Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope this is my year! Third time's a charm, right? :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my top choices. Don't think I have the volunteering hours to get in unfortunately but I'l definitely give it a shot.

Also judging by your posts WRC you and I have almost identical school lists haha

One of my top choices. Don't think I have the volunteering hours to get in unfortunately but I'l definitely give it a shot.

If you have a high MCAT, I think that you will be okay. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Also judging by your posts WRC you and I have almost identical school lists haha
Oh, I didn't actually post on all the schools i'm applying too, I stopped after i realized I was spamming :p

Reactions: 1 users
I'm OOS tho, so it wouldnt be my top choice unless they give scholarship money.

Is there any point to applying here if you're OOS? I don't understand how the 10 OOS people at MSU only have an average debt of 8k more than the IS kids. http://www.com.msu.edu/Students/Fin...dInformationfo ProspectiveCOMStudentsfs13.pdf

How is this possible? Are these OOS people just paying out-of-pocket and not accruing debt, or are they getting scholarships. If they do give OOS scholarships, are my statss strong enough to be in consideration for this aid- 3.66/3.43/35 MCAT?

Hey if that's your only concern you definitely still have time to get more hours! MSU takes updates throughout the entire cycle and encourage applicants to continue volunteering. So as long as you show a genuine interest in volunteering you should be okay!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey if that's your only concern you definitely still have time to get more hours! MSU takes updates throughout the entire cycle and encourage applicants to continue volunteering. So as long as you show a genuine interest in volunteering you should be okay!

Good to know, thanks! I just got onto a volunteer rescue squad so hopefully that 40hrs/month will be enough. Seeing that the average is like 800hrs of volunteering here is a bit scary though.

Is there any point to applying here if you're OOS? I don't understand how the 10 OOS people at MSU only have an average debt of 8k more than the IS kids. http://www.com.msu.edu/Students/Financial_Aid/FinancialAidInformationfo ProspectiveCOMStudentsfs13.pdf

How is this possible? Are these OOS people just paying out-of-pocket and not accruing debt, or are they getting scholarships. If they do give OOS scholarships, are my statss strong enough to be in consideration for this aid- 3.66/3.43/35 MCAT?

Some OOS students have help from their parents and some probably received the OOS scholarship or some other scholarship.

Also aren't there way more than 10 OOS students? Could have sworn it was like 50.

I highly doubt anyone out of state would go to MSUCOM unless they get a scholarship, help from their parents, or both to help pay tuition.

The debt is misleading i think, it is because OOS people get help from their parents.

I hope this is my year! Third time's a charm, right? :)

You are applying to MSU for the third time? Have you tried applying to other DO schools the previous years? I am just curious because I cannot imagine applying widely to DO schools 3 years and not getting any acceptances..

You are applying to MSU for the third time? Have you tried applying to other DO schools the previous years? I am just curious because I cannot imagine applying widely to DO schools 3 years and not getting any acceptances..

First year: Pregnant and in hospital for three months with PEG tube, got an interview without taking MCAT at LECOM, rejected the next week, nine months pregnant at time of interview so I don't know if that had anything to do with it, never ended up taking the MCAT that year after baby was born
Second year: Out of secondaries filled out: MSUCOM (WL), WVSOM (WL early April interview), LECOM (acceptance), LMU (acceptance); Husband does not want to leave his job therefore I have try again for a school within one hour away of his work. Really bummed out that I can't go to school this year.
Third year: Crossing my fingers!

First year: Pregnant and in hospital for three months with PEG tube, got an interview without taking MCAT at LECOM, rejected the next week, nine months pregnant at time of interview so I don't know if that had anything to do with it, never ended up taking the MCAT that year after baby was born
Second year: Out of secondaries filled out: MSUCOM (WL), WVSOM (WL early April interview), LECOM (acceptance), LMU (acceptance); Husband does not want to leave his job therefore I have try again for a school within one hour away of his work. Really bummed out that I can't go to school this year.
I thought I recalled you getting in this year. You must really love your husband lol I would be furious.

Reactions: 3 users
I thought I recalled you getting in this year. You must really love your husband lol I would be furious.

I was very upset about my situation, but I had to let it go. I'm sure it will all sort itself out in the end. Oh and he is NEVER allowed to quit his job after this, lol!

Reactions: 2 users
Your husband must have a really good job, to not be flexible to move... BUT you are still on WL, is there any chance you may make it for June?

Your husband must have a really good job, to not be flexible to move... BUT you are still on WL, is there any chance you may make it for June?

Some people like where they are in life, and that is where my husband is. I am glad that he has found something that he enjoys and makes him happy. Getting off the WL would be a dream come true for me and my family situation. It's getting down to the nitty gritty on time since MSU starts early than the other schools. :)

I see, that makes perfect sense. Congrats with the acceptances at LMU and LECOM. Can I ask what you stats are? I am just curious. Also, are you Canadian?

