Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't receive anything, but I'm keeping a positive outlook. I suggest everybody does the same as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I actually talked to someone who said their friend got in last week so maybe none of us SDNers got in or some lurkers did but didn't post? :/
Good to know! Here's hoping we all get lucky.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just did some math...they have 6010 applicants this year. Meeting twice a week, that means they have had 13 sessions so far, not including this month's. Let's just add on the March dates so we have 15 review days. 6010/15 = ~401.

There's no way in Ohio, that they review 400 apps every two weeks, let alone 100. So how does this process really work? I wonder how many apps don't even see the light of day.

Why aren't they more transparent about the process? Based on your math, even if it's a rough estimate, there's no way they can review all the apps. Therefore, I believe that all applicants who weren't reviewed should be entitled to a full refund of the secondary app. fee. Just sayin'.

If they don't have enough manpower to review all apps, then they should be more selective in who they give secondaries to.

Just did some math...they have 6010 applicants this year. Meeting twice a week, that means they have had 13 sessions so far, not including this month's. Let's just add on the March dates so we have 15 review days. 6010/15 = ~401.

There's no way in Ohio, that they review 400 apps every two weeks, let alone 100. So how does this process really work? I wonder how many apps don't even see the light of day.

I called and asked about this last month. Apparently all apps are reviewed but not all apps are reviewed by the Adcom. If your app has been reviewed by the Adcom then you would have heard something. I imagine that whoever imitially reviews the application provides some sort of evaluation to determine whether and whem the Adcom looks at the the app. I would love more information but I dont think we are going to get it.

Why aren't they more transparent about the process? Based on your math, even if it's a rough estimate, there's no way they can review all the apps. Therefore, I believe that all applicants who weren't reviewed should be entitled to a full refund of the secondary app. fee. Just sayin'.

If they don't have enough manpower to review all apps, then they should be more selective in who they give secondaries to.

You want to be a doctor, but you can't figure out a way for an admissions office to review that number of applications?

Surely 200 apps can be reviewed in a week, just change the way you're thinking.

It's probably not linear where each app goes from point A to B to C. Maybe it's like a pyramid where there are levels with different spots. So reviewers A B C D E on level 1 review an app, make a decision, then send it on to a second reviewer. 5 people, working 40 hours a week, each app getting reviewed by two people... If it takes 30 min to review an app, each reviewer can get through 16 a day, so 80/week. That works out to 400 total application reviews, but each app is reviewed twice, so that's 200 true applications.

That math works.

Then let's say that after two reviewers look at the app at level 1, the app gets escalated to level 2 if they both agree the person is a good candidate. This work process continues until it gets up the chain to the big decision makers. They have an intense meeting (secret robes, chants, candles, the whole sha-bang) to review the chosen ones and make the ultimate accept/hold/reject decision.

Hey guys! Keep your heads up :) hopefully we will get an update tomorrow and some good news on Thursday, just have to stay positive!!

Then let's say that after two reviewers look at the app at level 1, the app gets escalated to level 2 if they both agree the person is a good candidate. This work process continues until it gets up the chain to the big decision makers. They have an intense meeting (secret robes, chants, candles, the whole sha-bang) to review the chosen ones and make the ultimate accept/hold/reject decision.

That explains the process, but what happens to those stuck on level 1-2? Once the class fills up, do they all get auto-rejected?

What really irks me is that in the August update letter it clearly states....

Applications are reviewed by the Admissions Committee based on the combination of application completion timeframe, academic achievement and subjective factors (extracurricular activities, volunteer experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements).

...If you were complete very early (June-August), you should have heard back by now, especially because the stat ranges are so broad...
MCAT range of accepted applicants: 24-36
Science GPA range of accepted applicants: 3.15-4
-as of Feb 9

I know that this can be a very frustrating time when you hear nothing from schools. BUT, please keep in mind that there are 1000 more applications this year compared to last year. This is the highest number of apps they have had so far I believe. Also, not sure how many of you know this, but MSUCOM has a land grant with the state of Michigan. So, they are required to accept approx. 80% of their applicants from the state of MI. I think it's absolutely absurd that you desire a refund for your secondary application. You didn't have to pursue this school. They will contact you eventually. It may not be what you want to hear. Such is life. Make your self a darn good applicant for the next year. Meet with the adcom in the off season for a review of your past app and how you can improve it. I know you all want to become doctors. Believe me. I didn't get into MSUCOM until April. So I had the dreaded re-application looming over my head and was getting depressed about starting over. All you can do at this point is keep your head up and make a plan B. I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but if this is something you are passionate about, KEEP fighting. Doctors don't give up easily. Don't blame the adcom. Make yourself more desirable as candidate.

