Michigan State c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm planning on submitting sometime later this week. Still have an ELOR to submit and some essays to edit. Do I have to wait until my transcript is verified to submit
My understanding is that they need to have all the materials received by the deadline. Once you submit then they go through and make sure everything you entered on the application is kosher. After they verified everything (it can take up to a couple weeks) then they send the complete application to your school. The bad news is if they catch mistakes then you have to go back and edit, then they re-verify.This just takes time and means that the veterinary school will get the application later.

I am also planning on submitting tomorrow. Where else are people applying?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that they need to have all the materials received by the deadline. Once you submit then they go through and make sure everything you entered on the application is kosher. After they verified everything (it can take up to a couple weeks) then they send the complete application to your school. The bad news is if they catch mistakes then you have to go back and edit, then they re-verify.This just takes time and means that the veterinary school will get the application later.

I talked to them today and she said i can submit w.o the transcripts being verified first.

Reactions: 1 user

I was told when I called that the school can see you application as soon as you submit, even before they verify.

I'm submitting soon and they haven't even received my transcript yet (any day now. urgh.)

I'm not applying anywhere else. I got one shot this cycle. I wouldn't go anywhere else if I was accepted this year anyways though. I'd rather apply again than pay OOS tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm submitting soon and they haven't even received my transcript yet (any day now. urgh.)

In the same boat! I submitted literally the SECOND I got my grade from my summer class back (an A in biochem, so I reallyyyy want them to see that), but that was just Friday, so even though my application is all set... still gotta wait.

In the same boat! I submitted literally the SECOND I got my grade from my summer class back (an A in biochem, so I reallyyyy want them to see that), but that was just Friday, so even though my application is all set... still gotta wait.

They don't have yours yet either? When did you finally get it ordered/mailed?

Always nice to not be the only one.

I ordered mine past monday. Expressed mailed it but I dont know how long processing at my school took. Planning to call and see when they actually sent it.

My summer classes were actually done a while back but my school gave me a hassle and I had to argue with them for a couple weeks until they would take my money and let me order the transcript.

I'm getting my app looked over for errors (by my reluctant mother) and then I think I'm going to submit because it was recommended I do so even though they don't have the transcript yet.

I was told when I called that the school can see you application as soon as you submit, even before they verify.

I'm not applying anywhere else. I got one shot this cycle. I wouldn't go anywhere else if I was accepted this year anyways though. I'd rather apply again than pay OOS tuition.

I am only applying to MSU as well. Makes me glad I am not the only one. I feel like I am putting all of my eggs in one basket. :nailbiting:

They don't have yours yet either? When did you finally get it ordered/mailed?

Always nice to not be the only one.

I ordered mine past monday. Expressed mailed it but I dont know how long processing at my school took. Planning to call and see when they actually sent it.

My summer classes were actually done a while back but my school gave me a hassle and I had to argue with them for a couple weeks until they would take my money and let me order the transcript.

I'm getting my app looked over for errors (by my reluctant mother) and then I think I'm going to submit because it was recommended I do so even though they don't have the transcript yet.

I ordered it Friday morning literally the hour my grade was posted. I go to school in Boston, so it's only being shipped to the next town over. I bet you anything they have it, but just haven't matched it to my name yet. I called VMCAS this morning and they suggested I submit today to get the process started because they'll have my transcript by the time they verify me since right now the turnaround is about 2 weeks and will go up the closer to the deadline we wait. Currently in the process of proofreading by myself and a reluctant mother too ;)

I ordered it Friday morning literally the hour my grade was posted. I go to school in Boston, so it's only being shipped to the next town over. I bet you anything they have it, but just haven't matched it to my name yet. I called VMCAS this morning and they suggested I submit today to get the process started because they'll have my transcript by the time they verify me since right now the turnaround is about 2 weeks and will go up the closer to the deadline we wait. Currently in the process of proofreading by myself and a reluctant mother too ;)

I thought they don't even put you in line for verification until they get it though?

I have a couple of minor changes to make tomorrow and then submitting.

I would also bet that my transcript has arrived by now since I express mailed it but they probably just haven't matched it up yet or whatever it is they do.

Im only applying to MSU. I honestly do not want to go anywhere else. I have been meeting with an advisor there for the past five years all leading up to this point. MSU has a huge orthopedic caseload carried by decorated faculty (ortho is obviously my interest). Looking at the stats from the c/o 2019, I feel like my application will be competitive. But, I do feel a bit strange only applying to one school. I guess its good to know what you want right?!? Not to mention, it is my IS and I really want my family to be apart of this experience, so keeping them close is a huge plus!

