Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. 500 words maximum
2) How does the career of a physician fit with your characteristics and skill sets? 500
3) What is your legacy to your family, friends and the community at this point in your life? 500
4) If you had to choose a different career path what would that be? 250

I sent a message to hopefully get the first post modified.
Thank you.
Is the supplemental available on their website or was it emailed after primary was received and processed?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. 500 words maximum
2) How does the career of a physician fit with your characteristics and skill sets? 500
3) What is your legacy to your family, friends and the community at this point in your life? 500
4) If you had to choose a different career path what would that be? 250

I sent a message to hopefully get the first post modified.

I'd like to clarify that question #3 is 250 words max, not 500.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to add to that whole umich email address thing, I got my secondary yesterday on my umich email but when I went into the email. It says it was sent 5 days ago, on June 26th. It is super strange, did anyone else have problems with this? Should I change my email for future things?

Submitted! (Just waiting on LOR's through AACOMAS). Immediately after hitting submit the MCAT was marked received as well.

What on earth is meant by this prompt?

What is your legacy to your family, friends and the community at this point in your life?

Like what sort of impact have we made already? What our future actions mean to these groups?

+1

Just submitted! My application is marked as complete on the portal.
How were your letters sent to MSUCOM? I Submitted 7/1 and my letters through AACOMAS are still marked incomplete. Although CCOM has already verified my letters so I don't believe they were corrupted. I do remember it saying something about 2-3 weeks though

How were your letters sent to MSUCOM? I Submitted 7/1 and my letters through AACOMAS are still marked incomplete. Although CCOM has already verified my letters so I don't believe they were corrupted. I do remember it saying something about 2-3 weeks though
I sent my letters through Interfolio on 6/26!

I am having the same issue, my LOR and MCAT are incomplete............... Submitted 6/28

I just wanted to add to that whole umich email address thing, I got my secondary yesterday on my umich email but when I went into the email. It says it was sent 5 days ago, on June 26th. It is super strange, did anyone else have problems with this? Should I change my email for future things?
I had the same problem. I called the school and the admissions counselor told me that they have trouble sending to UMich emails and that they had sent mine 5 days prior and I just hadn't received it. I made a new email and got it the same day. I am unsure if we will have problems with any other schools sending secondaries but I was not too happy about losing out on 5 days for nothing o_O

I am having the same issue, my LOR and MCAT are incomplete............... Submitted 6/28
I just realized today that you have to go to the AAMC website and authorize that they sent your MCAT score to AACOMAS, the scores aren't sent there automatically. Reason a lot of schools haven't been able to send me a secondary yet :smack:

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what has everyone been doing for the photo upload? Are we expected to have photos professionally done or just any picture in which we are dressed in professional attire?

Also, what has everyone been doing for the photo upload? Are we expected to have photos professionally done or just any picture in which we are dressed in professional attire?
Any picture where you look professional is good (i.e., a recent picture of just you, dressed nicely, with no offensive slogans or such on shirts, etc.). Just try to use common sense. It doesn't have to be professionally done!

I just put on a nice shirt with a tie and had someone take a picture of me against a plain wall. I don't think it has to be done by a professional photographer or anything.

Spoke with MSUCOM today on the phone, they reported that they were experiencing difficulties with downloading LOR's from AACOMAS. Interfolio was advised as the best route currently.

How does this school feel about not finishing their prerequesite courses ? They want you to have 3 semesters hours worth of Genetics...... I never took a specific course that is dedicated to Genetics....On the secondary app, they ask you how you plan to complete the requirements, so I assume they expect you to somehow take a Genetic course in community college prior to matriculation ? Or maybe you can take it while you are in med school ?

How does this school feel about not finishing their prerequesite courses ? They want you to have 3 semesters hours worth of Genetics...... I never took a specific course that is dedicated to Genetics....On the secondary app, they ask you how you plan to complete the requirements, so I assume they expect you to somehow take a Genetic course in community college prior to matriculation ? Or maybe you can take it while you are in med school ?

As I understand it, you need it prior to matriculation so I would do it at a community college or your current institution if you can

Since they have had trouble downloading LORs from AACOMAS, should I try to send my letters through virtual evals? I've already submitted, should I call them and tell them to try to get my letters through virtual evals. All my letters are saved on my university's letter service and I can only send through virtual evals. Has anyone had luck with virtual evals? Just not sure what to do to get my LORs in and get complete.

Since they have had trouble downloading LORs from AACOMAS, should I try to send my letters through virtual evals? I've already submitted, should I call them and tell them to try to get my letters through virtual evals. All my letters are saved on my university's letter service and I can only send through virtual evals. Has anyone had luck with virtual evals? Just not sure what to do to get my LORs in and get complete.
When I spoke with admissions on the phone. She recommended sending them through Interfolio if I had them on there ( I did). So I sent them through interfolio as well as AACOMAS. Now my letters are still marked incomplete, but 2/5 of my letters are shown as received when I click the LOR tab on their portal.

