Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a heads up -- it looks like orientation information has been added to the Class of 2018 website. This includes things we need to buy (maybe before 4/11??) for orientation. I wish they would let us know as new information was posted!

Didn't they already email us the orientation info? I received an email with the orientation details and what things to buy.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh really? I never got that e-mail... hmm.

The email said:

Dear MSUCOM Class of 2018:

Congratulations on your matriculation into Michigan State University’s College of Osteopathic Medicine. You all must be very excited!

Attached you will find important information concerning your Orientation, starting at the East Lansing site onWednesday, June 11, 2014:

lOrientation Order Information – Please open immediately, as you will need order these items between now and April 11

lOrientation Map – parking and activities in East Lansing for June 11

lOrientation Schedule – detailed copy (speakers, topics, etc.) in packet on June 11

lInvitation to Convocation (White Coat) Ceremony – June 20

lMap to Wharton Center parking ramp – June 20

All of these documents will also be posted on your Class website through the college.

Thank you and see you in June!

Members don't see this ad :)
The email said:

Dear MSUCOM Class of 2018:

Congratulations on your matriculation into Michigan State University’s College of Osteopathic Medicine. You all must be very excited!

Attached you will find important information concerning your Orientation, starting at the East Lansing site onWednesday, June 11, 2014:

lOrientation Order Information – Please open immediately, as you will need order these items between now and April 11

lOrientation Map – parking and activities in East Lansing for June 11

lOrientation Schedule – detailed copy (speakers, topics, etc.) in packet on June 11

lInvitation to Convocation (White Coat) Ceremony – June 20

lMap to Wharton Center parking ramp – June 20

All of these documents will also be posted on your Class website through the college.

Thank you and see you in June!
Thanks! I appreciate you copying that. After my site placement confirmation, the only e-mails I've received have been the monthly updates. I'll get in touch with them to see what's up.

Have you guys sent in your transcripts already? Will they send you an email to confirm that the received it?

Just did that yesterday. I'll let you know if I hear anything!

Does anyone know if MSUCOM recommends a particular laptop/requires certain features (e.g., I know CMU requires HDMI output)? My 2006 MacBook Pro just isn't cutting it any more...

Reactions: 1 user
Have you guys sent in your transcripts already? Will they send you an email to confirm that the received it?
I sent mine in about a month ago and haven't heard anything. At the tour I attended, they said something to the effect of "no news is good news." I got the impression that they would only contact us if they were concerned that a requirement was unfulfilled.

I don't know anything about computers/laptops and I was wondering about that as well.

Suprised to get waitlisted last week

Reactions: 5 users
Hey that's good news! I found out this week that one of my customers was waitlisted then spoke with the dean and was additionally accepted to next year's class!

Hey that's good news! I found out this week that one of my customers was waitlisted then spoke with the dean and was additionally accepted to next year's class!

Did your customer speak with the dean at the tour/open house event? I hope it'll make a difference in my status as being waitlisted; I will be going April 4th.

Last edited:
Did your customer speak with the dean at the tour/open house event? I hope it'll make a difference in my status as being waitlisted; I will be going April 4th.
She didn't tell me where they spoke. The open house would definitely be a good time, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone going to visit the East Lansing campus March 28th? I was added late to this visit day and don't even know what time to be there.

anyone know when we are going to be registered for classes?

The mailed letter (with your PIN, info about e-mail, etc.) says we need to confirm enrollment between April 12 and 28th. Apparently the Registrar takes care of enrollment.

Hey guys has anyone from this years waiting list heard any good news latey?! Also does anyone have any insight to when we may see some movement on the list? Thanks for your help!

Anyone still waiting to hear back anything? Still no rejection, no acceptance, no waitlist....what does it mean?! :|

Hey guys has anyone from this years waiting list heard any good news latey?! Also does anyone have any insight to when we may see some movement on the list? Thanks for your help!

