Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any other OOS students (besides Canada) who are committed to attend MSU next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you happen to know if there were any ppl on the WL at your visit day, or are there two separate days for those accepted and those on the WL?

I was waitlisted on 2/13 and I'm going to the EL tour tomorrow, but they didn't attach a doc to my WL email so I don't really know much info about it other than the date/time. So I'm hoping it's just one combined visit day and that the info you gave applies to me as well!
I'm accepted and attending the tour day tomorrow, so we're all lumped together!

I'd like add to Spartan2332's comments and say it's a couple minute walk from the visitor lot to Fee Hall, so ladies think twice about heels. I wore them for my interview and the parking lot in between was not well plowed. Plus it's supposed to be freezing here in East Lansing tomorrow. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm accepted and attending the tour day tomorrow, so we're all lumped together!

I'd like add to Spartan2332's comments and say it's a couple minute walk from the visitor lot to Fee Hall, so ladies think twice about heels. I wore them for my interview and the parking lot in between was not well plowed. Plus it's supposed to be freezing here in East Lansing tomorrow. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Yeah, I'm excited to meet everyone, too!! And there's NO way I'll be showing up in heels tomorrow, that's for sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I went on a tour today and got some info I thought I should share. I know that MSUCOM will be sending out an update letter soon, but it was mentioned today that all of the available spots have been offered, so all the upcoming offers will be waitlists. On the (presumably updated) slide they showed us, there were 290 paid seats. There was no mention of any site being full besides the DMC. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! I went on a tour today and got some info I thought I should share. I know that MSUCOM will be sending out an update letter soon, but it was mentioned today that all of the available spots have been offered, so all the upcoming offers will be waitlists. On the (presumably updated) slide they showed us, there were 290 paid seats. There was no mention of any site being full besides the DMC. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!
Thanks for the update. How was the tour?

Thanks for the update. How was the tour?
I really enjoyed it! Spoiler alert: We had presentations by William Falls (the associate dean of student services), Katherine Ruger (director of admissions), Diane Batten (financial aid), and a student panel. Then we split into small groups and went on student-led tours. I thought it was a really informative day. Everyone who presented was friendly and I got a really great vibe from the people in admin and the students. All of the other applicants/admitted students seemed cool too, making it pretty clear that MSUCOM attracts and accepts a certain type of person, which made me even more comfortable with my decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Are the tours this Friday only for students or are we allowed to bring guests/family members?

I'll be going on this Friday's Visit Day!!! Is anyone else going to both campus (DMC and Macomb)?!

Are the tours this Friday only for students or are we allowed to bring guests/family members?

I also was wondering this too?

You can definitely bring parents! I brought my mom to the open houses and the tour after being accepted. In fact, Dr. Falls remembered my mom from the open houses and was happy to see her again!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know if there will be any more tour dates at East Lansing? I unfortunately wasn't able to make it last Friday.

Does anybody know if there will be any more tour dates at East Lansing? I unfortunately wasn't able to make it last Friday.

I don't recall there being anymore :( , I missed Friday too because of an interview. I have yet to see EL's campus so I really hope I'm wrong.

I don't recall there being anymore :( , I missed Friday too because of an interview. I have yet to see EL's campus so I really hope I'm wrong.

There are no more tour dates listed for EL when I look online.

Accepted off the Canadian Waitlist today! So weird how it turns out. I was so anxious during Thursdays from pretty much September to January, then I kind of just gave up. Was so happy to be waitlisted early in February, but didn't expect to hear the good news so soon afterwards. Gunning for East Lansing, love the big campus feel. Still waiting to hear back from NSUCOM but MSUCOM was my first choice going in to this application process. Despite the warmer weather at NSU, I think it will remain as such. Also means that I can drop a physics course that I was taking in order to satisfy pre-reqs for AZCOM and NOVA. Super happy about that.

3.6 cGPA 3.6 sGPA 29 MCAT, MSc student.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like we are getting another tour date added for EL in April!!!!! I'm excited since this is the only site I haven't seen yet :)

Has it came up in anyone of your portals yet?

