Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So how does COM contact accepted applicants? I've heard so many different things!
Phone call (often same day as adcom mtg)
-> email (within a few days)
---> mailed packet (I believe timing depends on when you were accepted since they're sent in batches).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Still havent heard anything for interview invite from this school except regular update emails regarding number of applicants accepted and deposits. :/.... so tough here

Still havent heard anything for interview invite from this school except regular update emails regarding number of applicants accepted and deposits. :/.... so tough here

MSUCOM doesn't interview most applicants, so that definitely doesn't mean bad news! Just gotta sit tight and distract yourself haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have a question, and maybe this has happened to other people as well. My LOR's were unsuccessfully uploading to the website. I submitted my letters early August and only now am I considered to be completed after several emails with MSU and Interfolio. Will I get looked at sooner since my application should have been viewed quite awhile ago? Apparently both MSU and Interfolio said issues were going on so this wasn't just me this was happening to.

From my understanding they aren't going by complete dates but by numbers, looking at highests GPA/MCAT/volunteer hours so you may have been viewed a while ago or you may not have depending on your numbers.

To the 4 Canadians accepted so far, share with the rest of us your deeets :p Congrats though!

So, sorry to beat a dead horse, but the "visit days" ARE actually exclusively for accepted students? I may just attend the open house day instead because it is sooner (and before the deposit deadline!!).

Question for you or @johnamo or anyone else, does MSUCOM have SIM labs? If not, is there any "clinical" exposure during the pre-clerkship curriculum? Also, how did you feel about the anatomy being prosected instead of dissection - all of the other schools I've interviewed have dissection, but I understand there are pros and cons to both!

Yeah, like I said, I never went to a visit day. So you probably know more than me about the difference between that and an open house. lol They honestly haven't said much about anything to do with a SIM lab. We very well could have something available. I would definitely ask at the open house or visit day if you end up going. I know our anatomy professor told us over the summer that some of our clinical skills as second years like intubation, central lines, etc. are done on some of the cadavers. Also, the different clubs at MSUCOM have skills clinics where they will teach you how to do some of these things as well. Pretty neat! Not sure if that helps at all. I personally will be signing up for the prosection elective course this summer. I felt like it was something I wanted to get out of the anatomy. But I will tell you, it is nice for the people who don't have any interest in a surgical specialty. It is a very time consuming process and with the amount of information they expect you to learn for the exams, I can't even imagine the extra stress. I guess our anatomy course is quite rigorous compared to a lot of schools (just what I have heard) because it is the only course we take in the summer. So, they can make it a heavier load. Where as for CHM, they take anatomy along with other courses. But, don't quote me on that statement. It could be completely wrong. haha The clinical exposure is our "community integrated medicine" elective. You are able to give flu shots, help at health fairs, and volunteer at approved free clinics. For the health fairs, we take the blood sugar and get the cholesterol for the patient along with vitals. We can also counsel them on nutrition. It is a pretty sweet opportunity as a first and second year student (Which I think johnamo may have mentioned this in a previous post). You can also join the International Osteopathic Medicine Organization where you can go on mission trips in different countries like Peru, Turkey, and Brazil. These trips allow you to work with doctors in a clinic that they set up temporarily. All of the second years who I know went on a trip have said nothing but good things about the amount of clinical exposure they were able to get prior to rotations. Overall, I can't say enough about how welcoming this school is and they make you feel like less of a number. I have loved all of my classmates and there isn't a person I can't strike up a conversation with while at school even if we don't necessarily hang out outside of class. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! And that goes for anyone else reading this post as well :) I know I had a ton of questions!!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, like I said, I never went to a visit day. So you probably know more than me about the difference between that and an open house. lol They honestly haven't said much about anything to do with a SIM lab. We very well could have something available. I would definitely ask at the open house or visit day if you end up going. I know our anatomy professor told us over the summer that some of our clinical skills as second years like intubation, central lines, etc. are done on some of the cadavers. Also, the different clubs at MSUCOM have skills clinics where they will teach you how to do some of these things as well. Pretty neat! Not sure if that helps at all. I personally will be signing up for the prosection elective course this summer. I felt like it was something I wanted to get out of the anatomy. But I will tell you, it is nice for the people who don't have any interest in a surgical specialty. It is a very time consuming process and with the amount of information they expect you to learn for the exams, I can't even imagine the extra stress. I guess our anatomy course is quite rigorous compared to a lot of schools (just what I have heard) because it is the only course we take in the summer. So, they can make it a heavier load. Where as for CHM, they take anatomy along with other courses. But, don't quote me on that statement. It could be completely wrong. haha The clinical exposure is our "community integrated medicine" elective. You are able to give flu shots, help at health fairs, and volunteer at approved free clinics. For the health fairs, we take the blood sugar and get the cholesterol for the patient along with vitals. We can also counsel them on nutrition. It is a pretty sweet opportunity as a first and second year student (Which I think johnamo may have mentioned this in a previous post). You can also join the International Osteopathic Medicine Organization where you can go on mission trips in different countries like Peru, Turkey, and Brazil. These trips allow you to work with doctors in a clinic that they set up temporarily. All of the second years who I know went on a trip have said nothing but good things about the amount of clinical exposure they were able to get prior to rotations. Overall, I can't say enough about how welcoming this school is and they make you feel like less of a number. I have loved all of my classmates and there isn't a person I can't strike up a conversation with while at school even if we don't necessarily hang out outside of class. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! And that goes for anyone else reading this post as well :) I know I had a ton of questions!!
That isn't your dog in your picture -- is it? Geeze, I want a pet.

