Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So this means they only have 66 more admissions offers to give?
Outstanding admit offers means that they have 66 offers where applicants haven't paid their deposits yet. If their class size is 300 they will try to get to that number of deposits. Then if people start withdrawing then they will accept those from waitlist. So since they have 151 total deposits they still have 149 spots left. Of the 66 acceptance offers not everyone will pay deposits so you can safely assume that if half pay deposits then u get 300-(151+33)= 116 spots still left to fill.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I love the DMC! I have been living in Detroit for a couple of years now and I really enjoy my community. I knew I wanted the DMC location before they even accepted me. Aside from location preference, the facilities are quite new. Several professors are on-site and quite approachable. I really dig the smaller class size and hence tight student community. Being inside a major hospital system is also a plus; students conducting the tour said they meet docs all the time.

I chose the DMC as well. I absolutely loved it when I toured and I am really excited to be in the D and in a hospital while studying medicine...felt like a perfect fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Have a significant number of rejections been given out? Havent followed this thread much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that applied to the DO/PhD program heard back about PhD interviews?

Should be 1 more Thursday before the break according to last years acceptances.

I know its a year round curriculum at MSUCOM, does anyone know if there's ANY form of summer break?

Also have any Canadians gotten waitlisted or rejected yet?

Has anyone that applied to the DO/PhD program heard back about PhD interviews?
Yup I got invited to BMS program. We can chat privately if you want about it

Thanks. In semester 2 it seems there is no material from october to december? What happens during this time?
Oh, there certainly is. Just not all courses run the entire semester -- if you look closely there's some overlap for those course dates. However, you get a nice long break from mid-December to mid-January after that semester (we're on it now!).

For those of you that are interested. If you get waitlisted, they send you this e-mail:

MSUCOM Waitlist FAQs

How many people are usually admitted from the waitlist?

The number of applicants admitted from the waitlist varies greatly from year to year. In some years, we have filled as many as a quarter of the seats in the entering class from the waitlist.

What is the size of the entering class?

We expect to enroll 300 students in the incoming first-year class.

What is the earliest or latest date that I may be admitted?

You could be admitted at any time after you have been placed on the waitlist until the week before the entering class matriculates in June. Typically, the greatest movement on the waitlist occurs from late April to mid-May. For Canadian applicants, May 1 is the latest admission date due to the time needed to process student visas/I-20s.

What are my chances of being admitted from the waitlist at MSUCOM?

The greatest factor affecting your chances is the number of withdrawals we receive before our class matriculates in June. Any number of individuals currently holding positions in our entering class may also be holding multiple waitlist positions at other schools, and any number of those individuals may receive an offer from another school and withdraw from MSUCOM to accept an offer. We cannot predict how many withdrawals we will receive between now and matriculation, and hence we cannot give you any meaningful assessment of the likelihood of your admission to MSUCOM.

Should I make alternative plans for next year?

Some candidates in this position intend to apply to medical school for the following year if not admitted this year, and those candidates often begin the reapplication process in June. Other candidates consider employment opportunities or other academic programs. You must decide how much risk you are willing to tolerate to remain available for a medical school offer, or at what point in time you feel it is in your best interest to withdraw from the waitlist and make other commitments for the fall.

What will happen if I am not admitted?

After the class matriculates in June, we will notify everyone who is still holding a waitlist position and announce that we have concluded the admissions process for the incoming first-year class. You may choose to schedule an advisingappointment to discuss opportunities to improve your application for the next admissions cycle.

What can I do to improve my chances of being admitted? May I add new documents to my file?

You may upload updated transcripts by logging into the admissions system. However, it is not necessary for you to do this, and at this point in the process such material is unlikely to change the outcome of your application.

If I am admitted, may I defer my admissions offer?

You may request a deferral of your admissions offer by sending an email with a detailed summary of the reason for your request. It is not possible to defer based on site placement preference.

If offered admission, what can I expect?

You will be provided a link with thorough information about next steps within the offer of admission including a list of books required, guide to searching for an apartment, and access to specific resources. Even if you are notified close to the beginning of the start date you will have enough time to get everything organized before and during orientation.

