Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received a wait list email today. Does anyone know if MSUCOM still does preferred wait list on top of the regular wait list?

I didn't know they sent out wait list emails this early.

Members don't see this ad.

the tab is gone for me also. Guess they got so many calls from students freaking out that they decided to just change it. Now its proabably going to freak even more people

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
any other canadians having trouble with accepting the offer; since we can't fill in our visa number/ type yet without an I-20 (which are required fields to submit)? Should we just list it as N/A first until we get issued an I-20 (getting $80+k as for financial proof is going to take a while lol) ?

I've been complete since August 18th, and haven't heard anything since then. The monthly updates are the only correspondence I have had in the last 2 months. This has probably been answered already, but will they notify us if we are rejected? This waiting game gets rough if you have no idea when they're going to review your application and make a decision.

I've been complete since August 18th, and haven't heard anything since then. The monthly updates are the only correspondence I have had in the last 2 months. This has probably been answered already, but will they notify us if we are rejected? This waiting game gets rough if you have no idea when they're going to review your application and make a decision.

Haven't heard since June lol. I think I got wait listed. You'll know in December, before the deposit deadline.

Haven't heard since June lol. I think I got wait listed. You'll know in December, before the deposit deadline.
I'm in the same position. But apparently they're sending waitlist emails. So who knows. Sometimes I wonder if they lost mine.

You could hear about being on the wait list basically throughout the app cycle. I wasn't put on the wait list until February and I had been complete that previous August. I really don't think there is a certain deadline they have to inform people of being on the wait list. I am not sure when they tell you if you are rejected or not.. But, from personal experience, it is better to hear nothing from them (or wait list for the matter) because it means they are still considering you as a candidate. I think you just have to come realize that this waiting game happens for everyone unless you have stellar stats/ECs. It sucks. We are a lot of Type As who can't stand having something out of our control haha I get it. But, also realize it is super early in the app cycle. I had classmates get accepted the week before we started orientation. It does happen. It is stressful I am sure, but hey, you got that acceptance! So, hang in there and keep perfecting your app for next year if it comes to re-applying. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
So I got my second MCAT scores back today. I did not do as good as my first one. On my MSUCOM secondary I noted that I was retaking it in the "Additional Information" section. I'm assuming they're expecting the results from this MCAT before they make a decision. Should I still send this MCAT's scores to them even if they're worse (I improved in one section, though)? How does MSUCOM look at multiple MCATs; do they take the higher one or average them?

So I got my second MCAT scores back today. I did not do as good as my first one. On my MSUCOM secondary I noted that I was retaking it in the "Additional Information" section. I'm assuming they're expecting the results from this MCAT before they make a decision. Should I still send this MCAT's scores to them even if they're worse (I improved in one section, though)? How does MSUCOM look at multiple MCATs; do they take the higher one or average them?
Last I heard, only the highest composite was considered... so you should be okay. :)

However, it seems like they're perpetually changing things in admissions, so it never hurts to give 'em a call or shoot them an e-mail to be sure.

Edit: They do say that they sometimes "Hold Applicant for MCAT Results", so it's probably best to update them regardless.

Last edited:
Canadian citizen here, got accepted on friday. How is everybody planning on dealing with the loans by the way? This questions is mostly for all the OOS and Canucks.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats like? And when was your file marked complete?

I'm just trying to get an idea about where I stand.

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know when in the month the committee meets to look review applications? I think I read somewhere on the MSUCOM website that they do it twice a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they meet tomorrow

Reactions: 1 users

It depends on what your scores were. From speaking to the counseling office they told me that they don't accept applicants with anything less than an 8 in any section on the mcat. if you scored an 8 or higher on all of the sections then ya why not send it in buddy!!! they will at least see that youre dedicated to improving your app and might like that even more than the actual score

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats like? And when was your file marked complete?

I'm just trying to get an idea about where I stand.

Thanks in advance!

Im not sure when my file was marked complete but im thinking it was sometime early september, my stats are mcat30 sgpa 3.8 ogpa 3.8 student athlete. Good luck!

It depends on what your scores were. From speaking to the counseling office they told me that they don't accept applicants with anything less than an 8 in any section on the mcat. if you scored an 8 or higher on all of the sections then ya why not send it in buddy!!! they will at least see that youre dedicated to improving your app and might like that even more than the actual score

I was accepted in September and got a 7 on my physical sciences section. I also met with an admissions councilor over the summer and specifically asked if they accepted anything below an 8 and she said they do not have any sub-section minimums. So that may have been the case in past years but that for sure is not the case now.

Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted in September and got a 7 on my physical sciences section. I also met with an admissions councilor over the summer and specifically asked if they accepted anything below an 8 and she said they do not have any sub-section minimums. So that may have been the case in past years but that for sure is not the case now.

+1

Good, because my higher MCAT score has a 7 in PS.

Any of you guys attending the EL open house in November? Look forward to meeting some of you then if so!

I will most likely be there.

Good, because my higher MCAT score has a 7 in PS.

I will most likely be there.

When I met with admissions last spring (and asked about my atrocious PS score) the counselor said that they are a little more lenient on PS because verbal and bio are better indicators of how you'll perform in school and on boards. She still, however, encouraged me to retake. So I did. And today I'll be watching my phone. Come on MSU! Call me.

