Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know if Canadian applicants are only considered for the Canadian Initiative Program, or if we are also considered for general admissions with american applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know if Canadian applicants are only considered for the Canadian Initiative Program, or if we are also considered for general admissions with american applicants?
From my understanding MSUCOM only takes 20-25 Canadians under the Canadian Initiative Program, the rest of the seats are for IS and OOS applicants.

Mini-rant:

It sucks, because I can't defer my undergrad loan payments until I'm registered as a medical student! And from what I understand, we're not officially registered as students until we get these PID/PAN ID numbers set up.
Paying back monthly student loans, while trying to save up for medical school, especially when my paychecks are garbage, is a struggle lol.
Received mine in the mail today.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Mini-rant:

It sucks, because I can't defer my undergrad loan payments until I'm registered as a medical student! And from what I understand, we're not officially registered as students until we get these PID/PAN ID numbers set up.
Paying back monthly student loans, while trying to save up for medical school, especially when my paychecks are garbage, is a struggle lol.
Received mine in the mail today.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
We're still not enrolled until sometime in March according to the letter

Question for Canadians: How do you guys plan on paying for tuition/expenses with the Canadian dollar being so low? I've heard that student line of credits in Canada max out at 250K CAD.

So I am pretty sure at this point I am rejected (On WL, but am Canadian, and I think all Canadian spots are gone.) So, I failed haha

I was wondering if anyone knows if MSU COM allows you to call or email admissions to talk about improving your application in anyway if possible....

So I am pretty sure at this point I am rejected (On WL, but am Canadian, and I think all Canadian spots are gone.) So, I failed haha

I was wondering if anyone knows if MSU COM allows you to call or email admissions to talk about improving your application in anyway if possible....
I believe you're correct that all of the Canadian spots are filled with deposits paid. Though it's possible someone will drop their spot, it's probably pretty unlikely at this point.

Admissions is absolutely happy to set up an appointment to discuss your application. Just give them a call. :) Alternatively, I believe you can schedule through this form: http://advising.com.msu.edu/

Has anyone else been waitlisted? I was tier one waitlisted in early January and was curious as to what to do next or if anyone could shed light on the timetable or process? Thanks

Would it be worth it to send a letter of intent to MSU-COM ?
Hey did you end up sending a letter of intent? And who would you address this to? The dean of med school or Dr Rugar? Or just general admissions dept

Last edited:
Question for Canadians: How do you guys plan on paying for tuition/expenses with the Canadian dollar being so low? I've heard that student line of credits in Canada max out at 250K CAD.
Basically you have to get a student loan + home equity line of credit. At least that's how I'm doing it. You'd obviously need help either way from a cosigner for your student loan, so it's not actually more difficult, you just obviously need to have property in your cosigner's name but I'm assuming if you can get a student line of credit your cosigners probably have decent credit to begin with. I was able to secure 650k with both together and that's how I'm doing it. It helps cover my living expenses for the 4 years + all the interest payments that I'd need to make, and I did it assuming the dollar will stay low till I graduate (I think its safer to do that than to expect the dollar to improve and, if it doesn't you end up not having funds to finish your degree....)

Last edited:
Basically you have to get a student loan + home equity line of credit. At least that's how I'm doing it. You'd obviously need help either way from a cosigner for your student loan, so it's not actually more difficult, you just obviously need to have property in your cosigner's name but I'm assuming if you can get a student line of credit your cosigners probably have decent credit to begin with. I was able to secure 650k with both together and that's how I'm doing it. It helps cover my living expenses for the 4 years + all the interest payments that I'd need to make, and I did it assuming the dollar will stay low till I graduate (I think its safer to do that than to expect the dollar to improve and, if it doesn't you end up not having funds to finish your degree....)

Been meeting with banks this week and this seems like the way to go. Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know when MSUCOM sends out the final rejections? Also would it be appropriate to contact them in regards to why I never received a II even though I'll be attending a different school?

Has anyone else been waitlisted? I was tier one waitlisted in early January and was curious as to what to do next or if anyone could shed light on the timetable or process? Thanks
Search this thread, and you'll find answers to your questions! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Also would it be appropriate to contact them in regards to why I never received a II even though I'll be attending a different school?
Yeah I believe it wouldn't be. What would you accomplish by asking? Take your acceptance and be happy, you truly are living the dream and on your way to becoming a doctor. They had over 5000 applicants for a class of 300, the majority of people didn't receive an II. Nobody is entitled to an II at any school just because other schools showed interest in them.

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I believe it wouldn't be. What would you accomplish by asking? Take your acceptance and be happy, you truly are living the dream and on your way to becoming a doctor. They had over 5000 applicants for a class of 300, the majority of people didn't receive an II. Nobody is entitled to an II at any school just because other schools showed interest in them.

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile app
It would satisfy my curiosity. MSUCOM was my top choice and I was really hoping to be accepted. Nobody said I was entitled to a II, but I was a competitive applicant with ties to the school and area.

Just received a Waitlist offer for the second tier. At this point of the cycle, what are my average chances of getting in from tier 2?

Interviewed in January, yet to hear anything back. Received the February update today and now I am wondering if I have any chance at all? Or should I just be expecting the rejection email at this point?

yup February update just released....let the panic commence
Hope to hear for a II even if its just for a waitlist spot.

yup February update just released....let the panic commence
Hope to hear for a II even if its just for a waitlist spot.
Yeah I just saw it too. I am your boat too...do they have waitlist for II? When did you submit your secondary?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

297 deposits paid. Starting to look bleak for us on the WL....