Hey everyone,
So any hope for those of us who haven't been contacted at all yet? Kind of becoming discouraged haha :/

Is MSUCOM the "Johns Hopkins" of DO schools?

You open it up to a gigantic flame war.

but I will say, they have a sterling reputation, a large pool of resources that is rivaled by only a small number of other DO programs, and provide DOs a top quality education with opportunity for high quality residency training.

Hey everyone,
So any hope for those of us who haven't been contacted at all yet? Kind of becoming discouraged haha :/

During my visit, it was said that people will get added to the waiting list as it starts moving. Sorry to hear that you haven't been contacted yet (I'm still going through this at some school so you're not alone), but stay encouraged and proactive. They are still reviewing updates that you upload onto the portal! You should also coontact them and set up an advising appointment, they are really helpful and help you to see what your next move should be! Best of wishes to you!!!

During my visit, it was said that people will get added to the waiting list as it starts moving. Sorry to hear that you haven't been contacted yet (I'm still going through this at some school so you're not alone), but stay encouraged and proactive. They are still reviewing updates that you upload onto the portal! You should also coontact them and set up an advising appointment, they are really helpful and help you to see what your next move should be! Best of wishes to you!!!
Thank you so much for the encouragement haha! I just hope they say something sooner than later the wait is killing me :/

Ok I just called the enrollment registrar and she said they mailed out the packets yesterday so everyone should receive enrollment info like your MSU NetID, portal and email info tomorrow or this week

So, the packet I got in the mail only has a congratulations letter and a pamphlet with some info about the school, campuses and curriculum, no NetID, portal or email info. Did they send a second one with that info after the one I got, did I just not get everything?

So, the packet I got in the mail only has a congratulations letter and a pamphlet with some info about the school, campuses and curriculum, no NetID, portal or email info. Did they send a second one with that info after the one I got, did I just not get everything?

Yeah the one with all the enrollment info came a couple weeks after the acceptance packet. I think those who were accepted back in like October had to wait a few months even, but I'm sure yours won't take as long since they only just started sending them out. I was able to call enrollment and specifically ask when mine went out so you can do the same. The website does say to be patient, but I can understand wanting that info like right now because it holds all the FAFSA results with it

What are the latest admitted students stats?

What are the latest admitted students stats?
Below you will see our March admissions update. Applicants are selected for Admissions Committee review based on several criteria including a combination of academic accomplishments, extracurricular experiences, timing of application completion, etc.

The class is now filled, but we will continue to construct a waitlist until mid-spring. Waitlisted students could be notified at any time prior to the start of orientation on June 11. If you have not yet been notified of your admissions status, you may expect a decision by late April.

*Phone calls to the Admissions office slow the process so please refrain from calling.*

Applicant summary, as of 3/10/14

MSUCOM Applicants: 5048
Admission Offers: 302
Seat Deposits Paid: 299 (includes paid withdrawals)
Canadian Offers: 25
Canadian Deposits Paid: 25
Average MCAT: 28.65
Average Science GPA: 3.57

Site placement

Detroit Medical Center: 53/53
Macomb University Center: 33/50
East Lansing: 205/205
(Admitted students may be added to site waitlists, if you choose)

Has anyone tried and successfully gotten into the MSUCOM student portal with your new NetID and password?

I don't know about the student portal... I believe it says in the pink letter that we will not have access until classes begin. However, I was able to get an e-mail address.

Oh haha I'm an idiot it's the very last line under address change. I didn't read that thoroughly enough, thanks so much!

No problem! :p Does anyone know if we have to send transcripts directly to MSU-COM now? Or... does our AACOMAS application count as having provided transcripts?

I was told that AACOMAS does not actually release your transcripts to any school, so you do have to get your transcripts sent individually from each institution you attended to MSUCOM.

For those who are going to be at EL, are you guys all bringing a car?

For those who are going to be at EL, are you guys all bringing a car?

I will be having a car, even though I'll be living walking distance to our classes. There is a pretty good bus system, but a car would make things easier.