Reactions: 1 users
anyone got calls yet? I feel like i sit with my phone right next to me every other Thursday now for the last 3 times

Reactions: 5 users
At work... Just waiting. It's prolly not gonna happen though. :(

same here at work. I just got a call and I jumped out of my seat to realize it was a sales guy....

Where can we find info on the East Lansing open house? Is that open to everyone or just accepted students?

Anyone applying to the DO/PhD program or already accepted, Can you help me out here:
1. If you have been interviewed for the dual degree program and recommended to apply to grad programs, does this mean a guranteed medical school acceptance?
2. If you get accepted into graduate school then do you get automatically accepted into the DO/PhD program or is there another formal interview process for that?
3. How specific are you in your research project description for grad school in your Statement Of Purpose?
4. Finally, how established is the program at MSU? Is there support from advisors through your progression in the program?

I have been interviewed via skype and recommended to apply to grad schools, which is what I am working on atm.

The committee met today and I have received an acceptance!!!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Just got the call today! Got admitted!!

Complete 8/17

Reactions: 6 users
congrats guys...guess another week no calls....

congrats guys...guess another week no calls....
They did say that they weren't able to make any calls this morning, so maybe they'll be doing calls tomorrow too. Keep your head up.

My phone rang, my heart stopped.

It was my sister-in-law... :(

I've given up hope with this school

waitlisted...better than rejection I guess. It says go to admissions to accept or decline but there is no link...so where do I accept or decline the offer?

waitlisted...better than rejection I guess. It says go to admissions to accept or decline but there is no link...so where do I accept or decline the offer?
That still deserves a congrats. Do you mind sharing stats?

Canadian, rejection email. 3.6 sGPA 30MCAT, and strong ECs.
Ah well, would have been nice to be accepted, but would have attended elsewhere anyways because of tuition.

Canadian, rejection email. 3.6 sGPA 30MCAT, and strong ECs.
Ah well, would have been nice to be accepted, but would have attended elsewhere anyways because of tuition.
Did they tell you why? I am really surprised you got rejected that those stats, being a Canadian myself.

Did they tell you why? I am really surprised you got rejected that those stats, being a Canadian myself.
To be fair, my sGPA is only that high because of grade replacement. I replaced 5 freshman courses that I did poorly in 6 years ago. Otherwise my sGPA would have been 3.2ish.

That's okay though, there are alot of strong Canadian applicants this cycle! Best of luck to all of you :) I am sure if you are waitlisted as a Canadian, you have strong chances. I'm sure many accepted Canadians may get into Canada or go to a cheaper school - so if MSU is your top choice, don't lose hope :)

To be fair, my sGPA is only that high because of grade replacement. I replaced 5 freshman courses that I did poorly in 6 years ago. Otherwise my sGPA would have been 3.2ish.

That's okay though, there are alot of strong Canadian applicants this cycle! Best of luck to all of you :) I am sure if you are waitlisted as a Canadian, you have strong chances. I'm sure many accepted Canadians may get into Canada or go to a cheaper school - so if MSU is your top choice, don't lose hope :)
Thanks! I've only been recently completed, and seeing the 25 spots filling up fast is freaking me out. Will just have to wait patiently I suppose.

Thanks! I've only been recently completed, and seeing the 25 spots filling up fast is freaking me out. Will just have to wait patiently I suppose.

you'll be fine. Sorry i stalked your messages, and with a 37 MCAT, im sure ull get invites everywhere (as long as you have some solid EC's). It took MSUCOM about a month and a half to get back to me, so give it some time. :)

you'll be fine. Sorry i stalked your messages, and with a 37 MCAT, im sure ull get invites everywhere (as long as you have some solid EC's). It took MSUCOM about a month and a half to get back to me, so give it some time. :)
Thanks for the encouragement. My GPA is a bit low though, so will see how it turns out. Hopefully I will get some news before December.

One of my Canadian friends got in off the wait list this past March, you might have to be patient lol.

has anyone here been to the campus? how are the facilities? I dont think i will be able to make it out to the open house...

has anyone here been to the campus? how are the facilities? I dont think i will be able to make it out to the open house...
I'm touring the Macomb campus tomorrow with a current student. I'll let you guys know how it looks :)

I sure hope they will be making some acceptance calls today as well... here's hoping!

Congrats !! Do you mind sharing your stats for the rest of us !!! :)

CGPA: 3.45, SGPA: 3.38, includes Medical Sciences masters, 31 MCAT (10, 11, 10), in state, AmeriCorps alumni, former MSUCOM standardized patient.

I used to work at the DMC location as a standardized patient and anatomy lab monitor. Everything at the DMC is pretty new, classrooms have really comfy chairs and big polycom screens. The lab is large and well ventilated. The building is attached to the Kresge Eye Institute, but MSUCOM has their own wing. It's very secure, and the guards are really nice folks. I once met Wesley Snipes there.

I went to the East Lansing location last spring for an information day. Although I didn't get a full tour, it has more of a university feel. You know, because it's at a university. Although I didn't sit in on a regular lecture, I observed (and got to participate in!) an OMM lab. They have standard tables. The format had one head teacher giving a quick lecture and then they had smaller group instructors to demonstrate and help with questions.

They start standardized patient "clinical" visits in the first year, learning how to gather information, provide information/diagnoses, and how to employ motivational interviewing to facilitate behavior change.

All of my experiences with MSU have been fantastic. I am thrilled to become a student!