Michigan State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUcvmHOPE

Michigan State CVM c/o 2023
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't wait for anyone else to start it.
The VMCAS is open and I want to be able to chat with my fellow MSU hopefuls!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if I should start this or if someone else was going to.

Hey there to you and everyone else who will show up.

I'm a 2nd time applicant (IS). I was waitlisted last year, hoping for a bit better luck this time around. ;)

Couldn't wait for anyone else to start it.
The VMCAS is open and I want to be able to chat with my fellow MSU hopefuls!

Darn! Kinda wanted you to be hopeful for the other MSU ;)

I actually started a lot of the threads for schools i was interested in the day VMCAS opened. May take some time for posters to show up but as the cycle goes on, they will come pouring in. Best of luck! Don't hesitate to message if you need anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
following!

Michigan State is my quasi in state school. I grew up in michigan / went to umich for undergrad but now live in Maine. I talked to MSU and they said that since I graduated high school in michigan and my parents still live there (even though i'm not a dependent) they will consider me in state after i've lived in michigan for a year. So basically it wont help me get in, and the first year will be OOS tuition but after that I'd be paying IS tuition. better than nothing!

Anyone have any suggestions for which 3 letters of mine for MSU to read?

I have 4 evaluators total and I think I will def elect these two:

1. Large animal vet that I've done the majority of my shadowing with.
2. DVM/Ph.D where I did about 600 hours of research in his medical research lab.

I'm not sure about the 3rd person to elect:
3. Biology professor who I took Cell & Molecular biology with (received an A). Also my advisor. I don't know him SUPER well but he seems to be really excited about writing my letter and keeps on saying how he's really good at writing strong letters of rec.

4. CEO of company I've been working at for the past 5 years (I'm a nontraditional student and have been working as a software developer). He will write me a very strong letter, but I worry that it wont really matter that much to them because he isn't in a science/vet field.

I'm kind of leaning towards biology professor since its an academic evaluator even though I've only known him for about 1.5 years and only taken one class with him. any thoughts?

2. DVM/Ph.D where I did about 600 hours of research in his medical research lab.

3. Biology professor who I took Cell & Molecular biology with (received an A). Also my advisor. I don't know him SUPER well but he seems to be really excited about writing my letter and keeps on saying how he's really good at writing strong letters of rec.

4. CEO of company I've been working at for the past 5 years (I'm a nontraditional student and have been working as a software developer). He will write me a very strong letter, but I worry that it wont really matter that much to them because he isn't in a science/vet field.

I'm kind of leaning towards biology professor since its an academic evaluator even though I've only known him for about 1.5 years and only taken one class with him. any thoughts?

Either is fine, but I would go with the CEO because it sounds like he knows you better and will write a better letter.

Darn! Kinda wanted you to be hopeful for the other MSU ;)

I actually started a lot of the threads for schools i was interested in the day VMCAS opened. May take some time for posters to show up but as the cycle goes on, they will come pouring in. Best of luck! Don't hesitate to message if you need anything.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

I would go with the CEO letter as well since you guarantee they know you and will give you the strongest letter.

I pretty much am dead set on MSU, but I will be applying to Illinois for sure and maybe two others (probably Virginia-Maryland and Colorado).
I got my BS in 2014 and didn't think I could actually have a chance at being a vet until mid junior year. So my grades were not the greatest. Have been retaking prereqs with MSU in mind, so my other school options have to reflect those prereqs.

Applying here! What is the area like current students? I'm OOS.

Wowwwww, to think I will be a third year by the time you guys enter haha! Let us know if you have Q's.

How is everyone doing as far as applications, etc? Just thought I'd check in. ;)
Hey, slow and steady for me. I'm currently taking four summer classes to bump those pre-reqs up and working at a local pet store part-time so I have been pretty busy. But even though it has really only been open for just over a month I still feel like time is going by too fast. :eek:
I've got my transcripts up to date but going to request brand new student ones to double check when I request the ones for VMCAS, got most of my experiences logged, and sending out eLOR requests this month. I have like five different drafts of personal statements/ideas I started before VMCAS opened and haven't been able to touch them since. (Going to also find time for that soon, hopefully!) Oh and I still want to shadow a different vet, which I have yet to work on...and schedule another advising appointment with MSU CVM...and take the GRE again...
Am I on track or behind? lol
How about yourself?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, slow and steady for me. I'm currently taking four summer classes to bump those pre-reqs up and working at a local pet store part-time so I have been pretty busy. But even though it has really only been open for just over a month I still feel like time is going by too fast. :eek:
I've got my transcripts up to date but going to request brand new student ones to double check when I request the ones for VMCAS, got most of my experiences logged, and sending out eLOR requests this month. I have like five different drafts of personal statements/ideas I started before VMCAS opened and haven't been able to touch them since. (Going to also find time for that soon, hopefully!) Oh and I still want to shadow a different vet, which I have yet to work on...and schedule another advising appointment with MSU CVM...and take the GRE again...
Am I on track or behind? lol
How about yourself?
Ditto for the summer courses and that darn GRE.....best of luck - although we are seriously grinding this summer it WILL pay off! WE GOT THIS!

