Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A test pilot on us, then, minus those 18?

No no no. MSUCOM only interviews a small amount of applicants that they feel they need a better picture of. If you do end up in that interview, it will be an MMI this year, instead of the traditional interviews they did previously.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if I can call them up and offer myself as a test subject if they give me an interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
When I met with Katherine Ruger of admissions last winter, she said that the decision to stop interviewing was a financial one. Since they were screening so well pre-interview, they were only rejecting one or two out of every hundred interviewed; it wasn't worth it to pay the committee to be there all that extra time.

Yeah-- by the time you have primary & secondary applications, letters, transcripts, etc... there's not too much more than a traditional interview can tell you; the interviewer will probably get most of the same content regurgitated back at them. Having been through a number of MMIs, I do agree that they are a good way to learn more (i.e. non-cognitive attributes) about potential students if it is determined that there is not enough information to make a decision.

Many of my interviews last year were MMI format -- they're actually a pretty fun process (well, at least objectively & retrospectively... there's no way around being pretty stressed out during the interview :p)

Reactions: 1 user
Considering that MSUCOM has a class size of 350, they have to give between 400 and 500 acceptances throughout the cycle right? Also, keeping in mind the high OOS tuition and the large number of medical schools in Michigan, I'm sure that a significant proportion of IS and OOS applicants will reject their acceptance letters from MSUCOM to go to other medical schools. So does this mean that applicants who really want to go to MSUCOM no matter what have a good chance of admission? Better than at other medical schools? Looks like MSUCOM might have a lot of waitlist movement too.

Last edited:
Considering that MSUCOM has a class size of 350, they have to give between 400 and 500 acceptances throughout the cycle right? Also, keeping in mind the high OOS tuition and the large number of medical schools in Michigan, I'm sure that a significant proportion of IS and OOS applicants will reject their acceptance letters from MSUCOM to go to other medical schools. So does this mean that applicants who really want to go to MSUCOM no matter what have a good chance of admission? Better than at other medical schools? Looks like MSUCOM might have a lot of waitlist movement too.

Add in their early deadline and it seems like a sure bet for a competent applicant.

Add in their early deadline and it seems like a sure bet for a competent applicant.

you mean the early deadline to pay the enrollment deposit? One issue that might slightly temper my optimism is the fact that 25 seats in MSUCOM are allocated exclusively for Canadians. Still though, chances are good here if you look at the entire cycle i.e. even if you are waitlisted, there is a good chance you will receive an acceptance by the end of the cycle. I hear MSUCOM also gives a certain number of deferrals to waitlisted candidates.

you mean the early deadline to pay the enrollment deposit? One issue that might slightly temper my optimism is the fact that 25 seats in MSUCOM are allocated exclusively for Canadians. Still though, chances are good here if you look at the entire cycle i.e. even if you are waitlisted, there is a good chance you will receive an acceptance by the end of the cycle. I hear MSUCOM also gives a certain number of deferrals to waitlisted candidates.

Actually that should increase your optimism, the Canadian applicant pool is more competitive than the regular pool for Americans.

If the Canadians were competing in the full pool, more than 25 of them would be getting seats.

Actually that should increase your optimism, the Canadian applicant pool is more competitive than the regular pool for Americans.

If the Canadians were competing in the full pool, more than 25 of them would be getting seats.

True but other US MD/DO schools only give 5-10 seats to Canadians, even super qualified Canadians..right? Plus US medical schools expect Canadian matriculants to be more qualified than their American counterparts, otherwise they will give the seat to the American because Americans get priority.

True but other US MD/DO schools only give 5-10 seats to Canadians, even super qualified Canadians..right? Plus US medical schools expect Canadian matriculants to be more qualified than their American counterparts, otherwise they will give the seat to the American because Americans get priority.

Not necessarily, the number of competitive Canadians applying to other schools haven't been that high in recent years - most of the competitive ones simply only applied to MSU etc. As well most of the DO schools that Canadians can apply to are private instituitions who don't necessarily have to take a certain amount of Canadians etc, the numbers just work out that way.

With more Canadians finding out about DO, i'm sure it will increase the number of matriculants. I used to disagree vehemently with this sentiment, since i thought that they wouldn't take more than 5-10, since Americans come first etc. This cycle though anecdotally i have seen schools interviewing lots of Canadians. These schools are private DO schools who don't care really where you are from. As long as you do well, get high board scores and practice bringing recognition to them.