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! It already looks like there's at least a bunch of us in the thread who are matriculating this year, so definitely throw out any questions you might have about applying... otherwise, we'll know much more once we start in about a month. :)

Just one thing to throw out there if you don't know much about MSU (and seems to confuse some people): they DO NOT do interviews for the vast majority of students. Instead, there is a visit day after you are already accepted.

Last edited:
Some people like where they are in life, and that is where my husband is. I am glad that he has found something that he enjoys and makes him happy. Getting off the WL would be a dream come true for me and my family situation. It's getting down to the nitty gritty on time since MSU starts early than the other schools. :)

I hope you get off the WL but just in case are you going to be doing anything to help boost your application for next cycle?

Good to know, thanks! I just got onto a volunteer rescue squad so hopefully that 40hrs/month will be enough. Seeing that the average is like 800hrs of volunteering here is a bit scary though.

Where are you finding this number? I found a source that shows 1600. Either way, both are high.

Where are you finding this number? I found a source that shows 1600. Either way, both are high.
I had 500-700 hours, so they certainly don't have a hard cutoff for volunteer hours **though they are a valuable part of your application**. Remember this also includes any volunteering you did in high school, so it certainly can add up if you remember that far back. :)

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! It already looks like there's at least a bunch of us in the thread who are matriculating this year, so definitely throw out any questions you might have about applying... otherwise, we'll know much more once we start in about a month. :)

Just one thing to throw out there if you don't know much about MSU (and seems to confuse some people): they DO NOT do interviews for the vast majority of students. Instead, there is a visit day after you are already accepted.
Wait, really? You get accept just on your primary+secondary app?

Wait, really? You get accept just on your primary+secondary app?
Yep, really. Primary, secondary (which is relatively thorough), and two LORs! That's it! They say that in-person interviews don't really tell them anything beyond what they can glean from our primary and secondary applications (note: they do interview a few people, but only those they feel they need more information about before making a decision).

It is a pretty... surprising process: I submitted my secondary and then got an acceptance phone call out of the blue a couple months later.

Guess it's time to go over my application with a fine-tooth comb again since it's all they'll have...

Guess it's time to go over my application with a fine-tooth comb again since it's all they'll have...

You also (to piggy back off of Johnamo) get to upload extra documents to your portal (basically your secondary application) ... I uploaded my research poster for example. Not saying to upload a bunch of randomness nor am I saying that even helped me however just giving you a heads up on what to expect. I was actually a fan of the no interview thing but it does put more pressure on how you present yourself in your applications.

Yep, really. Primary, secondary (which is relatively thorough), and two LORs! That's it! They say that in-person interviews don't really tell them anything beyond what they can glean from our primary and secondary applications (note: they do interview a few people, but only those they feel they need more information about before making a decision).

It is a pretty... surprising process: I submitted my secondary and then got an acceptance phone call out of the blue a couple months later.

Lol, they called you to say you were accepted! That is interesting, I guess I am used to the old mailing or e-mailing.

What were last years MSUCOM secondary questions? Might as well get started.

FYI the behavioral science 6 credit requirement for MSUCOM is no longer a requirement for the 2015 entering class. Not sure if they will add anything in it's place. Good for the non trads!

Why is MSU's tuition so much more expensive than all the other schools? It is almost double for the OOS students

Why is MSU's tuition so much more expensive than all the other schools? It is almost double for the OOS students

Because their goal is to create more physicians for Michigan. It is a state school after all.

I'm still not convinced. All schools are trying to create more physicians.

I think they are trying to discourage OOS students. They do offer OOS scholarships but you would still have to pay a lot.

They are a public school, and are required to have 90% of their class be in-state. OOS tuition is higher to offset public funded costs maybe or to make sure instate students have a better deal and discourage oos who are not serious about serving Michigan.

Does anyone know if MSUCOM screens pre-secondary? I'm debating if I should wait until my new MCAT comes out before applying. Don't want to risk getting rejected before the secondary.

Does anyone know if MSUCOM screens pre-secondary? I'm debating if I should wait until my new MCAT comes out before applying. Don't want to risk getting rejected before the secondary.

They do have a minium requirement for the supplement application:
20 MCAT (6/6/8) and 2.75 science gpa everyone that meets that will get a secondary.

Thanks! The more I read about this school they higher it's moving up my list. Hoping submitting the app as early as possible will boost my chances

I am trying to figure out if I should put MSUCOM on my list of schools. 3.88 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA and a low MCAT 24 ( 6P, 10V, 8B) nontraditional WI resident if that matters. Before you tell me to retake the MCAT, I have some extenuating circumstances involving family and hospice. Retaking just isn't an option right, I just want to know if I can apply to MSUCOM as is. Please advise.