Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If 1000 people submit, they look at the first 200 people and make decisions by September?
Alright, here's the clarification. When you submit your primary/secondary to MSUCOM, they rank the top 20% according to an algorithm that takes into consideration GPA, MCAT, and volunteer hours. These top 20% applicants are then reviewed holistically by an admissions team member who then brings the applicant's file to the whole admissions team. As a team they decide on one of three decisions (accept, wait list, decline). I hope this helps clear up the confusion!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Alright, here's the clarification. When you submit your primary/secondary to MSUCOM, they rank the top 20% according to an algorithm that takes into consideration GPA, MCAT, and volunteer hours. These top 20% applicants are then reviewed holistically by an admissions team member who then brings the applicant's file to the whole admissions team. As a team they decide on one of three decisions (accept, wait list, decline). I hope this helps clear up the confusion!

Gotcha.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what if you are not in the top 20%, they just do not consider you?

Do you know how they weight these things? Just wondering because my GPA is kind of low, but my MCAT is slightly above average and my volunteer hours are in the thousands, hoping the latter will pull me through.

Do you know how they weight these things? Just wondering because my GPA is kind of low, but my MCAT is slightly above average and my volunteer hours are in the thousands, hoping the latter will pull me through.
I do not know exactly how they are weighted, but my impression is a good MCAT score and broad ECs (incl volunteer hours) are generally more important than a stellar GPA. Of course a huge MCAT/GPA disparity may raise a red flag... but really, the committee wants to see well balanced applicants with a dedication to (or at least an understanding of) the osteopathic philosophy. As long as your GPA and MCAT demonstrate your ability to complete the curriculum, I wouldn't stress out too much about the 20% figure that's being thrown around.

Anecdotally, my MCAT was well above the published MSUCOM averages and my GPA was well below.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! :)

I'm finishing up my secondary now, just gotta get a professional picture. Might have to attempt to take a nice selfie today I guess.

Hey guys!

So I submitted my application on 6/5/14 and it is still not verified.... Should I be worried?

Hey guys!

So I submitted my application on 6/5/14 and it is still not verified.... Should I be worried?

NOPE! I submitted mine the second it opened on the 1st and got verified june 14th. ALSO, my grades were verified in May so they really didn't have much to check on. Hope that helps.

Welp, just submitted my secondary application. I know my LoRs won't be in for a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed, ha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So what if you are not in the top 20%, they just do not consider you?

I am gonna assume that if they don't get enough seats filled by a certain time, they start digging in to that other 80%. One of my friends applied last cycle, late (end of September) with a low MCAT and still got on the waitlist.

How are people planning to approach the "What are your expectations of medical school" question? I feel like there's not much you can say besides "I hope to get a medical education..."

Is everyone okay with the higher tuition fees associated with MSU compared to other DO schools? I understand that MSU is a public school and well-known. But, I am not sure about the almost double tuition...

How are people planning to approach the "What are your expectations of medical school" question? I feel like there's not much you can say besides "I hope to get a medical education..."

You could talk about how much of a cakewalk it's going to be.
/s

The /s is supposed to indicate sarcasm.

I just talked about what I hope to get out of it and that I expect to work hard.

I got an automated e-mail sent at a very odd 2 am central time, that may need to be repeated a few times as the thread goes along.

Congratulations! Your application file is now complete. The Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine Admissions Committee meets twice each month to review applications. The Committee's recommendations may also be reviewed by the Dean. When the review process of your application is complete, you will be notified of the decision. We expect that the process will continue through mid-Spring. Feel free to check your application status at anytime within the application system.

Thank you for your interest in the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine.

I got an automated e-mail sent at a very odd 2 am central time, that may need to be repeated a few times as the thread goes along.

I have all the green checks and still haven't received a "complete" email. It says "Application Complete" though, is this an issue?

I have all the green checks and still haven't received a "complete" email. It says "Application Complete" though, is this an issue?

Wish I knew, I went back in the thread and saw you said you submitted on Wednesday the 11th. I submitted (everything) on Sunday the 15th. Maybe the e-mail could be in your spam filter? I also have the four green checks and it says that the application is complete. If it's not in your spam filter, I doubt it's anything to worry about, could just be the robot liked the letters in my name. I can 100% promise that it's in no way related to my stats.

