Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe I missed it, but does MSUCOM send complete emails? Also, how long did it take to receive a decision after being marked complete?
No they do not....and I think that decisions vary depending on you r MCAT and GPA scores...I have been waiting since early July with a 29 MCAT and 3.9 GPA, but no dice so far

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@johnamo thank you for the thoughtful reply! I know you've only been at MSUCOM since June, but it is so helpful to hear from a student's perspective even if you feel like you're not the expert!

Also, I just double checked my inbox and I actually did receive a complete email after my final LOR arrived (about a week after I had paid and submitted my secondary).
No they do not....and I think that decisions vary depending on you r MCAT and GPA scores...I have been waiting since early July with a 29 MCAT and 3.9 GPA, but no dice so far

Reactions: 1 users
@johnamo thank you for the thoughtful reply! I know you've only been at MSUCOM since June, but it is so helpful to hear from a student's perspective even if you feel like you're not the expert!

Also, I just double checked my inbox and I actually did receive a complete email after my final LOR arrived (about a week after I had paid and submitted my secondary).
Hmm...that's odd. Maybe I deleted mine...

Members don't see this ad :)

I never received one... I wonder if I should check if my file is even complete...

Hmm...that's odd. Maybe I deleted mine...

I never received one... I wonder if I should check if my file is even complete...

Yeah, I dunno... my app was sent in June 25th so it's possible they got backlogged later in the summer and stopped sending them? Not sure when you were complete. I don't think it would hurt you to call and politely inquire just to double check! :)

For all the OOS applicants: are you all applying with the intent of paying 70k a year or is there some secret at MSU that allows you to get grants, residency, or something that I am unaware of?

I also received a complete email. Check that it didn't go to spam. I had an issue with emails from MSUCOM going to my spam folder.

For all the OOS applicants: are you all applying with the intent of paying 70k a year or is there some secret at MSU that allows you to get grants, residency, or something that I am unaware of?

OOS usually end up getting scholarships that lower the price a bit. But truth be told if I ended up in MSU I'll almost certainly do HPSP.

It's been a week since I submitted my LoRs through Interfolio and the portal still says they haven't received them. What could be the reason it takes them so long to update it?

Tuition is actually 80k+ for OOS

It's been a week since I submitted my LoRs through Interfolio and the portal still says they haven't received them. What could be the reason it takes them so long to update it?

Did you include your AACOMAS ID number, minus the dash when you sent the letters? If not, the system cannot recognize the delivery and it takes a while.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you. And wow, great stats! I can't imagine why you haven't heard anything considering 28+MCAT and 3.7+ GPA was their alleged starting point.

Many thanks to all of you who replied. Feels good to know there's still a group of us awaiting a complete status.

I just submitted my secondary yesterday as well as my LORs via Interfolio (sans the dash). So, sounds like I have a wait of at least one week.

I'm OOS and seriously considering this school regardless of the tuition. I will find a way to pay...I did it for undergrad lol

I'm wondering this as well. I'm OOS and hoping not to be paying 80K a year. I took a look at the scholarships on their website and the largest one I saw was $5,000 renewable each year. There are a few of these and apps are due by Januaryish. Any current OOS students able to comment?

Mine was complete immediately after I submitted the secondary. Maybe its different from case to case, and I included the dash when I sent it through interfolio. No idea how they handle things there lol

The next round of acceptance calls will go out in a week. Let's hope some of us here (including me!!) receive them.

Reactions: 2 users
So, sorry to beat a dead horse, but the "visit days" ARE actually exclusively for accepted students? I may just attend the open house day instead because it is sooner (and before the deposit deadline!!).

Question for you or @johnamo or anyone else, does MSUCOM have SIM labs? If not, is there any "clinical" exposure during the pre-clerkship curriculum? Also, how did you feel about the anatomy being prosected instead of dissection - all of the other schools I've interviewed have dissection, but I understand there are pros and cons to both!

I attended one of the visit days last year in Macomb. There were students from all over, accepted and still waiting. I'll most likely go again this year, hopefully with an acceptance though.

any canadians accepted here yet??

any canadians accepted here yet??
I think next week is the week they may start sending Canadian acceptances, good luck to the both of us!

Reactions: 2 users
I think next week is the week they may start sending Canadian acceptances, good luck to the both of us!
How dare you guys forget about me?)) Good luck)

How dare you guys forget about me?)) Good luck)
YOu don't need that luck OK ;)

I'd rather just know if they are sending out Canadian acceptances or not, even if I will probably get rejected- at least that way can move on to the next school without keeping hope

Good Luck to the Canadian's. I hope we all get in.