Reactions: 8 users
Hmmm, it is always easy to critique the process when one is not part of the process...

While I haven't worked in college/medical school admissions, I have a few friends who do. They have emphasized how overwhelming it can be and as @xc1591 stated, MSUCOM is not used to this many applicants ...so lets cut them a break, eh?

As with any other medical school, they may not get back to you in a timely fashion, especially one you prefer. That's the name of the game with medical school admissions.

I know it's aggravating, but try to remain level-headed. Keep this in mind, patience and the ability to keep calm about things that are simply out of your control are qualities of great doctors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So if we have not been wait listed or rejected at this point, what should we expect? I am assuming the majority of students who will be accepted from here on out will be those pulled from the wait list unless anyone knows otherwise

Members don't see this ad :)
So if we have not been wait listed or rejected at this point, what should we expect? I am assuming the majority of students who will be accepted from here on out will be those pulled from the wait list unless anyone knows otherwise

I would think so, unless we hear tomorrow that someone has been accepted that is not on the wait list. This wait has truly been a struggle, and I'm not even on the waiting list so I don't know what the heck to think.

Do parents usually go to the closer look day or just students?

Hey everyone, exited to say I just got an acceptance call from MSUCOM. Now to decide between here and KCOM. I just really don't want to end up at the Macomb campus. Good luck to those waiting to hear back. For those wondering I'm instate and have been complete since around August (This is the first I've heard anything from MSU since then besides the applicant updates).

Hey everyone, exited to say I just got an acceptance call from MSUCOM. Now to decide between here and KCOM. I just really don't want to end up at the Macomb campus. Good luck to those waiting to hear back. For those wondering I'm instate and have been complete since around August (This is the first I've heard anything from MSU since then besides the applicant updates).

Wow thats awesome!! congrats!!!

If you don't mind sharing what were your stats and extracurriculars like?

yes please!!! and also guys i was wait-listed last year and it seemed like the amount of people they accepted were 60% off the wait list and 40% people who they have had no communication with whats so ever

So after 9 months of waiting, I have been put on the waitlist. Notified by email.

Yeah no problem. Around a 3.6/3.7 overall/science and around a 27 MCAT. I've been told by others my EC's are impressive, but I think there pretty standard to what I've seen on SDN. Around 400-500 hours Clinical Volunteering, around 200 hours community service, and some research.

Wow thats awesome!! congrats!!!
Thanks!

I got an acceptance call this afternoon, took me completely by surprised, very excited!! I was complete late september and stats around a 3.7c&sGPA and a 29 mcat. In addition to lots of research, clinical experience, and volunteer work. Best of luck to everyone else, hope is still alive!!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted this week! I wonder if any calls or emails are going out today. Has the EL site filled up now?

Was also wondering that, how many spots do you think are left in EL and detroit?

Detroit is completely filled currently. I am sure there are still some spots left in East Lansing and Macomb

Just curious, why so opposed to Macomb?

I'm from Oakland County, so I know the area quite well. I was curious if it was due to Macomb being more so a suburb/family place or the facilities, etc.

The facilities are amazing at Macomb, but I still chose the DMC.

Macomb is a suburb of Detroit (~25 mins away depending on traffic). It has everything you can think of in terms of shopping, dining, parks etc. However it is a suburb, not a college town like EL so a completely different atmosphere.

I honestly don't know why so many people pick the DMC. The dark classrooms and hospital atmosphere didn't impress me at all, along with the urban blight surrounding the area.

Boo...! Sorry to hear that. Thankfully you've got a great choice with KCU. :)

It is a bummer! But MSU was somewhat of a reach for me anyhow so it's kind of nice to know that my app was being considered for this long.

Thank you again! Come stop by KC! ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I have yet to hear anything and its driving me nuts, just wish they would contact me for any decision at this point. @AlteredScale what were your stats?

Same here..Complete in June

same...and waitlisted last year...still no word

after asking around ive been hearing that the average stats of people recently getting in were 3.6-7 and 28-29 and up

nothing of anyone getting in with lower stats

but last year in april and may they did accept people with 3.4's and 24-25 on mcat so theres still hope for everyone sdn fam

Just a personal preference. I'm from around the macomb area and actually have been a commuter all four years of college. I have nothing against the macomb site, but I kind of like the idea of changing it up for med school.

Just a personal preference. I'm from around the macomb area and actually have been a commuter all four years of college. I have nothing against the macomb site, but I kind of like the idea of changing it up for med school.

Definitely respectable. Congrats! Maybe a spot at the DMC will open up for ya.