Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is it a good sign u wer put on the waitlist early (like october)? and do they only send out admission offers on Thursdays?
this is the worst loll

Canadian applicant or instate :)? It seems like last year that the time an applicant was placed on the waitlist didn't matter but it would be nice if that were the case ! Hopefully we will all FINALLY see some movement next week ! I bet at this point we all have some form of insomnia:) ....I know I do

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian applicant or instate :)? It seems like last year that the time an applicant was placed on the waitlist didn't matter but it would be nice if that were the case ! Hopefully we will all FINALLY see some movement next week ! I bet at this point we all have some form of insomnia:) ....I know I do
I'm getting blisters from refreshing my email on my phone constantly :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a Canadian applicant or instate ???

I'm in-state. I applied D.O./Ph.D. Went to the interview and was denied for that, they recommended that I go and get a master's degree. I was told, "I had the research and knowledge of what the research was exactly for, but not the graduate course work to make them feel comfortable". I guess a lot of the applicants that they were interested in had a lot more "strenous" curriculums under their belt. C'est la vie. Then they just called and said to consider me as a D.O. only applicant and that's when I got the e-mail for the waitlist. My roommate was already accepted. She said that last year they filled quite a bit of seats and it didn't matter when you were placed on the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in-state. I applied D.O./Ph.D. Went to the interview and was denied for that, they recommended that I go and get a master's degree. I was told, "I had the research and knowledge of what the research was exactly for, but not the graduate course work to make them feel comfortable". I guess a lot of the applicants that they were interested in had a lot more "strenous" curriculums under their belt. C'est la vie. Then they just called and said to consider me as a D.O. only applicant and that's when I got the e-mail for the waitlist. My roommate was already accepted. She said that last year they filled quite a bit of seats and it didn't matter when you were placed on the waitlist.

The waitlist filled a lot of seats?

That's what I was told. I didn't know anyone who went to MSUCOM last year, but she did. She told me they filled quite a few seats. Most of my friends went to CHM or Wayne. I say most as in four people in total. ;)

That's what I was told. I didn't know anyone who went to MSUCOM last year, but she did. She told me they filled quite a few seats. Most of my friends went to CHM or Wayne. I say most as in four people in total. ;)
When did these people hear after May 15th?

When did these people hear after May 15th?

That information was not provided. I was just told that they had been. The only one I know for sure was a friend who applied late last year, and only to Wayne. She had a 4.0, 34 MCAT, and only applied to the one medical school. Waitlisted at Wayne, found out the week of finals last year. First week of May I do believe.

Rejected. Completed in October. 3.6/30. Now I can continue hating Michigan State in peace. Based on the letter, I am under the impression that nobody every read my application responses.

Rejected. Completed in October. 3.6/30. Now I can continue hating Michigan State in peace. Based on the letter, I am under the impression that nobody every read my application responses.

Sorry about that. What'd the letter say?

Sorry about that. What'd the letter say?

"Thank you for your interest in Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. It is our privilege to learn about the achievements, qualities and characteristics of so many outstanding students. The Admissions Committee has completed the review process and regrets to inform you that you are no longer being considered as a candidate for the 2015 entering class.

In recognition of your accomplishments and effort, however, the admissions team would be pleased to answer any questions you may have. If interested in meeting to discuss ways to improve your application for the next admissions cycle, you mayschedule an appointment.

We wish you the greatest success and hope you find fulfillment with your future endeavors."

Considering they did not state that they reviewed my application in this letter, I am under the impression that they did not do so. Every other rejection letter that I have received has included some combination of the phrase, "After thoroughly reviewing your application".

I am lucky to have other acceptances but this was my first choice, at least when I initially applied. I have soured on the school during the past several months when it became more unlikely that they would not review my application. Considering the great amount of effort that they require for their secondary responses this became quite infuriating. I scheduled an advising appointment to find out whether or not they actually read my secondary responses. I am not going to reapply, but I feel as though they at least owe their applicants this information.

Good luck to the rest of you!!

Does anyone know what the popular apartments for med students are in EL?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been accepted off the wait list yet? Looking through last year's thread, it seemed like a few people were accepted from the wait list by this time last year. But it also seems like things are generally being pushed later and later this year.

