Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At my interview they said they would interview roughly 900, accepting 450 for a class of 300. Odd

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yea I may be mistaken. I just remember there was roughly less than %50 chance after interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you get a confirmation email after scheduling your interview?
I already interviewed, but I didn't get a confirmation after scheduling the interview either. So, if you didn't, don't worry about it!

At my interview they said they would interview roughly 900, accepting 450 for a class of 300. Odd

I haven't sat in on any of the info sessions during interview days... but would be surprised if they told you 900 people -- we don't (at least currently) have enough days scheduled to handle that many applicants. The second numbers I could believe but COM generally has a pretty high yield.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mmm interesting. Guess there will be probably more interview days than I'm currently aware of, then!
Yep, that's exactly what I heard. 15% of applicants.

Edit: that was the 9/11 interview

Greetings Everyone!

I'm a Canadian applicant who's interviewing on Oct. 23rd (PM session)! It's my first time posting on this site (although I'm a frequent lurker :p ). May I ask for those of you (especially Canadians) who have already interviewed how you prepared for the MMI?

Greetings Everyone!

I'm a Canadian applicant who's interviewing on Oct. 23rd (PM session)! It's my first time posting on this site (although I'm a frequent lurker ). May I ask for those of you (especially Canadians) who have already interviewed how you prepared for the MMI?
No real way to prepare. Be concise and yourself, and you'll do fine.

Anyone else accepted OOS? It's difficult to stomach the total CoA, though I think other DO schools seem to be up there as well, about 60,000 tuition not including other expenses. I really do want to go here

Anyone else accepted OOS? It's difficult to stomach the total CoA, though I think other DO schools seem to be up there as well, about 60,000 tuition not including other expenses. I really do want to go here

OOS tuition is not automatically ~60k unless you are Canadian by the way. The tuition for OOS for 2016 is just under 86k if I remember correctly. Canadians get 20k off. Otherwise, you can apply and if you win a scholarship, there are scholarships that will reduce your tuition down to in-state levels which is ~43k, but from what I remember it is not renewable and you would need to reapply each year I believe. I could be wrong about that last part. But yea MSUCOM is crazy expensive :blackeye:

Last edited:
Does anyone know what we're supposed to do for the criminal background check and sending transcripts? They keep alluding to it, but do I need to apply for it before a certain deadline? Is there a form specific for the criminal background check or does the school just go ahead and do it and I don't need to even worry about it at all? And I assume transcripts can be sent whenever as long as its before the first day of classes?

Hi everyone! Is anyone else from the 9/11 interview date still waiting to hear back. The one month deadline ends tomorrow and I still haven't heard anything. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

Hi everyone! Is anyone else from the 9/11 interview date still waiting to hear back. The one month deadline ends tomorrow and I still haven't heard anything. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

Yeah still haven't heard back after my interview 9/11. I believe they said they are behind on reviewing applications due to members of admissions getting the flu. Hopefully we hear some good news soon

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it possible that a few people who interviewed on 9/30 have heard back, yet some people who interviewed on 9/11 still haven't heard anything.

How is it possible that a few people who interviewed on 9/30 have heard back, yet some people who interviewed on 9/11 still haven't heard anything.

I wonder if it has to do with being Canadian? Myself and the other that got accepted from the 9/30 group were both Canadians

Admissions told me last year that they try to let Canadians know early in advance so they have enough time to prepare for visa issues. It was also mentioned during my interview day that the length of time it takes to hear back doesn't necessarily depend on how well you did. It's a random process of assigning candidates to admissions members, some simply take longer than other members because of commitments. Don't give up hope!

Reactions: 1 users
Admissions told me last year that they try to let Canadians know early in advance so they have enough time to prepare for visa issues. It was also mentioned during my interview day that the length of time it takes to hear back doesn't necessarily depend on how well you did. It's a random process of assigning candidates to admissions members, some simply take longer than other members because of commitments. Don't give up hope!

Exactly what they told us as well this year. All depends on how long the admissions member you were assigned to takes (totally random). They said if you don't hear back after a month then you should give them a call

i am! looks like they just sent out an email about the status update though. fingers crossed!

i am! looks like they just sent out an email about the status update though. fingers crossed!

Yup, got that email as well. Nearly gave me a heart attack. Good luck!

Just trying to gauge opinions. Does anyone feel that attending the open house could have an effect on your application? I live in Michigan so it wouldn't be hard for me to go. So far I've been somewhat opposed to going because I feel like it would just be a tease for me to go, knowing that my application has been passed over (at least for now). A friend of mine commented that his roommate was wait listed at a school but was accepted later after attending an open house and meeting and chatting with some faculty. Obviously these two events could be entirely unrelated and he may have been accepted even if he didn't go to the open house, just one person's story. Thoughts?