Last year the massive final rejection letters went out in early March, after the class was full. Looks like this cycle is shaping up to be the same timeline.

Last year when I was wait listed, I wasn't rejected until classes started so they'll accept all the way up until orientation so you won't know if for sure if you're rejected until then if you're wait listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Last year when I was wait listed, I wasn't rejected until classes started so they'll accept all the way up until orientation so you won't know if for sure if you're rejected until then if you're wait listed.

What Tier were you in?

Only the Macomb site is available too

I remember the admission's rep saying something similar to this when I met with them. I wasn't waitlisted last year so that explains why I got the rejection letter earlier than you.

I think I heard them say the tier thing is new for this year.
Yea when I met with someone in June I asked how we were ranked and they said they were going to start letting wait listed applicants know their place in line so they know what their chances are.

Yea when I met with someone in June I asked how we were ranked and they said they were going to start letting wait listed applicants know their place in line so they know what their chances are.

Unfortunately, the tier's don't help much when you look at the chances of being accepted within each tier. I'm in tier 2, and as it's 50/50, I have no idea what would improve my chances of getting in or if people are ranked within each tier--for instance, I was WL'ed in october, but some tier 2's were just WL'ed now. Does that mean I have a better chance since I submitted earlier? It's unclear. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, the tier's don't help much when you look at the chances of being accepted within each tier. I'm in tier 2, and as it's 50/50, I have no idea what would improve my chances of getting in or if people are ranked within each tier--for instance, I was WL'ed in october, but some tier 2's were just WL'ed now. Does that mean I have a better chance since I submitted earlier? It's unclear. :(
Yea that's hard. You can maybe schedule an appointment to go over your app and how to better it if you need to reapply next year and then ask for further explanation of your ranking

Yeah I just saw it too. I am your boat too...do they have waitlist for II? When did you submit your secondary?

No clue if there's a WL for II. But I was complete by October and I flew into Detroit just for the open house..so really hoping on getting a II. Starting to plan on reapps

Do MD schools have a deadline that might shake up these deposit numbers, or can it be assumed that there are around 20 seats left?

Anyone know of any acceptances since the last interview date on Jan 26? Does the update mean they would have called by now or is there still time to be accepted from the last interview date?

No clue if there's a WL for II. But I was complete by October and I flew into Detroit just for the open house..so really hoping on getting a II. Starting to plan on reapps
I was complete in August and I haven't heard back since then so idk. Yeah I am in the same boat. Best of luck....

So I applied in late August with 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA (with no grade replacements), 506 MCAT and no II :(. ECs and LORs are great, except no DO LOR. I just saw their update and although my sGPA is on the low-ish side, I would've expected something from them. What's wrong with me MSU? :(

Last edited:
So I applied in late August with 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA (with no grade replacements), 506 MCAT and no II :(. ECs and LORs are great, except no DO LOR. I just saw their update and although my sGPA is low the low-ish side, I would've expected something from them. What's wrong with me MSU? :(
Wouldn't take it personally. Don't beat yourself up over it...at least you're accept to a med school. congrats!

Anyone know of any acceptances since the last interview date on Jan 26? Does the update mean they would have called by now or is there still time to be accepted from the last interview date?
I interviewed then too... Wondering the same thing

So I applied in late August with 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA (with no grade replacements), 506 MCAT and no II :(. ECs and LORs are great, except no DO LOR. I just saw their update and although my sGPA is low the low-ish side, I would've expected something from them. What's wrong with me MSU? :(
Were you in or out of state?

I interviewed January 15 during the A.M. session.

I also interviewed this day and haven't heard a response yet....not feeling too optimistic after seeing the February update :/

Wouldn't take it personally. Don't beat yourself up over it...at least you're accept to a med school. congrats!
Thanks! And I really fell in love with the school I got into.
The perfectionist in me is just thinking what I could have done better. No one likes to know the app that they've put their heart into has just been thrown into the "silence" pile. But ahh..whatever!

Last edited:
That's the biggest factor right there. MSU could easily fill the class with excellent out-of-state applicants, but, as a state school, needs to take most of its students from within the state.
Agreed. I was going to say that's probably your biggest downfall which is good and bad. Luckily, it's nothing against your stats but unfortunately, it's nothing you can change. If you reapply next year, you may have an advantage as it'll show your dedication to the school. Especially if you communicate with a counselor throughout the summer.

Is there a facebook group already set up for those accepted? and if there is, how do i join?

Quick question: Was anyone else on here tricked into believing their application was complete, only to receive an email stating that the application process was closed? I sent my $100 and secondary to MSU in early November and just received an email today saying I missed the deadline.

Called a rep and they said to make an appointment with an advisor and that it is my fault that their system took my money and did not submit my application because I should have contacted them about it by now...

Would like to hear any thoughts.

Quick question: Was anyone else on here tricked into believing their application was complete, only to receive an email stating that the application process was closed? I sent my $100 and secondary to MSU in early November and just received an email today saying I missed the deadline.

Called a rep and they said to make an appointment with an advisor and that it is my fault that their system took my money and did not submit my application because I should have contacted them about it by now...

Would like to hear any thoughts.
Yep, same thing happened to me. Submitted secondary in November, and have the receipt from them saying it was successfully submitted.