Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS, haven't heard a thing either. Sent an update letter a couple of months ago. I have a feeling we will hear something this week (but not a feeling it'll be good). Fingers crossed for everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1428511178.582091.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a call saying that they had an opening and that I'd be seeing a new tab in my secondary portal soon...I guess this means I got accepted? Yay?

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys,

I was hoping you can tell me if it is likely that MSUCOM will allow me to defer for one year. As background information, I am Canadian and was offered an acceptance back in December. I was very excited about MSUCOM and rejected all other offers. Due to unexpected reason, my co-signer was inelligible to cosign the huge loan to go to MSUCOM in March. We have visited many different banks in Canada but the answer is the same. So, now, I asked for deferment and am nervously waiting for it. I am hoping to work during this extra year to save some money to lower the loan burden as well as finding extra co-signer to help me acquire this huge loan.

Do you think I will be approved by MSUCOM for deferment? I really want to go...

Hey guys,

I was hoping you can tell me if it is likely that MSUCOM will allow me to defer for one year. As background information, I am Canadian and was offered an acceptance back in December. I was very excited about MSUCOM and rejected all other offers. Due to unexpected reason, my co-signer was inelligible to cosign the huge loan to go to MSUCOM in March. We have visited many different banks in Canada but the answer is the same. So, now, I asked for deferment and am nervously waiting for it. I am hoping to work during this extra year to save some money to lower the loan burden as well as finding extra co-signer to help me acquire this huge loan.

That sounds like a legitimate reason to defer.

I talked to Katie about deferring last year and it sounded like it was not too difficult for a deferral request to be approved. However, I am not sure how your Canadian status may affect this.

I just got a call saying that they had an opening and that I'd be seeing a new tab in my secondary portal soon...I guess this means I got accepted? Yay?
That's awesome! What's the likelihood you will accept?

Hey guys,

They seem very open to deferments. I had a unique situation this year and the first thing they offered was a deferment (without me even asking). I got the impression that since they start so early, they are willing to be flexible when unexpected circumstances arise. It would probably help to be able to show them that you won't run into any co-signer issues again next year.

Congratulations!!!

They seem very open to deferments. I had a unique situation this year and the first thing they offered was a deferment (without me even asking). I got the impression that since they start so early, they are willing to be flexible when unexpected circumstances arise. It would probably help to be able to show them that you won't run into any co-signer issues again next year.

That's nice to hear. I don't think I will have cosigner problem next year. In fact, I did not expect this problem at all. Canadian banks are nervous bunch of people. They demand collaterals. Unfortunately, since my mother wants to move back to her hometown, my parent just sold their home. Since I don't want to rush them to rebuy another home, we have this situation.

Do you think I should phone to talk to Katherine, the Director of Admission, even though I have already sent her the reason why I am asking for a deferal?

Hey everyone! I got a call today saying that a spot opened and they would like to offer me a position. They said I would receive "a few emails in a few hours" around 7 hours ago. Still haven't gotten any emails. The only thing separating the reality of me being offered a spot from the non-reality dream universe is the notification of the voicemail I got on my phone and the memory of the admissions secretary in my head.

Did anyone have to wait a while to get their emails?

Good luck to everyone still waiting by the way. If I get accepted off of Wayne's waitlist, I will withdraw my spot from MSUCOM, so the good fortune will be passed on :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I got a call today saying that a spot opened and they would like to offer me a position. They said I would receive "a few emails in a few hours" around 7 hours ago. Still haven't gotten any emails. The only thing separating the reality of me being offered a spot from the non-reality dream universe is the notification of the voicemail I got on my phone and the memory of the admissions secretary in my head.

Did anyone have to wait a while to get their emails?

Good luck to everyone still waiting by the way. If I get accepted off of Wayne's waitlist, I will withdraw my spot from MSUCOM, so the good fortune will be passed on :)

Congrats! Were you accepted after being waitlisted or just outright accepted ?

Thank you! I was not waitlisted, so it seems they accepted me outright.

Still looks like no major movement in the waitlist yet and still acceptences going on....going crazy here! "Waitlist problems"....tomorrows a new day though :)

Do you perhaps know anything about how long it takes to get the official emails with the financial and logistic details?

Accepted yesterday! Received the emails this morning. Was not ever placed on the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected this morning! Good luck to everyone else! Fingers crossed for all of y'all.

Help, please...
After accepting my waitlist offer I was able to select my preference to attend the April 10th tour date on the admissions website. I can no longer see what time the tour date begins/ends and received no email confirmation. Does anyone know how I can see that information again? All I'm directed to is the "Visit Day and Directions" pdf which doesn't have the time details... Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm in the same situation, did you end up calling to find out the times? I was hoping they would send a confirmation email at some point but I haven't received one!

Just got word that East Lansing and Detroit are full, looks like all new admits only get Macomb.

I'm in the same situation, did you end up calling to find out the times? I was hoping they would send a confirmation email at some point but I haven't received one!

I called the East Lansing number and they told me it'll be tomorrow (April 10) 1pm-4:30. Unfortunately I can't make it anymore but hope you have a good time.