Just trying to gauge opinions. Does anyone feel that attending the open house could have an effect on your application? I live in Michigan so it wouldn't be hard for me to go. So far I've been somewhat opposed to going because I feel like it would just be a tease for me to go, knowing that my application has been passed over (at least for now). A friend of mine commented that his roommate was wait listed at a school but was accepted later after attending an open house and meeting and chatting with some faculty. Obviously these two events could be entirely unrelated and he may have been accepted even if he didn't go to the open house, just one person's story. Thoughts?
In and of itself, no - visit days do not affect your status. However, if you're currently doing things that will warrant an update letter, the visit day may give you a bit more to talk about on top of recent accomplishments/coursework/etc. So they're certainly not a bad thing to attend. :)

In and of itself, no - visit days do not affect your status. However, if you're currently doing things that will warrant an update letter, the visit day may give you a bit more to talk about on top of recent accomplishments/coursework/etc. So they're certainly not a bad thing to attend. :)
As always, thank you for your advice. Much appreciated :)

for people who have gone and checked out the other campuses, did you just pop in or did you actually attend the 'See the sites' event?

Because on the acceptance page there are also dates that don't include the Oct 24th open house, are there any difference between the two?

for people who have gone and checked out the other campuses, did you just pop in or did you actually attend the 'See the sites' event?

Because on the acceptance page there are also dates that don't include the Oct 24th open house, are there any difference between the two?
Yes there is a difference. The dates on the acceptance page are student tours for accepted students. It is more personal.

See The Sites is open to the public so people in high school or those who might apply can attend for example.

Definitely go to an event don't just pop in without setting something up.

Could you guys share what the update email stated?
"Greetings Applicants,
I am writing to those of you who participated in an interview on Friday, September 11th who have not yet received a final admissions decision. Your application is scheduled to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee within the next two weeks. Therefore, you should expect a final decision no later than Friday, October 23rd.

Thank you for your patience with our new process. "

I have been complete here since the end of July/beginning of August and haven't heard anything back yet. Is this normal, or should I call admissions at this point?

It may be the lodges or Hannah townhouses. It's basically right across the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be wayyy too early to be thinking about housing... but during the interview day tour, one of the current students said there is a popular apartment building where almost half of her class lives. Anyone from the EL campus know where that is? Thanks in advance :)
My phone messed up and didn't quote you but I answered below!

Does anyone know what we're supposed to do for the criminal background check and sending transcripts? They keep alluding to it, but do I need to apply for it before a certain deadline? Is there a form specific for the criminal background check or does the school just go ahead and do it and I don't need to even worry about it at all? And I assume transcripts can be sent whenever as long as its before the first day of classes?
It mentions all of this in the packet you get in the mail when accepted. It looks like you need to get your student ID sent to you by admission's first. I am still waiting to get that. Did anyone who already paid the deposit receive their "netID"?

I have been complete here since the end of July/beginning of August and haven't heard anything back yet. Is this normal, or should I call admissions at this point?
I would have no definitive knowledge so take this with a grain of salt but I believe it is completely normal and you should just be patient. There are a few other people on here who haven't heard back yet either and have been complete since that time.

I would have no definitive knowledge so take this with a grain of salt but I believe it is completely normal and you should just be patient. There are a few other people on here who haven't heard back yet either and have been complete since that time.
Do you think that it would be appropriate to contact admissions with updates to our application, prior to being offered an interview?

Do you think that it would be appropriate to contact admissions with updates to our application, prior to being offered an interview?

Yes

There is a place on the portal to provide update letters. If you have any significant additions to enhance your app I would add them there. I don't believe there is a limit to the number that can be sent so you could in theory update them quite frequently. If you attend See the Sites on the 24th, meet with an MSUCOM advisor, went to the EL open house or add significant shadowing/volunteer experiences I would put them in an update letter. These (especially the MSU specific things) would definitely show your interest in the school and help your app in my opinion.

Again take what I say with a grain of salt. I am no adcom member, just a guy who wanted to go to MSUCOM above everything else and worked my ass off to get accepted lol!

Thanks! :) Are you a current student?
I'm waiting to hear back right now! I interviewed Thursday so fingers crossed I'll be a student next year :) But I went to MSU for undergrad so I'm extremely familiar with campus! I would also recommend checking out Oakwood apartments. I lived there for two years and it's a big hit with graduate students. They're only single apartments though so they're only good if you want to live alone. They're far from campus so you'd have to commute by car or bus but they have quiet hours during the night which is great for studious students. They're the best price for single apartments. Otherwise, definitely check out the lodges or Hannah if you're looking for somewhere close to the medical school

This may be wayyy too early to be thinking about housing... but during the interview day tour, one of the current students said there is a popular apartment building where almost half of her class lives. Anyone from the EL campus know where that is? Thanks in advance :)
Berrytree and Glenwood are the most popular that I know of, though some people also live at The Lodges and Hannah. The Hamptons is nice but I believe only 3BR units. All five are within walking distance to campus.