Good Luck to the Canadian's. I hope we all get in.
And to the vast majority of us who don't get in, lets hope they applied broadly!

25 seats with easily 100-200 applicants hah.

My secondary application was complete and at a later date I took my second MCAT. I released the score to AACOMAS through thx system and AACOMAS shows two MCAT scores. Do I need to take any further action for MSU to see that I have an updated MCAT score? Thanks in advance for any answers.

My secondary application was complete and at a later date I took my second MCAT. I released the score to AACOMAS through thx system and AACOMAS shows two MCAT scores. Do I need to take any further action for MSU to see that I have an updated MCAT score? Thanks in advance for any answers.
I would send them an update letter just incase

I would call admissions and let them know as well.

I believe 3 Canadians have been accepted so far...
Where did you hear that?

Haven't seen anyone post about it, and when I talked to admissions last week they said no Canadians have been reviewed yet. Someone you know recently get accepted?

Reactions: 1 users
How long does it usually take for COM to update the secondary with your letters after submitting them? I submitted mine on 9/23 and they haven't shown up on the secondary yet.

Hmm, I'm in that situation now lol. Have your letters been posted yet? Are you complete?

Where did you hear that?

Haven't seen anyone post about it, and when I talked to admissions last week they said no Canadians have been reviewed yet. Someone you know recently get accepted?

No, I don't have any Canadian friends applying.

My apologies...I just checked back among some of the posted acceptances and there's nothing from Canadians. I must have gotten that number from a different thread. Sorry to get you guys' hopes up :(

Hope we all hear something soon...

Do you have any idea the range of these scholarships? Like does it make a dent in the tuition? 20-30k or like 2k haha

The OOS scholarship is 25K..you get 12,500 for fall and 12,500 for spring semester

Make sure to contact the school early if you want to apply for the scholarship..they only give out a handful of them. When I applied, I had to write an essay for it.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! Has anyone gone about updating their MCAT score for MSUCOM?? Have you simply updated your score in their "upload files" tab and indicated what your new score was? Or did you just give admissions a call? Obviously I know our scores will be sent through AAMCS, but I just wanted to give them my updated/improved score ASAP while they were sending out acceptances this month. Any help would be appreciated :).

Thanks guys!!

Do any re-applicants know if it is possible to access last years application?

Do any re-applicants know if it is possible to access last years application?

For yourself? Or the adcoms?

If it's for yourself, just login using your AACOMAS ID# and "2014" at the end, instead of "2015". Hope you remember your password.

If you're a reapplicant, they will pull up your old file and see what you did in a year.

So, does the admissions committee meet again this week or next week?

Just got this email from MSUCOM as an update.

Greetings Applicants,

Welcome to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine application process. The Admissions Committee will meet bi-monthly and notifications of decisions will occur at any time between now and mid-Spring 2015. We plan to communicate with you monthly throughout the process with both admissions and event updates.

Applicant summary, as of 10/7/14

All AACOMAS Applicants: 4207
Accepted Applicants: 103
Seat Deposits Paid: 32
Canadian Offers: 0/25
MCAT range of accepted applicants: 26-35
Science GPA range of accepted applicants: 3.2-4.0

Be sure to check your online application status to ensure your file is complete. Please refer to our website for details on our upcoming open house events in Detroit, Macomb, and East Lansing.

Best wishes,

The Team at MSUCOM Admissions

I received the same email with a follow up email saying Canadian offers: 4/25

Yep...3rd email had different value for Canadian applicants though

Oh great catch. Gmail hid that from me. Heres the updated.

Greetings Applicants,

Welcome to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine application process. The Admissions Committee will meet bi-monthly and notifications of decisions will occur at any time between now and mid-Spring 2015. We plan to communicate with you monthly throughout the process with both admissions and event updates.

Applicant summary, as of 10/7/14

All AACOMAS Applicants: 4207
Accepted Applicants: 103
Seat Deposits Paid: 32
Canadian Offers: 4/25
MCAT range of accepted applicants: 26-35
Science GPA range of accepted applicants: 3.2-4.0

Be sure to check your online application status to ensure your file is complete. Please refer to our website for details on our upcoming open house events in Detroit, Macomb, and East Lansing.

Best wishes,

The Team at MSUCOM Admissions

So how does COM contact accepted applicants? I've heard so many different things!