Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am having trouble with the last question: "If you had to choose a different career path what would that be?"

I don't know why I am having such trouble answering this. But any tips would be greatly appreciated!
To me that question basically sounds like a "tell us something you're passionate about" mixed with "why medicine". I would probably work my response around answering those questions.

To me that question basically sounds like a "tell us something you're passionate about" mixed with "why medicine". I would probably work my response around answering those questions.

If you get the chance. Can I PM you my draft to the answer of this Q? No worries if you are busy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Am having trouble with the last question: "If you had to choose a different career path what would that be?"

I don't know why I am having such trouble answering this. But any tips would be greatly appreciated!

My approach to this was to answer "why medicine" and then choose a career that basically allowed me to still fulfill those goals, but in a slightly less direct way and basically say, "This would work too and I would enjoy it, but obviously isn't as good of a fit for me as medicine."

Reactions: 1 user
Since I haven't received the secondary yet, I'd like to ask: does anyone know if there is an additional essay for re-applicants? I know some schools do, and it wasn't clear in the post earlier in this thread if there was one.

Any insight is appreciated :)

Since I haven't received the secondary yet, I'd like to ask: does anyone know if there is an additional essay for re-applicants? I know some schools do, and it wasn't clear in the post earlier in this thread if there was one.

Any insight is appreciated :)

No. It just asks if you are one. One of the Adcom members holds me they look at your old app and see what changes occurred over the year.

I ended up turning my secondary in just over 3 weeks after I got it. Hope that doesn't hurt my chances too much, this is definitely my top choice DO school and I didn't want to turn in the essays until I had enough time to edit them.
If you have submitted the secondary application before the deadline given, I don't see why it would hurt your chances. They won't look at the application until August anyway.

I ended up turning my secondary in just over 3 weeks after I got it. Hope that doesn't hurt my chances too much, this is definitely my top choice DO school and I didn't want to turn in the essays until I had enough time to edit them.

I took my time with my secondary as well (submitted days before the due date and after people had been given acceptances), I was accepted so no need to worry. Better to put out the best secondary you can with MSUCOM since they typically don't give interviews :)

Ok, chance me...

I am a Canadian student so hoping to take advantage of MSU's canadian initiative.
sGPA 3.96, cGPA 3.97, non science 4.0
MCAT 31 (11/9/11)

My extracurriculars are just average...300 hours of research (but I did get course credit for these as well although the work was presented at several conferences so i am mot sure if i can still include this somewhere), 150 hours teaching (volunteer), 50 hours TAing, 50 hours peer health education...and other little stuff. I have shadowed an MD and am specifically trying to track down a DO as well.

I am almost done my primary but should i go ahead and submit? Or should i wait to get some DO shadowing in?

Also, please tell me it is not horribly late to submit? I was under the impression that July is a reasonable time to submit with reasonable stats. And correct me if I am wrong but the deadline to submit a secondary is different for everyone depending on when they receive it, correct?

Thank you for all the advice guys!

Ok, chance me...

I am a Canadian student so hoping to take advantage of MSU's canadian initiative.
sGPA 3.96, cGPA 3.97, non science 4.0
MCAT 31 (11/9/11)

My extracurriculars are just average...300 hours of research (but I did get course credit for these as well although the work was presented at several conferences so i am mot sure if i can still include this somewhere), 150 hours teaching (volunteer), 50 hours TAing, 50 hours peer health education...and other little stuff. I have shadowed an MD and am specifically trying to track down a DO as well.

I am almost done my primary but should i go ahead and submit? Or should i wait to get some DO shadowing in?

Also, please tell me it is not horribly late to submit? I was under the impression that July is a reasonable time to submit with reasonable stats. And correct me if I am wrong but the deadline to submit a secondary is different for everyone depending on when they receive it, correct?

Thank you for all the advice guys!
Hey poisonrain --
I'm not sure exactly how Canadian numbers tend to differ from US applicants, but I would cautiously say your numbers look really good (just know that fewer than 25 Canadians are normally accepted, so it's pretty competitive!). Congratulations on the great GPA. The letter requirements have changed pretty substantially from last year, so I can't be of much help with that.

You are still quite early in the season, but you should plan to get your AACOMAS application submitted soon. If you're able to get your MSU secondary in by mid-August, you're in good shape. However, I spoke with someone from admissions the other day and they've already received hundreds of (nearly a thousand?) secondaries... so things are piling up quickly.

Yes, I believe you are given a month to complete the secondary after they send you an invitation to complete it.

If you have questions specific to the Canadian program, I would recommend giving the office a call... They can probably put you in touch with a current Canadian student if you'd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding letters of rec., I have one from an MD who I've known and worked with for about 2+ years, and shadowed for 80+ hours, and I also have one from a DO who I randomly contacted at the University-affiliated hospital nearby and shadowed for about 40+ hours. The DO knows that I just needed a letter of rec. from a DO to meet the requirements of certain schools, but I also referred quite a bit to my experience shadowing her, some in my personal statement, and a lot in the first secondary question.
I know MSUCOM highly values the strength of the relationship between letter writer and receiver regardless of whether they are an MD or a DO, pushing me to use the letter from my MD letter writer...but in this situation, with the anecdotes about my experiences shadowing a DO, would I be hurting my application if I didn't send her letter? Writing this out, I feel like I should send both...(making for a total of 4 letters).

