Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anybody that was accepted yesterday received an email yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Any other canadians been accepted? If so message me I have a few questions for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you receive an email for acceptance as well?

I haven't yet, but Anne told me yesterday that I should expect to get an email today with more information. I haven't received that yet, so I was just wondering if anyone else has.

Accepted today!!
I was at work when I got the call, but I also got an email.

Complete August 16th
Congrats!!!! Seems like MSUCOM does phone calls Thursdays and Fridays

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today!!
I was at work when I got the call, but I also got an email.

Complete August 16th
Congratulations! Do you mind my asking, what were your stats like and are you still in undergrad or have you already graduated?

Is there a facebook group for MSUCOM Class of 2019?

My roommate was accepted!!

I interviewed last Friday. Denied for the program.
This was for the D.O./Ph.D program though. It was an amazing opportunity and the interview went phenomenal. At the end though, they told me the applicants in front of me all had Masters degrees and had exceptionally high G.P.A's. This put me towards the bottom of the list. You have to be accepted to D.O. side, then apply Ph.D side for this program, and they didn't think I would get through the Ph.D. application and didn't want me to waste my money. Dr. McCormmick and Ms. Bethany Heinlen were extremely nice and encouraging people.

They do not interview here, yes, but that's not entirely true. Every year they may interview ~15 applicants. Those are ones they want to meet in person because they just aren't sure. So it can be a good thing if they do offer an interview first. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Out of curiosity has anyone gotten an update email of people accepted and seat deposits ? or should I just abandon all hope at this point

Out of curiosity has anyone gotten an update email of people accepted and seat deposits ? or should I just abandon all hope at this point

I know how depressing it can be when you keep waiting and stress over not hearing anything. BUT, I cannot stress enough that it is pretty early in the game. Please don't give up hope in November. There is still so much time left. I know exactly how you are feeling. I was in your shoes last year. Try to get involved in something you are passionate about while you wait to keep your mind off of the application cycle. I was accepted in April. Hang in there!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know how depressing it can be when you keep waiting and stress over not hearing anything. BUT, I cannot stress enough that it is pretty early in the game. Please don't give up hope in November. There is still so much time left. I know exactly how you are feeling. I was in your shoes last year. Try to get involved in something you are passionate about while you wait to keep your mind off of the application cycle. I was accepted in April. Hang in there!
xc1591 i appreciate the positive support, it just feels odd that i have nothing planned out for the first time in my life.

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone who hasn't heard back yet, hang in there. I submitted my application in late August of last year and didn't hear back until December. There is still plenty of time.

Last edited:
xc1591 i appreciate the positive support, it just feels odd that i have nothing planned out for the first time in my life.

Yes, generally the people who get accepted to medical school are hardcore planners. I am for sure this person. I think it was one of those things that bothered me more because I had no control over what was going to happen to my future. I guess it's just one of those hurdles that everyone has to jump over! I am not sure your location, but maybe you could go to a site visit? If you haven't already of course.

Yes, generally the people who get accepted to medical school are hardcore planners. I am for sure this person. I think it was one of those things that bothered me more because I had no control over what was going to happen to my future. I guess it's just one of those hurdles that everyone has to jump over! I am not sure your location, but maybe you could go to a site visit? If you haven't already of course.
Ive actually met with Anne Snyder a few times, she helped me start my own out reach program in Mt. Clemens Michigan and She said she was going to show me around the Macomb campus but hasn't gotten back to me yet .

I have not had a chance to visit each campus yet. Can someone provide some information about each campus (pros/cons, what type of facilities does each provide)?

If this has been answered already, please let me know where I can find it.
This is based on my limited understanding of the Macomb and DMC sites (anyone who has visited them knows more than I do), but here goes...

Each site has:
1) Gross anatomy lab.
2) Study space/computer lab.
3) Classrooms.
4) Histo lab.
5) OMM lab.

EL additions, pros/cons:
1) Sim lab.
2) MSU campus with lots of research, athletics, students, events, etc.
3) Most of the faculty and staff.
4) No convenient/cheap/easy parking. :(
5) Like any established university, some facilities are pretty old.
6) ~200 students/class.
7) Nearby housing can be expensive.

DMC/Macomb pros/cons
1) New facilities.
2) Convenient free* parking (* I think).
3) ~50 students/class/site.
4) Reasonable housing prices nearby.

Any specific questions you might have? All the sites are good -- much of it boils down to lifestyle preference! Please, particularly anyone at or who has visited DMC/Macomb, feel free to add to this.

Does anyone know the COMLEX and/or USMLE scores for MSU-COM?

http://com.msu.edu/Students/Registrar/Boards and Prep.htm

That is the best I could find on our website. I can't remember exactly where the scores for Level 1 are. I do know that the pass rate is quite high for MSUCOM. Most people pass. But, I also heard from some of the residents who have come to talk to us that you shouldn't freak out if you fail the first time (obviously not ideal). You can still get a residency. Hope this helps!

This is based on my limited understanding of the Macomb and DMC sites (anyone who has visited them knows more than I do), but here goes...