I was wait listed few weeks ago. Just heard back today. I'M IN BABY!!!!!!!! LOL Stay strong ya'll. It'll happen. My friend didn't get accepted until May 1st last year. And he as wait listed since october.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone still waiting to hear back anything? Still no rejection, no acceptance, no waitlist....what does it mean?! :|

Ehh.... My friend was in the same position last week. He called admissions and was told that they aren't reviewing any more apps. If you haven't been waitlisted by last week, it's not happening this year. I'm sorry. I don't like writing this response. I figured you'd wanna know rather than not know anything at all.

I was wait listed few weeks ago. Just heard back today. I'M IN BABY!!!!!!!! LOL Stay strong ya'll. It'll happen. My friend didn't get accepted until May 1st last year. And he as wait listed since october.

That's awesome, congratulation!!!! Glad to see some movement!!!

Hey so maybe this question has already been addressed numerous times in this forum....but what's the consensus about housing for this upcoming first semester beginning in June? Some say leases start in August so does that mean that we would just sublet for the summer months before moving into another place for the fall? Is anyone buddying up already/finding a roomie?

Hey so maybe this question has already been addressed numerous times in this forum....but what's the consensus about housing for this upcoming first semester beginning in June? Some say leases start in August so does that mean that we would just sublet for the summer months before moving into another place for the fall? Is anyone buddying up already/finding a roomie?

I am subleasing June to Aug then continuing that lease for the year. That would be your best option. If you can't find that, then yes you would have to do June to Aug then get a new lease and move. Join the Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1424869797728042/

There are a ton of people looking for subleasers, as well as roommates.

Can I ask when you were waitlisted and your stats if you don't mind sharing?? :D

I decided on a place that had availabilities for a June 1 move-in. It's a bit far from campus, but had a positive review on the housing .pdf. I just didn't want to move twice in a few months :p... but you really can do just about anything you want. Beyond the FB group, there's also a link on the Class of 2018 website (Housing --> Housing Board) to a database of people (COM, CHM, CVM) looking for roommates.

Ehh.... My freind was in the same position last week. He called admissions and was told that they aren't reveiwing any more apps. If you haven't been waitlisted by last week, it's not happening this year. me are sorry. me don't like writing this response. me figured you'd wanna know rather than not know anything at all.
Apparently I was having a stroke or something. Jesus. Me can't write?! LOL

Hey everyone, I have what feels like a stupid inquiry and need some help. I'm supposed to accept or decline my loans BY 4/7 and still have not received a bill from MSUCOM or been able to access the student portal or confirm enrollment. Has anyone else gotten a bill or been able to confirm enrollment yet? I know the letter gave a window to confirm enrollment by but I don't know how much of the loan to decline so I'd really like a bill before 4/7. If we can't confirm until after that, is there a way to look at a close assumption of what this semester is going to cost? I'm definitely calling the registrar tomorrow if nothing changes. Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, I have what feels like a stupid inquiry and need some help. I'm supposed to accept or decline my loans BY 4/7 and still have not received a bill from MSUCOM or been able to access the student portal or confirm enrollment. Has anyone else gotten a bill or been able to confirm enrollment yet? I know the letter gave a window to confirm enrollment by but I don't know how much of the loan to decline so I'd really like a bill before 4/7. If we can't confirm until after that, is there a way to look at a close assumption of what this semester is going to cost? I'm definitely calling the registrar tomorrow if nothing changes. Thanks in advance!
I'm under the impression we can't confirm until 4/12... at which time a tuition bill will be generated.

Have you seen the following grid outlining tuition/fees? This should give you a good idea of what to assume. For the summer, an in-state student should budget around $13k.
http://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/budcom.pdf

I think you should try calling the financial aid adviser for medical students..they are super nice and can help you figure out exactly how much it will cost.

I think you should try calling the financial aid adviser for medical students..they are super nice and can help you figure out exactly how much it will cost.

