Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing can be shared in regards to the interview unfortunately. We all signed non-disclosure agreements. They have some info about the interview with format on the secondary app portal when you are offered an interview. It's really hard to prepare for an MMI. Better to just relax and be yourself.

Hey DrPatriot,

I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about the MMI - are they generally ethical dilemmas? What is the structure (i.e. do you read a notecard outside the room, and then enter the interview room and outline how you would solve the problem)? how many MMIs are there and how long is each one?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed 9/30 and still havent heard anything yet... Cant believe they got to the individuals that interviewed on 10/8 before getting to us.....

Ya, interviewed on 10/8. Haven't yet heard back. Wondering when I would...

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Hollilover15,

Congrats on your acceptance!
I have my interview coming up in a few weeks, and I was wondering if you could elaborate on your experience of interview day. What was the schedule like? can you also elaborate a bit about the MMIs - were they generally ethical dilemmas? How many did you have and how long did you have to solve each one?

Unfortunately, I can't give out any specifics but I found it helpful to read about general issues in medicine, I also read the book Multiple Mini Interview by Samir P. Desai and I found it to be extremely helpful because it helped to practice and act out different scenarios which helped me to become more confident in myself.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh why aren't they getting to those on 9/30. I don't understand their system. Are the faculty that review apps on a specific date the same ones that review on all interview dates?

9/30 here, still haven't heard back. 2 days until the "1 month" timetable they originally gave us.

Reactions: 3 users
Unfortunately, I can't give out any specifics but I found it helpful to read about general issues in medicine, I also read the book Multiple Mini Interview by Samir P. Desai and I found it to be extremely helpful because it helped to practice and act out different scenarios which helped me to become more confident in myself.

Best of luck!
Thank you! I'll check out the book

Does anyone know how quickly the waitlist moves? any chance of getting off of it before mid December?

I'm really sorry to hear that but don't give up hope! Can you share about your experience? What do you think you did wrong?
Nothing...I literally think they waitlisted me because I had lower than average MCAT stats

Nothing...I literally think they waitlisted me because I had lower than average MCAT stats

I'm on the same boat with the MCAT. At least you're on the waitlist so you have a chance. I haven't heard a word(I've been complete since September). Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've just got put on the waitlist with a LizzyM of 66. The email said that there is not a strong possibility of me getting off, and that I might have to consider doing a pre-admission advising session.

I'm pretty bummed out.

Just accepted!

9/30 interview
3.4/3.4sgpa 29 old mcat, in state, 1000+ total volunteer hours.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess I'm in the high tier from calling. Does anyone know if they wait until the spring to start taking people off the waitlist? or is it possible to get off it this winter?

I guess I'm in the high tier from calling. Does anyone know if they wait until the spring to start taking people off the waitlist? or is it possible to get off it this winter?
It's probably possible as soon as they're done offering admissions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone that was waitlisted. Don't give up hope because MSUCOM gives acceptances until the very end. Two of my friends got in last year in May and they started in June!
Also the tier thing is new. I think this will help a lot of applicants to understand where they stand!

Everyone that was waitlisted. Don't give up hope because MSUCOM gives acceptances until the very end. Two of my friends got in last year in May and they started in June!
Also the tier thing is new. I think this will help a lot of applicants to understand where they stand!
Do they only offer seats from the waitlist once the class is full? For example, if come december, they've already offered 300+ seats, and not everyone has paid the deposit, do the leftover seats get offered to waitlisted candidates or do they just accept more from those that interviewed recently?

Do they only offer seats from the waitlist once the class is full? For example, if come december, they've already offered 300+ seats, and not everyone has paid the deposit, do the leftover seats get offered to waitlisted candidates or do they just accept more from those that interviewed recently?

Not exactly sure how it will work this year. I know when I got waitlisted last year, I was waitlisted in end of March and then didn't hear until the cycle was over. As for a friend, same thing happened to him, but then he heard in May. So with interviews being conducted for the first time here, I'm not completely sure what order they will follow.

What was your email when you guys got waitlisted? Does it really tell you where you stand in terms of the other applicants?

Anyone from the 10/08 interview hear back today?

I'm just curious as to how people find out their "waitlist rank", if there is one. Did you call for it?

Got the call around 11am today, accepted!

9/30 Interview
IS
GPA 3.57
sGPA 3.5
MCAT 28 (7 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS)
Lots of ECs and volunteer work

How does one join the facebook group?

Reactions: 4 users
I am wait listed as well, in the email it uses the word "optimistic" for admission. Is that the case for you?

I am wait listed as well, in the email it uses the word "optimistic" for admission. Is that the case for you?
Yes, I called and they said (kind of rudely) that the phrasing indicates the tier, in this case "optimistic you will be offered a spot"...sounds like others had more bleak phrasing.

For tier 2, they say something along the lines of "we were impressed with your credentials, if you're not offered a spot, please apply again"

Then I'm tier 3. :(

Mine is along the lines of "we were impressed with your credentials...we recommend an advising appointment", and that "there is not a strong possibility of joining the Class of 2020"

I wonder if getting waitlisted early in the cycle means anything. Either way, Best of luck to the rest of you.

I wonder if anyone else is on a low-tier wait-list.

Would it be a good idea to send update letters or transcripts at the end of this semester?
I'm doing a grad program in a hard science (WSU BMS), and I think showing good performance in Grad coursework can help.

