Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And the wait continues+pity+

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So are people being emailed notifications that they have been put on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have yet to find a Facebook group for the Class of 2019. If I start a group, would there be any interest in helping me get the word out??

Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1032121613480950/

I tried joining but it appears you have to have an MSU email, which I have yet to receive...while on that topic, has anyone that's been accepted received their email/student ID number yet or know how long it takes to have those assigned?

Anyone else wait listed? I'm wondering what my realistic expectations should be of getting in from the wait list. Kind of upset about it, but there's nothing else I can do but hope

There is definitely hope for you! Don't be upset! I got in off the wailist. I know quite a few people who did as well. It was a very stressful time, but patience is the key! Keep working on your ECs just in case to keep you busy while you wait. Also, I believe that there is movement when people start hearing back from MD schools. DO is used as a back up a lot of times. So don't fret! You will become a great doctor some day! :)

Reactions: 2 users
@johnamo I'm fairly certain you led my student-hosted tour today...I'm the fellow U of M-er

@johnamo I'm fairly certain you led my student-hosted tour today...I'm the fellow U of M-er
Haha, yes, I think I did -- It was nice to meet you.

BTW, we're working on getting the Facebook group opened up to people without MSU e-mails... but definitely feel free to message me on here if you have any questions! Hope you enjoyed your day on campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, please make the group open for those who don't have MSU emails. Let us know when it is done.

It is true that you don't need DO shadowing experience or a letter from a physician (MD/DO). That being said, it would not hurt. I did however have 30 hours of shadowing exp (family physician).

I did not have either, and even as a Canadian applicant, i was accepted. Also, I only had 325 hours of volunteer experience (I was told that MSU looks for 1000+ volunteering exp).

That being said, everyone is unique. In terms of my stats and GPA, i'd say that they would most likely be top 90%. I had research experience and one major research scholarship + academic scholarship; and also 1000+ employment hours.

I also dont think academics alone got me in. During my acceptance call, they mentioned I had really good references that talked about leadership, dedication and sincerity ect. I think that since MSU does not interview, it may heavily rely on references and ECs that demonstrated communication / leadership / commitment; ect.

Yes, please make the group open for those who don't have MSU emails. Let us know when it is done.

It is true that you don't need DO shadowing experience or a letter from a physician (MD/DO). That being said, it would not hurt. I did however have 30 hours of shadowing exp (family physician).

I did not have either, and even as a Canadian applicant, i was accepted. Also, I only had 325 hours of volunteer experience (I was told that MSU looks for 1000+ volunteering exp).

That being said, everyone is unique. In terms of my stats and GPA, i'd say that they would most likely be top 90%. I had research experience and one major research scholarship + academic scholarship; and also 1000+ employment hours.

I also dont think academics alone got me in. During my acceptance call, they mentioned I had really good references that talked about leadership, dedication and sincerity ect. I think that since MSU does not interview, it may heavily rely on references and ECs that demonstrated communication / leadership / commitment; ect.
You make some good points.

Yes, of course numbers count heavily. Personally, my MCAT was 95-99th percentile and I had lots of research... so that likely made up for a lack of explicit shadowing, DO exposure, etc. They're a medical school like any other who wants well qualified students. However, that's not to say numbers are everything (e.g., in my case, my overall GPA was not stellar). All accepted applicants are in the top ~4-7% in some way to someone on the admissions committee -- or else they wouldn't be accepted :) However, I feel that the current lack of an interview may certainly lead to more heavily favoring students who are demonstrably well-rounded. ... they don't wanna let too many weirdos in. :laugh:

Edit: though they let some of us slip through the cracks, right @xc1591 ?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Turned down my seat today. Hopefully that means there will be more acceptances to be handed out on the next decision day for everyone still waiting. Good luck - MSUCOM is amazing!

Reactions: 4 users
Can't blame you since I believe you mentioned being OOS. Congratulations on your other acceptance(s). :)

Yes, I'm OOS - I know there are scholarship opportunities, but tuition was still a tough pill to swallow. Thanks for the kind words and for all the advice you offer in this thread!

You make some good points.

Yes, of course numbers count heavily. Personally, my MCAT was 95-99th percentile and I had lots of research... so that likely made up for a lack of explicit shadowing, DO exposure, etc. They're a medical school like any other who wants well qualified students. However, that's not to say numbers are everything (e.g., in my case, my overall GPA was not stellar). All accepted applicants are in the top ~4-7% in some way to someone on the admissions committee -- or else they wouldn't be accepted :) However, I feel that the current lack of an interview may certainly lead to more heavily favoring students who are demonstrably well-rounded. ... they don't wanna let too many weirdos in. :laugh:

Edit: though they let some of us slip through the cracks, right @xc1591 ?

Haha isn't that the truth!

I tried joining but it appears you have to have an MSU email, which I have yet to receive...while on that topic, has anyone that's been accepted received their email/student ID number yet or know how long it takes to have those assigned?

All I know from my tour at the EL campus recently is that it does take a while. People who got accepted in October didn't receive their information until April. I'm going to check in with the registrars office in January at the earliest if I haven't heard anything by then.

did MSU make decisions/calls last thursday? Or is it this tomorrow?

