Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question for those that have been admitted. When selecting site placement it says this "Upon completion of your online forms, admissions deposit, and Graduate Application, we will email you to confirm your site placement." What and where is the Graduate application?

Members don't see this ad.

Any accepted students received university scholarships yet? According to the email, they sent letters out this week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband called and said that there was a message on our machine today by Lorie from admissions (517 number) to call back and that she had some questions. It's too late to try calling back tonight. Do you guys think that it was an acceptance phone call? I can't imagine her having questions about my app that needed more than an e-mail. Last year I was waitlisted here; I would absolutely love to attend. Crossing my fingers!

My husband called and said that there was a message on our machine today by Lorie from admissions (517 number) to call back and that she had some questions. It's too late to try calling back tonight. Do you guys think that it was an acceptance phone call? I can't imagine her having questions about my app that needed more than an e-mail. Last year I was waitlisted here; I would absolutely love to attend. Crossing my fingers!
:scared::xf:

Lorie is a good person to get a call from (i.e., she does make acceptance calls -- plus she's super nice)... I'm hoping you get some good news this year! There are several reasons you might get a call from her -- along with acceptances, she verifies that requirements are met, etc. Hopefully it's an acceptance though.

I would optimistically say that the fact you had a call is a good sign.:)

Edit: probably a silly question since I know you always have all your ducks in a row: could it be a decision pending completion of a course -- or -- do you have any prerequisite coursework with grades of "C-" or below? I know missing transcripts/pending grades/required re-takes have held up some people in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
:scared::xf:

Lorie is a good person to get a call from (i.e., she does make acceptance calls -- plus she's super nice)... I'm hoping you get some good news this year! There are several reasons you might get a call from her -- along with acceptances, she verifies that requirements are met, etc. Hopefully it's an acceptance though.

I would optimistically say that the fact you had a call is a good sign.:)

Edit: probably a silly question since I know you always have all your ducks in a row: could it be a decision pending completion of a course -- or -- do you have any prerequisite coursework with grades of "C-" or below? I know missing transcripts/pending grades/required re-takes have held up some people in the past.

I talked to my husband again (I'm not home right now), and he just told me that she had called twice today (noon and at 4 PM). I do have all the pre-requirements completed (all A's except for a B in org I). I have one pending course that I'm taking this semester (my master's thesis) which won't be finished until the end of April. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Feeling discouraged that I haven't heard back yet... anybody else in the same boat? I've been complete since mid-September but judging by the stats of those who got waitlisted its becoming apparent that I don't really have a snowball's chance :cryi:

I have yet to hear anything and its driving me nuts, just wish they would contact me for any decision at this point. @AlteredScale what were your stats?

3.69 sGPA and 3.7 cGPA, 26 MCAT (VERY unbalanced).

Also not from the region as well. So from the get-go, chances were a tad bit slim!

But yeah, I applied here in July so that definitely took a while.

Welp finally heard back. Got an email this morning, waitlisted. Which I kinda feel like is a secret no.

Got an acceptance e-mail right when I was about to call! Yay! Thanks Johnamo for your encouragement last year and this year. :)

Stats: 32 years of life experience

Reactions: 12 users
I'm still waiting . Hopefully I get some news today

Reactions: 1 user
Wait listed as well, got an email around 8 this morning. Hopefully there is movement for us all on sdn!

Members don't see this ad :)
goodluck to all those on the waitlist

you guys are awesome!!! because of all these posts i actually have something to hope for today instead of just practicing for my caribbean med school (AUC) interview

goodluck to all those on the waitlist

you guys are awesome!!! because of all these posts i actually have something to hope for today instead of just practicing for my caribbean med school (AUC) interview
Do not go Caribbean....

Do not go Caribbean....

dude im not waiting anymore, possibly retaking the mcat for a 3rd time, taking masters classes and wasting another year when i can enroll in may with a class of only about 120 in an accredited school that i can come back to michigan after 2 years and do rotations andddd on top of all that get my MD. clearly i have to kick ass and the school will be tough but its med school, nothing in this career field comes easy anywhere u go

but lets hope the acceptance call comes soon and dont have to deal with all that hahahahah :D

dude im not waiting anymore, possibly retaking the mcat for a 3rd time, taking masters classes and wasting another year when i can enroll in may with a class of only about 120 in an accredited school that i can come back to michigan after 2 years and do rotations andddd on top of all that get my MD. clearly i have to kick ass and the school will be tough but its med school, nothing in this career field comes easy anywhere u go

but lets hope the acceptance call comes soon and dont have to deal with all that hahahahah :D

I understand that the wait sucks. But, PLEASE be careful in making this decision. Make sure you have done exhaustive research on match rates, board scores, etc. for the programs in the Caribbean. The few people I know who went to a medical school in the Caribbean had to take a year off or more to match into a residency program. I am not sure what the match rate stats are, but I know they are not nearly as good as a US MD/DO school. You are correct in the sense of kicking butt on board scores to help you in getting a residency. Look into what kind of support they have for their students in studying for boards. Of course, if you have a strong interest in primary care, you will most likely match into a program. I just have seen the repercussions of those who have decided that the wait of another year wasn't worth it and went to the Caribbean. So I tend to warn people on knowing EXACTLY what they are getting themselves into. If you think it's worth the risk, then by all means go for it! That obviously is completely your decision. Just make sure it's an informed decision :)

I'm starting to think that the ADCOM just lost my number. Yeah I'm sure thats it...

