Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone actually been denied from MSUCOM? Maybe I've missed it (or maybe people just don't post that they've been denied) but i'm just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
quick question for students who have paid their deposits.
Has anyone received their student identifiers yet? I.e. your net id, APID/PAN, e-mail, etc. I paid my deposit a few weeks ago and have yet to receive any updates.

And question for the Canadians:
Anybody received an I-20 form yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Considering that the final day for deposits is Dec 2nd many of us should be hearing something this week. God speed to everyone :bow:

Deposit is due on January 9th, 2015.
Unless people who were accepted earlier have an earlier date than I do?
My friend that was accepted last year around September told me his was due in the beginning of December. I could be wrong though. Are you going to attend MSUCOM?

I have not made a final decision yet, but it is very likely. I am planning on paying the deposit.

I toured Detroit and Macomb campuses (have not made it out to East Lansing yet) and I loved both. I would be very happy to attend here!

MSUCOM is a great school, especially if your an instate student. Just waiting on a replay now ..... +pity+

Probably. Who knows. Like you said no one is willing to just blurt out they were rejected.

I was rejected 10/23. 3.8 GPA undergrad and masters. 35MCAT. Gonna make an appointment to find out why. Im thinking it's because I lack DO experiences.

I was rejected 10/23. 3.8 GPA undergrad and masters. 35MCAT. Gonna make an appointment to find out why. Im thinking it's because I lack DO experiences.
Sorry to hear that, and best of luck elsewhere! Lacking DO experience in and of itself is unlikely to get you a rejection, though I expect a poor fit -- If no DO contact is representative of a more pervasive theme of disinterest in osteopathic medicine -- could be to blame. Otherwise maybe you have a red flag that couldn't be overlooked?

Basically, I expect there is more to the story than just lacking DO experience.

An alternative is that they're simply trying to protect yield numbers... but I don't really buy into the "rejected for being too good" theory.

Last edited:
quick question for students who have paid their deposits.
Has anyone received their student identifiers yet? I.e. your net id, APID/PAN, e-mail, etc. I paid my deposit a few weeks ago and have yet to receive any updates.

And question for the Canadians:
Anybody received an I-20 form yet?

I paid my deposit in late October and have yet to receive any student identifiers. My deposit due date is December 5th. Apparently, it takes a bit of time to process the official graduate student application that is filled out after one is accepted. I just don't know how long it exactly takes...but it has been some time. o_O

Hoping for a decision soon! But i was complete around November 11th due to waiting for my physician letter. I sent an update last week.

I'm afraid that I may be rejected (or not hear back) because I too do not have experience shadowing a DO, and do not have a DO letter. I am working on finding a DO to shadow however!

Any idea how the admissions committee feels about update letters?

I was complete roughly a month ago, but I want to update my GPA/volunteer and work hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea how the admissions committee feels about update letters?

I was complete roughly a month ago, but I want to update my GPA/volunteer and work hours.
My opinion is that update letters don't usually do much... but additional completed coursework (if it's substantial) is as good a reason as any to send one. With that, it doesn't hurt to lump in volunteer/work updates as well.

Last edited:
So I was browsing online and came across e-books on MSU library resources. Do MSU medical students have access to all the textbooks for free as e-books? Can a current student answer that?

So I was browsing online and came across e-books on MSU library resources. Do MSU medical students have access to all the textbooks for free as e-books? Can a current student answer that?
Well, seems like I'm overwhelming this thread a bit... but yes! MSU libraries gives us access to most (if not all) textbooks online. For example - from the one page I'm looking at now - there's access to 5 anatomy books, 4 biochem books, 2 histology books, 3 micro books, and on and on for each core subject. We were also given a free hard copy of the Thieme anatomy atlas at the beginning of the summer.

However, because we have such thorough coursepacks, I rarely ever look at books -- though of course this depends on your learning style. The only books I have ended up purchasing so far (out of 11 classes we've worked our way through) were those for Histology and Patient Care (Bates' Guide)... which are both also available online.

Last edited:
Well, seems like I'm overwhelming this thread a bit... but yes! MSU libraries gives us access to most (if not all) textbooks online. For example - from the one page I'm looking at now - there's access to 5 anatomy books, 4 biochem books, 2 histology books, 3 micro books, and on and on for each core subject. We were also given a free hard copy of the Thieme anatomy atlas at the beginning of the summer.