That isn't your dog in your picture -- is it? Geeze, I want a pet.
hahahah no she is a Brittany spaniel. But, she is covered in mud like that at the moment... stupid rain. Also, you need to just get an older dog.. you do live alone! Keep you safe? lol

hahahah no she is a Brittany spaniel. But, she is covered in mud like that at the moment... stupid rain. Also, you need to just get an older dog.. you do live alone! Keep you safe? lol
Haha... I went from wanting a dog to cat to dog to rabbit and back to dog. Maybe a small one like a cavalier king charles spaniel or mini schnauzer... easier to hide in my apartment. ;)

Today's the day for more phone calls, right? I hope we all get good news! :)

Today's the day for more phone calls, right? I hope we all get good news! :)

It's been two weeks since the last batch of phone calls, so today some folks should hear. I think, going by their released number of acceptances and the number of meetings, about 30 people could get phone calls this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go into every other Thursday expecting nothing, and everything...

Reactions: 3 users
Best wishes to everyone waiting anxiously today... I know I am

Reactions: 1 users
I've been following this thread forever, but I just got the call!!! Good luck everyone!!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
Staring at my phone all day. Wonder when the last calls go out.

Thanks! 26, 3.8, IS

Do you have some kind of stand out extracurriculars or something? 26 is a little bit below their average of 28.
Averages are just that -- averages. MSUCOM accepts a pretty wide range of numbers (I personally had a huge discrepancy between my MCAT and GPA). As the last update e-mail showed, 26-35 and 3.2-4.0 is pretty broad. I know it's a cliche, but they really do look at a lot more than numbers.

Reactions: 5 users
I believe the first thing I said was congratulations? Just trying to find a little rhyme and reason to this application game, certainly not trying to hate.

Lol no worries, nothing can bring me down now. But yes I'm a research assistant, work as a patient care technician at a hospital, and do mission work in Haiti! Mcat practice tests were awesome but I panicked and lost it on the actual day. Stats aren't everything luckily !!!

Lol no worries, nothing can bring me down now. But yes I'm a research assistant, work as a patient care technician at a hospital, and do mission work in Haiti! Mcat practice tests were awesome but I panicked and lost it on the actual day. Stats aren't everything luckily !!!

Don't worry. You will do great :) Welcome aboard!! We are super excited to meet everyone come June! Woo!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if there are going to be any calls/acceptances going out today? seems like yesterday there werent that many

I am applying to the DO/PhD program. My impression was that if you go through the initial screening (interview) by Dr. McCormick and if you are recommended to apply to the graduate program then you will most likely be accepted into the medical school. Is anyone else applying to the DO/PhD program? There doesn't seem to be much talk about that here.

Last edited:
You guys think it is too late to apply here?

You guys think it is too late to apply here?

Maybe, maybe not. I actually just submitted my primary for them and am currently working on their secondary. From what I've read, though they prefer their apps in by Sept., it seems like they're not necessarily going by complete dates, and are instead taking a look at MCAT, GPA, and ECs combo to send out acceptances. So maybe we still stand a chance. Doesn't hurt to apply! Good Luck!

Apply anyway. I know $100 can be a lot, but the only way to guarantee you're not going to be in the 2015 class is by not applying. Good luck!

Good point. I will be submitting for sure. Got 2 more secondary questions to answer. This legacy....

Trying to figure out how to attend the See the Sites events on Nov 1 and go to the Michigan-Indiana game... Lol

So only one acceptance went out last week? (At least here on SDN)

So only one acceptance went out last week? (At least here on SDN)

Someone from my university got accepted this past week too, not sure what her stats were or anything though. Our pre-med advisor sends out updates to us when people tell him they were accepted.

Hi all,

New to SDN. I submitted my secondary to MSUCOM and was complete last week.

I am hoping any one can help me with a few questions:

1) I realized that I did not have any section to put my shadowing experiences on my secondary and called the office today. The told me that I should have a separate tab to include my shadowing in, which I do not have. They are working on this technical issue. Is this were you guys put shadowing experiences? I also saw a section in the personal profile tab where you can add medically-related shadowing or clinical experiences. I originally thought this was only for D.O. clinical experiences.

2) Where did you guys add employment positions in you secondary?

3) Did any one use the "Upload Files" section to add a document that explains any poor academic grades?

Thank you all for your help. Wishing you all the best in this process.

Hi all,

New to SDN. I submitted my secondary to MSUCOM and was complete last week.

I am hoping any one can help me with a few questions:

1) I realized that I did not have any section to put my shadowing experiences on my secondary and called the office today. The told me that I should have a separate tab to include my shadowing in, which I do not have. They are working on this technical issue. Is this were you guys put shadowing experiences? I also saw a section in the personal profile tab where you can add medically-related shadowing or clinical experiences. I originally thought this was only for D.O. clinical experiences.

2) Where did you guys add employment positions in you secondary?

3) Did any one use the "Upload Files" section to add a document that explains any poor academic grades?

Thank you all for your help. Wishing you all the best in this process.
I put my jobs and stuff like that in my primary and just added to my secondary. What's the point of putting it twice when they look at both

A few Canadians were accepted
Do you mind sharing where you got that information? I know 4 people were accepted prior to last week's acceptance (according to the email) but I haven't seen any other Canadian acceptance (at least here on SDN). Thanks!