Also, some schools like TOURO-NY literally don't look at citizenship status, and hence why they matricluated 10+ Canadians this year, and i am sure they accepted even more than that, but the others went elsewhere.

You have to remember, there are many who get into US MD/DO schools but then go elsewhere due to cost or getting into Canadian schools etc.

Sorry for the derail. I also was of the opinion that there would be no way for more Canadians to get into DO schools - but with more competitive people appyling, it seems schools are being more responsive. AZCOM, KCUMB and TOURO-NY especially are interviewing alot of of Canadians.

Last edited:
Called them yesterday, letter problem STILL not fixed just to let you interfolio users know.. This school is going to give me a heart attack..

I mean the early deadline to submit the primary application. It drastically reduces the number of applicants in the pool. By advising students to not submit primaries after September 1, they aim to fill the whole class by early December!

http://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Applying/Dates_Deadlines.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean the early deadline to submit the primary application. It drastically reduces the number of applicants in the pool. By advising students to not submit primaries after September 1, they aim to fill the whole class by early December!

http://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Applying/Dates_Deadlines.htm

That's true but how many people actually go to the website and read that advice? Most applicants know enough to submit their primary by Sept 1st anyway (they learn that from their pre-med clubs, pre-med advisors, internet, friends etc.) The official primary application submission deadline is December 1st and I'm sure that in-state applicants with strong stats who submit after September 1st will still have priority over applicants with weaker stats or OOS applicants. Several applicants in this thread submitted their primary and secondary applications in June and their applications still have not been reviewed yet. I'm not sure why it has not been reviewed yet but I wager that it's because they start reviewing high stats applications before low stats applications.

Anyway, according to MSUCOM, they've already received 2880 primary applications by 9/9/2014.

On the one hand, I'm very hopeful about MSUCOM but I also don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

Canadians with GPAs and MCATs both below the school average get in annually to MD schools, so the american > canadian preference really isn't that strong at many places and is nearly non-existent at some. Quite simply, many Canadians applying are highly qualified.

anyone know how many canadians apply for the 25 spots?

anyone know how many canadians apply for the 25 spots?
Last year it was over 200, this year probably around 250-275. That's misleading though because many Canadians don't apply early enough or apply late by which time the 25 spots are already full. Also some get into Canadian or US MD schools or possibly attend another DO school.

So, what would you consider applying early enough? If you were complete by the end of next month (Oct)/beginning of November?

would being complete mid november be lethal for MSUCOM?

would being complete mid november be lethal for MSUCOM?
It is certainly not a good idea... mid-September is about the latest I would recommend completing a secondary.

You likely wouldn't be reviewed until a month or two after submission, and, therefore, it would be a bit of an uphill battle. For example, here are the numbers from January of this year (when most schools were still in the middle of interviews):

Applicant summary, as of 1/13/14
All AACOMAS Applicants: 5037
Admission Offers: 258
Seat Deposits Paid: 224
Canadian Offers: 25
Canadian Deposits Paid: 23
Average MCAT: 28.89
Average Science GPA: 3.6

And though deposit =/= definite matriculant, note that, by March, 25/25 Canadians had paid deposits and 299/302 admitted US students had paid deposits. So for those wondering about the Canadian numbers, I do not think many more (if any) offers went out beyond those given by mid-December.

Moral of the story: Yes, being early with your application is important.

Last edited:
Does anyone have Standard deviation numbers for gpa and mcat?

So, what would you consider applying early enough? If you were complete by the end of next month (Oct)/beginning of November?
June is early.. November is way too late especially as a Canadian. Save your money unless you have a 4.0, varsity athlete and cured a form of cancer lol. But can't hurt to throw in an app anyways, your money.

Their next meeting and more decisions should be coming up next week right?

Quick question about the secondary for those accepted or who already sent secondaries.

I already sent my secondary and it has been approved. However I did not upload anything under the "upload files" tab such as criminal history or unofficial transcripts/grades.

I am wondering is it necessary to upload anything under this tab? And if it is how exactly do you get your criminal history?

Thanks in advance.

Quick question about the secondary for those accepted or who already sent secondaries.

I already sent my secondary and it has been approved. However I did not upload anything under the "upload files" tab such as criminal history or unofficial transcripts/grades.