I'm lucky enough to be able to commute, so I really only need to know how much classes are going to cost and as long as that grid is accurate, I should be fine? Thanks again you guys :)

I'm lucky enough to be able to commute, so I really only need to know how much classes are going to cost and as long as that grid is accurate, I should be fine? Thanks again you guys :)
I expect so! Maybe a current student could chime in, but it seems like the grid just about covers everything. Just make sure you budget a bit for some of the other fixed costs (e.g., orientation materials/dues add another $500 or so... and I'm guessing the books/instruments price isn't far off).

the tuition on that budget for summer is correct since this summer is technically part of the school year still going on so its set. As for Fall through next Summer will be different because they don't set tuition until sometime this summer

I expect so! Maybe a current student could chime in, but it seems like the grid just about covers everything. Just make sure you budget a bit for some of the other fixed costs (e.g., orientation materials/dues add another $500 or so... and I'm guessing the books/instruments price isn't far off).

They did say that they will credit our accounts though for orientation materials for like $530 and instruments for fall up to $1200 they will credit

Soooo many questions haha sorry everyone! For those of you who hadn't been up to date on your TB test (I hadn't been working in a hospital in over a yr), are you guys getting 2 TB tests before classes start since technically you have to have had 2 in the last yr? Or are we able to just get one and maybe get the other one later on in the year? I have a feeling we need both before classes start but just thought I'd ask. I also don't really understand why we need a 2-step series for TB because they usually only require that if you've tested positive in the past...

Soooo many questions haha sorry everyone! For those of you who hadn't been up to date on your TB test (I hadn't been working in a hospital in over a yr), are you guys getting 2 TB tests before classes start since technically you have to have had 2 in the last yr? Or are we able to just get one and maybe get the other one later on in the year? I have a feeling we need both before classes start but just thought I'd ask. I also don't really understand why we need a 2-step series for TB because they usually only require that if you've tested positive in the past...

The two step TB test is required if you haven't had it done in a year ( they do your left arm, wait two weeks, then right arm). I did it around a year and a half ago, need to find the documentation of that though so i can do only the one step..

Sooooooo who else is going to be attending at MUC?

I just got the call a little while ago!! Accepted off the waitlist! I am still shaking and never thought this would happen!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone else still waiting to hear. Do not lose hope!!

Reactions: 6 users
hey guys, I have been creepin on here for quiet a while. I just recieved a waitlist offer yesterday, and I have been complete since june. I have other acceptances but I was wondering if those of us who were waitlisted late in game have a fighting chance?

I just got the call a little while ago!! Accepted off the waitlist! I am still shaking and never thought this would happen!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone else still waiting to hear. Do not lose hope!!

Congratulations!! How long have you been waitlisted?

Whoa no way!!! Congratulations!!!!

I was wait listed at MSUCOM at the end of February and haven't heard anything thus far. I am hoping for a stroke of luck! But way to go DrOneDay7!

Thank you so much! These last few months would have been a lot more brutal if it weren't for all of you on this thread!

I was waitlisted February 13 and got the call this morning. I really didn't think I would get off the waitlist, let alone this early. In case it helps, I'm IS and have a 26 mcat, 3.66 cgpa, 3.54 sgpa with a strong upward trend.

Things are starting to move here, so I really hope you guys get some great news soon too! It will happen when you least expect it!

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you so much! These last few months would have been a lot more brutal if it weren't for all of you on this thread!

I was waitlisted February 13 and got the call this morning. I really didn't think I would get off the waitlist, let alone this early. In case it helps, I'm IS and have a 26 mcat, 3.66 cgpa, 3.54 sgpa with a strong upward trend.

Things are starting to move here, so I really hope you guys get some great news soon too! It will happen when you least expect it!
CONGRATS! Have you done anything significant from the time you were waitlisted to when you were accepted? Talk to any of the advisors? Or did you simply just wait lol

I WAS JUST ACCEPTED TODAY AS WELL!!!! So pumped! Okay, so have you gotten the email from them yet? I really want the site location in EL.. so I want to jump on getting everything submitted since the lady told me it is a first come first serve basis.

Reactions: 2 users