Has anyone been accepted off the wait list yet? Looking through last year's thread, it seemed like a few people were accepted from the wait list by this time last year. But it also seems like things are generally being pushed later and later this year.
April 30th through May 15th is more than likely when major movement will take place

April 30th is the last day md applicants can hold more that one acceptance. People on md waitlist will move up, some of those students may hold d.o acceptance. Those that get md acceptances will more than likely withdrawal their d.o acceptances. Thus moving the do waitlist up.

Reactions: 1 users
April 30th is the last day md applicants can hold more that one acceptance. People on md waitlist will move up, some of those students may hold d.o acceptance. Those that get md acceptances will more than likely withdrawal their d.o acceptances. Thus moving the do waitlist up.

wow nice!! thank you for making things more clear and giving some more hope

For people on the waitlist or in general is MSU your #1 choice and have you been accepted or waitlisted somewhere else and this is your fall back school?

For people on the waitlist or in general is MSU your #1 choice and have you been accepted or waitlisted somewhere else and this is your fall back school?

This is my #1 choice, also accepted to DCOM, and on two other wait lists

MSU is also my top choice but I got accepted to my second choice kinda early. I didn't even bother going to my other ii

Berrytree, The Lodges, Hannah Lofts, The Hamptons, and lots of various little places.

From what I know, I would say the densest population is at Berrytree.
Note that the Lodges are full of undergrads. Just a FYI

It was my first choice. Truly was, but not so much anymore. I am waitlisted at wayne and hat is my first choice. I'm hoping and praying for there. I loved the program when I interviewed. I am actually at a struggle if I want to withdraw my application or not to remove myself from the waitlist. I don't want to though as I don't have a "solid" in yet. I have been referred to ABLE for CHM, and Dr. Norman at Wayne has been pushing for me to be in their post-bac program if I don't get pulled off of the waitlist so I don't have to reapply. Full tuition, books, and a stipend for the year. I would get some harder courses out of the way and lighten my load. Right now I'm ranking it as Wayne MD, Wayne Post Bac, ABLE CHM, COM. If I get pulled from the waitlist and have no other options I'll attend. Otherwise, I will go with the others based on the ranking above.

When I applied, I had a DO mindset. My thoughts have changed over the year. Ultimately though, I want to be a physician. I don't care about the initials at the end of the name. For me, it's about being able to have that career I love. My perspective has changed over the last couple of months. Although, the day I was supposed to tour I ended up getting into a car accident and totaling my car. The office was really, really nice and understanding about everything for missing a scheduled appointment (I'm that person that's 20 mins early everywhere). They were extremely caring. For me, I just would be happier at Wayne. I felt more at home there than at EL. Loved everything about the facilities and the program.

It was my first choice. Truly was, but not so much anymore. I am waitlisted at wayne and hat is my first choice. I'm hoping and praying for there. I loved the program when I interviewed. I am actually at a struggle if I want to withdraw my application or not to remove myself from the waitlist. I don't want to though as I don't have a "solid" in yet. I have been referred to ABLE for CHM, and Dr. Norman at Wayne has been pushing for me to be in their post-bac program if I don't get pulled off of the waitlist so I don't have to reapply. Full tuition, books, and a stipend for the year. I would get some harder courses out of the way and lighten my load. Right now I'm ranking it as Wayne MD, Wayne Post Bac, ABLE CHM, COM. If I get pulled from the waitlist and have no other options I'll attend. Otherwise, I will go with the others based on the ranking above.

When I applied, I had a DO mindset. My thoughts have changed over the year. Ultimately though, I want to be a physician. I don't care about the initials at the end of the name. For me, it's about being able to have that career I love. My perspective has changed over the last couple of months. Although, the day I was supposed to tour I ended up getting into a car accident and totaling my car. The office was really, really nice and understanding about everything for missing a scheduled appointment (I'm that person that's 20 mins early everywhere). They were extremely caring. For me, I just would be happier at Wayne. I felt more at home there than at EL. Loved everything about the facilities and the program.
I have a few friends in that program at Wayne. Good luck man when are you supposed to hear on that ?

