Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they only send out an update letter this week ill be pissed cause its been 2 weeks since the last time they accteped people

They accepted people last week if you look at the top of this page.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have recently been admitted, when are your seat deposits due? Does anyone know when withdrawal deadlines are?

Anyone on here going to closer look day? Or is there anyone who went last year?

To those accepted and looking for housing. What are you looking into? anyone need roommates (Male)?

To those accepted and looking for housing. What are you looking into? anyone need roommates (Male)?
I decided on Berrytree Apartments. There were a lot of med/vet students there and they were pretty nice. It is about a 5 min drive to Fee Hall, I have a one bedroom on the top floor and rent is about $850

I decided on Berrytree Apartments. There were a lot of med/vet students there and they were pretty nice. It is about a 5 min drive to Fee Hall, I have a one bedroom on the top floor and rent is about $850
I will just pm you

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to figure out if I should put MSUCOM on my list of schools. 3.88 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA and a low MCAT 24 ( 6P, 10V, 8B) nontraditional WI resident if that matters. Before you tell me to retake the MCAT, I have some extenuating circumstances involving family and hospice. Retaking just isn't an option right, I just want to know if I can apply to MSUCOM as is. Please advise.

Those are some dope stats for DO school so I would definetely put the application in for it. Just make sure you submit the first day and I would bring up the circumstances involving your family in either your primary or secondary essays. How are your extracurriculars and did your lower MCAT score coincide with the time period you were having family troubles? This will be an important point to bring up if these family troubles impacted your ability to properly prepare for MCAT the first time.

If you look on the Facebook page you'll find lots of people looking for roommates -- I believe there's also a document that was created to help match people up.
where is this facebook page?

Just for admitted students I assume?
Yes, I believe so.

It's this Saturday.

Does anyone know what the dress code is? Should I wear a dress shirt and tie? Or is it more casual?
I don't believe there's a dress code per-se, but shirt and tie is never a bad idea -- you'll probably see a mix of business casual and business professional.

It's this Saturday.

Does anyone know what the dress code is? Should I wear a dress shirt and tie? Or is it more casual?

On the bottom of the flyer they've attached to the email, it says "dress comfortably." So you better have a comfortable suit! :p I think khakis/polo would be fine...but this might mean even more casual? I'm going to do the whole khakis/polo thing. Yeah...

Accepted!!! See you alll at closer look Saturday!

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted today. Complete 12/11/2014. OOS (Canadian).

I can't remember where I read this, but is it true that a certain number of students on the waiting list are accepted for the following year if they aren't admitted for the year they applied?

Did anyone get Accepted today that wasn't waitlisted? Still haven't heard a peep, time to abandon hope I guess!

Reactions: 1 user
@ISM im in the same boat, ive been complete since 10/13 but havent heard anything. Ive sent updates of fall semester and another one regarding my new research lab that im apart of. Still waiting.......

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted today. Attending the tour on April 10th in EL. Good luck to everyone still waiting and wait listed!!!

Yet another Thursday of radio silence. At this point I just want any response :bang:

Have they sent the March update yet?
Waitlisted today. Attending the tour on April 10th in EL. Good luck to everyone still waiting and wait listed!!!

Is this tour for anyone? Where can I get more details about it?

Have they sent the March update yet?

Is this tour for anyone? Where can I get more details about it?

That thought just went through my mind! No March update AND no news for me yet. Talk about an uneventful month.

Yes, I believe so.

I don't believe there's a dress code per-se, but shirt and tie is never a bad idea -- you'll probably see a mix of business casual and business professional.

Did you go to the one last year johnamo?

On the bottom of the flyer they've attached to the email, it says "dress comfortably." So you better have a comfortable suit! :p I think khakis/polo would be fine...but this might mean even more casual? I'm going to do the whole khakis/polo thing. Yeah...

Yeah haha I don't know what I'll wear

Yet another Thursday of radio silence. At this point I just want any response :bang:

sameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and im so sick of ppl saying "no news is good news sometimes" lol just tell us alreadyyy

oh ya and just got accepted to AUC...time to boss up and get thius MD baby

Good Job Matt Stafford9, I just got into AUC as well, MD status!