When I spoke with admissions on the phone. She recommended sending them through Interfolio if I had them on there ( I did). So I sent them through interfolio as well as AACOMAS. Now my letters are still marked incomplete, but 2/5 of my letters are shown as received when I click the LOR tab on their portal.
Can we send our letters through both? I have had some trouble with several letters on aacomas, but I have 3 letters that have already been sent and 3 more that need to be re-submitted due to errors. Do you think it would make more sense to send the letters through interfolio that I'm resubmitting? Do they take awhile to send them out?

Can we send our letters through both? I have had some trouble with several letters on aacomas, but I have 3 letters that have already been sent and 3 more that need to be re-submitted due to errors. Do you think it would make more sense to send the letters through interfolio that I'm resubmitting? Do they take awhile to send them out?
Thats how I took it . I explained on the phone that I had sent my letters via AACOMA, she said that they had encountered issues downloading and it was unknown when they would be able to retrieve them. Knowing this she recommended that I submit through interfolio. Theses are all the same letters I sent through AACOMAS so I dont think the duplicates will be an issue.

Thats how I took it . I explained on the phone that I had sent my letters via AACOMA, she said that they had encountered issues downloading and it was unknown when they would be able to retrieve them. Knowing this she recommended that I submit through interfolio. Theses are all the same letters I sent through AACOMAS so I dont think the duplicates will be an issue.
Mine are different letters, due to many of my authors not using official letterhead or signing the letters :unsure:...I got interfolio to re-send those letters, but I am banking on AACOMAS coming through for the 2 letters that were good to go...not sure if I should just send all of the letters again, but interfolio is quite a bit to send each letter. Not sure what to do :smack:

Is anyone else having a problem uploading their photo??

Check the size of the photo. They have size limitations on the portal or try cropping it (you only really need a headshot)

Turned in my AACOMAS app June 2nd and as of July 7th did not have a single letter delivered to MSUCOM. Subscribed to interfolio July 10th and had all letters there July 11th lol....I don't understand why AACOMAS didn't give a disclaimer saying their letter delivering was going to take an extra month before I waited all this time :bang:

Last edited:
Yup, definitely having photo upload issues. My photo is the correct size and I even tried both chrome and firefox with no success. I get an error page saying they know about the issue and are working on fixing it. Hopefully I'm not the only one experiencing this?

Yup, definitely having photo upload issues. My photo is the correct size and I even tried both chrome and firefox with no success. I get an error page saying they know about the issue and are working on fixing it. Hopefully I'm not the only one experiencing this?
I am also experiencing this. I cannot upload a picture!

I am also experiencing this. I cannot upload a picture!

I emailed them over the weekend and all I had to do was send them my photo and they took care of the error for me. I've submit the secondary and am just waiting on my LORs now

anyone else stillllll waiting on those LOR's and MCAT's? I'm getting pretty stressed about it.

anyone else stillllll waiting on those LOR's and MCAT's? I'm getting pretty stressed about it.
Still waiting on both of mine as well! This AACOMAS system is literally the most frustrating company I have ever dealt with...:bang:

How long did your MCAT take to be marked as "official" after sending it to AACOMAS via THX? I sent mine July 5th and have yet to have it verified.

Less than a week I believe. I sent them from THX on 6/29 and I'm pretty sure they appeared on my app by the 1st of July.

Ugh.....literally every part of dealing with AACOMAS has been a struggle for me lol....just resent it, hopefully it will arrive soon.

Is there a spot on AACOMAS where it says if they have our mcat?

Score shows up as official now but none of my secondaries show an official score yet. Took a little over 1 week.

Score shows up as official now but none of my secondaries show an official score yet. Took a little over 1 week.
school need to update with aacomas once a while, my secondary at msu is officially completed today, they start to download ur mcat score

Anyone know how long AACOMAS verification usually takes? I submitted my application June 30th and have been stuck on "verification" for a while (MCAT scores and transcripts were received prior to June 30th).

Anyone know how long AACOMAS verification usually takes? I submitted my application June 30th and have been stuck on "verification" for a while (MCAT scores and transcripts were received prior to June 30th).

Right now, about 4 weeks. I submitted on the 19th of June (with everything else in already) and was just verified this morning.

App complete! Called and was told mini interviews will begin at the end of August and they wont start screening our applications until September though so it's still really early.

App complete! Called and was told mini interviews will begin at the end of August and they wont start screening our applications until September though so it's still really early.

they are doing interviews this year?? I thought they just accepted students based on the primary+secondary apps!?