Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when MSUCOM is sending out their next admissions status update email?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The deposit deadline is Dec 2, I believe. It would make sense to send one after that day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when MSUCOM is sending out their next admissions status update email?

I believe they send one update a month so I would guess it would come sometime next week

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the deadline was December 4th

I'm pretty sure if you're accepted before December, the deposit is due January 9, 2016. That's what it said in my admissions packet, and in my portal.

Last edited:
I think the deposits are due depending on when you got accepted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I think the deposits are due depending on when you got accepted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was also confused by this as well. I've heard Dec 4, Dec 14, and Jan 9. Personally, for me the portal site said Jan 9 but once we get closer to that day it will become like 30 days or so and once we get closer to June (for WL), the deadline will become almost close to 24 hours or something for some. So I will agree with lahaiesi and say it's dependent on acceptance date.

What day(s) of the week do the interviews usually fall on?

I need some help from my fellow applicants!!

I've never had this happen to me before so I'm not sure how to react or what to think about what just happened. So I recently submitted my secondary application (today) and paid the $100 fee and within minutes I got a complete email so I assumed it would be a few weeks before my ENTIRE application was reviewed before an II or rejection came. I came back from lunch an hour later and received an admissions email. Rejected.

I'm just curious on how that turn around was so quick . I am OOS but an hour?!

Just a little confused over here especially since I have seen a lot of other applicants playing the waiting game.

I've never had this happen to me before so I'm not sure how to react or what to think about what just happened. So I recently submitted my secondary application (today) and paid the $100 fee and within minutes I got a complete email so I assumed it would be a few weeks before my ENTIRE application was reviewed before an II or rejection came. I came back from lunch an hour later and received an admissions email. Rejected.

Just a little confused over here especially since I have seen a lot of other applicants playing the waiting game.

statement redacted

Last edited:
The deadline was 11/30
I thought everyone had 30 days from when they received their secondary to submit it? Was there a general deadline for all applicants as well?

I would just call the admissions office tomorrow and ask. That seems really strange to me. The last day they accept AACOMAS apps is Dec 15th so I don't think 11/30 can be the last day to submit a secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it really happened I can screenshot my status portal. It was really strange.
I think he typed something and then edited out his own comment--that's what he means by "statement redacted"

Also, @Crown1898 --why don't you just call Admissions today? What's the harm in doing so?

I think he typed something and then edited out his own comment--that's what he means by "statement redacted"

Also, @Crown1898 --why don't you just call Admissions today? What's the harm in doing so?

I called them yesterday after all of this happened and the woman the answered said she really couldn't tell me anything, but I might just call again and see if someone else has a different explanation because this just seems a little odd to me.

I called them yesterday after all of this happened and the woman the answered said she really couldn't tell me anything, but I might just call again and see if someone else has a different explanation because this just seems a little odd to me.
Try speaking to an admissions officer or call Katherine directly.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it really happened I can screenshot my status portal. It was really strange.

They thought that you missed the deadline to submit your secondary. Everyone has different deadlines based on having 30 days to complete your secondary from the day you receive it. @Crown1898 Just give admissions a call and politely ask if there was a mix-up or if they actually reviewed your application.

Accepted!!! Interviewed 10/23. Just got the call right now, it was a little bit over the 4 week mark they said they'd get back by. But better late than never. OOS

Thought I'd mention I felt like my interview did not go well at all, I guess it goes to show personal feelings about it don't really matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
AHHH!! WOW accepted! I'm in shock. Oh my gosh I can't believe it. What a day

Reactions: 8 users
Waitlisted today after waiting 6 weeks for a response. I actually felt pretty good about my interview walking out of it and my stats are competitive.

Hoping for the best.

Last edited:
Waitlisted today after waiting 6 weeks for a response. I actually felt pretty good about my interview walking out of it and my stats are competitive.

Hoping for the best.

Aww sorry to hear that but stay positive, 2 of my friends were waitlisted last year and were both accepted. When did you interview? And what were your stats if you don't mind sharing (I completely understand if you don't want to share).

Aww sorry to hear that but stay positive, 2 of my friends were waitlisted last year and were both accepted. When did you interview? And what were your stats if you don't mind sharing (I completely understand if you don't want to share).

Interview 10/23, 3.7 GPA, 30 MCAT 8/10/12.

I think I'm Tier 1 so at least there's that. MSUCOM is easily my #1 choice so hopefully it works out.

Interview 10/23, 3.7 GPA, 30 MCAT 8/10/12.

I think I'm Tier 1 so at least there's that. MSUCOM is easily my #1 choice so hopefully it works out.
I'm unsure about the school still, and I may end up giving up my seat since I was accepted to my 2nd choice school. It's extremely expensive for OOS students. Still haven't made up my mind, but I'm sure there's more than a few of us who are in that limbo. Hang in there, if you're tier 1 I would have high hopes about getting in.

I'm unsure about the school still, and I may end up giving up my seat since I was accepted to my 2nd choice school. It's extremely expensive for OOS students. Still haven't made up my mind, but I'm sure there's more than a few of us who are in that limbo. Hang in there, if you're tier 1 I would have high hopes about getting in.

Thanks for the kind words.