I don't think it's strange! My vet just applied to one school and I have a guy friend who is just applying to his in state.

Just a heads up for everyone whose submitted their application and waiting to hear back from MSU. From talking to the councilors in the past, they explained that because of the number of applicants that VMCAS gets and has to verify at a given time, it may take some time after your're marked Verified before MSU actually gets your application. The example I was given was if VMCAS takes about 2 weeks from your submission to verify you, it may take another 2 weeks before MSU gets it on their end to get things ready to send out the supplemental application.

Figured this would be good to bring up so everyone isn't glued to their inbox for weeks on end. Once you submit your application, take a breath, look at some cute kitty pictures, and try not to get too stressed.

Just a heads up for everyone whose submitted their application and waiting to hear back from MSU. From talking to the councilors in the past, they explained that because of the number of applicants that VMCAS gets and has to verify at a given time, it may take some time after your're marked Verified before MSU actually gets your application. The example I was given was if VMCAS takes about 2 weeks from your submission to verify you, it may take another 2 weeks before MSU gets it on their end to get things ready to send out the supplemental application.

Figured this would be good to bring up so everyone isn't glued to their inbox for weeks on end. Once you submit your application, take a breath, look at some cute kitty pictures, and try not to get too stressed.

Thank you for the heads up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, they received my transcript!

I guess I have no more reasons to delay submitting this thing. Still incredibly nervous to do so but I guess it's time.

YAY!!!!! I am super nervous to hit that submit button!! Ill be right there with you later today :)

YAY!!!!! I am super nervous to hit that submit button!! Ill be right there with you later today :)

It is done. Paid for and submitted.
Now I just have to wait for verification.
It shall be a stressful wait.

Normally I would handle this stress by cuddling my puppies but my vet told me today that I can't cuddle my puppies because they may have a mild respiratory infection. They 're very calm puppies and she's concerned they won't show signs of discomfort when being held so we have to limit handling to be on the safe side. No puppy cuddles for me. :(

Normally I would handle this stress by cuddling my puppies but my vet told me today that I can't cuddle my puppies because they may have a mild respiratory infection. They 're very calm puppies and she's concerned they won't show signs of discomfort when being held so we have to limit handling to be on the safe side. No puppy cuddles for me. :(
Yay! Im more nervous about vmcas saying I need to fix something after waiting a while to be verified. Meh.. I'm just ready to focus on the semester besides this app. The stress is pouring into my school work :/

Yay! Im more nervous about vmcas saying I need to fix something after waiting a while to be verified. Meh.. I'm just ready to focus on the semester besides this app. The stress is pouring into my school work :/

I'm worried about not being verified in time to fix things.

And my program status says its "awaiting" materials right now which it shouldn't as far as I know. I asked on the general 2020 applicants thread to find out whether I should call now or wait a little bit and see if it updates before I call. Because to be fair I did just get the email about my transcript less than hour ago so I don't know. *sigh*

It never ends! But I agree, I'm ready to stop worrying about this application and get back to life as usual. ;)

I'm worried about not being verified in time to fix things.

And my program status says its "awaiting" materials right now which it shouldn't as far as I know. I asked on the general 2020 applicants thread to find out whether I should call now or wait a little bit and see if it updates before I call. Because to be fair I did just get the email about my transcript less than hour ago so I don't know. *sigh*

It never ends! But I agree, I'm ready to stop worrying about this application and get back to life as usual. ;)
I got the email about my transcripts too and I had to send 5.. sheesh.. my wallet is bleeding from the application attack!!

I have experienced few things as nerve-racking as hitting that "submit" button! Holy cats, its done!!!!!! :biglove: :highfive:
Now we wait. And wait. And worry. And wait.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on submitting you guys!! I am getting close!

I thought they don't even put you in line for verification until they get it though?

I have a couple of minor changes to make tomorrow and then submitting.

I would also bet that my transcript has arrived by now since I express mailed it but they probably just haven't matched it up yet or whatever it is they do.

Well I'll be in line right away because they do have an old transcript (true as of June), but they should have the new one by the time they get to me in the queue... at least that's what they said over the phone.

Well I'll be in line right away because they do have an old transcript (true as of June), but they should have the new one by the time they get to me in the queue... at least that's what they said over the phone.