From what I've heard here, Should I not try to get an Advising appointment/Application Feedback until like June if I get formally rejected when the cycle ends? :shrug:

I wonder if anyone else is on a low-tier wait-list.

Would it be a good idea to send update letters or transcripts at the end of this semester?
I'm doing a grad program in a hard science (WSU BMS), and I think showing good performance in Grad coursework can help.

From what I've heard here, Should I not try to get an Advising appointment/Application Feedback until like June if I get formally rejected when the cycle ends? :shrug:

I believe you should get an advising appointment sooner rather than later. This will help to validate your serious interest in attending MSUCOM. Also, if the advisors suggest any ways you can make yourself a better applicant, it is best to figure those out sooner rather than later. This is so you have adequate time to implement those changes before re-applying, though hopefully you won't have to! Update letters and transcripts are always helpful and can not hurt, but they won't have a significant impact on your standing.

Reactions: 1 users
@DrPatriot

What should I bring to the interviews? Should I bring a briefcase so I have a place to put my resume, my notebook, and my pair of flats? (I am female, so I would want to change into my flats from high heels when doing the campus tour). Thanks!

@DrPatriot

What should I bring to the interviews? Should I bring a briefcase so I have a place to put my resume, my notebook, and my pair of flats? (I am female, so I would want to change into my flats from high heels when doing the campus tour). Thanks!
To be honest I didn't bring anything to any of my interviews! You don't need that stuff for your interview unless you really want to have it for yourself for the presentations. Some people did bring a basic portfolio with a pen and pad to take notes.

I have never had to consider the heel thing being a guy but I didn't notice any ladies changing shoes. The tour isn't that long (I think you could do it in heels) but if you really wanted to bring flats I'm sure it would be fine to bring your suitcase and leave it in the briefing room and then change after the interview.

@DrPatriot

I'm a female who interviewed and I honestly suggest just wearing flats. I didn't wear heels and got accepted. Though I do understand if your pants are hemmed for heels. But it's best to just wear flats and bring nothing. If you call, admissions will tell you not to bring anything because it's just an unnecessary hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadians did you have any trouble crossing the border when going to your interview? Other than a passport is their any other documentation that needs to be shown?

Canadians did you have any trouble crossing the border when going to your interview? Other than a passport is their any other documentation that needs to be shown?
I was just asked for my passport but it would be a good idea to have the confirmation email!

Hey guys - I submitted my secondary a week ago and was marked complete a few days ago. How long after being marked complete did you guys hear back about II/rejection? My stats: Canadian, 3.91 GPA, 30 MCAT - I know its late in the game, but I'm hoping to get some love from MSUCOM

Anyone interviewing this Thursday want to grab dinner Wednesday night before?

Hey guys - I submitted my secondary a week ago and was marked complete a few days ago. How long after being marked complete did you guys hear back about II/rejection? My stats: Canadian, 3.91 GPA, 30 MCAT - I know its late in the game, but I'm hoping to get some love from MSUCOM

I heard about 10 days after I was complete so you should hear soon! Good luck :)

I've been following this forum the entire application cycle, but this is my first time posting.. I got an II this morning!! This is my first one, so it definitely made my day :)

Reactions: 7 users
submitted my secondary in July and just received an II today :) thought they had forgotten about me!

Reactions: 6 users
Being that the deadline is just around the corner, does anyone know if it's too late to apply here, especially as an OOS applicant? 3.6 GPA/29 MCAT

Its definitely getting later in the cycle but I wouldnt let that stop you! MSU has by far had the fastest turn around time for me. Less than two weeks after my secondary for an II and heard back from my interview within a few days (but could take a month). I'd say go for it!

Hello all,

My secondary has been completed since September 23 and have not heard anything from MSUCOM. This is my second time applying and I was waitlisted last year. Is there any reason to be concerned?

Hello all,

My secondary has been completed since September 23 and have not heard anything from MSUCOM. This is my second time applying and I was waitlisted last year. Is there any reason to be concerned?
Unfortunately nobody is going to be able to give you a definitive answer. Sometimes no news is good news. As long as you haven't heard anything back you are in the running still.

A person just received an II this morning who was complete in July. I believe you are fine. Just try and relax until they get to you. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately nobody is going to be able to give you a definitive answer. Sometimes no news is good news. As long as you haven't heard anything back you are in the running still.

A person just received an II this morning who was complete in July. I believe you are fine. Just try and relax until they get to you. Good luck!

Thank you for your response, DrPatriot.

Has anyone else heard back from the 10/23 interview? My boyfriend and I are applying together and I heard back a week ago but nothing for him yet. Just curious how many people did hear back!

Given an II yesterday afternoon by email. Secondary complete in July. I also spoke with an adviser today (scheduled an appt a few weeks ago). The adviser told me to date 385 interviews have been done and roughly 120 seats are taken. He also told me there are 3 more interview sessions scheduled currently (11/5, 11/13, 12/11). Figured I would share the info for those still waiting to here back. I was waitlisted last year and feeling very nervous given I finished my secondary in July and still hadn't heard back, but there is still hope.

Reactions: 4 users
To those who have paid their deposits, do you need to wait to receive your student PID before you can complete the prematriculation requirements and compliances? And if so, about how long did it take you to receive your student ID information?

Has anyone else heard back from the 10/23 interview? My boyfriend and I are applying together and I heard back a week ago but nothing for him yet. Just curious how many people did hear back!
Nothing yet!