Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The visit/tour day on Thursday in EL is for accepted students. If you've been accepted you can sign into your portal and sign up for it. All the information is in there

Actually it's for waitlisted students as well but yes for those of us who are accepted it
I don't think this is true. I'm on the waitlist and I'm attending the visit day. I'm not sure if prospective students can visit but I did the same in November before hearing back anything from MSU.

You're absolutely right. It's for waitlisted applicants as well :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know what time tomorrow's visit is? 1pm? I just forgot and can't confirm it anywhere
It's at 1pm.. The tour day info pdf won't load on my computer though (from the admissions portal). Idk if I should call ahead of time or just show up at the admissions office at 1.. Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I just tried calling and it rings once then goes to a message saying "you may start your message now"

What??

Either they may not have met this week or there are so few acceptances to give out left that the people that were accepted may not even be on SDN. Im dying here!

Reactions: 1 user
HCMVResearchers comment above makes it seem like their office is closed or their phones are down for some reason. That could be why

Seems like they would be busy with the tour day, no? Maybe they're not meeting this week or will be sending phone calls out tomorrow/next week.

I would think at least ONE SDNer would have heard something if they were actually sending out any form of communication today, whether it be an acceptance, waitlist or rejection. Maybe they are intentionally taking more time to consider who to give the last remaining seats to? That or the tour day I would assume..

I was so nervous all day! I couldn't get any work done between 12- 4pm!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get why they are pushing it to next week since it will be the first week of March. Isn't the committee supposed to meet bi-monthly. They met on the 11th and made calls on the 12th. They should have called today. The wait is just depressing me.

Not sure if they did any acceptance calls, but I received a waitlist offer today

Not sure if they did any acceptance calls, but I received a waitlist offer today

was it a phone call or email? I'm always so nervous to check my email on call weekends...

Well if they sent out waitlist offers they may have met, and us SDNers were just unlucky. Unless waitlist offers are done via email like rejections are. Maybe they didn't have time to call people (I'm just hoping out loud).

Sorry all, looks like another 2 week wait for us. At this point should we expect a waitlist offer as a best-case scenario? I would think by now they would have all their seats filled but I could be wrong.

I hear many people move off the waitlist here . So I wouldn't mind that. I'm still hopeful to receive and acceptance call

As an OOS student I just don't think I am going to hear anything at this point. Sigh. I was really hoping to go back to the Big Ten. Good luck everyone!

Has anyone else been waiting more than 7 months since being complete and heard nothing? I was thinking of contacting them and asking what's up, you'd think my app would be seen by now...

Has anyone else been waiting more than 7 months since being complete and heard nothing? I was thinking of contacting them and asking what's up, you'd think my app would be seen by now...
I am in the same position and my stats are nearly the same as the person who was waitlisted last. And I've called to check and they don't really appreciated the calls.

I am in the same position and my stats are nearly the same as the person who was waitlisted last. And I've called to check and they don't really appreciated the calls.

I'll have my SO call and pretend to be my grandma asking :D

Same here. I've given up on this one.

Same here. I've given up on this one.

I think if a student is above a certain threshold (GPA/MCAT) and their secondary is not reviewed by the committee in a timely manner then the school should refund their application fee. Frankly, I think the punishment for the school should be more than this as the investments we make into our applications are far more than the $100.00 secondary fee, but perhaps this requirement would force schools to hire more staff to review applications.

I think if a student is above a certain threshold (GPA/MCAT) and their secondary is not reviewed by the committee in a timely manner then the school should refund their application fee. Frankly, I think the punishment for the school should be more than this as the investments we make into our applications are far more than the $100.00 secondary fee, but perhaps this requirement would force schools to hire more staff to review applications.
This is ridiculous. Nobody is forcing you to apply.