Ah, I see.
They had no transcript for me, so I wouldn't have actually been in line for verification. I am now though! And kinda hoping it isn't too crazy busy yet so that I'll hear back on it sooner rather than later.

Ah, I see.
They had no transcript for me, so I wouldn't have actually been in line for verification. I am now though! And kinda hoping it isn't too crazy busy yet so that I'll hear back on it sooner rather than later.

Any second now they'll get my transcript I'm sure. My mom finished her proof reading and I'm currently finishing mine but working reaaaaallyyy slowly because once I'm done I no longer have a reason not to hit that damn "Pay and Submit" button that is looming at me....

Any second now they'll get my transcript I'm sure. My mom finished her proof reading and I'm currently finishing mine but working reaaaaallyyy slowly because once I'm done I no longer have a reason not to hit that damn "Pay and Submit" button that is looming at me....

For such a small button it's very intimidating ;)

Hello fellow applicants! Question for you guys: for anyone that has multiple experiences at the same place, how are you recording it in your experience section? For example, at an internship I got both research and animal experience and I'm not sure how to record it. Right now, I have them separate because I don't want the research to get lost (since I know that a lot of schools look for this experience) but I thought I read somewhere not to have more than one section/experience. Any ideas?

Hello fellow applicants! Question for you guys: for anyone that has multiple experiences at the same place, how are you recording it in your experience section? For example, at an internship I got both research and animal experience and I'm not sure how to record it. Right now, I have them separate because I don't want the research to get lost (since I know that a lot of schools look for this experience) but I thought I read somewhere not to have more than one section/experience. Any ideas?

Was the focus more animal experience with some research or was it research with animals? It is really up to you where you put it. If it is your only research experience... I would opt for putting it under research.

Was the focus more animal experience with some research or was it research with animals? It is really up to you where you put it. If it is your only research experience... I would opt for putting it under research.
It was an internship working with animals where I did a side research project with them. Right now, I have one section for the research I did and one section for the other animal experience I got. Both the research and the animal experience were pretty unique, so I don't want to have to cut one down if possible.

It was an internship working with animals where I did a side research project with them. Right now, I have one section for the research I did and one section for the other animal experience I got. Both the research and the animal experience were pretty unique, so I don't want to have to cut one down if possible.

Then keep them separate. The experience section is really open to your interpretation on how you wish to classify things. I wouldn't worry about it and just do what you feel is right :)

Supplemental is submitted!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I would just like to state... compared to other schools "C/O 2020" threads.... we are by far the most chatty! Pretty sure its because most michiganders are quite friendly :)

Go us!!! Looking forward to ALL of us getting called for interviews! :clap:

Reactions: 2 users
I would just like to state... compared to other schools "C/O 2020" threads.... we are by far the most chatty! Pretty sure its because most michiganders are quite friendly :)

Go us!!! Looking forward to ALL of us getting called for interviews! :clap:

I sure hope so!
I wonder how they determine who gets to interview.

You are on top of it!! When was your application verified? Curious how long it took from verification to receiving your supplemental?
I had my VMCAS application verified August 17th, heard from MSU the next day regarding potentially receiving a link for the supplemental pending my SIS, got that email August 24th, and it was due on September 1st. They don't give you much time to fill it out clearly.

Pretty sure it is a combination of a competitive SIS score + the points added from the file review/ supplemental application
Omgsh i hope so.. my sis score os pretty low bc of my gre. Sheesh.. i was told if you have great ELORS, it will help bump up that score.

Omgsh i hope so.. my sis score os pretty low bc of my gre. Sheesh.. i was told if you have great ELORS, it will help bump up that score.

In order to receive the supplemental application you have to have a SIS score at or above 790. So, if you have that then you will be able to move forward and possibly gain additional points :)

Pretty sure it is a combination of a competitive SIS score + the points added from the file review/ supplemental application
Not sure if this has changed, but last year the interviews were only based off of your base SIS score (must be 790+) without any of the bonus points added. The supplemental essay points are then added along with your interview score to determine the final SIS score and admitted applicants.

Not sure if this has changed, but last year the interviews were only based off of your base SIS score (must be 790+) without any of the bonus points added. The supplemental essay points are then added along with your interview score to determine the final SIS score and admitted applicants.

I would be curious to know... I am going to call Tuesday. It just seems as though, if they interviewed everyone with an SIS score above 790 (prior to the supplemental/ file review points) they would 1. be interviewing a TON of candidates and 2. would send out interview invites when they do the supplemental considering you have to have a 790 just to received that....

