Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear MSU,

Let's get this straight. I love you tons. Always have. I may have to date around over the next year, but don't be too upset. I have to do this in case you don't love me back.

My basement might currently be in blue and maize (darn that previous owner), but I'm totally hot for you. I'm willing to paint it green in your honor and make the entire place my study cavern for the pre-clinical years. Accept me and I will make you proud.

Love,

StudyShy

All right guys and girls! Let this application cycle be the best MSU has ever seen. :luck:

I am a Michigan fan, but I would not mind being a Spartan for the next 4 years. Show your big brother some love!

Members don't see this ad :)
Always need more Michigan fans here! Good luck everyone.

Hey all, this is my first time applying. I just want to make sure I'm understanding the pre-reqs correctly. Do we need TWO semesters of an English AND TWO semesters of a Psychology (or sociology, anthropology, etc etc)? I have currently completed ONE and ONE so I would be short two courses. If it is just one semester of each then that would be great because I won't have to come back to take more courses (I just finished my fourth year).

Also, in regards to extra-currics/volunteering, when we put in all of our hours for the various experiences, how will MSU verify these hours? Like how will they know we aren't just making it up. Is there a list of verifiers that we're supposed to include somewhere?

Thank you very much, appreciate the help !

I did, but the lady said she can't answer questions, I have to make an appointment with an advisor instead.. the next available date for a phone appointment is June 24th or something.. I want my application in first week of June though

You just have to take the class before you matriculate

Yes that was my plan for sure. However, should I put that I'm "planning" on taking it on the AACOMAS transcript online that we fill out? Even though it won't be on my official transcript (from the registrar's office) until the end of June (since we pick classes June 24th)? I hope this makes sense, thanks for help.

Like do I have to wait to pick my classes for September before saying that I plan to take it on the AACOMAS application?

does anyone know where to find the separate LOR forms? or are those provided in the supplemental?

does anyone know where to find the separate LOR forms? or are those provided in the supplemental?

Provided with supplemental...if u want to see how they look, check supplemental app. tread from last year

Members don't see this ad :)
Also...Goood luck to everyone this application process we are waiting and are excited for You...again the best

Only put what shows on your transcript because they will confirm that. Future classes can be updated later and such.

OK that's BIG advice, thanks a lot! So just match up the AACOMAS transcript with my current transcript and send that in?

Can any OOS med. student comment on the financial situation? I would hate to apply, find out I get in, and realize I cannot afford the 75k oos tuition. Past school threads state that the alumni are generous with scholarships, but I want someone who has went through the oos process to comment on this first! Any takers?

MSUCOM is very generous with scholarships and OOS scholarships. There's a perception on SDN that MSUCOM is not very friendly to OOS students. After medical school, however, OOS students on average are ~$7,500 more in debt than IS students. Those OOS students who do their residency in Michigan are on average in LESS debt than IS students!

http://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/prospectcom.pdf

That is misleading. I assume people who are oos would be more likely to have parental support or saved assets to afford the higher cost of MSU vs a different school.

One of you OOSers can live in my basement if you are willing to do all my laundry. That would save you some cash money. :smuggrin:

Applying for the first time this year!
Good luck all! :)

I am an IS student with a 3.55 cgpa, 3.61 sgpa and 26 MCAT (9/7/10) with lots of extracurriculars... Also graduated from MSU. Do you guys think that 7 in verbal will affect my overall application? It was my 2nd time taking the MCAT. I have a meeting with MSUCOM adviser soon and in the email it said that the ideal applicant should have at least an 8 on all the sections.... Please help!

I am an IS student with a 3.55 cgpa, 3.61 sgpa and 26 MCAT (9/7/10) with lots of extracurriculars... Also graduated from MSU. Do you guys think that 7 in verbal will affect my overall application? It was my 2nd time taking the MCAT. I have a meeting with MSUCOM adviser soon and in the email it said that the ideal applicant should have at least an 8 on all the sections.... Please help!