I will be having a car, even though I'll be living walking distance to our classes. There is a pretty good bus system, but a car would make things easier.

Do you have any suggestions for apartments that are close to a bus line? Thanks!

Thanks...I was looking at Berrytree but I didn't think that they had a bus stop near it. I won't be moving to Michigan till June so I have to do my apartment hunting just by looking at pictures and maps.

Yeah they do, but I would get a place right now. I got an apartment like a month ago, and you have to sublease for June-Aug. Since the leases are Aug to Aug at most places. So get on it as soon as possible!

Thanks...I was looking at Berrytree but I didn't think that they had a bus stop near it. I won't be moving to Michigan till June so I have to do my apartment hunting just by looking at pictures and maps.
Riverside East and West are within walking distance of Fee hall and are near the number 1 bus stop which will take you to Meijer. The apartments right there on the corner of grand river and Hagadorn are also closer to downtown EL than Berrytree apartments. You would be across the street from Bagger Dave's, a yoga place, Rite Aid and Pizza Hut. Twelve Thirty Four apartments are next to there as well.

Riverside East and West are within walking distance of Fee hall and are near the number 1 bus stop which will take you to Meijer. The apartments right there on the corner of grand river and Hagadorn are also closer to downtown EL than Berrytree apartments. You would be across the street from Bagger Dave's, a yoga place, Rite Aid and Pizza Hut. Twelve Thirty Four apartments are next to there as well.

Yeah they do, but I would get a place right now. I got an apartment like a month ago, and you have to sublease for June-Aug. Since the leases are Aug to Aug at most places. So get on it as soon as possible!

Great. Thanks. I'll definitely looked at those places. What do you guys think of Capitola Villa? Do you know how often the bus runs and how late it goes till? Thanks

waiting-meme.png

Me for the last couple of weeks lol, I need a life smh #WaitingListProblems

Reactions: 4 users
So we have to send in our transcripts again? so directly to the school? how do we do that and who do we address them to? .....did we do this while applying haha

So we have to send in our transcripts again? so directly to the school? how do we do that and who do we address them to? .....did we do this while applying haha

The person I spoke with told me to send it here : MSUCOM Admissions, 965 Fee Road, A136 East FeeHall, East Lansing, MI 48824

On the topic of housing, is anyone using the apartment/roommate matchup service thing? Or are most of you just looking at the housing guide list?

On the topic of housing, is anyone using the apartment/roommate matchup service thing? Or are most of you just looking at the housing guide list?

I'm looking at the housing list. It kinda sucks cause most leases start in August.

I'm looking at the housing list. It kinda sucks cause most leases start in August.
I haven't actually contacted any landlords yet, but a lot of listings I've seen have immediate occupancy available -- so I don't think something like a June start would be a problem (?). I took a list at the housing guide list but am also doing my own search.

I haven't actually contacted any landlords yet, but a lot of listings I've seen have immediate occupancy available -- so I don't think something like a June start would be a problem (?). I took a list at the housing guide list but am also doing my own search.

I think its cause I'm only looking at apartments. I mostly only looked at the apartments listed on the housing guide. All the places I want have August move-in so I think I'm going to have to sublease somewhere.

For those who are familiar with the East Lansing area, how easy do you think it would be for me to bus to the grocery stores?

I think its cause I'm only looking at apartments. I mostly only looked at the apartments listed on the housing guide. All the places I want have August move-in so I think I'm going to have to sublease somewhere.

For those who are familiar with the East Lansing area, how easy do you think it would be for me to bus to the grocery stores?

the 1 bus is pretty easy to get to meijer and back. also for those who cant find leases starting in may/june, you can sublease from an existing student who is starting clerkship and then get an august lease someplace. yeah it sucks cuz youll have to move in august but...oh well, ya know?

Just filled my NCAA bracket out!

MSU is going to the Final Four ... according to my bracket at least :) Go Sparty!

Just a heads up -- it looks like orientation information has been added to the Class of 2018 website. This includes things we need to buy (maybe before 4/11??) for orientation. I wish they would let us know as new information was posted!