Top choice but honestly as time went by, I do not feel valued as an applicant and wonder if that will translate also as a student.. Other schools truly made me realize how hard I've worked by at least acknowledging my app and giving me updates... it was pure silence since AUGUST... i'm a bit bitter about that and if it wasn't the better option financially and because of family matters, I would def go with a school that appreciates possible incoming students a bit more.

wait listed here and my top choice as well solely due to the tuition (at this point)

Just gave up my seat at this great school. Hoping it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Top choice but honestly as time went by, I do not feel valued as an applicant and wonder if that will translate also as a student.. Other schools truly made me realize how hard I've worked by at least acknowledging my app and giving me updates... it was pure silence since AUGUST... i'm a bit bitter about that and if it wasn't the better option financially and because of family matters, I would def go with a school that appreciates possible incoming students a bit more.
I wouldn't take it personally, although I know it's hard not to. At the end of the day, you are going to have amazing and compassionate classmates and go to a first class school. I guarantee 4 years from now, you would be happy with your decision to go to MSUCOM.

I don't think you can gauge the top schools for each student on this board since the people here typically are likely on the forums because they highly value the school.

Also a catalyst for the waitlist is OOS students, who may be accepted but most likely will go to another school for the tuition. Probably isn't as big of a factor but still every seat counts.

Hope all of us on the waitlist get to meet at MSU very soon.

Reactions: 4 users
I have a few friends in that program at Wayne. Good luck man when are you supposed to hear on that ?

Thanks! Honestly, they said no other notifications would be released until around April 30th. Anytime after that is when they said you could hear.

I don't think you can gauge the top schools for each student on this board since the people here typically are likely on the forums because they highly value the school.

Also a catalyst for the waitlist is OOS students, who may be accepted but most likely will go to another school for the tuition. Probably isn't as big of a factor but still every seat counts.

Hope all of us on the waitlist get to meet at MSU very soon.

Oh I absolutely highly value the school, otherwise I wouldn't have applied. After seeing more in depth of other programs though from interview day, my perspectives changed a little. New ranking, but would be honored at any location.

Rejected today after waiting since July 17. LizzyM between 65 and 70, two years of full time clinical work experience, and > 2000 hours of volunteer service in the healthcare and nonprofit worlds. I have no idea what this school even wants. Good luck to everyone else.

Rejected today after waiting since July 17. LizzyM between 65 and 70, two years of full time clinical work experience, and > 2000 hours of volunteer service in the healthcare and nonprofit worlds. I have no idea what this school even wants. Good luck to everyone else.

Wow... Sorry to hear that. Best of luck

On a side note, anyone know how they rank the wait list?

It honestly varies per cycle but I don't think a lot of us are going to hear until After April 30

It honestly varies per cycle but I don't think a lot of us are going to hear until After April 30

Hey! Where are you guys finding that accepted students at all MD medical schools have to commit to one acceptance by 4/30? Or is it DO applicants that have to commit to one acceptance by 4/30? I have been trying to look this up and have seen several dates such as 5/15 :(

Hey! Where are you guys finding that accepted students at all MD medical schools have to commit to one acceptance by 4/30? Or is it DO applicants that have to commit to one acceptance by 4/30? I have been trying to look this up and have seen several dates such as 5/15 :(
April 30 is the deadline for MD per AMCAS. May 15 is the deadline for DO.

Accepted today! Was not on waitlist. Although I still need to fulfill a course requirement and if that doesn't work out might have to ask for a deferral.

As someone has already answered, those are the dates, MD and DO, respectively. I was actually told, by the office at Wayne, that most of the waitlist movement actually occurs in the first two weeks of May as the date passes and they immediately start to send out acceptances from the waitlist so that they can have plenty of time to prepare.

Accepted today! Was not on waitlist. Although I still need to fulfill a course requirement and if that doesn't work out might have to ask for a deferral.

Be careful with this, I would do everything in my power to figure this out right now. I am not sure about COM in regards to this, but I know CHM classifies an unfilled course requirement as a reason that's not compelling enough to offer a deferment for. I would call immediately to find out. Congratulations! Good luck with your future in medicine! :D

Be careful with this, I would do everything in my power to figure this out right now. I am not sure about COM in regards to this, but I know CHM classifies an unfilled course requirement as a reason that's not compelling enough to offer a deferment for. I would call immediately to find out. Congratulations! Good luck with your future in medicine! :D
Yup they're already aware and helping me figure out my options. Thank you!