Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I received my notification that I was placed on the alternate list, it included a sentence stating there are no guarantees, but I should be optimistic about getting an invitation before 4/1. Did anyone receive a similar message? Has anyone been accepted off the alternate list recently?

I'm confused, is this a pre-interview hold or a post-interview waitlist? It said you would hear something by 4/1?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused, is this a pre-interview hold or a post-interview waitlist? It said you would hear something by 4/1?

Post-interview waitlist, however it did not say I would hear something by 4/1, but rather that I could be "optimistic" about hearing something by 4/1. I immediately was skeptical, as I would not expect movement off the waitlist until after 4/30. Although, it did get me excited, but my excitement is dyeing down as 4/1 approaches. I was just wondering if anyone was expecting to hear something by 4/1 also?

Reactions: 1 user
Post-interview waitlist, however it did not say I would hear something by 4/1, but rather that I could be "optimistic" about hearing something by 4/1. I immediately was skeptical, as I would not expect movement off the waitlist until after 4/30. Although, it did get me excited, but my excitement is dyeing down as 4/1 approaches. I was just wondering if anyone was expecting to hear something by 4/1 also?

Interesting. I was WL in October, with the 1st tier "optimisic" but with no mention of 4/1. I guess we'll see, please keep us posted. Hopefully they send out the March update soon. I'll be neurotically on stand by until I get a final answer from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got my pre interview rejection after submitting my secondary in August...nice to get some closure.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Greetings Applicants,

Below is a monthly update inclusive of the current status of the admissions process:

All AACOMAS Applicants: 5395
Applicants Interviewed: 637 (interviews are complete)
Seat Deposits Paid: 314 (includes Canadian)
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 25
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 28.5/505
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.64

Site Selection:

Detroit Medical Center: At capacity, currently a waitlist
Macomb University Center: Available seats remaining
East Lansing: At capacity, currently a waitlist

Please note that phone calls to the office slow the process, but please refer to our Waitlist FAQ on our website. Most movement happens throughout April and May. Should you no longer wish to be considered for the 2016 application cycle, please contact us at [email protected] with your intent to withdraw your application.

Best wishes,

MSUCOM Admissions

So I guess this means there's 11 more spots for Americans and interviews are over...wonder if they're going to start contacting Tier 1's.

I didn't receive the update email...weird. I wonder if they took the accepted students off of the app update emails?

I didn't receive the update email...weird. I wonder if they took the accepted students off of the app update emails?
I didn't get it either so it must have just been an update for people who are waiting to hear back.

Interesting. I was WL in October, with the 1st tier "optimisic" but with no mention of 4/1. I guess we'll see, please keep us posted. Hopefully they send out the March update soon. I'll be neurotically on stand by until I get a final answer from them.

I think all first tiers said the optimistic part but mine also had no mention of 4/1 and I received the email earlier this month. The only thing I've seen about 4/1 is on the portal saying if you don't hear by then you should make an appointment. Hopefully this means people on the waitlist may hear before the end of April/Beginning of May. Especially since there's still spots available

Last edited:
Rejected pre interview today...saw it coming I guess.

But...does anyone feel like this cycle was weird for AACOMAS? And MSUCOM gpa average is 3.64? That's insane.

Compared to last year, this cycle sucks a lot.

I think there could be waitlist movement after April 30th. I think people tend to put down deposits to hold onto more than 1 acceptance for the time being.

If any of you guys did not get lucky this round applying i HIGHLY recommend you make an appt. with one of the advisers. I have had friends last cycle who couldn't get in, made a meeting and it made a world of differences for them. The advisers will tell you what to do. It wont be the typical "score better on the mcat" talk.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If any of you guys did not get lucky this round applying i HIGHLY recommend you make an appt. with one of the advisers. I have had friends last cycle who couldn't get in, made a meeting and it made a world of differences for them. The advisers will tell you what to do. It wont be the typical "score better on the mcat" talk.
I actually signed up for one of these appts as soon as they sent me my rejection email.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

If the last interview date was March 4th (I think that was it) I wonder if they have those final decision out yet or not... I hope they start giving spots out to those waitlisted soon!

I called the office and they had zero answers. Does anyone know how many people usually get off the waitlist? I know last year they had more applicants than usual because people were trying to apply without having to take the new MCAT, so they probably didn't get very far down the waitlist last year, not sure if this year is the same or not. I know there was some speculation about how many people were on the waitlist, but does anyone have any more info on this either?

I don't understand why adcoms have to be shady about this stuff, we have to plan our lives accordingly and it doesn't effect them to let us know the past years stats of how many people were waitlisted and how many got off the waitlist. This whole process is so frustrating, I just wish they'd be more up front and transparent about everything. We all understand that you're trying to fill your class, but it seems with the number of applicants that shouldn't be a problem at all. #rantover

I called the office and they had zero answers. Does anyone know how many people usually get off the waitlist? I know last year they had more applicants than usual because people were trying to apply without having to take the new MCAT, so they probably didn't get very far down the waitlist last year, not sure if this year is the same or not. I know there was some speculation about how many people were on the waitlist, but does anyone have any more info on this either?

