Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone. Applying to MSUCOM for fall 2016. Hate to play the stat game but what are my chances with a 3.35 cGPA 3.35 sGPA 31 MCAT? 900+ volunteering 400 shadowing DO's and MD's. In state and a non science major. Still need to take one of the bio pre reqs.

I really like the look of MSU's program so I'm looking for all the info I can.

Good luck to everyone
You got a great chance. Just apply in June. Your mcat and in-state status will help you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. Applying to MSUCOM for fall 2016. Hate to play the stat game but what are my chances with a 3.35 cGPA 3.35 sGPA 31 MCAT? 900+ volunteering 400 shadowing DO's and MD's. In state and a non science major. Still need to take one of the bio pre reqs.

I really like the look of MSU's program so I'm looking for all the info I can.

Good luck to everyone
I would say you look competitive overall from a pure numbers standpoint. With good essays, letters, and a compelling interest, I think you have a good chance. Best of luck with the application!

Reactions: 1 user
So I haven't gotten a rejection letter or status update on my application status page from MSUCOM. I've been receiving the monthly update emails but not for March. My application was completed on October 13th not sure if it's time to abandon hope for MSUCOM Fall 2015. Any thoughts or similar situations out there?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But with the waitlist already being filled, would they accept non-waitlisted people still? Especially since a couple of people have been offered admission off of the waitlist already? I know no one will have the answer to that, but I am wondering what the logic is behind that (if true).

they will be rejecting a lot of people who are not on the waitlist in the next week or 2. thats the word from a friend of mine who met with an advisor today. so it looks like things will be getting reallllll interesting real quick. last year a few people did get accepted this late without being puit on the list (maybe 3-5). it all depends on how many accepted students from this years class get accepted to other schools and leave their seat open for us!!!! does anyone know the day that you must pick 1 school of choice?????

@impacttyee , there are a couple of us on SDN that are in a similar boat. I was compete later than you were, though. And as far as I know, no March update has been sent out.

they will be rejecting a lot of people who are not on the waitlist in the next week or 2. thats the word from a friend of mine who met with an advisor today. so it looks like things will be getting reallllll interesting real quick. last year a few people did get accepted this late without being puit on the list (maybe 3-5). it all depends on how many accepted students from this years class get accepted to other schools and leave their seat open for us!!!! does anyone know the day that you must pick 1 school of choice?????

At my interview day with another school, the Dean said the middle of May is when most MD schools in the nation finish offering admission through their waitlists, so I would imagine around then is when the most movement would happen. I also do not know if what he said is true, as I have never heard of that before. Dumb question probably, but does anyone know if and how the waitlist is ranked?

So I haven't gotten a rejection letter or status update on my application status page from MSUCOM. I've been receiving the monthly update emails but not for March. My application was completed on October 13th not sure if it's time to abandon hope for MSUCOM Fall 2015. Any thoughts or similar situations out there?

You mean JUNE 2015

At my interview day with another school, the Dean said the middle of May is when most MD schools in the nation finish offering admission through their waitlists, so I would imagine around then is when the most movement would happen. I also do not know if what he said is true, as I have never heard of that before. Dumb question probably, but does anyone know if and how the waitlist is ranked?

They give no information on the wait list, which is total BS.

Ha I was complete lm the same day and I'm also waiting.

Ha I was complete lm the same day and I'm also waiting.

I was done a week later and am in the same boat. At this point I will be pulling hard for MSU to lose this weekend unless I hear something before then...

Wait list offer today... complete late December ... IS

Complete since June/July, and still nothing, IS. Praying for the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also does anyone have the link to the admissions portal? My computer died and I lost the URL

Also does anyone have the link to the admissions portal? My computer died and I lost the URL
admissions.com.msu.edu
Hope you get in as well! Man I'm getting nervous, I hope I hear something soon.

Waitlisted people, mind sharing stats and if you're IS or OOS?

Doesn't make you sound ignorant, but does make you sound quite pretentious..

Cool story bro.

We all know Carib schools are the bottom of the barrel, I was genuinely interested in knowing about their admissions process, without generalizing.

Waitlisted today. IS student. Application was completed 8/24. cGPA 3.56 sGPA 3.6 MCAT 24. Completed Athletic Training undergrad from MSU in 2013 and have worked as Head ATC at local high schools for the past 2 years while completing prerequisites. Lots of DO shadowing and hands on experience. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 3 users
Just wondering if the time an applicant is waitlisted has any relation to his/her chances of being accepted off the waitlist? Looking over last year's thread, it seems as though the earlier an applicant was waitlisted the higher the chances of being accepted were. However, this could be pure speculation and have no effect whatsoever.

Last edited:
Wait listed today, it's good to finally hear something.