Who knows! Ill try to get some answers

I know that I have emailed them before with this question and they told me that if you do not have at least a 790 SIS score, do not fill out the supplemental. So I'm assuming just because you have been sent a supplemental app, does not necessarily mean you will be granted an interview.

I know that I have emailed them before with this question and they told me that if you do not have at least a 790 SIS score, do not fill out the supplemental. So I'm assuming just because you have been sent a supplemental app, does not necessarily mean you will be granted an interview.

Right, which would indicate other factors aside from a 790 SIS score go into qualifying you for a interview... I would be curious to know how many applicants get interviewed and of those how many get accepted (on average).

What was on the supplement? Were there a lot of difficult essays?

What was on the supplement? Were there a lot of difficult essays?
Questions ranged from vet/animal experience, research experience, food animal experience, and socioeconomic and cultural experiences. The hardest part though was probably answering all parts of the questions in the 900 characters max. Good luck to everyone else as they fill out their supplemental!

Questions ranged from vet/animal experience, research experience, food animal experience, and socioeconomic and cultural experiences. The hardest part though was probably answering all parts of the questions in the 900 characters max. Good luck to everyone else as they fill out their supplemental!

oh wow that's a lot :(

I would be curious to know... I am going to call Tuesday. It just seems as though, if they interviewed everyone with an SIS score above 790 (prior to the supplemental/ file review points) they would 1. be interviewing a TON of candidates and 2. would send out interview invites when they do the supplemental considering you have to have a 790 just to received that....

Last year (the first time they've done interviews in a long time) they had the some of the highest numbers of interviews out of any school. It was kind of crazy. There were so many interviews to sort through that most of us didn't hear back until mid/late March whether or not we got in.

So I'm pretty sure they had around 400 interviewees last year, and Felix can correct me if I'm wrong there! I had a hard time believing it was anyone above 790 that got interviewed but I think that's definitely true. They seemed pretty organized about the entire thing honestly so I wouldn't be too stressed about those numbers.

Last edited:
Hmmm....having dealt with the admissions staff for years, I'd roll my eyes at this one. It's possible they've made some changes from last year, but this school is notorious for saying things like that. One admissions counselor in particular has a rather bad reputation on campus for just, in general, telling most pre-vets they have no shot. I was told to stop taking pre-reqs and do something else. Here I am, in vet school.

I think my SIS was ~820 or so (I can't remember, and partially because I blocked it out), and I was interviewed (IS school). I wanna say that for 900 applicants, 400 were interviewed. Probably 200ish (IS and OOS) were offered admission. Maybe less. Last year, they did not consider experience or anything but academics when granting interviews.
Last year (the first time they've done interviews in a long time) they had the some of the highest numbers of interviews out of any school. It was kind of crazy. There were so many interviews to sort through that most of us didn't hear back until mid/late March whether or not we got in.
Yeah :yeahright: I was sitting on an OOS acceptance for a month before MSU had the time to tell me I wasn't even waitlisted, lol.

Everyone with an SIS of 790+ gets the supplemental. Provided they haven't changed this from last year, the supplemental only yields you more points if you are considered 'exceptional' in one of the essay areas, and those points come in when they're making final decisions. Most accepted students have a high SIS without any points from the supplemental. The assistant dean of admissions told me that actually, only a very small handful of students get supplemental points each year. When they say exceptional in a category, they mean it.

TBH, the 2019 class stats seem pretty low when compared to previous years, which of course they've now taken down (not trying to offend anyone in that class). If anyone is genuinely curious, I can dig up my old file reviews. Their version of a file review is sending you a pdf that compares your stats to the average stats of the selected pool. However, the interview may have ended up becoming a bigger portion of admissions decisions than they originally led on.

Interview invites probably won't go out with the supplemental because it's another way to narrow down who actually wants to apply, who was late on the supplemental, etc.

It is available when I typed it into google. MSU CVM are redoing their website, but it's available now I believe. You are right though, the points are about .2-.3 off GPA wise! GRE scores remained the same though, and the number of people who they classified as having unique experiences went up too.

It is available when I typed it into google. MSU CVM are redoing their website, but it's available now I believe. You are right though, the points are about .2-.3 off GPA wise! GRE scores remained the same though, and the number of people who they classified as having unique experiences went up too.
I tried the googling but it brought me to a dead page. It did the same thing when I googled their zoo residency, which gave me a heart attack! Hopefully they start valuing those interviews more. Mine didn't go so well (I was so, so nervous), but I know everyone will rock them this year ;)