Reactions: 1 users
So if I'm correct tomorrow is the next big day, right?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they look at all of the applications at each meeting?

has anyone who has been accepted and paid their deposit received any additional information besides compliances like immunizations and finger printing?

Do they look at all of the applications at each meeting?
No, I believe they meet every other week and only look at a certain amount each time. I think overall MSU received around 6,000 applications so it takes a while before an application even gets in front of admissions.

I think a lot of us are eagerly waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
No, I believe they meet every other week and only look at a certain amount each time. I think overall MSU received around 6,000 applications so it takes a while before an application even gets in front of admissions.
So my application Mary not even be looked at? Bummer. Waiting stinks!

Yep, I've been waiting since I submitted my secondary in June and waiting sure does stink. I do hope you are accepted and I wish you the best of luck.

Does anyone know if MSUCOM still uses the two waitlists, where one will be guaranteed acceptance for the 2016 entering class, and the waitlist for the 2015 entering class?

Has anyone that has been waitlisted received an email about being on the guaranteed waitlist for 2016?

Yea unfortunately that's the scariest part, no ones sure when the committee will see their app. I have heard however that it helps to meet with an advisor or update your app for this reason tho!

Does anyone know if MSUCOM still uses the two waitlists, where one will be guaranteed acceptance for the 2016 entering class, and the waitlist for the 2015 entering class?

Has anyone that has been waitlisted received an email about being on the guaranteed waitlist for 2016?
no

Last year they emailed some people on the waitlist and offered them Admission the following year if spots didn't open up in time before classes began in June. They did this at the end of May.

Same here. No word. This whole process is getting to be pretty disheartening.

I feel like I have no idea what's going on, despite this being my only school that sends monthly updates

If it's any comfort, you're definitely not the only one :)

OOOMMMMGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing on my end either. Hahaha had to do it.

Are we sure they met today? All the silence seems weird.

Also since two Thursdays from now is New Years, do you think they will met on the 8th then?

From what I understood previously the trend was that admissions meets biweekly on Wednesdays and grants acceptances biweekly on Thursdays, however I have read on here that some people have gotten accepted on Fridays also

Also since two Thursdays from now is New Years, do you think they will met on the 8th then?
It really seems like no one got accepted today but not everyone uses SDN so IDKKK. I have no clue what will happen with the holidays around. Now we just keep waiting I guess... :/

It really seems like no one got accepted today but not everyone uses SDN so IDKKK. I have no clue what will happen with the holidays around. Now we just keep waiting I guess... :/

I feel like acceptances should go out today or tomorrow...they sent out acceptances around the same exact time last year as well..cross our fingers!

Bummer :( I haven't heard either. Anyone get emails for waitlists?

As much as I'd like to believe otherwise, I was told by Ann a couple weeks back that they'd be meeting every other Thursday in December, Dec 4 and Dec 18, i.e. today. Maybe they met and will be contacting people tomorrow...

Got accepted off the wait list today!! And it's my birthday!!!!! Best present ever!!!!!!

Good luck to the rest of you hoping for acceptances and wait list movement. Know that there IS movement happening, so stay positive!

Reactions: 9 users
Got accepted off the wait list today!! And it's my birthday!!!!! Best present ever!!!!!!

Good luck to the rest of you hoping for acceptances and wait list movement. Know that there IS movement happening, so stay positive!
Congrats! happy birthday! what time did they call you?

Congrats! happy birthday! what time did they call you?

They called at 4pm. The lady who called kept asking me if I had any questions, but I just kept saying thank you. I was speechless. I remember her saying I would receive more info via email within the next day or so.

They called at 4pm. The lady who called kept asking me if I had any questions, but I just kept saying thank you. I was speechless. I remember her saying I would receive more info via email within the next day or so.

I was waitlisted last week. I'm PRAYING that I get off the waitlist too! Lol.

How long ago were you waitlisted?

Hey everyone...I took a much needed break from SDN for awhile (which included a med school interview fortunately).

So, I'm kind of catching up here. Can anyone fill me in on whether there have been ANY OOS acceptances?

How are people notified of being rejected? Through email?