Hey guys,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I highly doubt your deferral will be rejected though. I'm Canadian too and just recently talked with Anne Snyder about how the deferral process works. I'm on the waiting list so we talked about it from that context. She said that they don't usually give too many Canadians on the waiting list guaranteed acceptances for the following year due to having limited seats for them each year (would be unfair to the next cycle of applicants if say 5 out of the 25 spots are already taken). However, she did say they are very understanding of Canadian situations and like to give us enough time to have our finances sorted out. That's for people on the waiting list, so I believe if you're already accepted the chances of approving your deferral are high. Additionally, if you defer your acceptance you will still have the option to choose whichever campus you'd like. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Does anybody know if today is a day where those who have been waiting will hear something? Meaning are they giving out the few acceptances they have left bi weekly anymore or is it just random at this point?

Feels like wait listed applicants are facing slim chances

I'm guessing everyone got an email today waitlist or rejection ...

I'm guessing everyone got an email today waitlist or rejection ...
Nope! Still nothing over here. I even sent an update letter in December. I'd call, but they're just going to say to keep waiting, so whatevs

I got an email saying they are full. And since I'm on the wait list I will be notified from now until June .

Here's the email

"MSUCOM Waitlist FAQs

How many people are usually admitted from the waitlist?

The number of applicants admitted from the waitlist varies greatly from year to year. In some years, we have filled as many as a quarter of the seats in the entering class from the waitlist.

What is the size of the entering class?

We expect to enroll 300 students in the incoming first-year class.

What is the earliest or latest date that I may be admitted?

You could be admitted at any time after you have been placed on the waitlist until the week before the entering class matriculates in June. Typically, the greatest movement on the waitlist occurs from late April to mid-May. For Canadian applicants, May 1 is the latest admission date due to the time needed to process student visas/I-20s.

What are my chances of being admitted from the waitlist at MSUCOM?

The greatest factor affecting your chances is the number of withdrawals we receive before our class matriculates in June. Any number of individuals currently holding positions in our entering class may also be holding multiple waitlist positions at other schools, and any number of those individuals may receive an offer from another school and withdraw from MSUCOM to accept an offer. We cannot predict how many withdrawals we will receive between now and matriculation, and hence we cannot give you any meaningful assessment of the likelihood of your admission to MSUCOM.

Should I make alternative plans for next year?

Some candidates in this position intend to apply to medical school for the following year if not admitted this year, and those candidates often begin the reapplication process in June. Other candidates consider employment opportunities or other academic programs. You must decide how much risk you are willing to tolerate to remain available for a medical school offer, or at what point in time you feel it is in your best interest to withdraw from the waitlist and make other commitments for the fall.

What will happen if I am not admitted?

After the class matriculates in June, we will notify everyone who is still holding a waitlist position and announce that we have concluded the admissions process for the incoming first-year class. You may choose to schedule an advising appointment to discuss opportunities to improve your application for the next admissions cycle.

What can I do to improve my chances of being admitted? May I add new documents to my file?

You may upload updated transcripts by logging into the admissions system. However, it is not necessary for you to do this, and at this point in the process such material is unlikely to change the outcome of your application.

If I am admitted, may I defer my admissions offer?

You may request a deferral of your admissions offer by sending an email with a detailed summary of the reason for your request. It is not possible to defer based on site placement preference.

If offered admission, what can I expect?

You will be provided a link with thorough information about next steps within the offer of admission including a list of books required, guide to searching for an apartment, and access to specific resources. Even if you are notified close to the beginning of the start date you will have enough time to get everything organized before and during orientation."

Why slim chances for waitlist people? It explicitly says in the email that movement generally happens starting late April, we're only in the beginning of April! Don't lose hope!!

Well I think they're * saying don't bet on it but I'm still hopeful. Anyone know how many people they waitlist ?

Last edited:
D
I got an email saying they are full. And since I'm on the wait list I will be notified from now until June .

Did you specifically email them asking if the class was full, cause I didn't see that in the "waitlist faqs" email I got.

D

Did you specifically email them asking if the class was full, cause I didn't see that in the "waitlist faqs" email I got.
No I did not, but given that they sent this email I'm just assuming. Did you or anyone else get this email ?

Is there a list of deadlines for accepted students to follow?

I also got that e-mail. I hate to say it but I think there are a lot of students on the waitlist just from seeing how many people have been waitlisted on here alone. You never know though I guess.

This is from an e-mail conversation I had today with Anne

"We do have people come off the waitlist and it can happen during the next month or two
I always tell students to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. So start to prepare for reapplication if you do not get off the list. We can discuss how best to do that in a appointment.
Enjoy your tour!
Anne"

I think the majority amount of movement will happen in May, that's when md schools send out their last acceptance

I also got that e-mail. I hate to say it but I think there are a lot of students on the waitlist just from seeing how many people have been waitlisted on here alone. You never know though I guess.

This is from an e-mail conversation I had today with Anne

"We do have people come off the waitlist and it can happen during the next month or two
I always tell students to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. So start to prepare for reapplication if you do not get off the list. We can discuss how best to do that in a appointment.
Enjoy your tour!
Anne"
Very true ....when were you waitlisted Walters0919?

Alright then, let's get a head count of who's wait listed in this thread.

+1