Cool story bro.

We all know Carib schools are the bottom of the barrel, I was genuinely interested in knowing about their admissions process, without generalizing.

Alright I think we all need to try to be nicer to each other here, med school admissions are stressful and we all are going through it, and it doesn't do any of us good to refer to any school or group of schools as the bottom of the barrel, or go back and forth arguing the opposite. So on that note congrats to admitted students, US and carribean schools alike :)

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone heard back today? I talked to one one of my friends today and she said that she heard that IS applicants are to hear about a decision by April 1. Not sure how true this is.

I am also instate and have not heard anything back yet either. Though I imagine that we will surely have a response within the next week or two!

Another Thursday gone by... until next week.

It looks like I spoke too soon. Waitlisted today. It's going to tough waiting for the next 2 months.

Thanks. Maybe by the time I visit in May.

Help, please...
After accepting my waitlist offer I was able to select my preference to attend the April 10th tour date on the admissions website. I can no longer see what time the tour date begins/ends and received no email confirmation. Does anyone know how I can see that information again? All I'm directed to is the "Visit Day and Directions" pdf which doesn't have the time details... Any help would be much appreciated!

Help, please...
After accepting my waitlist offer I was able to select my preference to attend the April 10th tour date on the admissions website. I can no longer see what time the tour date begins/ends and received no email confirmation. Does anyone know how I can see that information again? All I'm directed to is the "Visit Day and Directions" pdf which doesn't have the time details... Any help would be much appreciated!
Hmm that's weird it doesn't have the time on the portal for you. It's on our events calendar from 12-5pm but I'm not sure your day is actually scheduled that long... so I can at least tell you it's not early morning or late evening.

I would just give the office a call on Monday if nobody else on here has specific information. :)

Hmm that's weird it doesn't have the time on the portal for you. It's on our events calendar from 12-5pm but I'm not sure your day is actually scheduled that long... so I can at least tell you it's not early morning or late evening.

I would just give the office a call on Monday if nobody else on here has specific information. :)

Thanks again!! I'll do that :).

This is a question for any current MSUCOM students, I know MSU has a DO/MD programs and I was wondering if the DO students feel like there is any competing for the same resources or any disadvantage to attending a school with an allopathic program. Thanks in advance.

This is a question for any current MSUCOM students, I know MSU has a DO/MD programs and I was wondering if the DO students feel like there is any competing for the same resources or any disadvantage to attending a school with an allopathic program. Thanks in advance.
In my opinion... absolutely not. The campus is a huge one, and there are plenty of resources to go around (plus the COM is much larger and has more of a presence in EL). I can't think of any specific resources besides research positions... and I have found available projects with every PI I contacted. If anything, it's an advantage due to more medical faculty on campus and the ability to have lecturers/research in many subspecialties. Is there anything you're specifically concerned about?

Not really, I'm asking because I'm accepted to Nova (among other schools) and they just announced this setup last week so id figured it was good to ask in this thread since MSUCOM is the only other school with this arrangement.

Not really, I'm asking because I'm accepted to Nova (among other schools) and they just announced this setup last week so id figured it was good to ask in this thread since MSUCOM is the only other school with this arrangement.
Mmm gotcha. We have a collegial relationship with the CHM students -- though we really do not officially interact in any way, shape, or form. In general, there are no disadvantages I can think of.

I accepted my waitlist offer last week, and i saw they gave options for dates to visit. I went to Michigan State so i have kinda seen a lot with the school. But does going to this visit date help your chances of getting accepted off the waitlist at all or is it just to check out the school?

Have all IS people heard back by now??????????? Or are there are still those who haven't?

So is it safe to say that those of us who haven't heard anything by now will be either rejected or waitlisted? Or is there still a chance for acceptance?? Just tyrin to see what my chances are at this point in time.

So is it safe to say that those of us who haven't heard anything by now will be either rejected or waitlisted? Or is there still a chance for acceptance?? Just tyrin to see what my chances are at this point in time.
I would expect that further outright acceptances are very unlikely at this point in time. Not impossible, but, with orientation in just slightly over two months, things are becoming increasingly more fixed. Of course I'm just a student, so I can't say for sure what exactly goes on in admissions. :)

:)I really hope that there is some movement in the waitlist this week!! Fingers crossed for everyone

I would expect that further outright acceptances are very unlikely at this point in time. Not impossible, but, with orientation in just slightly over two months, things are becoming increasingly more fixed. Of course I'm just a student, so I can't say for sure what exactly goes on in admissions. :)

Johnamo, do you think that there will be some movement in the waiting list soon :) ?

I think we still might see some movement. Everything seems to be done later this years versus other years so I believe the chances are still there.

Rowan has both types of schools as well.