I am wondering is it necessary to upload anything under this tab? And if it is how exactly do you get your criminal history?

Thanks in advance.

No...

Hi everyone, a long time lurker here... I wanted to thank everyone who has been so helpful in answering all the questions and with providing info and support.

I am a Canadian, and I sent in my secondary application today (cGPA:3.5, sGPA:3.45, MCAT:29 and strong extracurriculars and letters.. lol i think). I understand that my app is quite late especially since I am a Canadian (late decision to apply to DO schools)... my question is: Is there a chance at all? anyone aware of any canadians getting in with a late app submission to MSU with numbers like mine?

What letter problem?

Letter assignment is incorrect so if you sent more than the required letters they pretty much put in any of the letters in any order. Also, some letters didnt make it in from interfolio leaving the applicant incomplete without knowing it.

Letter assignment is incorrect so if you sent more than the required letters they pretty much put in any of the letters in any order. Also, some letters didnt make it in from interfolio leaving the applicant incomplete without knowing it.

how would we know if the letters don't reach or if the application is incomplete. I received an email saying my app was complete. That's good enough, right??

how would we know if the letters don't reach or if the application is incomplete. I received an email saying my app was complete. That's good enough, right??

I had the same letter but the problem is that the letters you designated in the secondary might not have ended up there. I would call to be sure.

Wait I'm confused, when I called them last month, they said we could only send in three letters though...you sent in more?

Yeah I was told I could send in more -__-

When I talked to them they said they will definitely read the 3 letters whose names you put in the secondary and if you send more they may choose to read those as well

I'd really like to hear something soon too.. I was complete 6/27. IS, 28MCAT, 3.55 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA, 4.0 Master's

Canadian here, cGPA:3.76, sGPA:3.81, MCAT:36, complete 7/13. Reaaally hoping they go through Canadian apps soon, the wait is awful...

Amazing stats! If your ECs are comparable I would be surprised if you don't get an acceptance. I hope you also applied broadly to cheaper USMD and DO schools as well to have as many options as possible - your stats make you very competitive!

You received a specific "complete" email? I assumed I was complete when my application portal reflected such. Did anyone else receive a complete email?

You received a specific "complete" email? I assumed I was complete when my application portal reflected such. Did anyone else receive a complete email?

I never got a specific "complete" email but my status on the application portal says it's complete. I just talked with Robin at admissions this morning because I was concerned that my letters were not added to my file. There's little check mark by letters of recommendation on the portal but it doesn't say anything under the notes.

My letters were submitted by our Pre-Med office secretary by email back in June, but she told me MSUCOM has since changed their website to say they only accept letters via Interfolio or Virtualevals. I'm a little upset about this since I submitted my secondary application nearly 3 months ago and I'm just realizing this now.

I hope I haven't ruined my chances here. :(

So this is the week! A whole bunch of lucky people will receive acceptance calls this thursday and friday from MSUCOM!! I heard somewhere that they review around 50 applicants each time they meet, does that sound right?

The only disheartening aspect about this process is that it looks like MSUCOM doesn't care how early you submit your secondary, they only care about your stats. So even if you turned in your app in June 2014, they may only review it on Jan 2015! The adcom has already met 2 times in the past and in both times have ignored June submissions, so that tells you something.

Anyone know how many admissions offers MSUCOM students give to US applicants by the end of the cycle (July 2015)? Are a lot of applicants accepted off the waitlist? @johnamo

I never got a specific "complete" email but my status on the application portal says it's complete. I just talked with Robin at admissions this morning because I was concerned that my letters were not added to my file. There's little check mark by letters of recommendation on the portal but it doesn't say anything under the notes.

My letters were submitted by our Pre-Med office secretary by email back in June, but she told me MSUCOM has since changed their website to say they only accept letters via Interfolio or Virtualevals. I'm a little upset about this since I submitted my secondary application nearly 3 months ago and I'm just realizing this now.

I think you have a great chance here still! Keep your head up! As mentioned, MSUCOM only cares about stats. I.e., if someone with great stats is complete in September, he or she will be looked at before someone with average stats who was complete in July. There is no rhyme or reason sometimes to this medical school admissions process, so don't count yourself out yet.

