Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
First time posting here, but I was also accepted today!! Got the call around 3pm from a 586 number. I was complete back in June but my application was put on hold because they wanted my fall grades from a post Bacc I'm doing at another DO school.

Here are some of my stats for those who like to know that sort of thing:
3.3 science GPA
30 MCAT (10B, 9P, 11V)
600+ volunteer hours
2 years of research

And then I got a 3.93 the first semester of the post bacc program I'm in now.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all... I also got the good news call this afternoon. Hopefully this will provide some folks with motivation:
Complete: 20 Oct
Out-of-state, non-traditional
MCAT (3rd try and highest score): 26 (8p/10v/8b)

Thank you, MSUCOM, for your confidence in me; I am quite excited to come visit!

Reactions: 5 users
do they typically make calls on friday as well ? i have to find something out soon or start looking for housing at my accepted schools city

Ok, I got the call yesterday that I was accepted, but without an interview. I know MSU has a sterling reputation as a big 10 undergraduate school, but has anyone been to the med school to visit? Does anyone on this thread attend the medical school currently? I feel a little lost because there isn't the usual wooing process that provides information, tours, statistics, etc. I would like information and statistics and feel that I actually wish there was an interview day. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely ecstatic that I'm in, and I'd LOVE to go there, but I'm hoping some of you have some insight.

Last edited:
Ok, I got the call yesterday that I was accepted, but without an interview (seems odd.) I know MSU have a sterling reputation as a big 10 undergraduate school, but has anyone been to the med school? Does anyone on this thread attend the medical school currently? I feel a little lost because there isn't the usual wooing process that provides information, tours, etc. I would like information and statistics and feel that I actually wish there was an interview day. Don't get me wrong, yay MSU, I just wish I had more info.

If you're in the know, you would know that MSUCOM doesn't conduct interviews for most people ;)

I guess I'm not in the know. haha. But there are questions I have that maybe some of you "In the know" may be able to answer. The website is a bit thin on information and I have question. Are their anatomy labs prosection or dissection?

Congratulations on your acceptance!! I'm not too sure about stats besides that msucom is in the top ten for primary care in the nation with MD schools included. Also their cadavers are prosected and they start classes slightly earlier than many schools to dedicate the summer semester to only anatomy.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on your acceptance!! I'm not too sure about stats besides that msucom is in the top ten for primary care in the nation with MD schools included. Also their cadavers are prosected and they start classes slightly earlier than many schools to dedicate the summer semester to only anatomy.
Bingo.

@Carlos H. I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.

Thanks for the info. I have questions johnamo, but I'm at work so I'll whip them up later. Also, thanks for the congrats and good luck to everyone who hasn't heard back...it takes a while. I finished my secondary in October, so please be patient and hope for the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I got the call yesterday that I was accepted, but without an interview. I know MSU has a sterling reputation as a big 10 undergraduate school, but has anyone been to the med school to visit? Does anyone on this thread attend the medical school currently? I feel a little lost because there isn't the usual wooing process that provides information, tours, statistics, etc. I would like information and statistics and feel that I actually wish there was an interview day. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely ecstatic that I'm in, and I'd LOVE to go there, but I'm hoping some of you have some insight.

I also had a lot of questions, but was able to find most answers on their website. I called admissions to ask a few more today. There are also scheduled visit days so you can learn more about the school. The next one is 26 Feb.

hmm still adds up to 20 for canadians. I wonder if they're capping it at 20 this year.
Very unlikely + makes 0 sense given that there are more applicants than ever. Also of the 20 Canadians at least 5 will go MD since they have MD calibre stats. I know of two that are wait listed at US MD schools + have potential for Canadian MD schools.

Do you know of any Canadians waitlisted at MSU as of now? I figure they'd waitlist at least 5 people...

Very unlikely + makes 0 sense given that there are more applicants than ever. Also of the 20 Canadians at least 5 will go MD since they have MD calibre stats. I know of two that are wait listed at US MD schools + have potential for Canadian MD schools.

Do you know of any Canadians waitlisted at MSU as of now? I figure they'd waitlist at least 5 people...

Do you think that DOs are of lower quality than MDs?

Does anyone know where I can get some good information on the differences between the 3 sites? I'm going to tours in February, but I'd like to be able to have a site preference before then.

No.

But a Canadian accepted to a Canadian school is more likely go to there. Also from having spoken to applicants applying to DO schools who also applied to MD schools, their first choice is the MD schools. Doesn't mean that they wouldn't like x DO school though.

Not what he implied.

A Canadian MD school is 1/3rd to 1/4th the cost of a US school, no Canadian with an acceptance in Canada would go to a US school over it, based on pure financials. That is not to say they would not be ecstatic to go stateside for their degree nonetheless.

Relax.

Why do you say very unlikely? The admissions did quote "20-25 canadians".

Why do you say very unlikely? The admissions did quote "20-25 canadians".
Well given that there are more qualified applicants than ever.. it seems unlikely. We also have over 2 solid months left anyway.

Also, if you look at the October update it says 4/25 and I'm positive that 25 means the number of total offers.

Not what he implied.

A Canadian MD school is 1/3rd to 1/4th the cost of a US school, no Canadian with an acceptance in Canada would go to a US school over it, based on pure financials. That is not to say they would not be ecstatic to go stateside for their degree nonetheless.

Relax.

Also to add. Canadian medical schools are gnarly. At my undergrad school, one of the research directors for pathology and his wife (a GI doc) both came from McMaster University and said it's insanely hard to get into their medical program.