Each site has:
1) Gross anatomy lab.
2) Study space/computer lab.
3) Classrooms.
4) Histo lab.
5) OMM lab.

EL additions, pros/cons:
1) Sim lab.
2) MSU campus with lots of research, athletics, students, events, etc.
3) Most of the faculty and staff.
4) No convenient/cheap/easy parking. :(
5) Like any established university, some facilities are pretty old.
6) ~200 students/class.
7) Nearby housing can be expensive.

DMC/Macomb pros/cons
1) New facilities.
2) Convenient free* parking (* I think).
3) ~50 students/class/site.
4) Reasonable housing prices nearby.

Any specific questions you might have? All the sites are good -- much of it boils down to lifestyle preference! Please, particularly anyone at or who has visited DMC/Macomb, feel free to add to this.

For parking, you have to pay per semester at DMC. Macomb is metro-Detroit (suburbia) so there are tons of shops/restaurants/lakes/trails/etc.

I have not had a chance to visit each campus yet. Can someone provide some information about each campus (pros/cons, what type of facilities does each provide)?

If this has been answered already, please let me know where I can find it.

I have a lengthy post on page 19 of this thread regarding comments about both of the sites, not really east lansing though. I toured with Anne at both rather than attending the "see the sites" in one day.

those who have been accepted, what are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

I have a lengthy post on page 19 of this thread regarding comments about both of the sites, not really east lansing though. I toured with Anne at both rather than attending the "see the sites" in one day.

How did you set up a personal tour for the sites? I wasn't even aware that was an option for interested individuals.

How did you set up a personal tour for the sites? I wasn't even aware that was an option for interested individuals.

Well I was only able to arrange this tour after I was accepted and mostly because I couldn't attend the "see the sites" on that given date.

I applied a few weeks ago and Im IS with a 26 MCAT and 3.84 GPA with some pretty decent ECs (240h nursing home, not too much research, am currently a learning facilitator for a class ) Not a URM, and I think Im a little bit late for the game, do I have a remote chance?

I'm also wondering about my chances... In-state, 26 MCAT (8/10/8), 3.65 GPA from an academically rigorous school, strong letters of rec, strong extra curriculars with multiple leadership positions, researched as an undergrad, 200+ volunteer hours in a hospital and still volunteering on a weekly basis.

I got the East Lansing open house invite too. Just trying to figure out if I should drive it from northern Illinois in possibly awful weather. Anyone else from northern Illinois driving there??

I got the East Lansing open house invite too. Just trying to figure out if I should drive it from northern Illinois in possibly awful weather. Anyone else from northern Illinois driving there??

Unless you're dead set on going here, I wouldn't drive in the first big snowstorm in Michigan. There will be plenty of opportunities to visit in the spring.

Unless you're dead set on going here, I wouldn't drive in the first big snowstorm in Michigan. There will be plenty of opportunities to visit in the spring.
Oh wow. Is there really supposed to be a massive snowstorm there??

Im wondering if anyone knows if the EL openhouse this Friday is different than the open houses that they had at the Macomb/DMC campuses a few weeks ago? I went to the DMC one and have since been accepted, now Ann is telling me that I should attend the EL openhouse this Friday as well.....I have another obligation that I would have to cancel if I went so I'm not sure if it will be worth the drive if it is the same as the other session.

Well it is a tour of the East Lansing campus...which is very different from the DMC and Macomb locations. She probably advised you to attend the EL to check it out and see what your preference is. Ultimately, it is up to you. I don't think you have to inform them that you aren't attending the open house.

Does anyone know if more acceptances will be given this Thurs/Fri?

It should be around that time now, I hope for the best for myself and everyone else on this thread.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys and gals, I 'm a first year here at MSUCOM just about to wrap my second semester ... I was wait-listed last year until April 30th (so accepted pretty late in the game) and I am also switching campuses from EL to DMC next semester ..... SO, if you have any questions about location, the curriculum or the application process please feel free to hit me up!

Good luck and congrats to all the future spartans #GoGreen

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys and gals, I 'm a first year here at MSUCOM just about to wrap my second semester ... I was wait-listed last year until April 30th (so accepted pretty late in the game) and I am also switching campuses from EL to DMC next semester ..... SO, if you have any questions about location, the curriculum or the application process please feel free to hit me up!

Good luck and congrats to all the future spartans #GoGreen

Just out of curiosity, why are you switching from EL to the DMC?

Here's to another day of staring at our phones... Hopefully today we'll actually get something other than disappointment out of it!

Reactions: 1 users
I know this is kind of a silly question but for the open house should we dress to the nines as if it's an interview? Or a little more casual?

Casual. Obviously don't wear sweatpants, but jeans and a nice sweater would do.

I will be happy if I receive an acceptance call today. I will be even happier if everyone waiting here receives that acceptance call as well. I will be sending positive vibes into the universe for all of us.

Does anybody think that not attending these open houses or visit days is at all detrimental for our applications? I know this is good old premed neuroticism at its best, but I've had other commitments on every scheduled event and an application given nothing but silence since June

Lol these emails about open houses on Thursdays are giving me heart attacks.