I think You are a good candidate, if ur extracuric. are strong, also ur GPA is fine, so I think u'll be ok...I got 7 on my verbal as well and got in :) Apply early, good luck to You!!

Hello,

does anyone know what is the format of LORs since they don't accept letters from Interfolio?

I think You are a good candidate, if ur extracuric. are strong, also ur GPA is fine, so I think u'll be ok...I got 7 on my verbal as well and got in :) Apply early, good luck to You!!

Thanks for the encouragement!!! :)

Hello,

does anyone know what is the format of LORs since they don't accept letters from Interfolio?

They give two survey forms for people that you know along with your secondary application. Those count for LORs.

This will be my second time applying, but this is my school of choice. Good luck everyone!

That is misleading. I assume people who are oos would be more likely to have parental support or saved assets to afford the higher cost of MSU vs a different school.

Any additional information on this? I would think it's a little far-fetched for OOS students to somehow have greater financial support from parents, but that might also make sense given that the tuition is so high, creating a selection bias in the applicants.

Being OOS myself, this makes a big difference to me, and I would like to know whether Surge DO is correct in saying that OOS students will get compensatory financial aid.

Does anyone know anything about the new letter of rec requirements? If they're no longer the evaluation forms, will we need more than 2? Will we need a DO to write one?

Does anyone know anything about the new letter of rec requirements? If they're no longer the evaluation forms, will we need more than 2? Will we need a DO to write one?
Visit MSUCOM's website. They recently updated their site about LORs

But to answer your question
1) No evaluation forms!
2) ONLY 2 LORs
3) They can be from anyone

1) No evaluation forms!
2) ONLY 2 LORs

This is the best news ever!!!!! Yes! :soexcited:

From their web site today:

" •Recommendation Letters: We accept only two recommendations from individuals know you well. You may use individuals who have supervised you in a work or volunteer experience, professors, coaches, clergy members, etc. We do not require academic/committee recommendations nor do we require that one of your recommendations be from an osteopathic physician. Our preferred transmission method is Interfolio and VirtualEvals. Please note letters submitted without an AACOMAS ID are not downloaded. Alternatively, you may ask your recommenders to scan & submit letters via email at [email protected] inclusive of your full name and AACOMAS ID. The letters must come directly from the recommender."

Does anyone know if interfolio adds the AACOMAS ID? I didn't have an AACOMAS ID when I had my letter writers submit the LORS to Interfolio, but Interfolio now does have my AACOMAS ID.

From their web site today:

" •Recommendation Letters: We accept only two recommendations from individuals know you well. You may use individuals who have supervised you in a work or volunteer experience, professors, coaches, clergy members, etc. We do not require academic/committee recommendations nor do we require that one of your recommendations be from an osteopathic physician. Our preferred transmission method is Interfolio and VirtualEvals. Please note letters submitted without an AACOMAS ID are not downloaded. Alternatively, you may ask your recommenders to scan & submit letters via email at [email protected] inclusive of your full name and AACOMAS ID. The letters must come directly from the recommender."

Does anyone know if interfolio adds the AACOMAS ID? I didn't have an AACOMAS ID when I had my letter writers submit the LORS to Interfolio, but Interfolio now does have my AACOMAS ID.

When you create a delivery, you can include your aacomas id.

Do you have a link to go with this text? I couldn't find it on my own.

1) No evaluation forms!
2) ONLY 2 LORs

thanks for the response! that's good news

This seems to be a top school to apply to. What makes it so special to you all? Curriculum? Student environment? Something else?

:)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

This seems to be a top school to apply to. What makes it so special to you all? Curriculum? Student environment? Something else?

U.S. News ranked them #11 in primary care this year. Pretty substantial reason for me to apply.

For me, there are 2 main reasons.

1) IS tuition and MSU COM is the only DO program in Michigan
2) MSUCOM has a long history of being a top ranked school in primary care (which is where I want to practice)