I won't know what to do with myself once this application and classes are done. lol
YES! Already super stoked because I got 4.0's in all four classes I took this last winter semester. (Didn't think that was actually possible)
Good luck to you as well!

I won't know what to do with myself once this application and classes are done. lol
YES! Already super stoked because I got 4.0's in all four classes I took this last winter semester. (Didn't think that was actually possible)
Good luck to you as well!
Ditto! Represent for the IS - thats a huge advantage for you! Im applying OOS, so lets hope that will be just as impactful.....what would be REALLY great is to nail the GRE...than no reason not to except us ;)

How is everyone doing as far as applications, etc? Just thought I'd check in. ;)

on target I guess? I'm taking an animal nutrition course through OK state right now (as well as working full time and shadowing a LA vet once a week and a SA vet on saturday) so I've been spending less time on the app, but I already have all my transcript/experience stuff filled in. I sat down last night and did rough drafts of the MSU questions they want us to answer. Hopefully I'm finishing the animal nutrition course mid july, and I'll have more time to revise my personal statement + all the supplemental questions we have to answer.

Applying here! What is the area like current students? I'm OOS.
It's just your regular college town. There are a lot of good local restaurants and bars. Potter Park Zoo is really cute and right next to campus. There's a mall five minutes down the street in Okemos.

Are you taking animal nutrition because you plan on applying to other schools that require it?

Mostly because msu requires it. I think there is at least one other school I'm applying to that wanted it as well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Mostly because msu requires it. I think there is at least one other school I'm applying to that wanted it as well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

MSU will accept human nutrition, but if you had to take it for another school anyways then I'm sure it'll be helpful!

MSU will accept human nutrition, but if you had to take it for another school anyways then I'm sure it'll be helpful!

I'm a nontraditional postbac student, so for me taking animal nutrition at OK state was actually cheaper than taking human nutrition at my local university where i'm taking my postbac courses. Also since its not in person I can do the class at my own schedule which is nice. Mostly its the money though :)

The stats for the class of 2020 are up on the CVM website in case anyone didn't notice and was curious.

How are y'all coming along?

I've got 1/3 eLORs submitted at this point. Have checked in on both my others and I believe they'll get theirs in before the deadline I gave them. I plan to submit shortly after that. I know I can technically submit before my eLORs are submitted but since I only put in 3... I'd like to make sure they're in first. PS is in decent shape but I'm going to tweak it a little bit more. Other than I'm just going through the tedious process of putting in all my experiences. Slow and steady, but I think I'll still end up submitting early than last year when I had a transcript fiasco.

The stats for the class of 2020 are up on the CVM website in case anyone didn't notice and was curious.

How are y'all coming along?

I've got 1/3 eLORs submitted at this point. Have checked in on both my others and I believe they'll get theirs in before the deadline I gave them. I plan to submit shortly after that. I know I can technically submit before my eLORs are submitted but since I only put in 3... I'd like to make sure they're in first. PS is in decent shape but I'm going to tweak it a little bit more. Other than I'm just going through the tedious process of putting in all my experiences. Slow and steady, but I think I'll still end up submitting early than last year when I had a transcript fiasco.

Where do you see the previous years stats? I can't find it on the website. I was also wondering if anyone knew what a solid SIS score is? I know the minimum, but mine will likely be around 900ish so I was wondering what end of the spectrum it is on.

Thanks!

Where do you see the previous years stats? I can't find it on the website. I was also wondering if anyone knew what a solid SIS score is? I know the minimum, but mine will likely be around 900ish so I was wondering what end of the spectrum it is on.

Thanks!

https://cvm.msu.edu/future-students/dvm/class-of-2020-profile

A 900 is pretty solid. An applicant who had stats matching the averages of the last admitted class would have an 886.