No it's not ridiculous. What's ridiculous is the fact that they claim to employ an "aggressive rolling admissions process" although people who applied in June have yet to hear back. They should have been at least wait-listed or rejected by now.
Maybe you can pony up the cash to pay people to handle over 6000 applications

It came via email. Secondary complete in August

cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.8 MCAT: 27 (8/10/9)

Wow, I can't believe you were waitlisted those are some quality stats. I wish I knew some of the other factors the admissions committee takes into account since GPA and MCAT seem to be what decides if an application sees the light of day.

For anyone curious, this was last year's admissions update for March (taken from the thread last year):

Below you will see our March admissions update. Applicants are selected for Admissions Committee review based on several criteria including a combination of academic accomplishments, extracurricular experiences, timing of application completion, etc.

The class is now filled, but we will continue to construct a waitlist until mid-spring. Waitlisted students could be notified at any time prior to the start of orientation on June 11. If you have not yet been notified of your admissions status, you may expect a decision by late April.

*Phone calls to the Admissions office slow the process so please refrain from calling.*

Applicant summary, as of 3/10/14

MSUCOM Applicants: 5048
Admission Offers: 302
Seat Deposits Paid: 299 (includes paid withdrawals)
Canadian Offers: 25
Canadian Deposits Paid: 25
Average MCAT: 28.65
Average Science GPA: 3.57

Site placement

Detroit Medical Center: 53/53
Macomb University Center: 33/50
East Lansing: 205/205
(Admitted students may be added to site waitlists, if you choose)

Seems like the next update will be when the class has been filled, and those of us that haven't heard a peep could be getting bad news between now and April. Still holding out hope!

Is anyone thinking this might be a call week since last Thursday seemed to be rather quiet?

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone thinking this might be a call week since last Thursday seemed to be rather quiet?
You might have a point since the admissions update for February was also sent out after the first week on February (so they made some calls the first week)! HOPE!

Maybe you can pony up the cash to pay people to handle over 6000 applications

They get 600,000$ to handle those 6000 applicants. I think the OP is very reasonable in saying that if you applied early in the cycle - there is no excuse to not hear from them by now. Especially for a school that totes a aggressive process.

Reactions: 3 users
Dont forget the $325,000 they will be getting from seat deposits! And whatever they make per AACOMAS primary....

Easily over a million a year in admissions. Appealing to the "less than competitive" crowd is really financially savvy, just ask RFUSOM and GWUSOM who easily make more than a mill on secondaries alone with their 10-15k applicants a year.

I emailed them and asked about not hearing for so long, got the same rehash of "when the committee reviews your app, you will be notified, between now and April" :rolleyes:

*raises glass*
Here's to more waiting...

I emailed them and asked about not hearing for so long, got the same rehash of "when the committee reviews your app, you will be notified, between now and April" :rolleyes:

*raises glass*
Here's to more waiting...
I also love how they explicitly tell you not to call them about it. Sitting on my application and doing NOTHING observable since early July totally warrants an explanation, imho. Gettin' real tired of monthly updates (in the middle of the month following) with average stats that match mine and not a single peep from the adcom. I had much better expectations from this school, if for nothing else at LEAST in correspondence. /rant

Reactions: 3 users
I'll be withdrawing my acceptance this week. I hope it goes to one of you guys. My stats were pretty average (28mcat, 3.6ish gpa). Good luck and try to be patient! I had submitted my app in June and and didn't hear from them until the end of January.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll be withdrawing my acceptance this week. I hope it goes to one of you guys. My stats were pretty average (28mcat, 3.6ish gpa). Good luck and try to be patient! I had submitted my app in June and and didn't hear from them until the end of January.

Where did you the end up deciding to go?

Edit: nvm

Last edited:
Congrats to those who have been accepted. I was wondering how are you guys looking for housing? Like what website?

I guess no news today? I was hoping they just skipped last week, but now that March update will be really interesting!

I actually talked to someone who said their friend got in last week so maybe none of us SDNers got in or some lurkers did but didn't post? :/