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Regarding letters of rec., I have one from an MD who I've known and worked with for about 2+ years, and shadowed for 80+ hours, and I also have one from a DO who I randomly contacted at the University-affiliated hospital nearby and shadowed for about 40+ hours. The DO knows that I just needed a letter of rec. from a DO to meet the requirements of certain schools, but I also referred quite a bit to my experience shadowing her, some in my personal statement, and a lot in the first secondary question.
I know MSUCOM highly values the strength of the relationship between letter writer and receiver regardless of whether they are an MD or a DO, pushing me to use the letter from my MD letter writer...but in this situation, with the anecdotes about my experiences shadowing a DO, would I be hurting my application if I didn't send her letter? Writing this out, I feel like I should send both...(making for a total of 4 letters).

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
I'd send both.

How is the environment at MSUCOM? Like student body, facilities, surrounding area

How is the environment at MSUCOM? Like student body, facilities, surrounding area
Student body is great -- lots of very friendly and collaborative people. Just be aware that it's also a very large (or very small) student body depending on your site. There are 200 in East Lansing, 50 in Detroit and 50 in Macomb. So... 300 total, but only 50 or 200 you work with directly.

My other comments are just about the EL site, though I've heard the Detroit and Macomb sites are nice. No doubt about it, Fee Hall is a bit rickety. However, it has just about anything you'll need! I love East Lansing... and though it's not quite like Ann Arbor ;) it's still a fun place to be. I personally chose against the other sites (and other schools) so I could live somewhere a bit younger with more of the college town feel. I'm happy to answer any more specific questions.

Reactions: 2 users
How quick are they with processing people exactly?

For the secondary, its usually a quick turnaround.

For acceptances, last year they would meet once a week on Thursdays (?) and call you by the end of the work day to notify.

"What is your legacy to your family, friends and the community at this point in your life?"

This question is frustrating the **** out of me

Reactions: 1 users
OK, I had to fill in for an emergency shift at the hospital and could not turn in my application at the assigned time. It has since closed on me, and I cannot find instructions how to reopen or extend my application time. I am FREAKING OUT

OK, I had to fill in for an emergency shift at the hospital and could not turn in my application at the assigned time. It has since closed on me, and I cannot find instructions how to reopen or extend my application time. I am FREAKING OUT

You should call them.

I emailed them, and will call when they open Monday. But I'm feeling really blue at the moment

Same thing happened to me last year. Just email them and they should give you an extension.

Same thing happened to me last year. Just email them and they should give you an extension.
Thank you for the advice Shinobiz11. Do you expect that this will taken into account when they evaluate my application?

Thank you for the advice Shinobiz11. Do you expect that this will taken into account when they evaluate my application?

I mean you had a month to get it in, unless you were super busy, it kinda looks bad on your part.

MSU COM won't send out a secondary application until the AACOMAS application is complete, right? Mine is still processing.

Submitted my secondary a few days ago. Best of luck to everyone applying here! :)

How long does it take AACOMAS to receive transcripts? I requested my university to send them and we're sent last Wednesday and they still aren't received. Trying to submit my primary since I know I'm already late.

How long does it take AACOMAS to receive transcripts? I requested my university to send them and we're sent last Wednesday and they still aren't received. Trying to submit my primary since I know I'm already late.

They should be receiving them soon (usually takes about a week or so), and you're not really late. A late applicant would be someone submitting their primary mid august so don't get too freaked out :)

I personally love the school and the area (great vibes all around), I'm a city girl so its nice that the EL campus is so big (its just big enough that it doesn't feel like high school all over again but you can get really connected with your classmate and staff). Only things is I wish the building was a little nicer/newer like the other campus (Macomb and DMC).

Reactions: 1 users
I just got my (second attempt) MCAT scores in on Tuesday and I'm a first time applicant. :)

Michigan resident
Undergraduate: 3.22 sGPA, 3.42 cGPA
Masters: 3.38 sGPA 3.45 cGPA
11/10/10 MCAT (up from 10/5/8 in 2011)
AmeriCorps alumni
Former MSUCOM employee (standardized patient at DMC/Maccomb; lab monitor at DMC)
Secondary submitted 7/10/14

I'm feeling pretty good about my application, but I'm so anxious about the waiting game. Does anyone know how long it takes for schools to get updated MCATs from AACOMAS?

Does anyone know if being on the wait list last year helps at all for getting in this year? I'm super nervous about sending in my secondary application!! To those wondering about the atmosphere at MSU it is absolutely wonderful! I went there for my undergraduate which is why I'm hoping to get in. Leaving has been extremely hard. East Lansing is a very nice area and the campus is gorgeous!

My secondary is due tomorrow morning, however it still says it has not received the LORs that Interfolio confirmed I sent over a week ago...

