Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whats everyones thoughts on the 3 different campuses?? Going to visit the DMC this week...heard its a lot more modern
DMC and lansing are popular. Depends on whether you desire the traditional campus setting.

Members don't see this ad.

Just submitted my secondary except AACOMAS is being really stupid and has yet to get my MCAT scores... smh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just accepted the offer and paid my deposit! I cancelled my remaining interviews as well. Feels good to be completely done with my application cycle before September. Hopefully I'll see you in class next year. I'm from MI so if anyone from out of town has any questions about the area let me know. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Just accepted the offer and paid my deposit! I cancelled my remaining interviews as well. Feels good to be completely done with my application cycle before September. Hopefully I'll see you in class next year. I'm from MI so if anyone from out of town has any questions about the area let me know. Good luck everyone!
I wouldn't be surprised if you're the first incoming member of the class of 2020! Congratulations on having the shortest application season I've ever heard of. :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
Super envious! Having an acceptance ANYWHERE by October is my dream cycle. To have one at MSUCOM before September would be... Idk. haha. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Super envious! Having an acceptance ANYWHERE by October is my dream cycle. To have one at MSUCOM before September would be... Idk. haha. Best of luck to you!
Thanks!

Ok? Did you get an interview or are you trying to figure out your chances?

Sorry DrPatriot. New to this site and just figured out how to do this insert quote device. Last time I pressed + Quote instead of reply, lol. I was just answering the question about my gpa and mcat to my fellow Canadian applicants who asked. I have scheduled my interview for September!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry DrPatriot. New to this site and just figured out how to do this insert quote device. Last time I pressed + Quote instead of reply, lol. I was just answering the question about my gpa and mcat to my fellow Canadian applicants who asked. I have scheduled my interview for September!
Oh nice well best of luck to you! What part of Canada?

Hey all don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I submitted my letters about 3 weeks ago (a little under three weeks) through interfolio, and it hasn't updated my status. It says that it has been received in the document status button, but it still has a red check under the status section. I've called twice, and they just say to call back when it's three weeks, since someone else downloads the letters for them. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Hey all don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I submitted my letters about 3 weeks ago (a little under three weeks) through interfolio, and it hasn't updated my status. It says that it has been received in the document status button, but it still has a red check under the status section. I've called twice, and they just say to call back when it's three weeks, since someone else downloads the letters for them. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Hey! I had the same issue. I wouldn't worry about it. They have your letters in their system, they just haven't physically been downloaded and attached to your app. It took about four weeks after being "complete" for the letters to actually show up under document status.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I had the same issue. I wouldn't worry about it. They have your letters in their system, they just haven't physically been downloaded and attached to your app. It took about four weeks after being "complete" for the letters to actually show up under document status.
Ok thank you! I called once more and the problem was resolved. :)

//

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
August 25 I got the complete email

I got an interview on 8/6 and scheduled for Sept. 11 in the PM session. Pretty nervous about what to expect for their MMI. I've been practicing answering common MMI questions and just have been practicing discussing a topic for 6-8 minutes. What have other people been doing to prepare? Congrats to all of those who are already accepted and good luck to those who still have interviews or are completing secondaries.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but has anyone else who interviewed on Aug. 21st heard back and not posted? It seems like the school released a group of acceptances last week, but has been quiet this week.

Dose MSUCOM use PBL like MSUCHM does?
I honestly don't know too much about what PBL is in practice, and I haven't heard the term thrown around in regard to our curriculum, so I would have to say no; our curriculum is heavily based around lectures. We do have some aspects of the PBL paradigm in our education (e.g., in what we call "Evolve Clinics")... though I believe those have been discontinued for c/o 2019 and beyond.

I honestly don't know too much about what PBL is in practice, and I haven't heard the term thrown around in regard to our curriculum, so I would have to say no; our curriculum is heavily based around lectures. We do have some aspects of the PBL paradigm in our education (e.g., in what we call "Evolve Clinics")... though I believe those have been discontinued for c/o 2019 and beyond.

Thanks!

Yes, you are correct, @SpartanWolverine. Class of 2019 doesn't have Evolve Clinics, but we do have Integrative Reasoning Component for our courses. For example, over the summer we had Anatomical Correlates with our anatomy class. Basically using our newly acquired anatomy knowledge towards relevant medical practices we will be doing with our future patients and practicing these skills on one another. We are broken into groups of four for these sessions, but I wouldn't say it is PBL style.