Wish I knew, I went back in the thread and saw you said you submitted on Wednesday the 11th. I submitted (everything) on Sunday the 15th. Maybe the e-mail could be in your spam filter? I also have the four green checks and it says that the application is complete. If it's not in your spam filter, I doubt it's anything to worry about, could just be the robot liked the letters in my name. I can 100% promise that it's in no way related to my stats.

Indeed. Its also not in the communications tab so I assume it wasn't sent out. I sent them an email though. I hope they don't think I'm neurotic.

Just wondering when putting down item under Volunteer Experiance, would a position as a "Volunteer lab assistant" in a research lab count? Not too concerned about deleting it from that section if i had too, since i feel i have enough hours.. just wanted to know if it would be appropriate in their or no

Ok so I got a reply,

No, there are no confirmations sent. If all of the checkmarks are green and it says that the application is complete, then it is. Thank you. -MSUCOM

Just wondering when putting down item under Volunteer Experiance, would a position as a "Volunteer lab assistant" in a research lab count? Not too concerned about deleting it from that section if i had too, since i feel i have enough hours.. just wanted to know if it would be appropriate in their or no

Were you paid? If not, you volunteered your time. I didn't list my research hours because I received a grant for my work and once the funds ran up, it would be considered volunteer hours.

Last edited:
Ok so I got a reply,

No, there are no confirmations sent. If all of the checkmarks are green and it says that the application is complete, then it is. Thank you. -MSUCOM

Were you paid? If not, you volunteered your time. I didn't list my research hours because I received a grant for my work and one the funds ran up, it would be considered volunteer hours.

Did you get an confirmation email of a verified application from AACOMAS? When did you submit your application?

Did you get an confirmation email of a verified application from AACOMAS? When did you submit your application?

Yeah of course. I submitted the first day and was verified in a couple of days. It seems like there are a lot of people who have been held up by AACOMAS, maybe they're a bit behind.

Yeah of course. I submitted the first day and was verified in a couple of days. It seems like there are a lot of people who have been held up by AACOMAS, maybe they're a bit behind.
Oh PHEW! Okay I thought you submitted last week and was freaking out when you said yours was complete! Thanks again. Are you applying all DO?

Oh PHEW! Okay I thought you submitted last week and was freaking out when you said yours was complete! Thanks again. Are you applying all DO?

No, gonna try at my in-state public schools. The majority of them do holistic review so I might get some luck there.

Hmm, actually, I didn't think of this. I didn't put my research hours in because I didn't know if they would count, but if they do, that's a lot more hours to put it...

How long are everyones essays? Does it look bad to only use 150 words?

How long are everyones essays? Does it look bad to only use 150 words?
I did not hit the limit on any of the essays. Some were 200 and one or two were 100, everything else was in between, cept the first. I think they will appreciate being concise - they have to read thousands of these.

I did not hit the limit on any of the essays. Some were 200 and one or two were 100, everything else was in between, cept the first. I think they will appreciate being concise - they have to read thousands of these.

Lol I did the exact opposite and wrote as much as I could.

Lol I did the exact opposite and wrote as much as I could.
Eh, I consider this the "high school English essay" philosophy, where the more you write, the better. But for scientific writing and business writing, one of the best things you can do is simplify your writing, take out everything unnecessary, and write concise statements. I mean, the AdCom member reading your secondary will have to read your primary, your PS, your secondary... multiplied by however many he has to get through that day. Do you really think he's going to read every word once your start rambling? I assert with confidence that you probably sound a lot more interesting to yourself then you will sound to them. Better to write something short that answers the question and they will read all the way through than ramble and have them skim.

Eh, I consider this the "high school English essay" philosophy, where the more you write, the better. But for scientific writing and business writing, one of the best things you can do is simplify your writing, take out everything unnecessary, and write concise statements. I mean, the AdCom member reading your secondary will have to read your primary, your PS, your secondary... multiplied by however many he has to get through that day. Do you really think he's going to read every word once your start rambling? I assert with confidence that you probably sound a lot more interesting to yourself then you will sound to them. Better to write something short that answers the question and they will read all the way through then ramble and have them skim.