Does anyone know if being on the wait list last year helps at all for getting in this year? I'm super nervous about sending in my secondary application!! To those wondering about the atmosphere at MSU it is absolutely wonderful! I went there for my undergraduate which is why I'm hoping to get in. Leaving has been extremely hard. East Lansing is a very nice area and the campus is gorgeous!

I too am a wait list re-applicant. I was just in the admissions office last week and their admissions office seemed to say that every year an applicant is looked at freshly and they don't necessarily give preference to wait listed students, but they do look favorably on improvements between applications.

I just finished my secondary so GL to you!

My secondary is due tomorrow morning, however it still says it has not received the LORs that Interfolio confirmed I sent over a week ago...
I had a similar issue last year. Double check your interfolio account and make sure that you sent the LORs listing your AACOMAS ID as "XXXXXXX2015". So it should be your AACOMAS ID# without a dash between your ID number and the application year.

I sent mine in including a dash last year and it caused a lot of stress for me.

how detrimental would it be take my MCAT on august 27 for this upcoming cycle? sGPA is about 3.43 In State as well

how detrimental would it be take my MCAT on august 27 for this upcoming cycle? sGPA is about 3.43 In State as well

Is this a retake or first attempt? I ask because they don't give preference to when the application is complete but you are competing for less available spots if you are completed later in the cycle.

Is this a retake or first attempt? I ask because they don't give preference to when the application is complete but you are competing for less available spots if you are completed later in the cycle.
That's gonna be my first attempt

That's gonna be my first attempt

So your score will be released September 30th, and it still needs to be submitted and verified by AACOMAS. Assuming you already completed the AACOMAS before this time, the update should only take a few days to a week.

Their admissions website says, "September 1 is the last day you should be submitting your AACOMAS application if you are serious about applying to MSUCOM" (http://com.msu.edu/Admissions/Applying/Dates_Deadlines.htm). But I couldn't find details about if they require a MCAT for secondaries. If I where you I would call their office on Monday morning and ask if they will send a secondary with a pending MCAT score. If they say no, then I would just wait till next cycle to apply since the pool for MSUCOM is very competitive for a DO school.

You really need to make a decision if you feel confident enough that you will score well on the MCAT. Because you will be paying a few hundred dollars for the AACOMAS and the MSU COM application fees. As someone who tried to rush his applications 2 years in a row, looking back, I know I should have waited. However I was so determined that I refused to listen.

I'm having the same problem. I sent all of my letters through Interfolio, at the same time mind you, and only one has come through

I too am a wait list re-applicant. I was just in the admissions office last week and their admissions office seemed to say that every year an applicant is looked at freshly and they don't necessarily give preference to wait listed students, but they do look favorably on improvements between applications.

I just finished my secondary so GL to you!

Good luck to you as well!! Hopefully things will turn out better for the both of us this year :)

Aren't the due dates for the essay/payment portion of the secondary and the LOR submission different? When I submitted my secondary w/o LORs the timer on the front page disappeared. I took that as, now send in the LORs as fast as you can, but they are not subject to the "due date".

I have a question if anyone can assist, currently I am signed up to take organic chem in the fall, so should I put that in my primary? The problem is that I might switch it and take it in winter but I won't decide until my primary is submitted (money reasons). Should I just put it in fall and submit my primary regardless if I take it in the all or not?

I have a question if anyone can assist, currently I am signed up to take organic chem in the fall, so should I put that in my primary? The problem is that I might switch it and take it in winter but I won't decide until my primary is submitted (money reasons). Should I just put it in fall and submit my primary regardless if I take it in the all or not?
There is a spot on the secondary where they ask about prerequisites (check off what is done and write an explanation for anything that is not) -- just write your plans in that box. You can be conditionally accepted (needing to pass outstanding requirements with a "C" or better) without having everything done... and you just would have to fulfill all the requirements prior to the start of classes. Of course it's best to have everything done at the time of filling out the secondary, but you really should get that primary submitted soon.

So, yes! Don't wait to submit your primary on account of MSU.

So your score will be released September 30th, and it still needs to be submitted and verified by AACOMAS. Assuming you already completed the AACOMAS before this time, the update should only take a few days to a week.

Their admissions website says, "September 1 is the last day you should be submitting your AACOMAS application if you are serious about applying to MSUCOM" (http://com.msu.edu/Admissions/Applying/Dates_Deadlines.htm). But I couldn't find details about if they require a MCAT for secondaries.

They do send secondaries with pending MCAT scores.

I had a similar issue last year. Double check your interfolio account and make sure that you sent the LORs listing your AACOMAS ID as "XXXXXXX2015". So it should be your AACOMAS ID# without a dash between your ID number and the application year.

I sent mine in including a dash last year and it caused a lot of stress for me.

Can you kindly explain that statement further? I'm a little confused. Sorry!

Can you kindly explain that statement further? I'm a little confused. Sorry!
Sure,

When you setup a delivery in interfolio, you can specify to include you aacomas Id as a unique identifier. Typically aacomas will list your number with a dash in it. But msucom's system expects the dash to be removed. Make sure you removed the dash in your id or it won't match up in their system.