Question regarding the schedule and OOS tuition at MUSCOM. I found this document (https://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/budcom.pdf) listing the yearly expense breakdown. What are those 3-month summer tuition fees? Does MSUCOM have classes in the summer for all 4 years? And does the 80k per year OOS tuition include the entire 12-month year?

Question regarding the schedule and OOS tuition at MUSCOM. I found this document (https://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/budcom.pdf) listing the yearly expense breakdown. What are those 3-month summer tuition fees? Does MSUCOM have classes in the summer for all 4 years? And does the 80k per year OOS tuition include the entire 12-month year?
There are 12 semesters total over the 4 years at MSUCOM, and yes, there are classes pretty much year-round (no semesters "off"). Though the financial aid years are broken down a little differently on that table -- Fall/Spring/Summer is technically the year --, you'll see approximately the following OOS tuition cost (with in-state being half that):
Summer/Fall/Spring 1, Pre-clerkship: $13,968/$14,240/$27,924 = $56,132
Summer/Fall/Spring 2, Pre-clerkship: $27,924/$27,924/$27,924 = $83,772
Summer/Fall/Spring 3, Clerkship: $27,924/$27,924/$27,924 = $83,772
Summer/Fall/Spring 4, Clerkship: $27,924/$27,924/$27,924 = $83,772

You can follow these semesters on the following table for semesters 1-7 (up thru the summer starting year 3)
And the last two years here.

I know it's kind of confusing, but hopefully that makes sense (and I also can't guarantee it's accurate :rofl:)!

Last edited:
There are 12 semesters total over the 4 years at MSUCOM, and yes, there are classes pretty much year-round (no semesters "off"). Though the financial aid years are broken down a little differently on that table -- Fall/Spring/Summer is technically the year --, you'll see approximately the following OOS tuition cost (with in-state being half that):
Summer/Fall/Spring 1, Pre-clerkship: $13,968/$14,240/$27,924 = $56,132
Summer/Fall/Spring 2, Pre-clerkship: $27,924/$27,924/$27,924 = $83,772
Summer/Fall/Spring 3, Clerkship: $27,924/$27,924/$27,924 = $83,772
Summer/Fall/Spring 4, Clerkship: $27,924/$27,924/$27,924 = $83,772

You can follow these semesters on the following table for semesters 1-7 (up thru the summer starting year 3)
And the last two years here.

I know it's kind of confusing, but hopefully that makes sense (and I also can't guarantee it's accurate :rofl:)!
Thanks for the clarification! Do you feel a bit overwhelmed/burnt out having classes all throughout the year?

Thanks for the clarification! Do you feel a bit overwhelmed/burnt out having classes all throughout the year?
I am only at the beginning of my third semester... but, so far, no! Though I'm only speaking for myself and a few of my friends, we agree that the time has flown by. Yes, it's been difficult... but rarely overwhelming.

We have some nice long breaks as well -- I almost felt like our winter break was too long (December 12 - Jan 5) as I got out of the study mindset and into some pretty lazy habits. We have a week or two between most semesters and in conjunction with holiday breaks I feel like school is certainly doable.

Yes, it is a lot. But when your life is medical school, I think it's certainly less work than a full-time job.

Reactions: 3 users
I am at MSUCOM with johnamo currently. I would say that for the most part, our breaks are sufficient time to get time away from the grind. But, I will say that it is maybe almost helpful not having 3 months off.. I feel like I still remember so much from our anatomy course in the summer. We just started our neuro course which puts you back in the anatomy lab and I feel like I have pretty decent recall. Overall, I have no regrets coming to MSUCOM. Maybe it wasn't my first choice, but now that I am here, I am extremely happy with the program. I definitely think you should try to make one of the visit days that MSUCOM holds. I never went to one and wish I had. I might have felt a bit more comfortable that first week of classes! It also gives you a great feel of the vibe the school has. I obviously have never been enrolled in any other medical school, but I love the team atmosphere MSUCOM has. I enjoy friendly competition with my classmates, don't get me wrong. It keeps you motivated to do your best. However, I love knowing that if I am ever stuck on something or missed a lecture, my classmates have my back. We joke around and call ourselves MSUCOM family... but I truly believe we are. Well, I think that is enough for my rant on how awesome MSUCOM is! haha If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me as well! That goes for anyone else on this thread as well! I know this can be overwhelming!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys,
Long time lurker, I've been complete since the end of June and I haven't heard anything yet. Is this the case for anybody else?

seems like their "aggressive rolling admissions" is not so "aggressive" this year

seems like their "aggressive rolling admissions" is not so "aggressive" this year

I heard back within a month...so I think their admissions process might depend on multiple factors.

I have a feeling they might group applicants together based on whether they are traditional vs. nontrad, in state vs. out of state, etc. as well as when they applied and how competitive they are as an applicant overall.

Where do they claim to have rolling admissions? I don't remember seeing this stated anywhere in their communications this year.

Has anyone called to check on their application? I am thinking about calling but it said not call

Did anyone else notice that their status page change and now has MCAT with a green check mark and another box with an application complete check mark?

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice that their status page change and now has MCAT with a green check mark and another box with an application complete check mark?

Haha I'm glad you pointed that out I noticed that too and had a million random thoughts running through my mind. However, I'm forcing myself to chill and assume its nothing because it probably is. They may have done something on their end to make looking over applications more efficient, idk lol.

I hope today brings good news to everyone waiting, hoping, praying, wishing for an acceptance to MSUCOM

Reactions: 6 users
Just got accepted!!!! I was teaching my undergrad class when they called so I still need to call back.

Reactions: 4 users