Thank you! I hope so too :) good luck with your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's too early to look at housing as long as you're committed! My SO and I actually just signed a lease this past Friday for Berrytree. We both really loved it there the apartments were really nice quality we thought (he has lived up there before in rather unsavory apartments lol) and it was reasonably priced for a 1000 sq ft 2 bedroom with nice appliances. Plus the location to the school is awesome and 24 hour gym access certainly doesn't hurt!

I don't think it's too early to look at housing as long as you're committed! My SO and I actually just signed a lease this past Friday for Berrytree. We both really loved it there the apartments were really nice quality we thought (he has lived up there before in rather unsavory apartments lol) and it was reasonably priced for a 1000 sq ft 2 bedroom with nice appliances. Plus the location to the school is awesome and 24 hour gym access certainly doesn't hurt!
Yeah, Berrytree is good. Just don't get a basement (they flood a fair amount + no balcony + creaky upstairs floors!)... I may have some experience with that. ;) They are renovating all of the apartments which is nice though. Now is the time to sign a lease for BT because their summer move-ins disappear quickly (most units are leased Fall-Fall but COM starts in June). The "gym" isn't great (but it is functional!), though the pools are nice and they have free coffee/tea/popcorn/snacks in the clubhouse :). They're also one of the few places around with 1BR units.

Hey All! This is my first post ever on SDN, I'm wondering if you all can help me?

I'm not sure if I should apply here. It's already mid Oct. and I'm OOS. They said 85% of their incoming class were all IS! And besides being later in the process, I dont know if my gpa is high enough for OOS? I have a 3.4 and 29 GPA and with 2 years of AmeriCorps experience. Not sure if I should just go for it.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hey All! This is my first post ever on SDN, I'm wondering if you all can help me?

I'm not sure if I should apply here. It's already mid Oct. and I'm OOS. They said 85% of their incoming class were all IS! And besides being later in the process, I dont know if my gpa is high enough for OOS? I have a 3.4 and 29 GPA and with 2 years of AmeriCorps experience. Not sure if I should just go for it.

Any help would be appreciated :)
Go for it! They do favor in state, but that number (85%) may be skewed by tuition costs as well.

Does anyone know what the tuition for out-of-state applicants is? I remember them telling us during the interview that this year the tuition will be reduced slightly.

If it makes you feel any better, I've also been complete since the end of July and haven't heard anything

Yeah, Berrytree is good. Just don't get a basement (they flood a fair amount + no balcony + creaky upstairs floors!)... I may have some experience with that. ;) They are renovating all of the apartments which is nice though. Now is the time to sign a lease for BT because their summer move-ins disappear quickly (most units are leased Fall-Fall but COM starts in June). The "gym" isn't great (but it is functional!), though the pools are nice and they have free coffee/tea/popcorn/snacks in the clubhouse :). They're also one of the few places around with 1BR units.

We were lucky enough to get a 3rd flood but we were considering basement for the price and now I'm definitely glad we decided not to do that! and we ended up being able to move in in May so it was perfect.
Do you normally just cook/ eat at your apartment and pack lunches for the days that you'll be in class all day? or do you/ people in your class tend to have meal plans as well? They seem expensive but extremely convenient so I'm not sure what I want to do yet

We were lucky enough to get a 3rd flood but we were considering basement for the price and now I'm definitely glad we decided not to do that! and we ended up being able to move in in May so it was perfect.
Do you normally just cook/ eat at your apartment and pack lunches for the days that you'll be in class all day? or do you/ people in your class tend to have meal plans as well? They seem expensive but extremely convenient so I'm not sure what I want to do yet
Nice -- sounds like you're all set to go. :)

I don't think many people purchase meal plans. There's no cafeteria in Fee so you have to go to one of the nearby dorms to use it -- which never sounded too useful to me. The pricing isn't terrible though.

We often have 12pm talks (i.e., state senators, residency directors, specialty "spotlight series", visiting professors, class meetings, etc.) that include food, so I go to a lot of those. Otherwise I just eat a good breakfast and then go back home for lunch -- you almost always have 12-1 free and other afternoon scheduling is variable. The only "fixed" schedule is class from 8-12 daily. If you want to pack food that's definitely an option, as we have a couple fridges in the student lounge.

I don't think many people purchase meal plans. There's no cafeteria in Fee so you have to go to one of the nearby dorms to use it -- which never sounded too useful to me. The pricing isn't terrible though.

We often have 12pm talks (i.e., state senators, residency directors, specialty "spotlight series", visiting professors, class meetings, etc.) that include food, so I go to a lot of those. Otherwise I just eat a good breakfast and then go back home for lunch -- you almost always have 12-1 free and other afternoon scheduling is variable. The only "fixed" schedule is class from 8-12 daily. If you want to pack food that's definitely an option, as we have a couple fridges in the student lounge.

Okay I'll hold off on that then
Thank you!!

Hi SpartanWolverine! Completely unrelated, but saw your name and could not help myself. Which side are you picking come Saturday? :)