Last edited:
So this is the week! A whole bunch of lucky people will receive acceptance calls this thursday and friday from MSUCOM!! I heard somewhere that they review around 50 applicants each time they meet, does that sound right?

The only disheartening aspect about this process is that it looks like MSUCOM doesn't care how early you submit your secondary, they only care about your stats. So even if you turned in your app in June 2014, they may only review it on Jan 2015! The adcom has already met 2 times in the past and in both times have ignored June submissions, so that tells you something.

Anyone know how many admissions offers MSUCOM students give to US applicants by the end of the cycle (July 2015)? Are a lot of applicants accepted off the waitlist? @johnamo
How do you know they ignored EVERYBODY who submitted in June?

Additionally, that would seem just a bit counterintuitive with the stats they provided about who has already been accepted, which seemed to be across a range of GPAs and MCAT scores.

We're not the admissions board, all we can do is speculate to the best of our ability, but that's all it is, speculation. I feel like a lot of people on this site get caught up in that. I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking your information (if you have a source, that'd be greatly appreciated).

How do you know they ignored EVERYBODY who submitted in June?

Additionally, that would seem just a bit counterintuitive with the stats they provided about who has already been accepted, which seemed to be across a range of GPAs and MCAT scores.

We're not the admissions board, all we can do is speculate to the best of our ability, but that's all it is, speculation. I feel like a lot of people on this site get caught up in that. I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking your information (if you have a source, that'd be greatly appreciated).

I don't know if they ignored everybody, I should say they ignored some june submissions (I know this through personal anecdotes from fellow applicants). Although they do seem to have accepted lower MCAT scores and GPA, that could be because those applicants were instate.

Yeah -- sorry, there's not a whole I can add! I'm not privy to the inside workings of admissions (nor would I share information that is not usually disseminated to applicants). I can only say with confidence that my application was reviewed and accepted about two months after I submitted. Exactly how they triage applicants is a process I do not know.

While it may be true that applications are not given a final decision in the order they are received, I'm sure most people would prefer a delayed "yes" after further comparison and consideration than an immediate "no"! MSUCOM does do rolling admissions and the season moves quickly due to the fact that very few people are historically interviewed... so the time you submit your application certainly does matter.

Our last e-mail update was in March where there had been just around 300 acceptances and 99% of those accepted had paid deposits. I'm not sure about how many more acceptances went out after that. I do know that there is some significant waitlist movement, though!

Though I know it's tough to hear, just be patient... I assure you that every application is thoroughly reviewed. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah -- sorry, there's not a whole I can add! I'm not privy to the inside workings of admissions (nor would I share information that is not usually disseminated to applicants). I can only say with confidence that my application was reviewed and accepted about two months after I submitted. Exactly how they triage applicants is a process I do not know.

While it may be true that applications are not given a final decision in the order they are received, I'm sure most people would prefer a delayed "yes" after further comparison and consideration than an immediate "no"! MSUCOM does do rolling admissions and the season moves quickly due to the fact that very few people are historically interviewed... so the time you submit your application certainly does matter.

Our last e-mail update was in March where there had been just around 300 acceptances and 99% of those accepted had paid deposits. I'm not sure about how many more acceptances went out after that. I do know that there is some significant waitlist movement, though!

Though I know it's tough to hear, just be patient... I assure you that every application is thoroughly reviewed. :)

Thank you for your kind response! MSUCOM also states on this website that it's goal is to have a full class by early December so I'm sure things will start picking up from now on.

" We will begin our selection process at the end
of August 2014 and will continue until mid-Spring 2015. Applications are reviewed by the
Admissions Committee based on the
combination of application completion
timeframe, academic achievement and
subjective factors (extracurricular activities,
volunteer experience, letters of
recommendation, and personal statements)."

From the August update email

My application status says complete in the portal too but I never received an email saying it was complete. I submitted my letters through interfolio and when I emailed them asking if they received my letters their secretary said they did. The portal just has a green checkmark next to my lor but nothing in the notes part. Did Robyn say something should be in the notes next to lor in the portal other than a green check mark?

has anyone gotten an interview so far from this school and isn't a resident of Michigan? went to college in Michigan or had a strong connection or tie with Michigan? For this cycle.

has anyone gotten an interview so far from this school and isn't a resident of Michigan? went to college in Michigan or had a strong connection or tie with Michigan? For this cycle.

MSUCOM typically doesn't conduct interviews.