However, because we have such thorough coursepacks, I rarely ever look at books -- though of course this depends on your learning style. The only books I have ended up purchasing so far (out of 11 classes we've worked our way through) were those for Histology and Patient Care (Bates' Guide)... which are both also available online.
Thanks a lot for answering. Seems like a great area to save some money. I love reading e-books on tablets and I do understand that some are just better on hardcopy.

Thanks a lot for answering. Seems like a great area to save some money. I love reading e-books on tablets and I do understand that some are just better on hardcopy.
Not a problem.

Yep, it certainly saves a good chunk of money (and space!). Though I don't use 'em much, I have each current textbook bookmarked on my tablet for easy access. Pretty convenient.

Attachments

• ynE-yes-i-know-there-s-a-deposit.jpg
    ynE-yes-i-know-there-s-a-deposit.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who is attending the tour on Friday (tomorrow, December 5th), what are y'all wearing?

Has anyone heard anything yet? Here's to more waiting. Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone who is attending the tour on Friday (tomorrow, December 5th), what are y'all wearing?

I actually asked them that on the phone. business casual is fine. I might not even wear a tie :banana:

Are you going to park in Lot 100 and walk to Fee Hall? Do you know where we meet?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to be there tomorrow too, and I was wondering the same thing, actually. I'm definitely not going full suit. Maybe khakis and a polo shirt? I'd like to hear what other people think. Also, does anybody know if there will be free parking, like there was at the open house?

I actually asked them that on the phone. business casual is fine. I might not even wear a tie :banana:

Are you going to park in Lot 100 and walk to Fee Hall? Do you know where we meet?
Glad they don't expect us to dress up! I think the Wharton Center parking garage would be closer than Lot 100, but I could be wrong. Also, I don't know if it will be free like it was for the open house.

White coat w/business casual. ;)

Yeah, business casual is fine for you guys. At the very least, I would recommend no jeans/t-shirts. As far as free parking, Lot 100 generally requires payment (~$1.50/hr) before 6pm when the gates open for the night. Did they not mention anything about parking in your invitation letter? I believe we had to pay for Lot 100 last year. :lame: Wharton is also an option (enter off of Shaw) @ ~$1.50/hr.

I believe you'll want to enter the East Fee Hall doors where there should be admissions staff to let you know where to go... If you somehow get turned around or go in the wrong doors, I expect E105 is the ultimate destination.

Last edited:

Okay great, I figured business casual of some sort but I didn't want to look too fancy :bag:
I believe we will be meeting right inside Fee Hall, or I imagine there will be signs directing us where to go.

I'm going to be there tomorrow too, and I was wondering the same thing, actually. I'm definitely not going full suit. Maybe khakis and a polo shirt? I'd like to hear what other people think. Also, does anybody know if there will be free parking, like there was at the open house?

I would go with an oxford button down over a polo...looks neater/more clean cut in my opinion.

Parking is not free though. If you go to the admission offer tab on the application, and then click the tour date tab, there will be a link that contains information about parking and directions and whatnot.

Got the call about an hour ago, accepted!

Reactions: 9 users
Got the call about an hour ago, accepted!
If you don't mind me asking what were your stats? And when were you completed? Congratulations also!

Mind sharing your stats please? CONGRATS!
If you don't mind me asking what were your stats? And when were you completed? Congratulations also!
Congrats!!! When were you complete?

Thanks guys! I am in-state, 3.7 GPA at an academically rigorous school, 8/10/8 MCAT, a lot of leadership experience on campus and volunteer hours (about 200 clinical, 1000+ non clincial), and was complete in October around the 15th I believe, which was when my MCAT score was released.

I also got the call!!!

Complete early July

IS ... 3.8 cGPA / sGPA .... 31 MCAT

Anybody have any idea when we get an EMail or snail mail confirmation?

Reactions: 1 users
When they make calls, do they usually make calls Thursday and friday that week or only on thursday??

When they make calls, do they usually make calls Thursday and friday that week or only on thursday??
It's not too unusual for a few calls to go out on Friday (and potentially over the weekend) depending on how many acceptance calls they are able to get through on that Thursday.