Just got an II
Canadian, 3.94 GPA, 4.00 sGPA, and 34 MCAT (unbalanced score with 8 in VR)
You mentioned completely different stats on the Marian thread... What's up with that? Lol sorry if it seems like I am stalking you; my eye was just really drawn to that 4.0 GPA. Congrats on the II btw :)

Since I am home sick today I decided to start a Facebook group for the MSUCOM Class of 2020! If you have been accepted and are attending then PM me and I'll add you to the group.

Yes, you are correct, @SpartanWolverine. Class of 2019 doesn't have Evolve Clinics, but we do have Integrative Reasoning Component for our courses. For example, over the summer we had Anatomical Correlates with our anatomy class. Basically using our newly acquired anatomy knowledge towards relevant medical practices we will be doing with our future patients and practicing these skills on one another. We are broken into groups of four for these sessions, but I wouldn't say it is PBL style.
I feel like we are the guinea pig class for a lot of new ideas they wanna try out.

You mentioned completely different stats on the Marian thread... What's up with that? Lol sorry if it seems like I am stalking you; my eye was just really drawn to that 4.0 GPA. Congrats on the II btw :)

Sorry me and my friend share this account! She got the marian interview, I got MSU :p

Dr Patriot do you have military service? Just wondering because of the avatar! Or maybe an athlete?
Nope! No military service....yet lol (considering it). I'm just a regular guy who loves this great country.

Anybody know if MSUCOM will read ALL materials when reviewing someone, regardless of if they made a mistake in their personal statement. Reading back through my personal statement I found a couple phrases that might come off as making me seem conceited when I was trying to show my confidence and passion for becoming a physician :bang:. Hoping I'm not misunderstood right off the bat and ruining a chance at my dream school because of a mistake on my end. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Anybody know if MSUCOM will read ALL materials when reviewing someone, regardless of if they made a mistake in their personal statement. Reading back through my personal statement I found a couple phrases that might come off as making me seem conceited when I was trying to show my confidence and passion for becoming a physician :bang:. Hoping I'm not misunderstood right off the bat and ruining a chance at my dream school because of a mistake on my end. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
I would assume they would look at everything a candidate has submitted when making an admissions decision. Since nobody on here is a MSU ADCOM member I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer unfortunately.

So MSUCOM finally got my MCAT scores, but it still says app incomplete and I submitted the secondary in August. Anyone know how long it takes for it to officially be complete now?

Question about the MMI in general, when it comes to us asking questions, do interviewers give us a moment to answer questions at each station, or do they answer questions at the end? How does it work for that?
I don't think anything about MMI can be shared, including the format. You should really utilize a website called google.com if you want to have a general picture of MMI

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think anything about MMI can be shared, including the format. You should really utilize a website called google.com if you want to have a general picture of MMI
anigif_enhanced-buzz-12487-1368663820-15.gif

Is it going to be too late if I submit my secondary by the end of the week? It would still be within the one month that they give you, but just wondering since some people already got acceptances.

Is it going to be too late if I submit my secondary by the end of the week? It would still be within the one month that they give you, but just wondering since some people already got acceptances.
Nope, the DO cycle is a little more drawn out than the MD cycle. You are fine. Besides, it's only September!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hey, has anyone else who interviewed on Aug 21th, received a call?
Thanks

Anyone else been complete since the end of July who still hasn't heard anything yet? It sucks being the first cycle where all applicants will attend an interview because I can't really use last years thread for reference.

@NovMSScr I have been complete since July 30, letters show up and everything, and haven't heard a peep! I am in a Master's program, so maybe they are holding out on me until January since I am an underdog applicant? Not sure.

Anyone else been complete since the end of July who still hasn't heard anything yet? It sucks being the first cycle where all applicants will attend an interview because I can't really use last years thread for reference.

Right there with you

@NovMSScr I have been complete since July 30, letters show up and everything, and haven't heard a peep! I am in a Master's program, so maybe they are holding out on me until January since I am an underdog applicant? Not sure.
I submit everything on 7/13 but due to issues with AACOMAS letter service I wasn't marked complete until 7/25. I have no updates coming up though. I'm pretty sure I'm just on an unofficial hold.

Right there with you
Not knowing is the hardest part, haha. I'm not ready to give up on this one yet but from my research into other schools it doesn't look good once people who were complete a month after you start getting IIs.