They called last week, but I'm not sure if we'll hear anything next well because deposits are coming in and they need to figure out how many seats they have left and such.

Thanks for that info!

No prob.

Btw, if we've had absolute silence review-wise, should I just assume they haven't looked at my app yet? Last cycle I received a rejection in early December, but I submitted my secondary 6 months ago and still haven't heard anything. Almost 6000 applicants,I feel like my app is just lost in there, even after I submitted an update letter.

No prob.

Btw, if we've had absolute silence review-wise, should I just assume they haven't looked at my app yet? Last cycle I received a rejection in early December, but I submitted my secondary 6 months ago and still haven't heard anything. Almost 6000 applicants,I feel like my app is just lost in there, even after I submitted an update letter.

Well it is certainly a good thing that you haven't gotten a rejection this time around. I too submitted an update letter, but I submitted my secondary a lot later than you (late October). I'm hoping our files get looked at soon and we hear back with good news!

To continue talking to myself...

The October update email states the accepted applicants total is 103 on October 7th. The November update email states an outstanding admissions offers total of 105 (though way more students paid the deposit) on November 24th. How did they only accept 2 more students in a 7-week span. Also the October one says there were 4/25 Canadian students offered and November says 12 offers. That's 8 more acceptances if you're counting, these numbers don't add up at all. :eyebrow: Sorry I'm just really bored right now

stuffcopy_zps3e19b7e7.png

Last edited:
To continue talking to myself...

The October update email states the accepted applicants total is 103 on October 7th. The November update email states an outstanding admissions offers total of 105 (though way more students paid the deposit) on November 24th. How did they only accept 2 more students in a 7-week span. Also the October one says there were 4/25 Canadian students offered and November says 12 offers. That's 8 more acceptances if you're counting, these numbers don't add up at all. :eyebrow: Sorry I'm just really bored right now

stuffcopy_zps3e19b7e7.png
I am also waiting/hoping for some acceptances in the near future. I think (and I hope I'm wrong on this one) what they mean by outstanding admit offers is people who got accepted but have not paid their deposit yet. So the total number of acceptance sent out so far would be (102+105) 207 and the Canadian acceptance would be 7+12 = 19. So 19 out of 25 and out of the 19, 7 have paid their deposit.

I am also waiting/hoping for some acceptances in the near future. I think (and I hope I'm wrong on this one) what they mean by outstanding admit offers is people who got accepted but have not paid their deposit yet. So the total number of acceptance sent out so far would be (102+105) 207 and the Canadian acceptance would be 7+12 = 19. So 19 out of 25 and out of the 19, 7 have paid their deposit.
Yeah, I read it the same way. It seems like they just flip-flopped their metrics a bit.

Any accepted/waitlist students going to be at the DMC tomorrow for the tour?

I was at the tour at the DMC today; Anne Snyder said they have 147 deposits and 73 pending acceptances.

I was at the tour at the DMC today; Anne Snyder said they have 147 deposits and 73 pending acceptances.
Hmm out of how many seats ? 325? also the deposit is due on December 14th correct ?

Waitlisted today. I got the e-mail. :/
This now makes, sent to the ABLE program at MSU CHM, waitlisted here, waitlisted UofM, and I will hear back from Wayne on Dec. 23rd.

Waitlisted today. I got the e-mail. :/
This now makes, sent to the ABLE program at MSU CHM, waitlisted here, waitlisted UofM, and I will hear back from Wayne on Dec. 23rd.
A waitlist at the school is normally good because they pull a lot from the waitlist

Last edited:
I was complete with my Primary August 28th, and then my secondary was delivered September 2nd, and It was completed September 10th.
I hope to get some good news this Thursday. I was complete around October 16.

Remember people may still abandon their deposit if they get an offer from a school they prefer

So this means they only have 66 more admissions offers to give?

I think that means those are acceptances that haven't paid the seat deposit, hence outstanding [not remaining].

Summary for reference...

Applicant summary, as of 12/15/14

All AACOMAS Applicants: 5941
Total Seat Deposits Paid: 151
Outstanding Admit Offers: 66

Of the offers/seats paid:

Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 9
Outstanding Canadian Offers: 11

MCAT range of accepted applicants: 24-36
Science GPA range of accepted applicants:
3.15-4

Reactions: 2 users
So that means roughly half the seats are paid for, but do some people withdraw even if they paid their seat deposit? I thought the deposit was non-refundable

So that means roughly half the seats are paid for, but do some people withdraw even if they paid their seat deposit? I thought the deposit was non-refundable

Yes just like other schools. I think it is just to hold your seat so you don't lose your acceptance in case you don't get in anywhere else

Do people have different deadlines for their deposit depending on when they got accepted? I hear people saying different due dates so I'm guessing so.

How'd you like the DMC?

I love the DMC! I have been living in Detroit for a couple of years now and I really enjoy my community. I knew I wanted the DMC location before they even accepted me. Aside from location preference, the facilities are quite new. Several professors are on-site and quite approachable. I really dig the smaller class size and hence tight student community. Being inside a major hospital system is also a plus; students conducting the tour said they meet docs all the time.