So what time do these phone calls go out? and do they call on Friday's?

Congrts on AUC acceptance. You are not an MD until go through medical school and pass boards.

Doesn't seem like people got calls on Friday over last few weeks.

Congrts on AUC acceptance. You are not an MD until go through medical school and pass boards.

Relax BRO. We know what an official MD requires. No need to get so technical

I'm sure he doesn't believe he's an MD right now.. He's excited and rightly so

sameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and im so sick of ppl saying "no news is good news sometimes" lol just tell us alreadyyy

oh ya and just got accepted to AUC...time to boss up and get thius MD baby

Not trying to sound ignorant, but is getting into AUC an accomplishment?

I can't remember where I read this, but is it true that a certain number of students on the waiting list are accepted for the following year if they aren't admitted for the year they applied?

They did this in previous cycles - but I would add that being waitlisted probably has some movement, as i'm sure a few people accepted will get into Canadian MD schools. And there are a few who probably would go to USMD schools (those who care about their titles).

I'm assuming you applied to other schools? With the CAD to USD conversion rate, i'd look towards other cheaper schools unless you've got family money (Y)

Not trying to sound ignorant, but is getting into AUC an accomplishment?
Yea actually it is an accomplishment. If I recall correctly the average mcat for AUC from prior years was a 25. Getting into any medical school, even in the Caribbean is NOT easy. You still have to take the prereqs and mcat. You still have to study. And let's not forget that at the end of the day when you're out there practicing medicine, it really won't matter where your MD (or DO) is from. Regardless, you will still be a doctor. And if you put in enough hard work you can become a great physician even if you go to AUC or MSU or wherever.

Reactions: 2 users

you mind sharing your stats?

Yea actually it is an accomplishment. If I recall correctly the average mcat for AUC from prior years was a 25. Getting into any medical school, even in the Caribbean is NOT easy. You still have to take the prereqs and mcat. You still have to study. And let's not forget that at the end of the day when you're out there practicing medicine, it really won't matter where your MD (or DO) is from. Regardless, you will still be a doctor. And if you put in enough hard work you can become a great physician even if you go to AUC or MSU or wherever.

I completely agree! In the end, after completing medical school anywhere, you WILL be a physician. A Caribbean student who makes it back into the states still took the same STEPS as an American student, so the education must be there.

Sure.

Psych/Bio major
MCAT 27/25/26 (in that order... long story)
GPA 3.79
A lot of extra-curriculars
Honours Thesis & Publication
Only shadowed MDs (Canadian psychiatrist, American PMnR)

Best of luck.

They did this in previous cycles - but I would add that being waitlisted probably has some movement, as i'm sure a few people accepted will get into Canadian MD schools. And there are a few who probably would go to USMD schools (those who care about their titles).

I'm assuming you applied to other schools? With the CAD to USD conversion rate, i'd look towards other cheaper schools unless you've got family money (Y)

Currently waitlisted at TouroCOM as well, although I will likely decline even if accepted. Great facilities but it wasn't the place for me. Waiting to hear back from other schools... Yeah the conversion rate certainly doesn't make things easier. o_O

Out of curiosity what's the last date they can notify people who have not been waitlisted yet?

Out of curiosity what's the last date they can notify people who have not been waitlisted yet?

I dont believe there is a last day. Same as being on the waitlist, until june 10th...

when is the day that you must only hold 1 acceptance from a school...may 1st??

I dont believe there is a last day. Same as being on the waitlist, until june 10th...

when is the day that you must only hold 1 acceptance from a school...may 1st??
But with the waitlist already being filled, would they accept non-waitlisted people still? Especially since a couple of people have been offered admission off of the waitlist already? I know no one will have the answer to that, but I am wondering what the logic is behind that (if true).

Hi everyone. Applying to MSUCOM for fall 2016. Hate to play the stat game but what are my chances with a 3.35 cGPA 3.35 sGPA 31 MCAT? 900+ volunteering 400 shadowing DO's and MD's. In state and a non science major. Still need to take one of the bio pre reqs.

I really like the look of MSU's program so I'm looking for all the info I can.

Good luck to everyone