Reactions: 3 users
I'm starting to think that the ADCOM just lost my number. Yeah I'm sure thats it...
I definitely have checked the portal more than once to make sure my number and email address were correct!

hey guys. I was wondering whether you guys think I have a shot getting in? I submitted my secondary really LATE on the deadline 02/19, Canadian 3.5 sGPa, 3.2 cGPA and 32 MCAT. Pretty decent ECs. And do you guyz have any clue when the Canadian spots open up. Thanks.

hey guys. I was wondering whether you guys think I have a shot getting in? I submitted my secondary really LATE on the deadline 02/19, Canadian 3.5 sGPa, 3.2 cGPA and 32 MCAT. Pretty decent ECs. And do you guyz have any clue when the Canadian spots open up. Thanks.

Doubt it, way too late. The canadian stats are significantly higher than yours for people who applied early.

I hope you threw an app to maybe Touro-NY middle town or LMU-DCOM - they might still have seats and be willing, but a february app is way too late for low stats.

AZCOM/CCOM might throw you an interview - they(Specifically AZCOM) take a lot of Canadians, because they know it's on the bottom of most of our lists because of the tuition costs and wanting 4 years tuition upfront. They've been taking a fair amount of Canadians for interviews/acceptances who otherwise didn't get many other interviews.

Definitely re-apply this upcoming cycle and apply first thing in May. If you can, maybe try to retake a class or two to bring up your cGPA - so you have a better shot at some schools. Your MCAT is strong though, so that could make up for the low GPA's.

Good luck!

I thought the deadline was December 1st?

Still haven't heard back yet but at least it looks like their reviewing more apps faster now since they used 3 days to contact applicants this week

I believe the December deadline is for the primary (AACOMAS) application, while early Feb. is for the secondary.

Regardless, applying as early as possible is pretty important here (esp for Canadian applicants).

Didn't they have a 30 day deadline for the secondary as well? So there is really no point of having a traditional secondary deadline.

Didn't they have a 30 day deadline for the secondary as well? So there is really no point of having a traditional secondary deadline.
Don't think that's a hard deadline. I could be wrong tho

Hey, if any female is still looking for a place to live in East Lansing, PM me!

Got an acceptance e-mail right when I was about to call! Yay! Thanks Johnamo for your encouragement last year and this year. :)

Stats: 32 years of life experience

Congratulations!!! You deserve it!

Hey all,

Congratulations to all the newly accepted class of 2019-ers!

I have posted this before but I wanted to extended my help/advice again.

So I'm a current first-year (in good standing), was waitlisted last year in early February and accepted at the very end of April. I also attended the EL campus for the Summer and Fall semester and I am now at the DMC campus.

If you have any questions (waitlist, study tips and pointers, site pros and cons etc) please feel free to inbox/message me!!

Anxiously awaiting the March update. We probably won't hear anything today, right?

Accepted off the waitlist today. Best of luck to others waiting

Reactions: 7 users

no way!!! wow, congrats!!! i thought they only accepted students every other week???? thats exciting news for us waiting, maybe it means they realized they have been stalling for too damn long and need to speed up the process lol

I was at the tour today and I asked Dr.Falls about the wait list. He said some years a lot get off and some years not many do, so it just depends. He also said word for word "they're working on the alternate list right now", which I thought meant they are only putting students on, not accepting anymore. I guess he was describing your situation

I was at the tour today and I asked Dr.Falls about the wait list. He said some years a lot get off and some years not many do, so it just depends. He also said word for word "they're working on the alternate list right now", which I thought meant they are only putting students on, not accepting anymore. I guess he was describing your situation
So where would that put a student that has not received a rejection or waitlist? SOL

So where would that put a student that has not received a rejection or waitlist? SOL

I'm just speculating, I have no clue. I think the reason we didn't get an update is they are waiting until next week to see how many spots are left.

I personally think they are either wait listing or rejecting from here on out. Someone gives up there spot, take one off the wait list.

I got a call. Stats: 3.6 sGPA, 3.7 cGPA, 29 Mcat, OOS, complete mid-September, waitlisted end of October

I'm just speculating, I have no clue. I think the reason we didn't get an update is they are waiting until next week to see how many spots are left.

I personally think they are either wait listing or rejecting from here on out. Someone gives up there spot, take one off the wait list.

I remember that last year there were some straight out acceptances posted on SDN after this time; however, most people are either waitlisted or rejected from here on out. So, there is still hope if this year follows last year's course. Rooting for all the people who haven't heard back and all the waitlisters! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Any idea where I can find a recent match list? Most recent I found was 2013. Anybody know if they released this year's or last years?

When does the next round of acceptances/wait lists/rejections generally go out? How often are they reviewing applicants?

When does the next round of acceptances/wait lists/rejections generally go out? How often are they reviewing applicants?

If they only send out an update letter this week ill be pissed cause its been 2 weeks since the last time they accteped people