So I am starting to get into panic mode. :eek:
But much more relaxed after hearing you guys are about as far as I am with the app. I have pretty much all of my experiences and transcripts entered. Still need to request to have one of the two sent to VMCAS. I have two letters requested and one already submitted (with flying colors thanks to my awesome genetics prof), and going to hopefully ask for a third next week. My PS has been put on the back burner since the app opened due to taking four summer classes...yeahhh. Planning on doing a lot once I'm done with those.
I had planned to try and shadow an equine vet and get a letter from them, but I still haven't had the time to do so, and don't want to rush a letter from someone new, so I'm going to ask another vet at the clinic I have shadowed at for a long time now. (Think that's ok if both vets are from the same small animal clinic? The one is the medical director.)
I would love to ask a large animal vet that I assisted many times working at a stable, but I had a personal falling out with that stable and would hate for them to have talked down on me to him and to have that reflect in the letter. Otherwise I know he would have written me a great one.
Hope you all aren't entering panic mode too, lol.

My SIS score is coming out to around an 860. I'm hoping I get a few extra points from the essays (although I know it's hard to get those) to help my score get closer to the average. :/

Don't sweat too much about it. I know it's intimidating to look at people's scores when they're higher than yours but an 860 isn't bad and they look at more than just your scholastic indicator score. I'm pretty below average too and I at least managed the waitlist last year. Stay positive! ;)

So I am starting to get into panic mode. :eek:
But much more relaxed after hearing you guys are about as far as I am with the app. I have pretty much all of my experiences and transcripts entered. Still need to request to have one of the two sent to VMCAS. I have two letters requested and one already submitted (with flying colors thanks to my awesome genetics prof), and going to hopefully ask for a third next week. My PS has been put on the back burner since the app opened due to taking four summer classes...yeahhh. Planning on doing a lot once I'm done with those.
I had planned to try and shadow an equine vet and get a letter from them, but I still haven't had the time to do so, and don't want to rush a letter from someone new, so I'm going to ask another vet at the clinic I have shadowed at for a long time now. (Think that's ok if both vets are from the same small animal clinic? The one is the medical director.)
I would love to ask a large animal vet that I assisted many times working at a stable, but I had a personal falling out with that stable and would hate for them to have talked down on me to him and to have that reflect in the letter. Otherwise I know he would have written me a great one.
Hope you all aren't entering panic mode too, lol.

I'm fairly relaxed this year honestly. Benefits of being a 2nd time applicant. :p
I'm sure the stress will set in for me when we enter the waiting period (aka as soon as I submit that app).

I wish I could advise you more on the letters but honestly but I honestly don't know if it matters to have two vets from the same clinic. Have you asked that question on the main c/o 2021 applicants thread? Probably would get more traffic there.

Thanks, yeah I'm just about to do that.

Just got an email that they are reviewing my file and calculating my SIS score. Exciting!

does anyone know how they schedule interviews? do they do them in groups (like IS interviews are in december then OOS interviews are in jan) or is it more like just ranking people and sending out interview invites based on your rank?

Just got an email that they are reviewing my file and calculating my SIS score. Exciting!

does anyone know how they schedule interviews? do they do them in groups (like IS interviews are in december then OOS interviews are in jan) or is it more like just ranking people and sending out interview invites based on your rank?

Congrats!! When did you submit yours? I am just finishing up edits the last short essay, and submitting mine today!

Congrats!! When did you submit yours? I am just finishing up edits the last short essay, and submitting mine today!

I submitted mine on the 19th, but just got verified yesterday

Last year, all IS and like the top 10% of OOS were in Dec-early Jan and the rest of the OOS were late Jan-Feb.

Last year, all IS and like the top 10% of OOS were in Dec-early Jan and the rest of the OOS were late Jan-Feb.
Based on last year, when did they send out invites for interviews? I'm getting ready to submit my app, and would like to start scheduling my stress days now...o_O

Based on last year, when did they send out invites for interviews? I'm getting ready to submit my app, and would like to start scheduling my stress days now...o_O

Last year was a little different. The supplemental was separate rather than being attached to VMCAS so the first thing that happened was people with a qualifying SIS score being sent supplemental and then we waited for interview invites. So last year I received the supplemental 9/29 and an interview invite (IS) 11/20. Since our supplementals are already attached to the application I'm guessing we might hear back about interviews a little sooner this year.