I don't understand why adcoms have to be shady about this stuff, we have to plan our lives accordingly and it doesn't effect them to let us know the past years stats of how many people were waitlisted and how many got off the waitlist. This whole process is so frustrating, I just wish they'd be more up front and transparent about everything. We all understand that you're trying to fill your class, but it seems with the number of applicants that shouldn't be a problem at all. #rantover
I hear you out man, all medical schools gotta be more transparent. Good luck to you

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Anyone else's waitlist offer mentioned being optimistic of hearing back by 4/1?

Does anyone know approximately how many people are placed in each Tier? I think that would help me figure out my chances more

Guys you'll drive yourself crazy if you try to crack this da Vinci code. Adcoms won't release this info and speculating only makes the anxiety worse . If you got an interview be happy that's 80% of the battle. If you don't get lucky this time, ask for feedback as improve next cycle. Other than that best of luck to all of you on the wait list. I was in your shoes last year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think they take into account if you schedule an appointment when pulling you off the wait list? I don't want to schedule and appointment because if I don't get in I'll be going elsewhere. BUT state is my number one choice so I want them to know I want to go there.

Do you think they take into account if you schedule an appointment when pulling you off the wait list?

Just my opinion but I highly doubt it. The appointments are to help people focus on areas to improve in order to reapply and increase their chance of an acceptance.

Do you think they take into account if you schedule an appointment when pulling you off the wait list? I don't want to schedule and appointment because if I don't get in I'll be going elsewhere. BUT state is my number one choice so I want them to know I want to go there.
Best thing you could do on the wait list is update them through the portal of any meaningful experiences since you interviewed and maybe write an LOI (can't hurt in my opinion but who knows if it helps.)

Just spoke with Dr. Rugar. Tier 1 have 100% chance, tier 2 have 99% chance and tier 3 have 98 % chance of acceptance =). See you everyone at the orientation.

At this point probably closer to 2% 1% and 0%

In what context did she say this? I find it unlikely with how many people seem to be on the wait list. And that's that how she explained them at the interviews.

Just spoke with Dr. Rugar. Tier 1 have 100% chance, tier 2 have 99% chance and tier 3 have 98 % chance of acceptance =). See you everyone at the orientation.

In what context did she say this? I find it unlikely with how many people seem to be on the wait list. And that's that how she explained them at the interviews.
I said it in the context of April Fools =). I see many of us are so anxious to get pulled from the waitlist, so I just wrote a wishful thing that most of us will be pulled from the waitlist. I know its hard, but there really isn't much we can do at this point, other than sending update letters and patiently wait. I really hope we can all meet at the orientation day!

I said it in the context of April Fools =). I see many of us are so anxious to get pulled from the waitlist, so I just wrote a wishful thing that most of us will be pulled from the waitlist. I know its hard, but there really isn't much we can do at this point, other than sending update letters and patiently wait. I really hope we can all meet at the orientation day!
Haha, the joke might have scared some people

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Man everyone is ruthless today ha. in all seriousness the hot time for wait lists to move will be late April to mid may.

Don't do that to me, my heart cant take it *swoons*

I just got accepted off the waitlist! Tier 1, interviewed 10/23.

Hang in there guys, it can happen!

Reactions: 10 users
Withdrew my acceptance to this program, I really hope one of you guys gets it! :)

I got the call today that I was accepted into the 2016 entering class!! I was interviewed 1/26, waitlisted tier 1, got the call this morning from Lansing at 11:47! GPA 3.93 MCAT 500.

I kicked myself so much for having a low MCAT and being unlucky because we didn't really know what a good MCAT score was this cycle. I believe MSU looks passed all that which makes me love them even more! Keep your hopes up and stay optimistic waitlist warriors! Your time will come!

Reactions: 4 users
I got the call today that I was accepted into the 2016 entering class!! I was interviewed 1/26, waitlisted tier 1, got the call this morning from Lansing at 11:47! GPA 3.93 MCAT 500.

I kicked myself so much for having a low MCAT and being unlucky because we didn't really know what a good MCAT score was this cycle. I believe MSU looks passed all that which makes me love them even more! Keep your hopes up and stay optimistic waitlist warriors! Your time will come!
Congratulations!

I wonder if there were only a handful of openings and they finished drawing from the waitlist on Monday...

I wonder if there were only a handful of openings and they finished drawing from the waitlist on Monday...

I'm sure there will be more people coming off the waitlist but who knows when. How long did those accepted Monday have to accept/decline and pay the deposit?

I'm sure there will be more people coming off the waitlist but who knows when. How long did those accepted Monday have to accept/decline and pay the deposit?

I agree. I've always heard that the waitlist sees the most movement from late April through May.

As for my admissions offer, I had until April 23rd to pay the seat deposit.

People in my class were pulled off as late as May 25th so don't lose hope

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Accepted today.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users