Hoping for some WL movement this week

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone who has interviewed here provide more information about the interview day? How was the MMI structured (# of stations and was there stations that involved traditional interview questions)? Notes allowed? Breaks? Did the school tour occur before or after the interview?

Any info would be great. The II invite email didn't provide much info in terms of interview itinerary.

Thanks guys/gals and congrats to those who have been accepted.

Hoping for some WL movement this week

Not sure if this matters or not but we do have an interview day on Friday of this week. So not sure if they will do waitlist movement before the interview date since its the last one this year.

Can anyone who has interviewed here provide more information about the interview day? How was the MMI structured (# of stations and was there stations that involved traditional interview questions)? Notes allowed? Breaks? Did the school tour occur before or after the interview?

Any info would be great. The II invite email didn't provide much info in terms of interview itinerary.

Thanks guys/gals and congrats to those who have been accepted.
Sorry, we can't discuss specifics of the MMI. You can try calling admissions to see what they say, but most of us on here will err on the side of extreme caution.:D There are two sessions most days (AM and PM). Within those sessions, half do the tour/panel first and half do the MMI first.

Sorry, we can't discuss specifics of the MMI. You can try calling admissions to see what they say, but most of us on here will err on the side of extreme caution.:D There are two sessions most days (AM and PM). Within those sessions, half do the tour/panel first and half do the MMI first.

Understandable! Thanks for the help.

Anyone turn down their acceptance last week?

Anyone turn down their acceptance last week?
I will be turning down my acceptance, I'm from NYC and MSUCOM is extremely far for me along with the tuition being very high for out of state students. It is an amazing school though, however with the combination of a couple of other factors I don't think it would be the best choice for me. Really hoping my seat goes to one of you waitlisters! You guys deserve an end to the wait list misery.

Any advice on interviewing in the morning vs. in the afternoon?

Statement edited.

Last edited:
As a Canadian who is first tier waitlisting can anyone give some insight into what my chances are of getting into MSUCOM this cycle. Looking at last years thread no Canadians commented on getting in off the wait-list, I am assuming that Canadians did get in off the waitlist but just didn't post it on SDN.... or maybe no Canadians actually got in off the waitlist :(.

Any thoughts?

As a Canadian who is first tier waitlisting can anyone give some insight into what my chances are of getting into MSUCOM this cycle. Looking at last years thread no Canadians commented on getting in off the wait-list, I am assuming that Canadians did get in off the waitlist but just didn't post it on SDN.... or maybe no Canadians actually got in off the waitlist :(.

Any thoughts?
Unfortunately, my understanding is that the Canadian spots are more or less filled with paid deposits. So, while it's not impossible that someone will get a better offer and leave MSUCOM, I don't think it's extremely likely at this point in the season. Hope you prove me wrong, though!

Any thoughts?

I'm a Canadian who was on the waiting list last cycle (application was received late) and have been accepted this year. Like SpartanWolverine mentioned, it's not impossible that there may be some movement, and there are still a couple of months to go until June so don't give up. I definitely recommend meeting with one of the advisors (Anne Snyder) to see how you can better your application though. I know it's depressing to think about, but the better prepared you are the better of an outcome you can guarantee for the future. All the best!

I'm a Canadian who was on the waiting list last cycle (application was received late) and have been accepted this year. Like SpartanWolverine mentioned, it's not impossible that there may be some movement, and there are still a couple of months to go until June so don't give up. I definitely recommend meeting with one of the advisors (Anne Snyder) to see how you can better your application though. I know it's depressing to think about, but the better prepared you are the better of an outcome you can guarantee for the future. All the best!

Hey, when did you get wait-listed last year? I had the Nov 5th interview and I got first tier waitlist as well.

Hey, when did you get wait-listed last year? I had the Nov 5th interview and I got first tier waitlist as well.
It sounds like they were on the waitlist last year but didn't get in. Then they reapplied this year and got accepted.

I'm interested to see the applicant update letter before the Christmas break.

Btw does anyone know if msucom tends to be more of a statistical based school (in terms of admissions) or do they look more at the entire person?

They definitely look more at the entire person. Stats do play a big role though don't get me wrong

Btw does anyone know if msucom tends to be more of a statistical based school (in terms of admissions) or do they look more at the entire person?

I had a pretty low MCAT score but I have a really strong fit to this school. I think if you have one or two low categories but are more exemplary in other areas you have a good chance.

I had a pretty low MCAT score but I have a really strong fit to this school. I think if you have one or two low categories but are more exemplary in other areas you have a good chance.
Totally agree with you there. One thing I've noticed after a few years of hearing peoples' stats is that MSU is pretty generous in letting some aspects "make up" for others that may be below average. So, they won't usually toss an application just because one of your numbers (GPA, MCAT, volunteering hours, research experiences, etc.) is lower than average -- as long as you have convincingly demonstrated you can handle the academic rigor of medical school.

Congratulations to everyone who interviewed today! Hope you all had a good experience! Let me know if you have any questions from your panel/tour that went unanswered. :)

Congratulations to everyone who interviewed today! Hope you all had a good experience! Let me know if you have any questions from your panel/tour that went unanswered. :)
I interviewed today and I had so much fun doing it! Talking to the student panel was really cool and I thought it was awesome that they were saying how everyone is like a family it definitely was a huge one up for me because that is the type of environment I love :) I can't wait to hear back!