Thanks for the info. Can I ask how you know this? You specifically were tagged, do you have some inside info?
Haha, ... I pay attention when admissions is addressing our class? I'm friendly and talk with lots of faculty/staff? I'm active with visit days and tours?

I don't sit on the admissions committee or anything, so most of what I say is just my educated guess or something I've absorbed from here or there. :) However, I do know for a fact that admissions makes (some) calls outside of Thursday.

Edit: and I spend far too much time reading stuff on SDN when I should be studying for our three upcoming exams. :lame:

Last edited:
Hoping for a decision soon! But i was complete around November 11th due to waiting for my physician letter. I sent an update last week.

I'm afraid that I may be rejected (or not hear back) because I too do not have experience shadowing a DO, and do not have a DO letter. I am working on finding a DO to shadow however!

I would just like to clear the air on this matter about not getting in without DO shadowing experience and/or having a LOR from a DO. I never had either of those for my application to MSUCOM and I am a current OMS-1. So, it goes without saying, that it is a bad assumption to make that you won't/didn't get in because a lack of shadowing a DO or having a letter. If you truly showed the adcom that you have researched the profession and know the philosophy, I believe you can still get in (assuming all other aspects of your app meet their qualifications). Sure, it probably didn't help my application and I did get in pretty late (beginning of April). But, I still got in. Now, don't get me wrong here. I absolutely think you should go forward with shadowing a DO doctor. Might help you decide if you want to take this path in becoming a physician. I also found that shadowing gives you a renewed excitement for the profession because you can actually picture what your life could potentially be like someday! I loved it! I actually am shadowing a gastroenterologist over our winter break. So, it doesn't have to stop once you start medical school. I went a little on a tangent there. Anyways, I don't think you can pinpoint DO shadowing as a huge reason for missing out on the class of 2019. However, I don't sit on the adcom. I am not 100% sure. Just giving you my experience with MSUCOM :) Have a wonderful evening and good luck!

I would just like to clear the air on this matter about not getting in without DO shadowing experience and/or having a LOR from a DO. I never had either of those for my application to MSUCOM and I am a current OMS-1. So, it goes without saying, that it is a bad assumption to make that you won't/didn't get in because a lack of shadowing a DO or having a letter. If you truly showed the adcom that you have researched the profession and know the philosophy, I believe you can still get in (assuming all other aspects of your app meet their qualifications). Sure, it probably didn't help my application and I did get in pretty late (beginning of April). But, I still got in. Now, don't get me wrong here. I absolutely think you should go forward with shadowing a DO doctor. Might help you decide if you want to take this path in becoming a physician. I also found that shadowing gives you a renewed excitement for the profession because you can actually picture what your life could potentially be like someday! I loved it! I actually am shadowing a gastroenterologist over our winter break. So, it doesn't have to stop once you start medical school. I went a little on a tangent there. Anyways, I don't think you can pinpoint DO shadowing as a huge reason for missing out on the class of 2019. However, I don't sit on the adcom. I am not 100% sure. Just giving you my experience with MSUCOM :) Have a wonderful evening and good luck!
Yep, I didn't have DO shadowing or a DO letter either!

Anyone else wait listed? I'm wondering what my realistic expectations should be of getting in from the wait list. Kind of upset about it, but there's nothing else I can do but hope

Anyone else wait listed? I'm wondering what my realistic expectations should be of getting in from the wait list. Kind of upset about it, but there's nothing else I can do but hope
I know someone last year who got in on the wait list very near the start of matriculation, don't lose hope!! Whatever happens will be for the best :)

Haha, ... I pay attention when admissions is addressing our class? I'm friendly and talk with lots of faculty/staff? I'm active with visit days and tours?

I don't sit on the admissions committee or anything, so most of what I say is just my educated guess or something I've absorbed from here or there. :) However, I do know for a fact that admissions makes (some) calls outside of Thursday.

Edit: and I spend far too much time reading stuff on SDN when I should be studying for our three upcoming exams. :lame:

I come here for what call "helpful procrastination" sometimes lol ... coming back to the forum and remembering praying to get this time last year is always the best kick in the butt to hit the books even harder!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users