I mean it was basically a paragraph per question and I was straight to the point. Now you're making me worried :rolleyes:

I mean it was basically a paragraph per question and I was straight to the point. Now you're making me worried :rolleyes:
lol If you spent 250 words on one paragraph, that's a beast of a paragraph and it's probably not straight to the point. Most of those questions could be answered in two sentences if you were really that straight. I used to edit essays as a writing tutor, rambling is a common mistake.

lol If you spent 250 words on one paragraph, that's a beast of a paragraph and it's probably not straight to the point. Most of those questions could be answered in two sentences if you were really that straight. I used to edit essays as a writing tutor, rambling is a common mistake.

:(

Sorry. .___.
Your answers are probably fine, maybe just read them over a bit and edit for extraneous stuff. I'm willing to bet they haven't actually looked at any applications yet.

Sorry. .___.
Your answers are probably fine, maybe just read them over a bit and edit for extraneous stuff. I'm willing to bet they haven't actually looked at any applications yet.

Pretty sure you can't edit anything after its been submitted. Can only upload documents. Whatever. I'll stick with my answers! :cool:

Thank you for your interest in MSUCOM. Your research hours can be counted as volunteer hours if you did not receive a direct benefit such as credit or payment for your work.

For those you were wondering, the above is the answer I got about research as volunteer hours.

For those you were wondering, the above is the answer I got about research as volunteer hours.

Do you think leadership experience in undergrad like roles in student government would count as volunteering experience?

Do you think leadership experience in undergrad like roles in student government would count as volunteering experience?

I don't think so. That is more something extra-curricular. You're not really "benefitting" any one person or cause, which is, in my opinion, what volunteering entails!

I don't think so. That is more something extra-curricular. You're not really "benefitting" any one person or cause, which is, in my opinion, what volunteering entails!
I agree. It's certainly something good to include on the AACOMAS application under "Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service", but I wouldn't count it as volunteering hours on the MSU secondary. Sure, you can... but they'll see it either way... and I think it may look like you're fishing for hours and potentially diminish other volunteering activities by association. Unless you can mention specific things you did with student government that is of more benefit to others (e.g., cleaned up campus, managed bake sale for cancer research, etc.), I'd keep it solely on the AACOMAS application.

Just my $0.02. :)

I agree. It's certainly something good to include on the AACOMAS application under "Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service", but I wouldn't count it as volunteering hours on the MSU secondary. Sure, you can... but they'll see it either way... and I think it may look like you're fishing for hours and potentially diminish other volunteering activities by association. Unless you can mention specific things you did with student government that is of more benefit to others (e.g., cleaned up campus, managed bake sale for cancer research, etc.), I'd keep it solely on the AACOMAS application.

Just my $0.02. :)
Thanks! It's such a fine line though, I was my residence house president so I planned a lot of events for everyone else and did some fundraising for charity. Will probably not include it but I am a bit short for hours :laugh:

Thanks! It's such a fine line though, I was my residence house president so I planned a lot of events for everyone else and did some fundraising for charity. Will probably not include it but I am a bit short for hours :laugh:
Thankfully, the admissions staff and committee members I know are all great -- and aren't all about just ticking the boxes that are 'necessary' for acceptance.

If you have good numbers and experiences that make you a well-rounded person who has demonstrated compassion, intelligence, and drive, you'll be in the running.

Don't fret the small stuff. You've worked hard to get to this point, and it should show in your overall application. ... of course you should try to make sure your application and essays are as flawless as possible, but your self-reported hours and where you put specific activities are not the most important thing. Keep it honest and believable, and you'll be ahead of some applicants just due to that. :laugh:

Disclaimer: Of course the admissions office is the best resource to reach out to if you have specific questions regarding admissions requirements or procedures. Just know that our advice and experiences on here may not reflect the most current requirements/approach of the admissions team.

Last edited:
Did anyone get a secondary invitation before they had even taken their MCAT? Also, once received, what kind of deadlines did you get for submitting your secondaries?

Did anyone get a secondary invitation before they had even taken their MCAT? Also, once received, what kind of deadlines did you get for submitting your secondaries?

I can't answer your first question because I already had my scores when I submitted my primary, but to answer your second question; you are given a full 30 days as the deadline. When you log in to work on your secondary, it even has a countdown timer for you.

Do letters have to be in by the deadline they set for you?