simply moving to another state doesn't necessarily address the problem and there are many things that can happen while she's in the same state to protect herself.
so while I understand not wanting to be around family drama, I also think you aren't forced to interact with family just by being in the same state.

I definitely agree, moving doesn't address the problem, but it makes the direct physical threat go away. The drama will still be there unfortunately she can't force her parents to deal with it.

Yes, there are things that can be done while staying in that same state to protect herself but there is no guarantee they work. And without her parents support, they might not work. Things like restraining orders only do so much. Calling the cops when he is being abusive will only work if your parents support that decision and don't just bail him out.

And being forced to interact with family will just depend on if her brother is crazy enough to show up where she is living unannounced. Or if she's back in town to work and he finds out and shows up there. My sister showed up to my place of work many times. There really isn't anything you can do to prevent someone randomly showing up wherever you are, you can try though. And hopefully he isn't that desperate.

It is definitely a giant mess to deal with and staying IS may have worked out but also could easily not. However going OOS won't make it disappear either, just makes it less likely her brother randomly shows up in person.

It's a ****ty situation with no clear right or wrong way to go about dealing with it.

I definitely agree, moving doesn't address the problem, but it makes the direct physical threat go away. The drama will still be there unfortunately she can't force her parents to deal with it.

Yes, there are things that can be done while staying in that same state to protect herself but there is no guarantee they work. And without her parents support, they might not work. Things like restraining orders only do so much. Calling the cops when he is being abusive will only work if your parents support that decision and don't just bail him out.

And being forced to interact with family will just depend on if her brother is crazy enough to show up where she is living unannounced. Or if she's back in town to work and he finds out and shows up there. My sister showed up to my place of work many times. There really isn't anything you can do to prevent someone randomly showing up wherever you are, you can try though. And hopefully he isn't that desperate.

It is definitely a giant mess to deal with and staying IS may have worked out but also could easily not. However going OOS won't make it disappear either, just makes it less likely her brother randomly shows up in person.

It's a ****ty situation with no clear right or wrong way to go about dealing with it.
Agreed. I personally wouldn't give my address to family in that situation. It seems as if, based on what she said, her parents are enabling the situation. I would address that before anything else.

But then here's the question. These things didn't happen overnight. Why even apply in-state? Why not find several decently priced out of state options and apply there? MN is a great school, but is literally one of the most expensive OOS options.

Agreed. I personally wouldn't give my address to family in that situation. It seems as if, based on what she said, her parents are enabling the situation. I would address that before anything else.

But then here's the question. These things didn't happen overnight. Why even apply in-state? Why not find several decently priced out of state options and apply there? MN is a great school, but is literally one of the most expensive OOS options.

Yeah, doesn't happen overnight but I don't know the rest of the story there. This could have been developing over the months she was gone to school. Don't know. And hindsight tends to be 20/20.

Definitely agree on the address thing, but you have to be willing to basically cut ties with all family at that point and that isn't easy to do. It needs to be done though.

Sigh. I really meant it when I said I didn't want to post anymore on the matter but I need to address a few things about the discussion of my personal life: @DVMDream thank you for putting yourself in my shoes to understand a bit more about the situation. I really really appreciate the effort. And I'm sorry that my experience is relatable to yours. I wish no one else had to go through junk like this. This kind of stuff is impossible I understand unless you've been there.

@dyachei I am getting really uncomfortable with how the discussion is going because it is feeling like you are deciding whether or not my home life is bad enough to be a reason for making my decision. Maybe that's not what you meant but that's how it feels so I would appreciate it if you would private message me if you want to discuss this further or clarify what you meant. You don't know me. I don't know any of you. All anyone on here has seen is a very small snapshot of my life, not enough to really know anything about me. No one else can understand 100% what I am feeling and my motivations for wanting to leave. Abusive situations are so complicated and I don't want anyone making assumptions or judgements about what my life is like. And this is only part of the reason I picked Minnesota. I chose this school based on many academic and non academic factors that I would be more than happy to discuss over private message. But you know what? That doesn't matter. I could've said that my reasons for picking one school over the other were because I liked one school's colors better and it still wouldn't give anyone the right to debate whether or not my decision is right for ME. My choice impacts me and no one else. I only posted here to give an honest answer about MY situation to a valid question, not to start a fight. So please, as one future vet student to other past, present, or future vet students, do me the courtesy of sending me a private message if anyone wants to talk about this more. I think everyone on here is probably tired of seeing us fight :(

I'm not forcing you to respond.
Sigh. I really meant it when I said I didn't want to post anymore on the matter but I need to address a few things about the discussion of my personal life: @DVMDream thank you for putting yourself in my shoes to understand a bit more about the situation. I really really appreciate the effort. And I'm sorry that my experience is relatable to yours. I wish no one else had to go through junk like this. This kind of stuff is impossible I understand unless you've been there.

@dyachei I am getting really uncomfortable with how the discussion is going because it is feeling like you are deciding whether or not my home life is bad enough to be a reason for making my decision. Maybe that's not what you meant but that's how it feels so I would appreciate it if you would private message me if you want to discuss this further or clarify what you meant. You don't know me. I don't know any of you. All anyone on here has seen is a very small snapshot of my life, not enough to really know anything about me. No one else can understand 100% what I am feeling and my motivations for wanting to leave. Abusive situations are so complicated and I don't want anyone making assumptions or judgements about what my life is like. And this is only part of the reason I picked Minnesota. I chose this school based on many academic and non academic factors that I would be more than happy to discuss over private message. But you know what? That doesn't matter. I could've said that my reasons for picking one school over the other were because I liked one school's colors better and it still wouldn't give anyone the right to debate whether or not my decision is right for ME. My choice impacts me and no one else. I only posted here to give an honest answer about MY situation to a valid question, not to start a fight. So please, as one future vet student to other past, present, or future vet students, do me the courtesy of sending me a private message if anyone wants to talk about this more. I think everyone on here is probably tired of seeing us fight :(
Nor am I judging you. I do think that what you initially said was a little misleading:

There's a couple of reasons for me. I did my undergrad here and I just don't feel like I'm happy with the program anymore. There's nothing necessarily wrong with it, and I have a lot of friends that have had great experiences at the vet school, but it's not for me. Partly I think I've just lived in Michigan my whole life (and I do love this state) but I needed a change. I don't have a great home life and it's been extra terrible lately so I'm really looking forward to getting far away from here. I decided on Minnesota for school and I just absolutely loved it. Loved the atmosphere. Loved the study abroad and extracurricular opportunities.

If you had said "I don't feel safe at home" and left it at that (or even added the rest later), nothing more would have been said. Instead, you gave reasons for not liking the program, for liking MN's program more, and wanting to get away because you've lived in MI your whole life.

Maybe if you see it from a different perspective, you can see why this topic came up.

Anyway, I'm not judging you - sorry if you felt I was. I don't live your life or feel what you feel. I do have a brother with similar issues and I think if I were in the situation, I would do things differently. But that doesn't mean my way is right and your way is wrong or vice versa. It just means I would consider other options, knowing what I know now. I graduated with under $150k in debt from vet school. It's a terrible pressure that hangs over you continually. I would hate for any vet student to be able to avoid some of that without seriously considering it. Nor are @DVMDream and I fighting. A disagreement doesn't have to be a fight.