I also heard on 11/20 for the earlier interviews (OOS). I can't remember when other OOSers heard about the later interview weekends though.

I also heard on 11/20 for the earlier interviews (OOS). I can't remember when other OOSers heard about the later interview weekends though.

I received an email from MSU that: Interview dates are scheduled for December 9, January 6 & 9, and February 3.

I received an email from MSU that: Interview dates are scheduled for December 9, January 6 & 9, and February 3.
Thanks rodeomarie - those couple of months are going to feel like ETERNITY.

I didn't realize that the MSU section on VMCAS was THE supplemental - I was thinking there would be an additional supplemental they sent like in years prior! I like getting it over with with the rest of the app!

Thanks rodeomarie - those couple of months are going to feel like ETERNITY.

I didn't realize that the MSU section on VMCAS was THE supplemental - I was thinking there would be an additional supplemental they sent like in years prior! I like getting it over with with the rest of the app!
Ditto on both of your points! Best of luck!

So quick question regarding VMCAS. There is somewhere to upload your GRE score reports, but where do we get the score reports? Is there somewhere to download it from in the ETS website? Thanks!

Yeah I just spoke with Donna Grooms last week and was surprised that the few questions were the supplemental app this year. She did say that all IS students will interview between Dec and Jan, and so if you're IS you'll know if you are in by February! They want to offer those from MI that really just want to go to MSU get the opportunity to accept before having to travel to interview with other schools.
She did say to enter the GRE scores you can save that page from ETS myGRE as a PDF and send it in that way.

I'm nervous with my application since I took summer courses that I have to wait for transcripts on and they don't send out till hopefully today. But I have all my eLORs in and just have to have a few people look over my essays before I'm ready to submit. Time is going by so fast!

They want to offer those from MI that really just want to go to MSU get the opportunity to accept before having to travel to interview with other schools.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this asked before, but for the life of me cannot remember the answer - can they tell if you've applied to other programs through VMCAS? Or in my case, can they see that you've only applied to theirs?

Also, RE: time going fast; it feels like I'm on a bullet train to the center of the sun right now. I can't believe classes are starting ALREADY again tomorrow!

I'm pretty sure I've seen this asked before, but for the life of me cannot remember the answer - can they tell if you've applied to other programs through VMCAS? Or in my case, can they see that you've only applied to theirs?

Also, RE: time going fast; it feels like I'm on a bullet train to the center of the sun right now. I can't believe classes are starting ALREADY again tomorrow!

I dont think they see where else you have applied.

I have a question about the personal hardship essay for the supplemental application. I have already submitted my application for other schools but I am waiting to submit MSU's because ETS is still down and I can't upload a copy of my GRE scores. I have rewritten my personal hardship essay about thirty times because I am not sure if I should include it or not. My junior year of college, I was a victim of a sexual assault. In dealing with the medical and legal aftermath, I had to withdraw from classes and move home with my family. However, my main reasoning behind including this in my application is to emphasis how I overcame it. I spent my summer taking close to 20 credit hours, working with a horse rescue and working as a volunteer coordinator at the local humane society. I have also now started a free-self defense class for female college students that is taught once a week on campus by my father (who is a police officer) and a support group for victims of sexual assault. I am only asking because I would like opinions on if this would be an acceptable topic. Up until then, I was fortunate enough to not have faced any significant personal hardships so I am at a loss for what else I could possibly discuss. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have a question about the personal hardship essay for the supplemental application. I have already submitted my application for other schools but I am waiting to submit MSU's because ETS is still down and I can't upload a copy of my GRE scores. I have rewritten my personal hardship essay about thirty times because I am not sure if I should include it or not. My junior year of college, I was a victim of a sexual assault. In dealing with the medical and legal aftermath, I had to withdraw from classes and move home with my family. However, my main reasoning behind including this in my application is to emphasis how I overcame it. I spent my summer taking close to 20 credit hours, working with a horse rescue and working as a volunteer coordinator at the local humane society. I have also now started a free-self defense class for female college students that is taught once a week on campus by my father (who is a police officer) and a support group for victims of sexual assault. I am only asking because I would like opinions on if this would be an acceptable topic. Up until then, I was fortunate enough to not have faced any significant personal hardships so I am at a loss for what else I could possibly discuss. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Im so sorry to hear this, certainly praying for you - you have come so far! This essay is YOUR essay, you spin it how ever you think its applicable to you, so admissions gets a better picture of who you are.